Live Trax Volume 41 D&T 3/13/99 - Page 10 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #271
DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax Volume 41 D&T 3/13/99

The mix on Vegas makes the guitars sound thin and distant. There's also a disconnect between the vocals and the guitars, like you're listening to 2 separated tracks as opposed to a live show. Plus many of the performances sound like Dave and Tim are on speed or something. It's not a terrible release, but for the setlist, it just never hit home for me.

Luther College and Radio City are mixed really well, though you can hear differences in them right? Radio City has a depth to it, specifically capturing deeper richer bass tones, and fuller sound that Luther doesn't, but Luther captures every intimate detail and tone of playing perfectly. The guitars are mixed together like PBand J on Luther. It's amazing.
DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #272
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robby_idol View Post
    Care to elaborate? Most D+T releases sound the same to me (save Luther College, which has that softer/warmer tone).
    if it doesn't bother you, then enjoy your ignorant bliss.

i'm usually not a stickler about sound quality, but the Live in Las Vegas is distractingly bad. as someone said, "lifeless". sucks because the set list is good.
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #273
    coldblueice

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King > Busted Stuff
    i like Big Whiskey.

but, um, NO.
    Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #274
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Luther has an amazing mix and it sounds like D&T in a coffee shop, Radio City sounds bigger and is mixed very well although some of the vocals sound a bit computerized, Vegas sounds like the musical equivalent of selling beer without remembering to add hops
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #275
    rupruprup

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RMinor205 View Post
    Why are you here?
    What? I don't think D/T is as good as it used to be but I still find things enjoyable about seeing them. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Not all tours are equal. Not all albums are equal.

DMB isn't as good as DMB used to be. LeRoi is dead, Boyd can barely play his instrument, and there is a trumpet player squeaking over everything. Put on Red Rocks 95 and tell me anything from 2016 was better. It just isn't. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy 2016 for what it was or find performances/re-works of tunes from that tour to be enjoyable. It's just not as good as it used to be. Same goes for Dave and Tim. There's too many crap songs in the rotation these days that you'll never have a set that touches even the most pedestrian show from 99. Dave doesn't sing with the energy and passion of a guy 18 years ago - and he doesn't need to. I still enjoy D/T, it's just a weaker version of what they were at their peak. What's the problem with this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldblueice View Post
    shocker.

Dave's suuuuch a sell-out, maaaaaaaan!!!!! duuuude, you gotta go back to like '99 if you wanna hear the REAL Dave. trust me duuude, i was there. it's totally been downhill from there maaan...
    No idea what you're talking about or why you're projecting this at me. I don't like the songs that comprise Big Whiskey. I have no interest in ever hearing (Shake Me, Time Bomb, You and Me, Alligator Pie, Dive In). A few I genuinely enjoy (Hands of God, Why I am, sometimes Seven). And a few that are mostly harmless but I'd never go into a show really wanting to hear (Funny, Squirm). And whatever else I'm missing is clearly forgettable to me.

Quote:
    i'll only keep doing my thing if you keep doing your thing - living in the past, thinking you are Superfan #1 because you only like the old stuff. i'm happy that triggers you.
    Never called myself any of these things. Not sure why you're so obsessed with every comment I have to make - spanning multiple threads. I don't like some songs you do. I think the band peaked about 15 years ago, but I still find the live show enjoyable enough to catch a show or so a tour. You so badly want me to be some type of fan that I'm not. I've seen the band plenty in my life and it's obvious to me that some shows are better than others. That some tours are better than others. Maybe some day you'll obtain critical thinking of your own and be able to come up with your own opinions about things you care about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robby_idol View Post
    Care to elaborate? Most D+T releases sound the same to me (save Luther College, which has that softer/warmer tone).
    I can't imagine listening to Luther and putting on Vegas or Radio City and saying they sound remotely the same. D/T releases where there is a separate mic for the guitar have always sounded the best. That's why Luther is pristine. And why the new LT should be fantastic (the two step sounds great).

Last edited by rupruprup; 04-19-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    rupruprup is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #276
    djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rupruprup View Post
    D/T releases where there is a separate mic for the guitar have always sounded the best. That's why Luther is pristine. And why the new LT should be fantastic (the two step sounds great).
    I agree with this 100%.

My excitement level for LT41 increased ten-fold after hearing the great mix on Two Step. It'll easily be one of my favorite D+T live releases if the performances are as good as I've gathered​ they are from general consensus. (I haven't heard the tape for this show, actually, so I think I'm in for a treat!)

Last edited by djamieb; 04-19-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    djamieb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #277
    coldblueice

My Tour Central Stats

this might sound kinda gay, but... anyone wanna do a listening party? like a synchronized listen. has that ever been done here before? you'd think i'd know, considering i'm an Ants OG. but i'm not part of the "in-crowd". i'm not very cool. not like those members with like 50k posts and stuff. like omg they really love this place.

i live near Charlottesville so i get the CD delivered to my house usually on day 1, even with standard shipping. but we could wait until like 3 days afterwards to let others have the opportunity to get it. then we could like all get on the same internet clock and everyone press PLAY at like 8:00. then we come back here and say "aw this song sucks" or "this song is awesome" and stuff.
    Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #278
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this might sound kinda gay, but... anyone wanna do a listening party? like a synchronized listen. has that ever been done here before? you'd think i'd know, considering i'm an Ants OG. but i'm not part of the "in-crowd". i'm not very cool. not like those members with like 50k posts and stuff. like omg they really love this place.

i live near Charlottesville so i get the CD delivered to my house usually on day 1, even with standard shipping. but we could wait until like 3 days afterwards to let others have the opportunity to get it. then we could like all get on the same internet clock and everyone press PLAY at like 8:00. then we come back here and say "aw this song sucks" or "this song is awesome" and stuff.
    This was done a while back with some taper pulls of some older shows if I'm remembering correctly. I'd be interested.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #279
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

If I get this, if I ever get around to buying this, I'd only listen to The Stone and Last Stop once, then toss it aside never touching this again.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #280
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    If I get this, if I ever get around to buying this, I'd only listen to The Stone and Last Stop once, then toss it aside never touching this again.
    Not a big D&T fan?
    Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #281
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Word choice, man. Come on.
    Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #282
    sean52692

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very strange opinion.
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #283
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Aren't you not a big fan of D and T anyways? You probably won't like it if so. Better of just living in darkness.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #284
    coldblueice

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    i thought about changing that before pressing send.

then i thought better of it. i'm not going to give in to the hyper-politically-correct safe-space constantly-insulted crowd that lost the Democrats the election. i love gay people. if i were one, i hope i'd be able to laugh at myself a bit.

if not, fuck 'em.
    Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #285
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I'd be up for a listening party, used to do them way back and then did a few about a year ago
    Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #286
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

then i thought better of it. i'm not going to give in to the hyper-politically-correct safe-space constantly-insulted crowd that lost the Democrats the election. i love gay people. if i were one, i hope i'd be able to laugh at myself a bit.

if not, fuck 'em.

I agree with this actually
    Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #287
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

I can't agree. You exchange the word for something negative. The word is associated with a negative connotation and people are comfortable with that. Shouldn't be the case. You're not gay. You don't get it. But I'll continue being 'hypersensitive' by telling you that it offends me.
    Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #288
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Very strange opinion.
    This show lacks stand up, away from the world, big whiskey, eh hee, Bismarck, another 4 Tim songs, cornbread, Virginia in the rain and death on the high zzzzzz.

Probably why he won't give it much attention
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #289
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can't agree. You exchange the word for something negative. The word is associated with a negative connotation and people are comfortable with that. Shouldn't be the case. You're not gay. You don't get it. But I'll continue being 'hypersensitive' by telling you that it offends me.
    Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #290
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'm gay, I call things gay...who gives a fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2THqZemoc
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.

Last edited by YankeesDMB41; 04-20-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #291
    coldblueice

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can't agree. But I'll continue being 'hypersensitive' by telling you that it offends me.
    okay....

so you're not coming to my listening party?

Last edited by coldblueice; 04-21-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #292
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    okay....

so you're not coming to my listening party?

But let's stay on track here.
    Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #293
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    This show lacks stand up, away from the world, big whiskey, eh hee, Bismarck, another 4 Tim songs, cornbread, Virginia in the rain and death on the high zzzzzz.

Probably why he won't give it much attention
    I'm sure this wasn't meant too seriously, but these kind of posts crack me up. So cool to cut on people because of their musical preference. Like you're a joke of a fan if you enjoy any of the above. We get it. You don't like DMB post 2004.

I get why people don't dig Dave and Tim. I like them, but I definitely don't get as excited about seeing or hearing them as I do the full band. It's a nice experience to hear the songs stripped down to two acoustic guitars, and sometimes Dave on keys, but the reason I love Dave's music is because of the band. Not much changes with the songs in the Dave and Tim setting. Sure Tim's solos are never the same, and some performances are better than others, but Dave and Tim can become a bit redundant in a way.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #294
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

i like away from the world, and samurai cop.

its strange how someone would never listen to this though.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #295
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Away From the World is a very solid album, and I am not sure why it gets dumped on so much. I think it's a pretty great representation of an older, matured DMB, but still captures their earlier sound while mixing in elements they picked up along the way. I do wish they came up with something other than Belly Full to drop in that spot. I would have preferred a full band song there since Sweet already lacks the use of the band until the very end.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #296
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It just seems like it's contrarian to say you'll never listen to this release...it's a fantastic show
    Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #297
    smb41

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

if not, fuck 'em.

My uncle is mentally retarded so it personally offends me when I hear people misuse the word "retarded," but I'd never tell people not to say it. I'm not offended in the same way when I hear "gay" used the way you did, but the same logic applies.

Can't stand the PC police.

Last edited by smb41; 04-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #298
    RMinor205

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Aww, did your feelings get hurt?
    RMinor205 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #299
    vegeevore

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

it is this kind of lack of empathy that causes wars with russia. please be kind to others.
    vegeevore is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #300
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The negative connotation is in no way related to actual homosexuality