Atlanta--The Fourth to the Last Stop - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
*loverulesme*

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Atlanta--The Fourth to the Last Stop

First let me say that there will be no review of Big Whiskey songs here. If you want analysis/feedback on BW tunes, go listen to the CD, and you'll find that it is quite representative of what you get at a show. Going to another review is also an option, of course.

Second, other than BW songs, I am extremely pleased to say that we only got one repeat, Say Goodbye, from the 7/27/2010 show here in ATL. If you attended both shows, you got a good range of the catalog, which was a relief and very nice.

Third, the show was far from sold out. This surprised me since ATL was one of the very first summer shows to sell out. I cannot explain it, but this fact worked greatly to my benefit because I arrived at the venue at 7 and within 5 minutes had a $100 pit ticket for $20. I only really mention it because I think that paying only $20 can really color a person's view of a show. I had so little invested. I really could not lose.

Also, since I have been a fan for so long, I am no longer chasing any white whales. I go in at ease and tend just to enjoy the show these days--unlike when I was desperate to hear Dreaming Tree and whatnot.

Top-tier songs for me tonight:

Pig. A lovely song played absolutely beautifully, as usual. I would guess that this one pleases just about everyone, and I love hearing it. No surprises, just a great song.

Grey Street. Such a gem. Given that I am a woman with some fairly big problems in my life right now (but not huge, thank goodness), this one speaks to me, and it's just soooooo good. I would guess that guys love it for its rockability, and many women add to this their identification with the lyrics. Hopefully, for you other women out there, it inspires/reminds you to get out your colors bold and bright and start painting!

The Last Stop. Thank you, thank you, thank you, DMB! What a highlight, completely tight and just rockin'. I saw the first Last Stop in Roanoke at the BTCS-release party in '98, but hell, I had no idea what I was hearing then. Tonight, I knew. I was so f'ing happy! Once again, my hopes have been met by this band, and they played it like pros--even jamming it out some in a masterful way toward the end before it got quiet for Dave's repetition of the "Come in from the cold for a while, Everything's gonna be all right--Good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye--Everything's gonna be all right," which was poignant and soothing and perfect for the occasion.

Second-tier highlights for me:

Rhyme & Reason. One of the best songs of the night in terms of their playing together and getting their groove on. I completely loved it and felt more "transported" by it than by any other song tonight, which surprised me.

Rapunzel. Not a huge fan of this one for a long time, but they just did an outstanding job on it tonight. I'm not sure who changed--them or me, but I enjoyed it immensely, especially, again, their jamming toward the end. Total synergy. A real pleasure.

What Would You Say. Trombone Shorty joined in for this one, and he added so much without taking over the song or going on forever! Just a really good performance from everyone and a fine song to bring TS in on.

Christmas Song. Just glad to hear this beauty again. Very well done. Pretty quiet crowd for it, which was impressive. I felt lucky to be hearing it during this season this year, and especially happy for those who have been waiting and hoping for it.

Jimi Thing. Really nice way to end the main set. Everyone got some individualized attention from Dave after their respective solos. Dave did the scatting that I have heard so much about over the years but don't think I have ever seen. He also did the "Stop. Hey. What's that sound? Everybody look what's going down" thing repeatedly. Crowd loved it and did most of that "Stop. Hey" part.

3rd-tier highlights

Needle and the Damage Done. Dave talked about Roi before it. He said he just felt compelled to play it because it makes him think about when people you love leave too early. Beautiful solo, short song.

Blackjack? Not sure about this one. Hard to judge on a first hear, but I think I like it, maybe a lot.

Stay or Leave. Saw it D&T in 2003, loved it then. Still do. First time hearing full band, but not the original full band for this one, so I tend to think of how the guys might find it weird to participate in work that Dave did on Some Devil without them.

Final note: Loads of Davespeak tonight. He was in a great mood--dancing quite a lot throughout the show, also doing some silly dancing and interacting with the crowd at times, after having recovered from an illness last week. He said he feels a lot better, just what we wanted to hear! Using a mock southern voice, he talked a lot about how it is "the cold and flu season," and we need to take our vitamins, and how much he thinks medicine can be a veeeery good thing sometimes, and how he wants more of it--telling us what story he might tell his doctor in order to get more.

Really good time!

Thank you so much DMB for yet another one!

I hope that the Third to the Last Stop, Second to the Last Stop, and The Last Stop itself are at least equally as good! If so, you'll be fortunate people (if you are going), as I am right now. I think there's a really good chance you will get satisfactory shows because I think Dave is invigorated right now--primarily because he knows he has time to breathe and look around and be uncommitted, etc, next year. In other words, his knowledge of the break might be contributing to better shows now. If that's what it takes and that's what he needs, then I am all for it!

However, instead of saying "Good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye" to Dave, I say, "Farewell, farewell, farewell, farewell."

Enjoy your time next year, or for however long you need, Dave. You deserve it!
*loverulesme* is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here