**Official CHICAGO (AKA, Not Alpine) 2023** - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
MidwestGirl
Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

**Official CHICAGO (AKA, Not Alpine) 2023**

Looked and didn't see a thread.

2 shows at Northerly, July 7th and 8th!

Always a good time in Chicago in the summer!

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
GORGE FAQ
GORGE Roster
MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-24-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official CHICAGO (AKA, Not Alpine) 2023**

Will be there! Hometown venue makes it an easy choice. Can't get any worse than the storm of 2021 (Although N2 made up for it) so let's do this!
    Old 01-24-2023, 10:58 AM   #3
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Will be there! Hometown venue makes it an easy choice. Can't get any worse than the storm of 2021 (Although N2 made up for it) so let's do this!

I’m excited for the Chicago shows. I no longer live there, but booked the Aloft River North. My sister is in Skokie but I don’t want to travel that far lol.

May change my mind depending on $$$

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    Old 01-24-2023, 11:46 AM   #4
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

I get that. Chicago makes it so nice to be able to walk back after a show (Despite DMBc hating it ) but if you have family/lodging close enough it makes it worth it sometimes to cross the extra hotel costs off the list. Skokie is probably RIGHT on the border of how far I would go, and it sounds like you're the same.
    Old 01-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #5
    zaj128
    The King In The North

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

The usual pits requested for these shows. They will be subpar compared to Alpine and Deer Creek but I will enjoy them nonetheless.

Twitter/IG:
    @Zaj128
    zaj128 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2023, 05:55 PM   #6
    whodaddy
    antsonwhiskey

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

If trying for pit or lower reserved is it safer to avoid WH lottery? I’ve heard the pit is a good size and tix shouldn’t be difficult to obtain. TIA

2023 : D&T Mexico, Chicago, Gorge
    2024 : D&T Mexico, Alpine
    whodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2023, 07:33 PM   #7
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I get that. Chicago makes it so nice to be able to walk back after a show (Despite DMBc hating it ) but if you have family/lodging close enough it makes it worth it sometimes to cross the extra hotel costs off the list. Skokie is probably RIGHT on the border of how far I would go, and it sounds like you're the same.

But.. even a $100 in Ubers is cheaper than hotel rates at the moment. I’m sure we stay in River north. Just so much easier. Heading to the city this weekend.

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    Old 01-25-2023, 06:55 AM   #8
    jjlak15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

According to Ants there should be only about 11 people at this show because everyone refuses to ever go to Northerly. Praying for good weather this year!
    jjlak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2023, 07:54 AM   #9
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

I understand not liking a venue (I've complained many a times in the past) but to not go to a hometown show seems crazy to me.

2 shows on the water with the city as the backdrop is a fun time.
    Old 01-25-2023, 07:54 AM   #10
    zaj128
    The King In The North

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodaddy View Post
    If trying for pit or lower reserved is it safer to avoid WH lottery? I’ve heard the pit is a good size and tix shouldn’t be difficult to obtain. TIA
    I will say I've never had an issue getting a pit for these shows but I still requested 2 for each night. I usually get approved for one. It's weird because the shows do sell very well but people still unload tickets at a big clip on here and Warehouse.

Twitter/IG:
    @Zaj128
    Old 01-25-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaj128 View Post
    I will say I've never had an issue getting a pit for these shows but I still requested 2 for each night. I usually get approved for one. It's weird because the shows do sell very well but people still unload tickets at a big clip on here and Warehouse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjlak15 View Post
    According to Ants there should be only about 11 people at this show because everyone refuses to ever go to Northerly. Praying for good weather this year!

Quote:
    I understand not liking a venue (I've complained many a times in the past) but to not go to a hometown show seems crazy to me.

2 shows on the water with the city as the backdrop is a fun time.

More pit tickets for us, hopefully!

I’ve never had an issue either. Will only do pit at this venue. It’s honestly one of my favorite pits!

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    Old 01-25-2023, 10:13 AM   #12
    sweens2002

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I love the walk to and from the venue. It is really cool to go through the museum campus. Is it the greatest place ever to see a show? Probably not, especially when you compare to Alpine, but to be able to see them in the city of Chicago and the biggest complaint is the walk to and from the venue, I will take it 10/10. Cant wait!
    sweens2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #13
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweens2002 View Post
    I love the walk to and from the venue. It is really cool to go through the museum campus. Is it the greatest place ever to see a show? Probably not, especially when you compare to Alpine, but to be able to see them in the city of Chicago and the biggest complaint is the walk to and from the venue, I will take it 10/10. Cant wait!
    I honestly don't understand the hate except its NOT Alpine and people have beloved 20 year memories of that venue over the years.

It's an easy (although LONG) walk from the venue back to Michigan Ave, but at least it's an option. Then you can walk back to any hotel or get public transit.

I actually enjoy the Northerly tailgate Joe M has put together the lasts few times. There's been live music, cornhole, real bathrooms down by the beach. We've just packed one of those disposable grocery store cooler bags full of drinks and uber there, then walk out after.

Once you're in if you're in the pit or seats Buddy side, it's a quick walk to real bathrooms with hardly any wait. Short wait for drinks.

In comparison it can take two whole songs to get out of the Alpine pit, up the hill, and wait in bathroom and beer lines.

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    Old 01-25-2023, 11:52 AM   #14
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MidwestGirl View Post
    I honestly don't understand the hate except its NOT Alpine and people have beloved 20 year memories of that venue over the years.

Couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, you're seeing your favorite band (or one of your favorites) and while venue location and amenities certainly play a role, it takes a backseat once the music starts. Sure, some venues have older poor quality in-house speakers and out of sync large tvs/screens but DMB puts a ton of effort into their show and it always comes through.

The group mindset is also at play here. People love to hate northerly island and this forum has also become a platform for just complaining about everything.

As always, I've certainly spent my time complaining but it just doesn't help or promote a positive environment. I couldn't be happier for this tour, the album, the new songs (Who cares how long they are or aren't?! ) and seeing everybody this summer.
    Old 01-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #15
    jjlak15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, you're seeing your favorite band (or one of your favorites) and while venue location and amenities certainly play a role, it takes a backseat once the music starts. Sure, some venues have older poor quality in-house speakers and out of sync large tvs/screens but DMB puts a ton of effort into their show and it always comes through.

The group mindset is also at play here. People love to hate northerly island and this forum has also become a platform for just complaining about everything.

As always, I've certainly spent my time complaining but it just doesn't help or promote a positive environment. I couldn't be happier for this tour, the album, the new songs (Who cares how long they are or aren't?! ) and seeing everybody this summer.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Antsmarching.org, where everyone thinks its 2002.

July cannot come soon enough.
    jjlak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 07:07 AM   #16
    sweens2002

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Antsmarching.org, where everyone thinks its 2002.

July cannot come soon enough.
    LOL, thats a great point about everyone thinking it is still 2002. Also the song length hate is so weird to me. I didn't fall in love with this band because of any studio albums. I fell in love because RR95 is the greatest live CD any band has ever put out (i am bias lol). The studio means nothing to me other than we have new music.

Let them play these new songs live and figure out what to do with them.
    sweens2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 06:57 AM   #17
    jarguitar86
    Content and Dreaming

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's an easy (although LONG) walk from the venue back to Michigan Ave, but at least it's an option. Then you can walk back to any hotel or get public transit.

I actually enjoy the Northerly tailgate Joe M has put together the lasts few times. There's been live music, cornhole, real bathrooms down by the beach. We've just packed one of those disposable grocery store cooler bags full of drinks and uber there, then walk out after.

Once you're in if you're in the pit or seats Buddy side, it's a quick walk to real bathrooms with hardly any wait. Short wait for drinks.

In comparison it can take two whole songs to get out of the Alpine pit, up the hill, and wait in bathroom and beer lines.
    Hotel prices are absolutely absurd for this weekend. $300-400 a night? It's b/c Taste of Chicago is that weekend, I'm sure, but holy crap. I live in the SW burbs and just didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of getting to the city 2 nights in a row, but honestly, Milwaukee and Michigan look more appealing at this point. I've also been a WH member for over 20 years and they give me 200 and 300 level every. single. year. I put in for Northerly. I'm happy to be in the venue once I'm there, but for all the hassle and costs, it would be nice to be just a liiiittle closer.
    Old 01-27-2023, 07:50 AM   #18
    lilant420

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarguitar86 View Post
    Hotel prices are absolutely absurd for this weekend. $300-400 a night? It's b/c Taste of Chicago is that weekend, I'm sure, but holy crap. I live in the SW burbs and just didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of getting to the city 2 nights in a row, but honestly, Milwaukee and Michigan look more appealing at this point. I've also been a WH member for over 20 years and they give me 200 and 300 level every. single. year. I put in for Northerly. I'm happy to be in the venue once I'm there, but for all the hassle and costs, it would be nice to be just a liiiittle closer.

0.0% chance the rooms are high this weekend due to the taste. That is probably the funniest post I've read on these boards so far this year.
    lilant420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 08:35 AM   #19
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Accurate.

Ill never, ever understand why the band/management skips over an iconic big 3 venue in Alpine to play in this piece of shit.

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 09:44 AM   #20
    lilant420

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    Accurate.
    Ill never, ever understand why the band/management skips over an iconic big 3 venue in Alpine to play in this piece of shit.
    I'm pretty sure the low numbers from last year speak for themselves...
    Old 01-27-2023, 09:55 AM   #21
    41pigs

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Perfectly put. the hate is so weird. I can't wait!
    41pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 11:16 AM   #22
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Management has goals for every tour and Alpine no longer fills that checkbox every year. I like Alpine and Chicago. I will go see the band at either one. Both venues pull in the same amount of revenue and switching every other year gives the band a chance to hit a major market that focuses on a group of people that normally wouldn't go to alpine. Also, if you look at the data from 2015 on, you see a drop in attendance for most major venues. Things change and management knows that. Times moves on.

(I'm taking capacity values from the venue websites so give or take if they are outdated. )

2021 Chicago 2 nights combined
    $2,755,959
    ATTENDED:35,122 / 60,000 (58.5%)

Alpine Valley 2022 2 nights combined
    $2,836,166
    33,922 out of 74,000 (46%)
    Old 01-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #23
    lilant420

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Management has goals for every tour and Alpine no longer fills that checkbox every year. I like Alpine and Chicago. I will go see the band at either one. Both venues pull in the same amount of revenue and switching every other year gives the band a chance to hit a major market that focuses on a group of people that normally wouldn't go to alpine. Also, if you look at the data from 2015 on, you see a drop in attendance for most major venues. Things change and management knows that. Times moves on.

(I'm taking capacity values from the venue websites so give or take if they are outdated. )

2021 Chicago 2 nights combined
    $2,755,959
    ATTENDED:35,122 / 60,000 (58.5%)

Alpine Valley 2022 2 nights combined
    $2,836,166
    33,922 out of 74,000 (46%)
    30k at northerly is wayyyy off. Tinley is much bigger and doesn’t even hold that much.
    Old 01-27-2023, 01:49 PM   #24
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

I agree but that's what LN says. Capacity % is a moot point anyway as the revenue is the same - that's what management is looking at.
    Old 01-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #25
    zaj128
    The King In The North

My Tour Central Stats

Venue doesn't bother me that much tbh. I like the tailgate setup along the lake and the traffic in and out isn't any worse than most venues. They just don't play good sets there compared to Alpine and DC. 2021 was refreshing but traditionally they've been very meh sets. I do like how easy it is to get pits, though.

Twitter/IG:
    @Zaj128
    Old 01-29-2023, 06:46 AM   #26
    CooterBrown41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

How is the lawn here?
    CooterBrown41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2023, 07:13 AM   #27
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Lawn is completely flat. Sight lines aren't anything like Alpine, Deer Creek, or even Tinley. Northerly Island uses he land as a temporary venue space so it's not a built up amphitheater. However, they do well with it. Drink/Food options are good, bathrooms are plentiful and never lines.

Most people don't like this venue but it's really nice on a summer night with the lake on one side and the city skyline behind the stage. I've enjoyed my shows here. Only complaint from me here is Dave really doesn't write great setlists. 2021 was extra special but the bar is low for Chicago so meh. Again, I always have fun.
    Old 01-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #28
    lilant420

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CooterBrown41 View Post
    How is the lawn here?
    You can prob get some BrownCooter on it but I wouldn't waste my time otherwise.
    Old 01-29-2023, 08:57 PM   #29
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarguitar86 View Post

I booked the aloft for around $250 but even then I expect prices to fluctuate or maybe go down…

Definitely not due to the Taste. Didn’t even know they still did that.

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    Old 01-30-2023, 02:49 PM   #30
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

A lot of comments about the venue here, so I'll just throw in my .02 as a Chicago resident for most of my 35 years on this planet:

- The venue itself is fine. Not great, not terrible. However, it is one of the very few venues that DMB plays which is completely exposed to the elements. If weather comes, as we experienced in 2021, it is a LONG way to cover.

- Again, just my 2 cents, but the reason I don't get nearly as excited for these shows as Alpine has nothing to do with the venue itself, but that DMB treats Alpine sets as "special" and Chicago is always just another 2 night stand. I haven't seen anyone mention that, yet. Alpine typically has some of the best setlists in any given tour, I don't think that's ever happened at Northerly Island. United Center shows have always sucked (and did again this past winter) and NI generally does not get elevated sets like Alpine does.

- That being said, personally my priorities have shifted since what things were 10+ years ago, so making a weekend of it at Alpine just doesn't work anymore. Plus, I'm not as big of a fan of this iteration of DMB as I was in the past. I'm not shelling out the money for a hotel in Lake Geneva to see the setlists they've been playing the last 5+ years. I didn't go last year and wouldn't have gone this year for more than a single show if they played there again. I have a feeling I'm not alone in this category. Northerly Island I can take a bus and sleep in my own bed. So, I'll pop over to these, most likely.

- As for hotels, I highly recommend the Chicago Athletic Association if you can swing it. My favorite hotel in the city. If I didn't already live in Chicago, I personally would much rather stay in the loop which allows me to get on any CTA line and go explore other/better neighborhoods instead of River North (which I avoid like the plague), but that's just me. Also, if you have AAA, Hyatt Centric is $250/night that weekend.

- The Taste 10000% does not impact the price of hotels. It's a summer weekend in Chicago. Hotels are all packed every weekend in July. The only event in the city that really moves the needle to be exceptionally high hotel prices is Lolla, and even that is only like a 10-15% increase. $250-400/night for decent hotels is standard for any summer weekend in Chicago.

Last edited by lockman21; 01-30-2023 at 02:53 PM.
    lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote