*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 3224 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #96691
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc419 View Post
FB, YT and Twitter could site several examples of the specific violation. I don't believe that has happened yet.
It has. Facebook put out a specific press release: https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/08...ity-standards/

Quote:
Enforcing Our Community Standards
We believe in giving people a voice, but we also want everyone using Facebook to feel safe. It’s why we have Community Standards and remove anything that violates them, including hate speech that attacks or dehumanizes others. Earlier today, we removed four Pages belonging to Alex Jones for repeatedly posting content over the past several days that breaks those Community Standards. Here’s more detail on enforcement of our standards:

How do you deal with people and Pages who repeatedly violate your standards?
Simply removing content that violates our standards is not enough to deter repeat offenders. It’s why every time we remove something, it counts as a strike against the person who posted it. And when it comes to Pages, we hold both the entire Page and the person who posted the content accountable. Here’s a step-by-step overview of what happens when content is reported to Facebook:

If a Page posts content that violates our Community Standards, the Page and the Page admin responsible for posting the content receive a strike.
When a Page surpasses a certain threshold of strikes, the whole Page is unpublished.

For people, including Page admins, the effects of a strike vary depending on the severity of the violation and a person’s history on Facebook. For example, some content is so bad that posting it just once means we would remove the account immediately. In the case of other violations, we may warn someone the first time they break our Community Standards. If they continue, we may temporarily block their account, which restricts their ability to post on Facebook, or remove it all together.

What is the number of strikes a person or Page has to get to before you ban them?
We don’t want people to game the system, so we do not share the specific number of strikes that leads to a temporary block or permanent suspension.

When we remove content for violating our policies, we notify the person who posted it to explain why, with some narrow exceptions to account for things like child exploitation imagery.

If someone violates our policies multiple times, their account will be temporarily blocked; a Page that does so will be unpublished. When a person is in a temporary block, they can read things on Facebook, but they can’t like, comment or post. If that person is also the admin of a Facebook Page, the block prevents them from posting to the Page.

If a Page is unpublished, is that different from removing them and if so why?
We offer Pages the opportunity to appeal in case we made a mistake. So our first step is to “unpublish” the Page so that it is no longer available on Facebook. If they don’t appeal or their appeal fails, we remove the Page.

This is very complicated — why do it this way?
This approach ensures Pages (even those with multiple admins), as well as Page admins, are held accountable for the content they post. It also means that admins cannot use multiple Pages to violate our policies and avoid strikes against their personal profiles. It’s not perfect — but we believe it’s a practical way to deter repeat offenders and help keep people safe.

How do you distinguish between fake news and content that breaks your Community Standards?
People can say things on Facebook that are wrong or untrue, but we work to limit the distribution of inaccurate information. We partner with third-party fact checkers to review and rate the accuracy of articles on Facebook. When something is rated as false, those stories are ranked significantly lower in News Feed, cutting future views by more than 80%.

When it comes to our Community Standards, they’re focused on keeping people safe. If you post something that goes against our standards, which cover things like hate speech that attacks or dehumanizes others, we will remove it from Facebook.

So what happened with InfoWars? They were up on Friday and now they are down?
As a result of reports we received, last week, we removed four videos on four Facebook Pages for violating our hate speech and bullying policies. These pages were the Alex Jones Channel Page, the Alex Jones Page, the InfoWars Page and the Infowars Nightly News Page. In addition, one of the admins of these Pages – Alex Jones – was placed in a 30-day block for his role in posting violating content to these Pages.

Since then, more content from the same Pages has been reported to us — upon review, we have taken it down for glorifying violence, which violates our graphic violence policy, and using dehumanizing language to describe people who are transgender, Muslims and immigrants, which violates our hate speech policies.

All four Pages have been unpublished for repeated violations of Community Standards and accumulating too many strikes. While much of the discussion around Infowars has been related to false news, which is a serious issue that we are working to address by demoting links marked wrong by fact checkers and suggesting additional content, none of the violations that spurred today’s removals were related to this.
There's no need for them to quote the direct posts or contents that violated the TOS, that only furthers the reach of the violating material. The press release is specific, detailed, and informative.

I believe Apple also put out a statement, YouTube cited videos containing hate speech against Muslims. Not sure about Twitter (yet)

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!

Last edited by BTBaboon; 08-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.
BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #96692
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bostonsux013 View Post
    I do believe it is succumbing to outside pressure. I have long admired the CEO's stance until yesterday. That is the purpose for this conversation.

I'm also trying to hear consenting viewpoints because that is how you have a healthy discussion.
    Well, good on you for wanting to hear both sides of the argument.

My belief is that these companies have been hesitant to strictly enforce their terms of service up until now because they fear the backlash they would receive from right-wing media and their followers. That is the end of the political spectrum where most of the controversial subject matter is originating from so there exists a misperception on the right that they are being 'targeted' when it's just how things balance out in our current climate.

If it takes public pressure for them to enforce their own rules then so be it. If they don't like it then they should change their rules.

Last edited by Route_2; 08-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Route_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #96693
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Trump revokes the security clearance of the former director of the CIA. Brennan was first appointed as the Director of the National Counterterrorism Center by George W. Bush in 2004, then served as the 5th Homeland Security Adviser to Obama, before being appointed to the top of the CIA

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/trum...clearance.html

This is a purely political move and has nothing to do with national security. Can we go back to normalcy soon?

Last edited by BTBaboon; 08-15-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #96694
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Hopefully the real fun starts in about 2.5 months
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #96695
    jmc419

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    FB, YT and Twitter could site several examples of the specific violation. I don't believe that has happened yet.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    It has. Facebook put out a specific press release: https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/08...ity-standards/

There's no need for them to quote the direct posts or contents that violated the TOS, that only furthers the reach of the violating material. The press release is specific, detailed, and informative.

I believe Apple also put out a statement, YouTube cited videos containing hate speech against Muslims. Not sure about Twitter (yet)
    jmc419 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #96696
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Trump revokes the security clearance of the former director of the CIA. Brennan was first appointed as the Director of the National Counterterrorism Center by George W. Bush in 2004, then served as the 5th Homeland Security Adviser to Obama, before being appointed to the top of the CIA

This is a purely political move and has nothing to do with national security. Can we go back to normalcy soon?
    I'm completely ignorant to normal process here, but why does a former Director still have clearance?
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #96697
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They were very explicit about which parts of the TOS were violated and why the accounts were suspended.

If you don't care to read the detailed press release, that's not FB's problem.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #96698
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    I'm completely ignorant to normal process here, but why does a former Director still have clearance?
    They keep a basic level (not their full, previously level) after leaving their post.

This does a decent job of explaining: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/securit...-do-they-work/

Quote:
    "It's not just a courtesy," Morell said. "For as long as I have been aware, which is probably two decades, former senior officials have kept their clearances. And the purpose is not to benefit the individual. It's to benefit the government. So, for example, I go into CIA regularly and I help them think through issues, I talk to people, I'm there to assist in any variety of ways. I also serve on a government commission that I could not serve on without having my clearances."
    It's basically to help with continuity and assist government intelligence agencies

Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #96699
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Need to split it up so theres at least 1 conservative leaning Cali
    Enjoy Fresno
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #96700
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Fair enough reasons. Pretty sure Republicans were blasted for supporting Roy Moore w similar excuses.
    There were multiple accusers in Moore's case and the evidence kept mounting. That's not the case with Ellison, yet anyway. If it gets to a similar point as Moore (multiple accusers with credible stories and/or evidence), then I have no problem not supporting him.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #96701
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The purge continues. This is the sort of behavior that dictators use. There is no other reasonable way to explain it.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #96702
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Trying to understand your position as it's so far not very clear. So, you're just anti-TOS in general? Just a free for all on those platforms with no rules?
    The terms of service are what a company makes them.

Ok f they want d to keep Alex Jones on they could modify them or interpret things differently.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #96703
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    I think it’s always the economy. If he can make the case that GDP, stock market, employment are all good under him then people will vote to continue with him running things.

If things go to shit the case would be made he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
    Quote:
    But what I'm saying is that the bold is actually what matters, not the metrics themselves. Feels > reals, and all that.

His base can buy into the narrative that the economy has never been better, despite actual facts that it has, or that black jobs are higher under Trump than Obama even though they aren't, etc. That blind belief, to me, is the tribalism that I was talking about, and is what really matters far more than actual results.
    And this is exactly what I was getting at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.49fb0f9ba5ed

Real Wages down, Republican satisfaction up. It's not "the economy, stupid", it's "my feelings, stupid" now.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #96704
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And this is exactly what I was getting at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.49fb0f9ba5ed

Real Wages down, Republican satisfaction up. It's not "the economy, stupid", it's "my feelings, stupid" now.
    This is fairly nuanced. I’m sure if you wanted to find other measures to make the case trumps economy is humming you could.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #96705
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is fairly nuanced. I’m sure if you wanted to find other measures to make the case trumps economy is humming you could.
    Right, but the economy is also really no different by most measures than under Obama. If the economy really is good now, it was good under Obama (or bad now, bad under Obama, either way), and you'd assume people who are happy now would have been happy then. But that isn't the case, and I can't help but think that having your "team" in power is a hugely significant factor in satisfaction - thus the tribalism I'm talking about.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #96706
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Right, but the economy is also really no different by most measures than under Obama. If the economy really is good now, it was good under Obama (or bad now, bad under Obama, either way), and you'd assume people who are happy now would have been happy then. But that isn't the case, and I can't help but think that having your "team" in power is a hugely significant factor in satisfaction - thus the tribalism I'm talking about.
    It’s going to take more than stagnant real wage growth to make the dem case that the economy is in better hands with someone else.

Last edited by Climb2safety; 08-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #96707
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

If the economy were what still moves the needle for most voters wouldn't we see that reflected in Trump's approval ratings? They've basically stated in the same range since he took office despite this 'improved economy'.
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #96708
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s going to take more than stagnant wage growth to make the dem case that the economy is in better hands with someone else.
    I think you're missing my point. All the Dems have to do is make their base FEEL like things are bad and would be better with a Dem. The metrics don't matter. The economy doesn't matter, the messaging to the base does.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #96709
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

@PhilipRucker
    Trump also is reviewing security clearances of James Clapper, James Comey, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page.

What do they have in common? They're political critics of Trump. Looks like a Trump blacklist.
    https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/sta...99693285515265

@jaketapper
    Not on the list: Gen Michael Flynn, who pleaded guilty to making false statements to the FBI
    https://twitter.com/jaketapper/statu...00452320370690
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #96710
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    If the economy were what still moves the needle for most voters wouldn't we see that reflected in Trump's approval ratings? They've basically stated in the same range since he took office despite this 'improved economy'.
    You said improved economy not me. I said it’s not tanking.

He has a 51% economic approval rating according to CNBC in June. 10 points higher than his overall approval rating.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #96711
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you're missing my point. All the Dems have to do is make their base FEEL like things are bad and would be better with a Dem. The metrics don't matter. The economy doesn't matter, the messaging to the base does.
    Good luck with that strategy when they are not I guess.

I say it won’t work.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #96712
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You said improved economy not me. I said it’s not tanking.

He has a 51% economic approval rating according to CNBC in June. 10 points higher than his overall approval rating.
    I didn't say it. It's clearly in quotes and represents a perception.

I guess that CNBC number would mean more for voters that only vote for the economy as their only issue of concern. But, even 50% is pretty bad considering the factors (sans wage growth). Bad signs.
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #96713
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good luck with that strategy when they are not I guess.

I say it won’t work.
    It worked for the GOP in 2016. Trump was there to end American carnage. People felt the economy was bad, violent crime was up, etc etc etc. Most of it was an enormous exaggeration or an outright lie. Didn't matter, and it worked bigly.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #96714
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It worked for the GOP in 2016. Trump was there to end American carnage. People felt the economy was bad, violent crime was up, etc etc etc. Most of it was an enormous exaggeration or an outright lie. Didn't matter, and it worked bigly.

Agree to disagree I guess.
    Exit polls in three key swing states showed the economy was by far the most important issue. BUT, they thought Clinton had the stronger message. And in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin she won those voters.

Given this current economy and trump at the helm for 3 years of it, Dems are going to find it hard to suggest changing course is the right thing to do.

If the economy swings though, or even just in these swing states, then it gets easier especially given everything else.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #96715
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

The argument is not that hard. Democratic leadership brought the country out of the Republican created Great Recession and set the table for continued success under Trump. He is a steward of the excellent economy Obama left him. Good for him for not completely fucking it up? You can now vote for a Democrat who will continue that success and doesn't have all the (to put it mildly) baggage, controversy, corruption of Trump.

Last edited by Route_2; 08-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Route_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #96716
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exit polls in three key swing states showed the economy was by far the most important issue. BUT, they thought Clinton had the stronger message. And in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin she won those voters.
    And she lost all 3 of those states...

Old 08-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #96717
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And she lost all 3 of those states...
    She did, because she was such an incredibly flawed candidate.

But, people who voted for the economy voted for her which makes sense since it was doing well and she was seen as more of the same compared to an unknown.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #96718
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Lol at you people that are fine with FB but not with cake baker bro.
    Old 08-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #96719
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They keep a basic level (not their full, previously level) after leaving their post.

This does a decent job of explaining: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/securit...-do-they-work/

It's basically to help with continuity and assist government intelligence agencies
    thanks!

I figured that was probably it. Once a CIA Director, always a CIA Director
    Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #96720
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    She did, because she was such an incredibly flawed candidate.

But, people who voted for the economy voted for her which makes sense since it was doing well and she was seen as more of the same compared to an unknown.
    But that proves my point...the candidate/campaign/messaging is ultimately what won/lost, not maintaining current economic conditions. I'm not saying there's literally no one voting on that, I'm just saying that it isn't the deciding factor it used to be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    Lol at you people that are fine with FB but not with cake baker bro.
    Lol at you not understanding that race/religion/gender are protected class but political affiliations are not. Resident lawyer and DC Comic loyalist Steng already provided a course on this months back during the Colorado case.