The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.) - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
smokew11
1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

there's no june 31st btw, sing the song

you're not really helping yourself

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #32
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

What does the $45 on 1/1 have to do with it? Your ESPP allows you to sell the stock the day after you buy it? I've never seen one with less than a 2 year hold but I suppose it's possible.
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Rebecca De Mornay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #33
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

it just doesnt sound right that you could buy at a 15% discount and sell the next day. why wouldnt everyone put tens of thousands into that?
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    i think they were just busting on you for the 115% remark. that aside, it sounds like you have a pretty good deal going. is there a limit to how much you can purchase? If not you should start throw fat stacks at it
    The response to me saying that I couldn't get a higher guaranteed six-month return anywhere else was, "This is not a promising post." I get that the 115% comment was dumb, but if there is some better short-term investment out there, I'm all ears.

I can contribute up to 10% of my post-tax income, which is what I do. For the first period this year, I ended up purchasing at $46.36 and selling at $70.78. I'll take it.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #35
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Mine capped me at 5% of my salary but there was also a 2 year holding period. I've only seen the specifics on ESPP's for 2 different companies and they both had 2 year holds as well, I'm not sure what the rules are.
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    The response to me saying that I couldn't get a higher guaranteed six-month return anywhere else was, "This is not a promising post." I get that the 115% comment was dumb, but if there is some better short-term investment out there, I'm all ears.

I can contribute up to 10% of my post-tax income, which is what I do. For the first period this year, I ended up purchasing at $46.36 and selling at $70.78. I'll take it.
    So you are holding it for a period of time? Concentrated equity is not a short-term investment and is in no way guaranteed, that's why I posted that. There will be periods of time that will not work out as well.
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    there's no june 31st btw, sing the song

you're not really helping yourself
    Multi-tasking results in dumb mistakes 115% of the time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    What does the $45 on 1/1 have to do with it? Your ESPP allows you to sell the stock the day after you buy it? I've never seen one with less than a 2 year hold but I suppose it's possible.
    The purchase price every six months is 85% of the lower price on either the first or last day of the period. So I purchase at 85% of either the 1/1 or 6/30 price, whichever is lower. We can sell immediately. You can suppose all you want, but it is definitely possible.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #38
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    So you are holding it for a period of time? Concentrated equity is not a short-term investment and is in no way guaranteed, that's why I posted that. There will be periods of time that will not work out as well.
    I held it a little longer this time as the stock has been performing well lately. That's not the norm. It jumped almost 7% today and I decided I was good.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Multi-tasking results in dumb mistakes 115% of the time.

The purchase price every six months is 85% of the lower price on either the first or last day of the period. So I purchase at 85% of either the 1/1 or 6/30 price, whichever is lower. We can sell immediately. You can suppose all you want, but it is definitely possible.
    well played

i dont know, for a $24 return i think it'd be worth it to just let it go. if you believe in your company and cash out in 15-20 years you could have a nice return
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #40
    aclark0622
    man/bag of sand

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

So student loans will be paid off at the end of the summer, then begins my foray into investing/saving more. What's the beginner's guide to this stuff?
    -andy
    aclark0622 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

IRA's are generally a safe way to go. congrats on finishing up your loans. I have about 15 yrs to go at $500/month
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #42
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    well played

i dont know, for a $24 return i think it'd be worth it to just let it go. if you believe in your company and cash out in 15-20 years you could have a nice return
    I would rather diversify than keep all of my non-401(k) savings in a single stock. And then there is the fact that there has been so much uncertainty in the health care industry over the past couple years that I didn't want to tie my money up there. I may start saving some a little longer in the future, but it will never be all of it, as I don't want to tie up that much of what I'm putting away in a single stock.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #43
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    I think I read somewhere that like - 70% of Americans are living pay check to pay check. That gives me hope and makes me feel better about the money I am saving, but I still know Im not doing enough. Basically Im putting 3% of my paycheck into a 401k, I do have a mutual fund my dad set up for me years and years ago, and I have a bit of a "rainy day fund" too. I wish I was doing better tho.
    same boat
    Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #44
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Ah cool thread. I was meaning to make one of these at some point, but got sidetracked and forgot.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #45
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a big fan of the Roth IRA, especially if you are under 30. My company recently added a Roth 401k to the traditional 401k in the past year, which is pretty nice because you can mix them at whatever % you like. The company match will always be traditional though.

I'm mostly in a debt reduction stage these days. Trying to payoff all my CC debt and my Sallie Mae loan (smallest of my student loans) by year end. If I didn't incur $7,000 in medical expenses in 6 months, my CC debt would have already been gone. (my insurance really sucks balls)

For anyone that has happenstance medical problems seemingly every year: Get a Health Savings Account if you can. The tax advantages are great.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #46
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

I hear ya Tid..you know my deal. My biggest issue is my student loans. theyre killing me
    Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #47
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Roth IRA, especially if you are under 30. My company recently added a Roth 401k to the traditional 401k in the past year, which is pretty nice because you can mix them at whatever % you like. The company match will always be traditional though.

I'm mostly in a debt reduction stage these days. Trying to payoff all my CC debt and my Sallie Mae loan (smallest of my student loans) by year end. If I didn't incur $7,000 in medical expenses in 6 months, my CC debt would have already been gone. (my insurance really sucks balls)

For anyone that has happenstance medical problems seemingly every year: Get a Health Savings Account if you can. The tax advantages are great.
    i've been contributing since 23 (now 26) at 8-10% a year with a company flat rate of 10%. it's been a great scenario especially since our funds have averaged 8.5% RoR over that time, but our company is gradually dropping down to a 6% match over the next 2 years. I also just switched over from a traditional 401k account to a roth account for work. Plan to use that going forward.

all my "extra money" just sits in my checking though. need to seriously look in putting half of it somewhere

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-19-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #48
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    i've been contributing since 23 (now 26) at 8-10% a year with a company flat rate of 10%. it's been a great scenario especially since our funds have averaged 8.5% RoR over that time, but our company is gradually dropping down to a 6% match over the next 2 years. I also just switched over from a traditional 401k account to a roth account for work. Plan to use that going forward.

all my "extra money" just sits in my checking though. need to seriously look in putting half of it somewhere
    By company flat rate, do you mean your company was matching up to 10%? Or that they were just giving you 10% flat either way? Wow. Either way, that's huge. Mine only matches at 5%, I've heard 6% match is pretty common.

As far as the checking, yea I'd do something with it, depending how much it is in relation to your monthly expenses (3 months worth? Keep it. Two years worth? Yeah, that money can afford to go somewhere). The good thing is that we'll probably see a rising rate environment sooner than later. The bad thing is, most banks have a ton of excess liquidity, so while loan rates will rise, deposit rates will probably hang pretty low for quite a while (besides CD specials).

Before the recession, there were great options like an "Investment Savings Account" or a good Money Market account for your excess funds that you didn't want to invest and still wanted access to. Those were paying 4-5% back in 2007. Nowadays, it is tough finding anything with a return without jumping into the market.

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 07-19-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #49
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    By company flat rate, do you mean your company was matching up to 10%? Or that they were just giving you 10% flat either way? Wow. Either way, that's huge. Mine only matches at 5%, I've heard 6% match is pretty common.

As far as the checking, yea I'd do something with it, depending how much it is in relation to your monthly expenses (3 months worth? Keep it. Two years worth? Yeah, that money can afford to go somewhere). The good thing is that we'll probably see a rising rate environment sooner than later. The bad thing is, most banks have a ton of excess liquidity, so while loan rates will rise, deposit rates will probably hang pretty low for quite a while (besides CD specials).

Before the recession, there were great options like an "Investment Savings Account" or a good Money Market account for your excess funds that you didn't want to invest and still wanted access to. Those were paying 4-5% back in 2007. Nowadays, it is tough finding anything with a return without jumping into the market.
    you don't even have to contribute, they give us 10%. well did (since their inception back in the 1900s). last year was 7.5, this year will be 7, and next year we move to a 6% match.

that's depressing. i really don't want to put $2-4k in the market right now
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #50
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you don't even have to contribute, they give us 10%. well did (since their inception back in the 1900s). last year was 7.5, this year will be 7, and next year we move to a 6% match.

that's depressing. i really don't want to put $2-4k in the market right now
    Yeah, with that amount I wouldn't either.

There was a good chunk of time back in 2008-2010 where I wasn't concerned about my student loans, and thus was investing my regular $2k-3k every couple months into a new stock. I've had fun doing individual stock picking, especially focusing on good dividend payers.

I'm up 80% in a pure dollars invested standpoint, but this also corresponded with a rising market. I did a quick scenario if I'd stayed in the S&P 500 index fund I was originally in back in 2008, and I would have come out just about the same.

To play that game, you have to expect you'll have a recurring $2-3k every couple months though. I wouldn't mess around with your dollars for two reasons:

1.) The market is just too overpriced. Even if you are a consummate "lol r u dumb the market will go up fourever", it's still wise to enter after a pullback. I just came in at a good time. I would never trust myself in a market like today.

2.) It's just not worth it unless you know that $2-4k will be replenished quickly (i.e. the majority of your paycheck is free for you to do whatever with it, so you can just save up. A lot of people don't have that luxury with rent and house pmts).

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 07-19-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #51
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would rather diversify than keep all of my non-401(k) savings in a single stock. And then there is the fact that there has been so much uncertainty in the health care industry over the past couple years that I didn't want to tie my money up there. I may start saving some a little longer in the future, but it will never be all of it, as I don't want to tie up that much of what I'm putting away in a single stock.
    absolutely, but I was talking specifically about that $24. Its only $24, it doesnt (i hope) make much of a difference if you have it or not right away, so why not let it roll for x-amount of years and cash out when you leave the company or retire? You can still invest in other stocks or funds, but that little return your getting could be a nice resigning/retirement bonus

Quote:
    im pretty lucky, mine did 7% 2 yrs ago, 12% last yr, and 16% this year
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #52
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, with that amount I wouldn't either.

There was a good chunk of time back in 2008-2010 where I wasn't concerned about my student loans, and thus was investing my regular $2k-3k every couple months into a new stock. I've had fun doing individual stock picking, especially focusing on good dividend payers.

I'm up 80% in a pure dollars invested standpoint, but this also corresponded with a rising market. I did a quick scenario if I'd stayed in the S&P 500 index fund I was originally in back in 2008, and I would have come out just about the same.

To play that game, you have to expect you'll have a recurring $2-3k every couple months though. I wouldn't mess around with your dollars for two reasons:

1.) The market is just too overpriced. Even if you are a consummate "lol r u dumb the market will go up fourever", it's still wise to enter after a pullback. I just came in at a good time. I would never trust myself in a market like today.

2.) It's just not worth it unless you know that $2-4k will be replenished quickly (i.e. the majority of your paycheck is free for you to do whatever with it, so you can just save up. A lot of people don't have that luxury with rent and house pmts).
    yeah, i was kind of having the same feelings and thoughts. so where's the best place i should be putting that? ideally that's housing down payment, engagement ring, bed money. so i want access to it when i need it, and i'd be satisfied with > 1% return. i know a couple of the online banks (ally, etc) offer high yield (0.85%) savings, but I don't really want to open a savings with them when i could be getting a larger discount via auto insurance through usaa and their savings (0.25% but i save on car insurance too. hell, maybe i just answered my own question )

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-19-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #53
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

sounds like you know a fair amount about market timing.

what do you do again for a living tiduwho?

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #54
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    sounds like you know a fair amount about market timing.

what do you do again for a living tiduwho?
    i'm going to be putting him on retainer as a financial/credit advisor here in a minute
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #55
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Tid is the first person I ask on here about any financial question. I just hope hes not a 12 yr old girl on wikipedia trolling all of us
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #56
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

amazing.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #57
    ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Seems like a lot of you are doing this already, but put whatever percentage your company is willing to match into the 401(k) plan. Out of sight and out of mind and you don't need to do anything. Sadly, I'm in that 5% match boat.
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #58
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryguy469 View Post
    Seems like a lot of you are doing this already, but put whatever percentage your company is willing to match into the 401(k) plan. Out of sight and out of mind and you don't need to do anything.
    this. if you dont contribute at least the max that your company will match, you're losing out on free money. my company matched 6% for years, but recently dropped down to 5% unfortunately. seems to go along with their plan of not paying their employees very well either
    Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #59
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

just joined a credit union. navy federal to be exact.
    Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #60
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    just joined a credit union. navy federal to be exact.
    NFCU is great. I have all of my accounts there.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote