The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB - Page 198 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #5911
LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Decision: Boyd Leaving DMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets42689 View Post
Idk, with Boyd there was nothing special anymore. It was getting to be the same old same old. Now there is a different feel to the music. I love the change. If you don't, im sorry to hear that. Nothing you can do about it. People like what they like. But that sucks to be you.

Why would it suck to be someone who is currently enjoying how their favorite band sounds?

Doesn’t it arguably suck less to be enjoying something than to not be enjoying something?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #5912
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    he's U2's drummer who has had extensive physical problems from a lifetime of performing. seemed relevant compared to the discussion of Carter -- ie he wouldnt be the first rock drummer to be held back by the physicality of playing their instrument.

How did I mistake Adam for Larry oops my mind just completely blanked

Makes sense now - my bad
    Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #5913
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiza View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCs4Ts4kjyc&t=1s
    at 1:53:20 right after Boyd is finished with his LIOG solo he walks to Dave & Dave nods his head says something and Boyd says thank you. Dave stood on the side of the stage during that whole solo. Maybe he was gonna go off on BT if he did not perform it well. Kinda sad that Boyd fell off that hard and lost his passion to play or even practice with the band.
    Cool clip to watch and thanks for sharing. Def felt like Dave was on him to perform well. Watching clips of that show compared to this years tour shows me how much fun the band his having now versus a couple years ago. Miss the violin but I think the band is in a much healthier position now.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #5914
    krobinson_3232

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post
    Why would it suck to be someone who is currently enjoying how their favorite band sounds?

Doesn’t it arguably suck less to be enjoying something than to not be enjoying something?
    Yea I didn't get that either lol. I said the band sounds really good
    krobinson_3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #5915
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    Cool clip to watch and thanks for sharing. Def felt like Dave was on him to perform well. Watching clips of that show compared to this years tour shows me how much fun the band his having now versus a couple years ago. Miss the violin but I think the band is in a much healthier position now.
    You have to go back several, several years for when Boyd was performing at a high level night in and night out...even listen to this stuff from 10 years ago...it sounds like someone completely different. V

A very sad decline for someone who at one time was a rather incredible musician.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #5916
    bfiddle27

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    You have to go back several, several years for when Boyd was performing at a high level night in and night out...even listen to this stuff from 10 years ago...it sounds like someone completely different. V

A very sad decline for someone who at one time was a rather incredible musician.
    yes yes and yes... a few years ago, I thought "is it possible the best Boyd sounded was on live tracks from Red Rocks (95)"... but it became evident that was the case.. go back and listen to Red Rocks, his tone , his phrasing, everything was just beautiful.

The difference (after hearing Dave's comments of course) it seems is that the rest of the band continued to improve both on their own (practicing to get better), and their commitment to the band... now it seems that slow (sad) decline you refer too was all too evident in retrospect.

Of course in Boyd's defense, I can't discount the impact Lerois death and let's face it being pushed out of the band audibly once Tim came back had on his wanting to commit, but one wonders if he had put in the effort to overcome those obstacles, if things would be different.

Also, who knows what effects smoking so much weed so often had on him, also his hand issues... it could all have just been a perfect storm...

Last edited by bfiddle27; 07-17-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    bfiddle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #5917
    bfiddle27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post

I could be wrong, but I think jets is saying it sucks to be someone who DOES NOT enjoy the band currently.... because they did state they like the band with the changes
    Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #5918
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jets42689 View Post
    I believe several people have stated on numerous occassiona that they would prefer the band stop performing. They would rather just have some Dave and Tim shows and thats it. I dont know if you were one of the many who said this, but it wouldnt surprise me if you were.

Idk, maybe I said that.

The way I feel is that what I said a bit ago. I'm not going to travel for this band in its current form. I will see them when they come to town, just like the other 200 bands I like. No big deal. IF D&T tour, I will travel for that (but really only if it's to a city I want to go to anyway; see: Vegas, Nashville, Oakland (for SF) etc...)

I'm fine with that. I don't see a reason to actively wish for them to hang it up, especially since things could always change. They could hire a violin player that slays and I could be right back to my 4-6 shows a year thing.
    Old 07-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #5919
    spiza

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    Thanks for checking it out. Yeah i miss the Violin a whole lot as well. I think after Boyd had hand surgery he was never the same physically and mentally. I could not imagine the mental strain it would take from not being able to physically perform anymore. Most of the shows i attended i thought he sounded great, a few missed notes here and there but know one is perfect. I just hope he gets well and best of luck to him.
    spiza is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #5920
    jets42689

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfiddle27 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think jets is saying it sucks to be someone who DOES NOT enjoy the band currently.... because they did state they like the band with the changes

This is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 07-18-2018, 04:48 AM   #5921
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BringBackButchT View Post
    do you mean Larry Mullen Sr.'s Son?
    he plays good rock and roll... uh... music.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #5922
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're not wrong. Maybe it wasn't as smoothly wordsmithed as it could have been, but he was definitely saying that it sucks to be among the folks that don't like/aren't enjoying how the band currently sounds.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #5923
    BringBackButchT

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    he plays good rock and roll... uh... music.
    is this an episode of good posts?
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #5924
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I miss the violin sound a lot, and do not think the band sounds better without it. However, I don't miss Boyd. Quite frankly, he sucked for a lot of years. The band would have their best sound since 2000 if they got a real professional violinist.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #5925
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Oh shoot I completely misread that... I had this mindset that he disliked the changes or something. Whoops. Ignore me. I agree 100%.
    Old 07-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #5926
    dewke

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yes yes and yes... a few years ago, I thought "is it possible the best Boyd sounded was on live tracks from Red Rocks (95)"... but it became evident that was the case.. go back and listen to Red Rocks, his tone , his phrasing, everything was just beautiful.

The difference (after hearing Dave's comments of course) it seems is that the rest of the band continued to improve both on their own (practicing to get better), and their commitment to the band... now it seems that slow (sad) decline you refer too was all too evident in retrospect.

Of course in Boyd's defense, I can't discount the impact Lerois death and let's face it being pushed out of the band audibly once Tim came back had on his wanting to commit, but one wonders if he had put in the effort to overcome those obstacles, if things would be different.

Also, who knows what effects smoking so much weed so often had on him, also his hand issues... it could all have just been a perfect storm...
    I think it's pretty clear from the recent interviews that Tim was turned up because Boyd had checked out. Dave didn't say it, but I felt it was implied and certainly makes sense given what I've seen in the shows I've attended.
    Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #5927
    bfiddle27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dewke View Post
    I think it's pretty clear from the recent interviews that Tim was turned up because Boyd had checked out. Dave didn't say it, but I felt it was implied and certainly makes sense given what I've seen in the shows I've attended.
    ah good point.... Turn tim up to make up for turning Boyd down who was playing awful.

I wish Boyd well... I know his solo career was a disaster but hopefully he gets through this harrasment stuff and keeps going with his career, and hopefully he was super smart with all that money and has more than enough for a lifetime so he can just relax and recover.
    Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #5928
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    ah good point.... Turn tim up to make up for turning Boyd down who was playing awful.

I wish Boyd well... I know his solo career was a disaster but hopefully he gets through this harrasment stuff and keeps going with his career, and hopefully he was super smart with all that money and has more than enough for a lifetime so he can just relax and recover.
    boyd now has a lot of time on his hands....to see his face in the mirror. to see his true reflection...
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #5929
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BringBackButchT View Post
    is this an episode of good posts?
    I believe it is.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #5930
    Stach23
    Stach 23

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Here's one thing nobody's mentioned (at least I haven't seen mentioned)...

Who's probably the most popular violin player right now? Lindsey Stirling. She's on tour with Evanescence right now, so they can't bring her on. YET.

A WOMAN in DMB? It might just be the change they're after.

(and I know that I posted this on one of the interview threads as well, but it won't let me delete it)

Last edited by Stach23; 07-18-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Can't delete previous post.
    Stach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #5931
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stach23 View Post

Who's probably the most popular violin player right now? Lindsey Stirling...
    Searching "Stirling" just on this thread comes up with 10 unique posts (besides yours)
    Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #5932
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

So did Dave just confirm, more or less, they knew BT was leaving and not going to be at the Super Bowl show?
    Sounds that way to me when he says, BT took his advice and walked away to take care of himself.
    That of course would contradict what they have said all along about not knowing or having any idea it was coming
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #5933
    dmbalpine

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    So did Dave just confirm, more or less, they knew BT was leaving and not going to be at the Super Bowl show?
    Sounds that way to me when he says, BT took his advice and walked away to take care of himself.
    That of course would contradict what they have said all along about not knowing or having any idea it was coming
    Not necessarily. Was there any timeframe referenced for when he said this?
    dmbalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #5934
    kbail1230
    Carry that weight

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbalpine View Post
    Not necessarily. Was there any timeframe referenced for when he said this?
    One would have to assume it was right before BT tweets he’s taking a break.
    Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #5935
    yanks7533

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Why do people say stuff like this? You've never seen everyone on stage smiling at a show before? Come on.
    He was making a point about how they seem happier than normal...maybe they've only been to a couple shows... you don't always have to like that
    yanks7533 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #5936
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I mean Dave literally just said in an interview that this is the most joy theyve had on stage in a decade. So theres weight behind those comments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #5937
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, I'm sure. The burden of knowingly harboring a perv has to weigh on someone a lot.
    Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #5938
    bfiddle27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stach23 View Post

Who's probably the most popular violin player right now? Lindsey Stirling. She's on tour with Evanescence right now, so they can't bring her on. YET.

A WOMAN in DMB? It might just be the change they're after.

(and I know that I posted this on one of the interview threads as well, but it won't let me delete it)
    I'm fine with a female fiddle player but not Lindsey, sorry IF DMB goes back to violin (and I seriously doubt they will), they would never have someone who was a youtube star and such... don't get me wrong, super talented, but DMB tends to go for professional life long musicians that no one in main stream music has necessarily heard of (such as Butch, Buddy strong, etc).

I also don't think Lindsay has the feel that DMB needs. Just one fiddle players opinion.

Last edited by bfiddle27; 07-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #5939
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm fine with a female fiddle player but not Lindsey, sorry IF DMB goes back to violin (and I seriously doubt they will), they would never have someone who was a youtube star and such... don't get me wrong, super talented, but DMB tends to go for professional life long musicians that no one in main stream music has necessarily heard of (such as Butch, Buddy strong, etc).

I also don't think Lindsay has the feel that DMB needs. Just one fiddle players opinion.
    Hey how long have you been playing? Also, would you venture a guess on who's known in the industry but most haven't heard of?
    seanbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #5940
    bfiddle27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I mean, I'm sure. The burden of knowingly harboring a perv has to weigh on someone a lot.
    do you think the band (not the label or record company as some are saying), actually knew how Boyd [allegedly] behaved towards guys and ignored it?

I'm torn, I don't think we will ever actually know...