Stephen King: A Constant Reader's Thread - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #121
Beebz
Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Stephen King: A Constant Reader's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
There are a lot of gory parts, but those parts get really spread out after the dome is established. It definitely fleshes out a detailed story, as it's much more about the devolution of the community than it is about murder and mayhem (though there certainly is murder and mayhem involved in said devolution).

I just finished it last night. Took me around 2 weeks.
I just destroyed Under The Done over the last four days. I havent read a book that fast in years. Im usually a non-fiction, Dennis Lehane, George Peleconos guy, but I picked this up from the library on a whim and was instantly hooked.

Its amazing how few supernatural elements there are in the book, and that the horror comes from the way human being interact in a crisis. I also very much enjoyed what the people compared the "dome makers" too. We've all done that at one point just to see what happens. Its interesting--and terrifying--wondering what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot.
Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #122
    bannar7

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sully51 View Post
    I'm currently lost in the Dark Tower series. It's consuming all of my time, but lucky for me it is the beginning of the semester.

Can't believe no one suggested it to me before. Waiting on books 5&7 from Amazon as those are the only two I can't find at Half Price
    Ive been reading #2 for like two years

I loved the first one
    bannar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #123
    JacobLovesYou
    still here

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

just finished Insomnia a few days ago. great book! thinking about starting the dark tower now, but i'm not sure.

from the dark side we can see a glow of something bright
    JacobLovesYou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #124
    thechad90000
    You're Goddamn Right

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    I just destroyed Under The Done over the last four days. I havent read a book that fast in years. Im usually a non-fiction, Dennis Lehane, George Peleconos guy, but I picked this up from the library on a whim and was instantly hooked.

Its amazing how few supernatural elements there are in the book, and that the horror comes from the way human being interact in a crisis. I also very much enjoyed what the people compared the "dome makers" too. We've all done that at one point just to see what happens. Its interesting--and terrifying--wondering what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot.
    I powered through the book like you in just a dew days. I got it fir Christmas last year and was done before new years.
    "Her one drink had Cecelia giggling and talking and she was explaining that animals had souls too. Nobody challenged her opinion. It was possible, we knew. What we weren't sure of was if we had any. - Charles Bukowski
    thechad90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #125
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

May 17, 2013.
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #126
    tankdan

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

???

Working on Dark Tower, love it. "Wolves of the Calla" now.

Dan
    tankdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #127
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tankdan View Post
    ???

Working on Dark Tower, love it. "Wolves of the Calla" now.

Dan

Date of the first Dark Tower film.

Wolves of the Callas is good. Song of Susanna is pretty awful. Read it as fast as you can so you can get to The Dark Tower, which is fucking magnificent.
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #128
    tankdan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Date of the first Dark Tower film.

Wolves of the Callas is good. Song of Susanna is pretty awful. Read it as fast as you can so you can get to The Dark Tower, which is fucking magnificent.
    Oh, awesome! Can't say I've cared for any of the Stephen King movies (except Shawshank, of course), I love the books so friggin much.

"Wizard and Glass" has been my favorite so far, Roland's backstory is wonderfully interesting. I've been starting to page through the comic books, too, just to get an additional taste of young Roland.

Dan
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #129
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Okay for all you Dark Tower lovers.... just a bit ago I finally finished dl'ing the whole audio book series. And I look at the torrent, and it says it's the Gunslinger "revised edition", whereas the rest is simply labeled as book 2 thru 7.

Does this sound right to you guys? Were there 2 different editions of the Gunslinger put out?

and for the record, this is the unabridged version. I don't listen to an audio book if it's not the true, full version.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #130
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tankdan View Post
    Oh, awesome! Can't say I've cared for any of the Stephen King movies (except Shawshank, of course), I love the books so friggin much.

"Wizard and Glass" has been my favorite so far, Roland's backstory is wonderfully interesting. I've been starting to page through the comic books, too, just to get an additional taste of young Roland.

Dan

If you love Wizard and Glass, you'll love this news. King is writing another Dark Tower book that takes place after, but in the same era as, Wizard and Glass.

It's fucking painful just thinking about waiting for it.
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #131
    tankdan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    Okay for all you Dark Tower lovers.... just a bit ago I finally finished dl'ing the whole audio book series. And I look at the torrent, and it says it's the Gunslinger "revised edition", whereas the rest is simply labeled as book 2 thru 7.

Does this sound right to you guys? Were there 2 different editions of the Gunslinger put out?

and for the record, this is the unabridged version. I don't listen to an audio book if it's not the true, full version.
    In the introductions of my first 4 books, he talks about how he went back and revised a little bit to smooth things out. I've only read this "revised" edition, but I don't imagine it is as dramatic as re-releasing "The Stand."

Quote:
    If you love Wizard and Glass, you'll love this news. King is writing another Dark Tower book that takes place after, but in the same era as, Wizard and Glass.

It's fucking painful just thinking about waiting for it.
    NICE! Yeah, I've been buying the comic books these last few years but haven't read any of them, but now that I'm done with Wizard and Glass I am loving all the young Gunslinger stuff. Don't get me wrong, it's fun reading about the current times and wastelands and Dark Tower, but it's a little bit more interesting to read about the time of Gunslingers and the battle with the Good Man.

Dan
    Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #132
    sully51
    Hook 'Em

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post

The Gunslinger was revised to fit the rest of the series after he finished it.. Just small things to make it more coherent (language and some of Rolands history I believe). If you bought a copy of the book in the past 10 years it is most likely the revised edition

It's explained in the new Forward
    Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #133
    Zapo
    MM #69

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

just finished my journey to the dark tower. I loved every second of it. Took me one full semester. I liked how it ended. Its going to be weird to not read of Roland and the gang anymore.
    Zapo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #134
    JacobLovesYou
    still here

My Tour Central Stats

i'm going to start reading the dark tower sometime soon. i just can never get past the first 50 or so pages of gunslinger. right now i'm about 50 pages in on '1922' in Full Dark, No Stars

Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #135
    tankdan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapo View Post
    just finished my journey to the dark tower. I loved every second of it. Took me one full semester. I liked how it ended. Its going to be weird to not read of Roland and the gang anymore.
    Same exact thing I came here to post, started Black House in September then jumped into the Dark Tower books. Just finished! Great journey, sad it's over.

Dan
    Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #136
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Have you heard?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_W...gh_the_Keyhole
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #137
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post

I posted about it about 7 posts up, but I certainly didn't know it had a title already. That is freaking awesome!

edit: Wait, according to that article, an online vote decided that he would do a sequel to The Shining before doing the Dark Tower book. FUCK that and fuck everyone who voted for The Shining sequel.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 01-04-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #138
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

So, liked the TV adaption of The Stand but always thought maybe it could've been done better? well....

Quote:
    Stephen King's grand opus The Stand is finally getting the big-screen treatment.

Warner Bros. and CBS Films are teaming to adapt the novel, which in many ways set the bar for a generation of post-apocalyptic stories and influenced works ranging from TV's Lost to music group Anthrax.
    Mosaic and Roy Lee are producing.

The companies will co-develop and co-produce the feature film, with CBS having the option to participate in co-financing. Warners will handle worldwide marketing and distribution.

The studios and producers will sit down with writers and directors in the coming weeks in an attempt to find the right take on the material. One thing to be determined is whether to attempt the adaptation in one or multiple movies. King will be involved in some capacity.

CBS has held the rights for many years but recently realized the best way to undertake the project was with a partner. Warners beat out Fox and Sony in a tight bidding war for the gig, getting its hands on one of the biggest-selling books of all time.

CBS, meanwhile, gets a chance to be involved in an ambitious big-budget tentpole with little downside. The company just released its fourth movie, The Mechanic, which performed better than expected this weekend with an opening of $11.4 million.

The Stand is a story of good vs. evil after a virus wipes out most of the American population. While it features dozens of characters (such as the Trashcan Man and Mother Abigail) and overlapping story lines running over many years, the struggle boils down to a group of survivors fighting the Antichrist-like Randall Flagg.

The novel was originally published in 1978, but by the time it was rereleased in 1990 with King adding and revising portions of the story, it had achieved cult-like status.

George Romero and Warners separately tried in vain to launch a movie adaptation in the 1980s, and a tone-downed version was produced as a six-hour miniseries by ABC in 1994. In recent years, Marvel Comics has been adapting the story to great acclaim.

King's stories made for popular Hollywood adaptations in the 1980s and '90s, but that love seemed to lose steam in the past decade. But with Universal mounting an ambitious take on The Dark Tower, and now The Stand, King may be getting ready to return to the throne as the novelist the town loves the most.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blo...ding-big-94805

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #139
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

If they do one movie, it will suck ass. They had to cut some things (an entire character, for one) out of the 6 hour mini-series. I don't see how they could possibly tell this tale properly in 2-3 hours. Not sure if several movies would work either, as I'm not sure how they'd focus the story into 3 distinct movies.

An HBO or Showtime mini-series would be ideal.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 02-01-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #140
    JacobLovesYou
    still here

My Tour Central Stats

i read the mist over the last two days i was waiting for the shining to be delivered to my house. thankfully, it arrived today before snowmageddon hit so i'll be able to read the shining for the first time while i'm snowed in

Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #141
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Just started to read The Gunslinger for the first time
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #142
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JacobLovesYou View Post
    i read the mist over the last two days i was waiting for the shining to be delivered to my house. thankfully, it arrived today before snowmageddon hit so i'll be able to read the shining for the first time while i'm snowed in
    I love that book

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nieds05 View Post

Ive tried numerous times and cant get into it
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #143
    JacobLovesYou
    still here

My Tour Central Stats

first time reading the shining, i'm about 300 pages in.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #144
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Reading Cell right now. It's pretty cool, as it's pretty much a zombie story.
    Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #145
    JaJunk

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

So the Dark Tower series isn't finished? Incredible news if so. Lots of people (not me) thought the ending was lazy.
    JaJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #146
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nieds05 View Post

An excellent ride, loved every minute of it aside from some slow down in Song of Susannah (Book 6) and the very ending which left me indifferent.

Books II (The Drawing of the Three) and III (The Wastelands) are my favourites.
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #147
    tosssweep
    Let's go Twins!

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaJunk View Post
    So the Dark Tower series isn't finished? Incredible news if so. Lots of people (not me) thought the ending was lazy.
    I think the idea for "The Wind Through The Keyhole" is probably akin to the Little Sisters of Eluria short story. The overall tale is finished. I also did not find the ending lazy, it was incredibly fitting.
    Minnesote Twins Fan Club Member #9
    tosssweep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #148
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Reading Cell right now. It's pretty cool, as it's pretty much a zombie story.
    I read that when it first came out, just like Under The Dome - an incredibly quick read.

When the attacks first started happened I was like
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #149
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaJunk View Post
    The new Dark Tower book will take place after the 4th one, but in that same time period. So it's part 4a if you will, not part 8.
    The 4th was my favorite so I'm incredibly excited that he's revisiting that period.

I think the ending to the series was perfect.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 02-08-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #150
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

My Tour Central Stats

Eyes of the Dragon is a super-underrated Stephen King book. Not a horror story per se, but just a great story, period.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    books , dark tower , horror , novels , shawshank , stephen king