Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
Xcacel
Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

I took some time yesterday, while listening to this particular show, to put together a deep review. Most of you probably already know 99% of this, but still it might be useful for someone.

⚫ Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center
A detailed review

➡ The moment: If you ask to a random DMB fan what his favourite tour in 30 years of DMB is, he’d probably say fall ’98 or summer ’00. Quoting “Dave Matthews Band – Music for the People” (N. Martell): "The fall tour, which started on October 26 and lasted though year’s end, was a sold-out hands-down phenomenal box office blast. Most shows sold out within mere minutes or hours of being put on sale”. Fall'98 tour in fact, together with the previous summer tour in the stadium, launched DMB at the very top of musical industry: the touring magazine Pollstar releases that Dave Matthews Band was the second top-earning live act of the year, earning an estimated $40.1 million, behind Elton John ($46.2 million).

On December 19, 1998, the band concluded this never-ending year: 114 shows, a spring tour in the stadiums, then a European summer tour, a late summer tour in the States and also some dates in South America, before the fall tour that went all across United States and Canada (34 dates). And it was a big event: for the first time a DMB show was webcasted live, by the Rolling Stone Network and JAMtv. Thousands of people watched for the first time the band online, and of course someone recorded the stream, which was the first pro-shot video of DMB (Listener Supported DVD would be released only the following year).
If you are one of the few in these boards that never got the video, you can find it in Zach channel. However, since the video is not the best in terms on colours and overall quality, I’ve been working on it, trying to enhance it a little bit (click below for more details and for the download link). The result cannot be compared by any means to any HD video but made me rediscover some parts of this great show.
Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Download link: https://mega.nz/file/KdRVVCLY#lNMmjf...V0ucxOae-R7TKA

➡ Curiosities: The show was released only two years later, on October 23, 2001, as Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center (or simply Live in Chicago 12.19.98), and it was the third live album released by the band (fourth, if we also consider Remember Two Things), after Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95 and Listener Supported.

Due to the extreme popularity of the band at that time, the album sold 1’000’000 copies, so it was certified RIAA Platinum on January 8, 2002. In fact, in terms of album sales, it is the third top selling DMB – live album, together with Live at Folsom Field (2002), and behind Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95 and Listener Supported (1999), which both reached 2.0 million copies (2x Multi-Platinum).

Despite such big numbers, part of the fanbase was disappointed by Live in Chicago, at that time: most people were expecting a post LWS live album, recorded during 2000 or 2001, with live versions of Bartender and Grey Street, whereas this album was seen too similar to LS. These are a couple of reviews back in time:
Quote:
With this ninth release, the Dave Matthews Band officially have more live albums than studio discs. Which is OK; the jam-band kings are, after all, a group that must be seen (or at least heard) live to be truly appreciated. Even so, it’s kind of hard to appreciate the two-CD Live in Chicago 12.19.98.
It’s not that the performance and set list on this show aren’t up to snuff, because they are. The main problem: The show is three years old. And given that the band a) just finished a summer tour; b) recorded shows for the purpose of issuing a new live album, and c) still has an unreleased studio album fans are clamouring for, this CD seems like an unnecessary stopgap at best and a pointless cash-in at worst. They could have made better use of their time. And ours.
Quote:
Shortly after the Lillywhites' appearance on the Web, members of the band promised to sate their fans' appetite for an official release of the songs with a future live album that would include concert staples from the shelved sessions like "Grey Street," "Bartender" and "Grace is Gone" in one form or another. Yet in what may be an attempt to stand behind Everyday and wait a little bit longer before bending to the wishes of the fans, the band chose to release Live in Chicago, which doesn't include any songs from either 2001 release. Instead, it offers yet another version of several songs that have appeared on at least two of the four previous DMB live albums, "#41," "Jimi Thing" and "Crash Into Me" among them.
The album was produced and mixed by John Alagia (together with Jeff Juliano), at Dragonfly Studios, Haymarket, Virginia. Alagia, the man who could get the better sound from a DMB live concert. And, apparently, he wasn’t too happy about the result. It is not a secret that parts of the show were edited - notably Boyd's solo in "Lie In Our Graves". The overdub of BT in LIOG (and apparently, also in Jimi) took place later, in another studio (Dreamland recording, Hurley, NY) and is clearly visible comparing the SBD to the released version, or more easily, watching the original audio from the webcast. See here: https://youtu.be/T6HAuJhiSDc]https:/...e/T6HAuJhiSDc:

There has been always a strong debate about which fall ’98 release is better, LiC or LT1. At least three similar polls were opened here on Ants during the years:
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...d.php?t=334575
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...d.php?t=321401
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...d.php?t=193228

Putting together all the result from those old polls, here is what we get:
https://images2.imgbox.com/c2/a2/xM56aFyG_o.png
So, I guess, this can go over and over ...

➡ People at the show:
I always like to go back to the reviews of people who actually attended a show: you can see them at Nancies.org archives. I would love the stories of anyone here who attended the show or saw the webcast that day of December.

➡ Album Highlights:
Wow, there is a lot, in this release, that can be considered an highlight. In terms of guest, performances, sound, we are talking about an outstanding album. But if you ask me to choose what is making this album so special, I will list the following:

- Tim.
- A legendary disc 1.
- Victor Wooten and Maceo Parker.
- The Maker
- The mix.

Let’s have a look at the setlist:

Disc 1:
Last Stop
Don't Drink the Water
#41 (with Victor Wooten)
(#40)
Lie in Our Graves
What Would You Say (with Maceo Parker)
Heartbeat (Pantala Intro) >
PNP >Rapunzel
Stay (without the ladies!)

Disc 2:
The Maker (with Victor Wooten and Mitch Rutman)
Crash Into Me
Jimi Thing
So Much To Say > Anyone Seen The Bridge? >
Too Much
Christmas Song
Watchtower Intro >
All Along the Watchtower

What a disc 1! Let's play it!

➡ Track-by-track Listening
(note: ⚫ = outstanding version)

⚫ “This is our last stop here....last stop in Chicagooo”. The emotion that builds up in “The Last Stop” intro is tangible, and Dave is almost going to explode. The first half of song is so intense and powerful, and ends with a great Roi’s solo, with an incredible fast picking from Tim (and Carter beyond all of that). But probably, what makes this version outstanding is the calm reprise, with a long outro. One of the best versions of one of the best tunes in DMB catalog.

• After an intense “Don't Drink the Water”, we have one of the coolest moments of the night, when Dave says “I’d like to introduce a good friend of ours that happens to be in town: Victor Wooten on the bass guitar (this part was cut out from the CD, but you can find it here). Wooten (who had also guested earlier in the tour, on November 21th, with Béla and The Fleckstones) is the added value that makes this version of "#41" one of the best ever played, if not the best. About three wonderful minutes of solo, with the crowd going nuts, Wooten is just majestic.

• After that, "#40" (tease) and the LIOG with the infamous BT overdubbing. A pretty good version, if you can handle the overdubbing: Tim makes actually a great solo in the second part of the song, which is very enjoyable to me.

⚫ Another highlight of the show is "What Would You Say", feat. Maceo Parker. I find quite interesting what Dave said in this interview at Entertainment Weekly, on May of the same year, about WWYS:

Well, they played it in Chicago; and Maceo Parker who guested also the previous two nights (December 17 in Ames, Iowa and again on December 18 at The MARK of the Quad Cities in Moline, Illinois), delivered a great performance for the two minutes that he was given. I didn’t know Maceo before hearing him here. I’ve found out that he is actually a funky sax legend: not only he played with James Brown (“the Godfather of Soul” as Dave remembers in LT40”), before starting his solo career. He also guested with several very diverse artists: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Keith Richards, 10’000 maniacs, and of course Dave Matthews Band; his shows have something in common with DMB ones, since they are (were) usually three-hour-plus marathon performances, authentic live experiences. Maceo Parker’s solo is great, but in the second part he walks away from his microphone (you can see it around min. 46:55 of the video) and the rest of his solo gets lost.

⚫ From a sax master to another one. In Heartbeat intro (here listed as "Pantala Intro") Roi (and Tim) shows his magic. Every intro in ’98 was magic (even if my absolute fav is 1998.11.30 - First Union Center - Philadelphia, PA - DMBlive Vol. 26). If you compare the two version, there are two major differences:
- On 1998.11.30 there is no Tim, just Roi (at his top).
- The mix is totally different.
Indeed, this mix is different, also for the choice of channel: Roi is on the left (usually he is on the right), while Tim in on the right channel; also I find that the snares cover a very wide range, which I like.

• The segue into "PNP>Rapunzel" is excellent as usual, the sound of the band is very tight, and one can appreciate how Dave’s has developed here, sounding much less nasal and very versatile.
Last two minutes of Rapunzel are just gorgeous, Roi takes his solo, but the overall outro is a great all-together performance.

• This impression is confirmed on "Stay": the band that night was on fire, Roi and Tim are the two stars (where was BT?). Short but intense.

⚫ Disc2 opens with another epic performance: Vic Wooten and Mitch Rutman join the band on stage for "The Maker", which had only been played once since 1994 prior to this version – and that’s why this became the absolute reference for this tune for a while.
The two guitars (Mitch on right, Tim on the left) and the inimitable Wooten’s style on the bass add a unique flavour to this 9 min version, which is still one of the most appreciated by the fan base. After that, "Crash Into Me".

• "Jimi Thing" has a great jam, with Roi and Tim on the rocks. About Tim: A guy that was at the concert commented that "Tim Reynolds was in prime form, up there looking like Joey Ramone up there with his glitter shirt and pants combo on." He slides in the floor like a real rockstar (01:34:30) and let’s anybody realise, one more time, that he is the real star of the night. Top performance.

• TR makes quite special also "So Much to Say". He is so clear in the mix, which I personally like; I think that Alagia (and Juliano) made a good job (well, the editing/overdubbing can be argued), if we compare this mix to other releases of the same period. But here I would like to hear the opinion of the most experienced people here.

• Tim riffs continues in the segue with "Anyone Seen the Bridge" and "Too Much", then Dave introduces "Christmas Song" by saying "This is a non-denominational tune, it's just a song I wrote about an amazing guy who got screwed." It is Christmas time, almost, and there is a great photo in the album booklet, by Sam Erikson, of Dave and Tim celebrating Christmas time on the same night (probably before the show). It is the only photo in the liner that refers to that night, as the one with Dave and Carter is from another show.

https://images2.imgbox.com/86/05/syQcSlQk_o.png

• In "All Along the Watchtower" everybody takes solo, and finally we can hear some original Boyd Tinsley, plucking his violin. Wow. What a concert.

-------------
⚫ Final comments

Audio Quality: as usual, there has been a strong debate back in time about the mix of this release. Some people considers it a bad mix, I am on the opposite side: I find that the sound is full, without being muddy. It doesn't reach the quality of LS, but that is on another level. Nevertheless, I would like to hear the opinion of more experienced Ants.

Setlist: Fantastic. Disc 1 is a masterpiece, disc 2 is a good one too.

Performances: Everybody is literally on fire, here and Tim is stellar. I mean, this is, imo, probably, the-one Tim show. He really shines throughout the concert, giving a precise sound signature to this album. Of course, in ’98 he wasn’t a full member yet, but he did appear in all the late summer shows and the whole fall tour, and he demonstrates an incredible feeling with the band in this show. Wooten and Parker bring something more, those performances of #41, and The Maker go straight to my "best of" playlist.

Show Rating: for me this is a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Top album.
Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

Some quotes of comments about this particular show:

Quote:
    Last stop from Live in Chicago is the best.
    BOWA36
    Quote:
    I like Chicago honestly. The release sounds great, and that Maker is one for the ages.
    Sheldonlevene
    Quote:
    That Last Stop > DDTW opening is so awesome. Maceo Parker makes this the best released WWYS too...
    Jan-Willem
    Quote:
    Tim Reynolds is phenomenal on Live in Chicago.
    Trendall
    Quote:
    Live In Chicago is awesome.
    sean52692
    Quote:
    Awesome first disc and the second ain't nothing to complain about. Has a really good Jimi, an awesome version of The Maker, and a decent Watchtower.
    coolhotwaves

And about the mix...I would really like to hear the opinion of dobyblue and djamieb. To my ears is sounds good, but there are different opinions. For example:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Live in Chicago sounds like it was mixed to match Everyday- in your face guitar and drums, overdriven bass, and a turned down Boyd and LeRoi. In addition, the poorly done dubs over Boyd's solos are unbearable- you have this solo in the foreground (well, as close as the mix lets him get to the foreground) and an echoing AUD of the original mix in the background. Pathetic stuff.
    I echo the statements about having to hit the mixer between songs- levels aren't normalized track to track, a heavy bass line in one song will disappear, making you turn your lows way up, and the next song you're making paper ripping noises ( : ) from your speakers. Not good stuff at all.
    Old 01-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

On paper it’s one of the weaker 98 shows

Think about that. Because the set is still amazing
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #4
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

This show is 10 months apart from Listener Supported, and it’s amazing how different the two sound (Tim and Dave’s guitar alone making up for that). LiC is one I rarely listen to, but do think that Disc 1 is solid. Nowhere near LT1 overall to me, but solid.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

This is one of my favorite albums. I love this #41 and the opening Last Stop is the best sounding version to my ears. Just an all around great live album
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
    TwoStep41Jimi

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Easily one of my least favorite albums from DMB.
    Really bad mix ruins it for me.
    TwoStep41Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #7
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t even fully know the lyrics to the reprise and yet it’s one of the best live ones ever
    Old 01-11-2022, 11:06 AM   #8
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Did anyone here actually go to this show? I would love to hear stories of that
    Old 01-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #9
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    On paper it’s one of the weaker 98 shows

Think about that. Because the set is still amazing

On paper.
    But with those guests even an average song like What Would You Say sounds spectacular
    It probably misses Two Steps and Crush on disc 2 to go to the top ever. But still, disc 1 is almost perfect
    Old 01-11-2022, 11:19 AM   #10
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

The fact that Boyd rerecorded his solos brings this release down a peg in my eyes.
    RSSR is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The best Last Stop we have. Probably a top 5 DMB performance of all time in terms of singular song performances.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #12
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    The fact that Boyd rerecorded his solos brings this release down a peg in my eyes.

I see. I guess you belong to those who would throw Hollywood Bowl 9.10.2018 in the garbage can because of the dubbing in Squirm.
    To me, it is not a single performance that affect the overall quality of a release. As always.. to each…

Last edited by Xcacel; 01-11-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    Old 01-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #13
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I see. I guess you belong to those who would throw Hollywood Bowl 9.10.2018 in the garbage can because of the dubbing in Squirm.
    To me, it is not a single performance that affect the overall quality of a release. As always.. to each…
    Simply emphasizing three words here and there is not on the same level of rerecording a +1 minute solo. And wasn't that done for more than one song? Nice try.
    Old 01-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #14
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep41Jimi View Post
    Easily one of my least favorite albums from DMB.
    Really bad mix ruins it for me.
    What's wrong with the mix of Chicago?
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #15
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Question Re: Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

Quote:
    Since I am a dummy, can someone explain this in a little more detail to me? Not trying to start something — I'm just genuinely clueless, curious, and eager to learn. ELI5, please.

I don't usually pay attention to the technical side of an album. I'm a sucker for high quality music, but not to this depth.

What is the Boyd dubbing you guys speak of? He re-recorded his solos for this album at a later date and they replaced his original solo for the official release?
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #16
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    What's wrong with the mix of Chicago?

I did this:
    since DDTW was played is all the fall'98 shows I have tried to compare its mix to the other fall'98 releases.
    Yes, I know that you cannot compare apples with oranges, but still..
    In this video the music switches between the following:
    19.12.98 - Live in Chicago 12.19.98 - United Center, Chicago, IL
    10.31.98 - Live Trax Vol. 39 - The Arena in Oakland, Oakland, CA
    11.02.98 - Live Trax Vol. 53 - Boise State University, Boise, ID
    30.11.98 - DMBLive Series - First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA
    12.08.98 - Live Trax Vol. 1 - Worcester Centrum, Worchester, MA

You can put a decent pair of headphones and come to your own conclusion:
    • Full Audio Quality (320 kbps)
    https://mega.nz/file/eVhWVTbB#4KOHk0...GpmC3HaTrXNpE4
    • Reduced Audio Quality (160 kbps yt video)
    https://youtu.be/jXoNc-n0LAo
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #17
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabres914 View Post
    Since I am a dummy, can someone explain this in a little more detail to me? Not trying to start something — I'm just genuinely clueless, curious, and eager to learn. ELI5, please.

I don't usually pay attention to the technical side of an album. I'm a sucker for high quality music, but not to this depth.

What is the Boyd dubbing you guys speak of? He re-recorded his solos for this album at a later date and they replaced his original solo for the official release?
    It is written in the first post
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #18
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Question Re: Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

Quote:
    It is written in the first post
    I see...

Quote:
    The album was produced and mixed by John Alagia (together with Jeff Juliano), at Dragonfly Studios, Haymarket, Virginia. Alagia, the man who could get the better sound from a DMB live concert. And, apparently, he wasn’t too happy about the result. It is not a secret that parts of the show were edited - notably Boyd's solo in "Lie In Our Graves". The overdub of BT in LIOG (and apparently, also in Jimi) took place later, in another studio (Dreamland recording, Hurley, NY) and is clearly visible comparing the SBD to the released version, or more easily, watching the original audio from the webcast. See here: https://youtu.be/T6HAuJhiSDc]https:/...e/T6HAuJhiSDc:
    I guess I was hoping for a little more detailed of an explanation.

So my understanding is John Alagia was not happy with Boyd's solos on LIOG and Jimi, so Boyd recorded new solos in studio at a later date. For the final release, John then took those recordings and used them to replace the original solo Boyd performed at the show?

How wild. I guess my naive self didn't think DMB did this for live releases. Then again, I have only starting listening to tapes in the past 10 years or so.
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #19
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Simply emphasizing three words here and there is not on the same level of rerecording a +1 minute solo. And wasn't that done for more than one song? Nice try.
    I understand what you're trying to say. But, having listened to the original BT solo, I probably think that Alagia did the right thing to have him re-record that. Probably without the overdub, the overall listening would have been worse.
    If I am not wrong also Remember Two Things had some studio work from Alagia to the live recordings. To me, if the overall listen of the tune is ok, I don't care that much. But anyway, this is very subjective.
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #20
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He has a point about the editing of live albums. I can see how it bugs some people. For me, if your talking about a main live album (Listener Supported, Central Park, Hollywood Bowl, Radio City, etc) editing those types of releases doesn’t bother me as much because it is apart of the bands discography. These are albums that deserve proper editing/mastering/mixing/etc.

What bugs me is when you start editing your archival shows like DMBLive, Live Trax etc. I don’t know of many cases this has taken place with DMB other than fake crowd noise added to LT6 and the auto tuning of Boyd’s fiddle

So I guess just as a show, I want to hear the unaltered thing. But as an album in the bands canon, I want it to sound as best as possible without changing it entirely. (A solo here or there is about as far as I would go)
    Old 01-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #21
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand what you're trying to say. But, having listened to the original BT solo, I probably think that Alagia did the right thing to have him re-record that. Probably without the overdub, the overall listening would have been worse.
    If I am not wrong also Remember Two Things had some studio work from Alagia to the live recordings. To me, if the overall listen of the tune is ok, I don't care that much. But anyway, this is very subjective.
    You are right. Remember Two Things was basically treated as a studio album. As I understand it, Alagia worked on the 5 live recordings (Ants, Billies, Jane, OSW, and Recently) as if they were live in studio recordings of the band. The other 5 (7 with the deluxe) are actual studio versions (well, I’ll Back You Up was recorded in a bathroom, but not live)
    Old 01-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #22
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I did this:
    since DDTW was played is all the fall'98 shows I have tried to compare its mix to the other fall'98 releases.

That's really cool that you did that!

Am I crazy for thinking that LiC sounds the best?
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #23
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Actually that was also the opinion of my ears. But some (many) people said that LiC mix isn’t good. I wonder what they compared it to
    Old 01-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #24
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

I do enjoy listening to LiC. I'm glad I have it professionally done, and on my shelf.
    Old 01-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #25
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Chicago is one of the original in store releases so it holds a special place in many peoples hearts.

My thing always was why release a show if it required Boyd to show up in a studio and dub cleaner solos for it. Seems ridiculous. And considering Chicago on paper is one of the weakest 98 shows. Still great but judging on the overall picture of 1998 it’s down there
    Old 01-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #26
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Actually that was also the opinion of my ears. But some (many) people said that LiC mix isn’t good. I wonder what they compared it to
    I always thought LiC sounds good. There’s some mixes I don’t care for that get praised and others I love that get flak. I’m not saying folks don’t know what they’re talking about, but I think a lot of people get lost in small details that I don’t notice or care about. I’m not an audiophile by any means, but at the same time I’m no noob to the music world either.
    Old 01-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #27
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Chicago is one of the original in store releases so it holds a special place in many peoples hearts.

My thing always was why release a show if it required Boyd to show up in a studio and dub cleaner solos for it. Seems ridiculous. And considering Chicago on paper is one of the weakest 98 shows. Still great but judging on the overall picture of 1998 it’s down there
    I think it was planned for release all along, same with the other official live albums like Radio City, Listener Supported, Central Park, Piedmont, etc.

I don’t know that for sure, but I’ve always assumed so.
    Old 01-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #28
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I did this:

LiC is the best followed by LT1 to my ears. Everything is much more up front in the LiC mix which sounds best to me. Carter and Stefan sounds very full and present. LT1 has a snappier sound and LiC is boomier.

LiC will always be one of my favorite releases.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2022, 06:19 PM   #29
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I like looking at this from an in-store release perspective. Here is where I would have LiC from a short list of those:

Listener Supported
    Luther College
    Central Park
    Gorge 2002 CD + DVD Combo
    Red Rocks
    Radio City
    Folsom Field
    Atlantic City
    Live in Chicago
    Weekend on the Rocks
    Fenway
    D&T Vegas
    Mile High

Last edited by LetYouDown22; 01-11-2022 at 06:23 PM.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #30
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    I like looking at this from an in-store release perspective. Here is where I would have LiC from a short list of those:

Listener Supported
    Luther College
    Central Park
    Gorge 2002 CD + DVD Combo
    Red Rocks
    Radio City
    Folsom Field
    Atlantic City
    Live in Chicago
    Weekend on the Rocks
    Fenway
    D&T Vegas