In need of some golf tips... - Page 46 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #1351
Noles20
Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: In need of some golf tips...

Last 5 rounds: 78, 78, 81, 80, 78. The 78 today was from 6600 yard tees at a course I have never played before. Things are coming together!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #1352
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

very nice scores!

Played very solid Saturday - 82. Lowest in probably close to two years. Had 2 birdies along with 2 additional near misses... very much could have had 3 or 4 total.
    If I cut out the 4 doubles I had, it would have been a special round.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #1353
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Horrible round today, this game can be humbling
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #1354
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

And tonight shoot a 38, the ups and downs of this game
    Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #1355
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

How's everyone's game been this summer? Crazy to think we've only got 8-10 or so weeks of "real" golf left up in this neck of the woods.

This year was the first where I played with any sort of consistency, after playing a few rounds here and there the past two years prior.

Been practicing a decent amount (when I can between work and having a newborn), but I'm on the verge of breaking 90 finally. I've played a few rounds at 91-92 but just can't seem to break that barrier. Had a chance at it my last round a few weeks ago but went triple/double on 17 and 18 to finish.

My approach/short game is my biggest weakness. I am usually long and straight off the tee, and I've been driving the ball consistently in the 250-270 range (even had a couple 300 yarders on some hot and dry days this summer with some decent roll). But no shot terrifies me more than 90-100 yards away with a 56 or 60 degree wedge in my hands. Putting has improved a lot this year, as well, but I still am doing a ton of two- and three-putting, which obviously adds up over the course of a round.

Playing tomorrow at 1:00 p.m., supposed to be gorgeous. Probably one of the last rounds I'll play while the weather is still prime. I love fall golf, but when you hit the ball in the rough as much as I do, the leaves become a serious problem
    Old 09-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #1356
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Nice Steng, I've had a good but somewhat frustrating year in that I have played a ton and only had two rounds above 85 but still haven't been under 80 yet while having shot 80 four times this summer. My health has been bad for the last couple weeks, looking to get back into it tomorrow after work.
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #1357
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Nice Steng, I've had a good but somewhat frustrating year in that I have played a ton and only had two rounds above 85 but still haven't been under 80 yet while having shot 80 four times this summer. My health has been bad for the last couple weeks, looking to get back into it tomorrow after work.
    Yeah I saw you'd been dealing with some stuff, sorry to hear you've been struggling man. Glad you're well enough to get out there tomorrow, though.

It'd be good to get some more convo about people's games/scores etc.

Also, don't know if anyone uses it, but I'm on the 18Birdies app, which I really like a lot. Very accurate with distances, and it gives you some cool statistical breakdowns from your recent rounds. It also helps me keep track of my performance over time, it's been fun seeing my "MyPar" (their handicap thing) creep down over the course of the summer.

If anyone is on and wants to add, PM me for the username.
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #1358
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Picking my son up today for a 2:43 tee time.

Super excited.

He loves to drive the cart, i love to drink the dales. We have a great time.

I’ve played three times this year. Probably shoot 102.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #1359
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I've had a busy August and September. Haven't been on the course since July 20th for my birthday!

I try to go to the range at least once a week after work, but I broke one of my fingers over LDW and can't hit a ball for another couple weeks. Just been doing one handed swings in my living room while I rewatch this year's Masters on my DVR.

Fortunately I usually am able to keep playing through the winter up here with some layers and decent rain gear.

Would it be fun to post/share our swings for some light-hearted critique?
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #1360
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Playing tomorrow morning with my FIL... looking forward to it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #1361
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Playing tomorrow morning with my FIL... looking forward to it.

I would say kick the old man's ass but ... who has seniority??
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #1362
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I've had a busy August and September. Haven't been on the course since July 20th for my birthday!

I try to go to the range at least once a week after work, but I broke one of my fingers over LDW and can't hit a ball for another couple weeks. Just been doing one handed swings in my living room while I rewatch this year's Masters on my DVR.

Fortunately I usually am able to keep playing through the winter up here with some layers and decent rain gear.

Would it be fun to post/share our swings for some light-hearted critique?
    I'd definitely be down. My swing is definitely not great, but it's gotten a lot better even in the past few months. I read Ben Hogan's book on the five fundamentals of golf and that alone has helped me tremendously.
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #1363
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would say kick the old man's ass but ... who has seniority??
    He's the senior for sure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #1364
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I'd definitely be down. My swing is definitely not great, but it's gotten a lot better even in the past few months. I read Ben Hogan's book on the five fundamentals of golf and that alone has helped me tremendously.
    I have a good friend who is just now getting into golf and I got him a copy of that book to start out. A classic.

I'll try to upload a recent swing to YouTube over the weekend to share. My swing is not great either. I am a classic over-the-topper that has tried relentlessly over the past few years to get things straightened out. My mind knows what I should be doing, but the body doesn't always cooperate. The struggle is real (but fun).
    Old 09-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #1365
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have a good friend who is just now getting into golf and I got him a copy of that book to start out. A classic.

I'll try to upload a recent swing to YouTube over the weekend to share. My swing is not great either. I am a classic over-the-topper that has tried relentlessly over the past few years to get things straightened out. My mind knows what I should be doing, but the body doesn't always cooperate. The struggle is real (but fun).
    I've got a big front shoulder dip that I can't seem to shake, but I've been hitting the ball fairly decently as of late so I'm sort of taking the approach of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My swing is definitely never going to be perfect, I'm fused at L5-S1 and I don't have a ton of lower back flexibility so I'm a little handsy/shoulder-sy in my turn.

I'll try to remember to capture it on video soon, tomorrow might be a bit rough since I haven't swung in more than two weeks
    Old 09-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #1366
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Going out Saturday Morning before my buddies wedding, looking forward to it. If I can keep it low 80's I'll mark her a good round.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #1367
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

What do you see it being caused by and how are you trying to correct it?
    Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #1368
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What do you see it being caused by and how are you trying to correct it?
    My natural tendency from when I first picked up a club is to start my downswing by turning my shoulders out towards the ball first and from there I can only just dump everything across my body to the left. Slice city most of my life. I also do a bit of goat humping to counteract and drop the club down to a degree.

I've tried every slice fix drill under the sun over the years. Some with better results than others. What seems to work the best is a feeling that I'm sitting down more in transition, like lowering my butt onto a stool slightly and feeling like the clubhead stays along an imaginary wall behind me for a bit, so I don't turn and get the club out in front of me too soon. Then I have to sprinkle in a bit of feeling the club face closing sooner than I'm used to.

It's a work in progress. This year I bought a little device that holds my iPhone on my golf bag so I can film my swing at the range to check positions and progress which has helped a lot. I need that instant feedback or I just fall back into my old habits.

Last edited by Route_2; 09-12-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Route_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #1369
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My natural tendency from when I first picked up a club is to start my downswing by turning my shoulders out towards the ball first and from there I can only just dump everything across my body to the left. Slice city most of my life. I also do a bit of goat humping to counteract and drop the club down to a degree.

I've tried every slice fix drill under the sun over the years. Some with better results than others. What seems to work the best is a feeling that I'm sitting down more in transition, like lowering my butt onto a stool slightly and feeling like the clubhead stays along an imaginary wall behind me for a bit, so I don't turn and get the club out in front of me too soon. Then I have to sprinkle in a bit of feeling the club face closing sooner than I'm used to.

It's a work in progress. This year I bought a little device that holds my iPhone on my golf bag so I can film my swing at the range to check positions and progress which has helped a lot. I need that instant feedback or I just fall back into my old habits.

I would take lessons if that is an option but aside from that your shoulders should be in line at address, then front shoulder should be going back to being in line with your back foot on the back swing with no dipping, can always check this in a mirror without even having a club in your hand.

I hit a slight draw and irons are the strength of my game, one of the drills I do constantly (daily just about) is having two feet together and swing just with my arms every club wedge to driver anywhere from 25-75 yards. A lot of people try to fix all sorts of things while doing a full swing at full speed over and over, what matters the most is impact. If you do this drill regularly you'll own the bottom of your swing, after that it's just adjusting feet and ball position to whichever club you are hitting and rotating more to get into a full swing.

The other drill I do is the pump drill and really trying to make sure the butt end of the shaft would be hitting a wall with the shaft being parallel to the target line before impact (Justin Rose does this before every swing), this has helped me get my hands away from my head at the top of my back swing and shallow out the swing plane. It also helps add lag and distance.

If you work on these drills it seems like you would be making your swing more shallow, more rotational, and get away from going over the top. It shouldn't take years to correct a swing flaw. I might be saying stuff you already know but just thought I would share what has worked for me to get on the right plane, also have been taking lessons for years. I'm obsessed with swing mechanics and learning about it but it's helped me a lot, BruceW can also help!

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 09-12-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Old 09-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #1370
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Also yes you want to feel like you are "sitting" as you said at address, this gets your spine angle correct which again shallows out the swing plane, if you are standing too tall at address you are more likely to slice
    Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #1371
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

I have taken lessons over the years, but I'm what you might call a tough case. It gets expensive and I enjoy my DIY incremental process for the most part.

The biggest help with the video is the feel vs. real thing. You might think you're making some drastic change but it will usually barely, if at all, show up on video. You really have to exaggerate things to start to see a difference, for me anyway.

I'm not perfect, but I've come a long way from a couple years ago.
    Old 09-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #1372
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have taken lessons over the years, but I'm what you might call a tough case. It gets expensive and I enjoy my DIY incremental process for the most part.

The biggest help with the video is the feel vs. real thing. You might think you're making some drastic change but it will usually barely, if at all, show up on video. You really have to exaggerate things to start to see a difference, for me anyway.

I'm not perfect, but I've come a long way from a couple years ago.

Yep lessons can be crazy expensive, sounds like you are on a good track
    Old 09-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #1373
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I hit a slight draw and irons are the strength of my game, one of the drills I do constantly (daily just about) is having two feet together and swing just with my arms every club wedge to driver anywhere from 25-75 yards. A lot of people try to fix all sorts of things while doing a full swing at full speed over and over, what matters the most is impact. If you do this drill regularly you'll own the bottom of your swing, after that it's just adjusting feet and ball position to whichever club you are hitting and rotating more to get into a full swing.
    I like this one a lot. There's a version of it in the Ben Hogan book. I find it's a really good one to come back to if everything gets out of whack and I just need to reset myself.

Quote:
    The other drill I do is the pump drill and really trying to make sure the butt end of the shaft would be hitting a wall with the shaft being parallel to the target line before impact (Justin Rose does this before every swing), this has helped me get my hands away from my head at the top of my back swing and shallow out the swing plane. It also helps add lag and distance.
    Love this one too. Very similar to my keeping the club head on an imaginary wall behind me thought. Really helps to prevent me from spinning out to early in the downswing.

Good stuff, TS.
    Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #1374
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Amazing afternoon with my boy. Nothing better in life.

100. 53-47

My son played his best round. A+ Day.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 77180AF0-5CE8-4C69-BA89-14A0B2F036BF.jpg (72.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Climb2safety; 09-12-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #1375
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry for the upside down picture. Don’t know how to fix it. Maybe some else can

Old 09-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #1376
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    Amazing afternoon with my boy. Nothing better in life.

100. 53-47

My son played his best round. A+ Day.
    Nice!
    Old 09-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #1377
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Been a very up and down year for me, best of 81 and worst of 98. Just all over the map, but averaging around 87. I'm sure if I got to play and practice more I could get that down to the low 80's.
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #1378
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Started the year off so strong and now not so good. I am switching country clubs next year. The course I play at now is OB and hazards everywhere. Every time I play a normal course I hit the ball so much better. As soon as I get back to my home course, its like a different person is playing. Almost every round I play is the same: 13-14 good holes and 4-5 blow up holes the I hit it OB off the tee and end up not finishing the hole out. Not much fun playing like that. My son however is a +1 now and I can't believe how much better he continues to get each season. Kid has serious game.
    Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #1379
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

What do you guys bags look like. I have Titleist 910 driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and hybrid, AP1 4-PW, Vokey 56 and 60 and Ping Craz-E Karsten series w/Surestroke fatso grip. I think I'm falling behind on tech a bit so I think after next season I'll start rebuilding.
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #1380
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
    What do you guys bags look like. I have Titleist 910 driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and hybrid, AP1 4-PW, Vokey 56 and 60 and Ping Craz-E Karsten series w/Surestroke fatso grip. I think I'm falling behind on tech a bit so I think after next season I'll start rebuilding.
    I bought all my clubs used, but have managed to amass a decent bag. Probably will upgrade with a custom fitting and the whole nine in about five years. Just not a priority at the moment.

Titles 910 D2 9.5 degree Driver
    Callaway X 3 Wood
    Some shitty Spalding 5 Wood I got for free from a friend
    3I through 9I are Mizuno MP 57 Muscle Cut
    PW, SW, and 60 degree wedge are all Cleveland 691 Chrome
    I think my 56 degree is also a Cleveland but it's older, don't really use it much
    Have a Ping blade putter, don't know the model or the year but it's pretty new