Why Cornbread Is Lyrically Better Than Dreaming Tree - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #31
efraser77
026 | Grux Abides

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Why Cornbread Is Lyrically Better Than Dreaming Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK86 View Post
So you think that all pieces of music have the same intention and should be evaluated under identical premises?
No. But we are talking about evaluating lyrics, not a song's purpose.

Let's stop talking about Corn Bread for a minute and focus on SMLAM. Dave has said it's got throwaway lyrics but is just supposed to get your ass shaking. In that purpose, it works great. But that does not in any way make its lyrics better than Dreaming Tree's.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #32
    MGH4007
    dim5

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

lyrically and musically, corn bread is a pathetic knock off hillbilly music.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #33
    mattyszow
    MattsMarching #43

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

i respectfully disagree. compliments on a well thought out argument tho.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
    ShakingMonkey
    Snake in the woodpile.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

You are so right.

The problem is, there is a massive chunk of people who can't and won't view the music the way you just did.

And to all you people who think "progress takes away what forever took to find" is the best line in Dave's repertoire: please stop elevating it so high. It's a great line by itself, but in the grand scheme of Dreaming Tree it's like one great line thrown into a mediocre pile of words that have a very cool, new-agey feel to them at best. I love the song a lot, I just apparently don't see the benefit in placing Dreaming Tree on a lyrical pedestal.

I'm not bashing Dreaming Tree, honestly. It's just foolish to overrate anything IMO. It makes everything else appear a lot worse. Why not just realistically evaluate each song according to what it was trying to accomplish? That way you give everything a clean chance.

Last edited by ShakingMonkey; 06-22-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    ShakingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
    farqy
    Monkey see, monkey do

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Both Dreaming Tree and Cornbread are good for different reasons, and can't really be compared. But it's an interesting take if they were to be compared.
    farqy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #36
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShakingMonkey View Post
    You are so right.

The problem is, there is a massive chunk of people who can't and won't view the music the way you or I would.

And to all you people who think "progress takes away what forever took to find" is the best line in Dave's repertoire: please stop elevating it so high. It's a great line by itself, but in the grand scheme of Dreaming Tree it's like one great line thrown into a mediocre pile of words that have a very cool, new-agey feel to them at best. I love the song a lot, I just apparently don't see the benefit in placing Dreaming Tree on a lyrical pedestal.

I'm not bashing Dreaming Tree, honestly. It's just foolish to overrate anything IMO. It makes everything else appear a lot worse. Why not just realistically evaluate each song according to what it was trying to accomplish? That way you give everything a clean chance.
    I'll Take Random Everyday reference for 1200 Alex
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #37
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brew10 View Post
    I respect your opinion, however I feel you could not be further from the truth. The Dreaming Tree is one of the most amazing songs lyrically, musically, emotionally, and spiritually that has ever been written. By any recording artist. I say this as a person who likes to hear the song Cornbread at a show (not every show mind you. It is wayyyyy to overplayed). I think some of Cornbreads lyrics have been good. (It's all inside your soul you're beautiful, all the innocence that you inspire is a good line) but recently the song is just about eatin' pussy and getting your dick sucked. Which is fine. I love Rapunzel.

You're right. Cornbread is a "barnburning, bitchslapping jubilee" however that doesn't make it a better song than TDT in any way shape or form. If you think Cornbread's lyrics are better than the dreaming tree, but feel that neither represent DMB at their best, I would like to ask what you feel is DMB at their lyrical best. And musical best just for fun.
    IMO, Spoon, Bartender and Warehouse are lyrically DMB´s best. Musically, these aforementioned are amongst the best, but I´d also like to add Seek Up, Proudest Monkey, The Last Stop and DDTW to the list. Hell, even Nancies and jimi Thing could be mentioned. Damn, there´s too many...
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #38
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Your logic detracts points from DT because rhymes are obvious, repetitive, and easy/clumsy. Yet you fail to recognize that CB is basically one verse "Dance with the devil round a fire..." repeated several times, "all inside your head" and the infamous "all I wanna do..." line repeated ad nauseum.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
    Snapple2788
    Smile

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Cornbread brings mad Enhergieeezzzzzzzz, while Dreaming Tree I can get the same feeling listening to it in my car as hearing it live. Therefore Cornbread gets the live go ahead for me. Not that this really pertained to exactly what the OP said I think it has some value. Regardless, good post OP.
    Yea, neither do I
    Snapple2788 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #40
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are so right.

The problem is, there is a massive chunk of people who can't and won't view the music the way you or I would.

First, don't say "can't or won't". It's not that I'm refusing to see things how the OP does. I just don't.

Second, that line is the best line in a song full of great lines. Don't know what you're talking about with this mediocre pile of words stuff.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #41
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are so right.

The problem is, there is a massive chunk of people who can't and won't view the music the way you just did.

Did you just agree with me? My mind is blown.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #42
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
    No. But we are talking about evaluating lyrics, not a song's purpose.

Let's stop talking about Corn Bread for a minute and focus on SMLAM. Dave has said it's got throwaway lyrics but is just supposed to get your ass shaking. In that purpose, it works great. But that does not in any way make its lyrics better than Dreaming Tree's.
    How are they not connected?
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #43
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's just foolish to overrate anything IMO. It makes everything else appear a lot worse.
    The blindness to irony here is hilarious. The reason that you think cornbread is anywhere in the same breath as dreaming tree is because you are vastly overrating it.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #44
    ShakingMonkey
    Snake in the woodpile.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are so right.

The funny thing about that is I noticed it as I typed it. Silly me
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #45
    TheStone52
    Love this band!!

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Corn Bread is sweet ass but the Dreaming Tree is top 5 lyrically for me

TheStone52 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #46
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    Your logic detracts points from DT because rhymes are obvious, repetitive, and easy/clumsy. Yet you fail to recognize that CB is basically one verse "Dance with the devil round a fire..." repeated several times, "all inside your head" and the infamous "all I wanna do..." line repeated ad nauseum.
    Repeating lines and repeating rhymes is not the same thing. However, if you read my post more carefully, I actually wasn´t accusing DT´s lyrics of that. My point was quite different.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #47
    songthatCAlikes

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

i wanted so much to flame you after reading the thread title, but after reading your rationale, i think somewhere among that you made a decent point. I disagree, DT as a whole is better, but your idea of judging a song based on its intent has some merit for choosing cornbread.
    songthatCAlikes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #48
    CuppingTheSky

My Tour Central Stats

The entire post by the OP is a complete abortion of vomited bullshit that would only ever have the air of education and distinction to someone entirely uneducated in the field.
    CuppingTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #49
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

OP... you really should have taken this debate into an english/music theory class, it would have been interesting to watch/listen to... instead you took it into Ants where the Big 3/4/5 rule all and putting a song from one of them against a song that Batson helped create is kind of like the equivalent of watching the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I feel for you. You seem to have strong opinions for the most part and it was an interesting read. I really personally enjoy Dreaming Tree more but to each their own.

I will say this, I think most people like DT more then CB becuase of one reason, CB was written from the perspective of a 16-18 year old who is getting/giving oral sex in random places like 16-18 year olds do. DT was written about a person searching through his life and looking back at what he lost. Since most of us are always searching back and not thinking about the time we got head in a shed the song hits closer to home for most. Musically, the songs are way to different to compare one is slow and the other is fast both strike way different emotions.

On a side note, don't let MistreatedLewis get to you and make you write a thesis comparing two Dave songs.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #50
    PhishSticks40
    Sharpen them with lies.

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I stopped reading after I read the thread title...

PhishSticks40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #51
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How are they not connected?
    I just illustrated how, with SMLAM. Horribly cheesy lyrics, "throwaway lyrics" in the words of the man who penned them. But it succeeds in getting asses moving. Not sure how much more clearly I can make my argument.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #52
    ShakingMonkey
    Snake in the woodpile.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    The blindness to irony here is hilarious. The reason that you think cornbread is anywhere in the same breath as dreaming tree is because you are vastly overrating it.
    Notice I didn't say anything about Cornbread in my original post though. I actually don't think it's an AWESOME song lyrically. It just don't think Dreaming Tree is particularly as awesome as it's often made out to be.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #53
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Number85 View Post
    Very good post, OP, and I appreciate where you are coming from. But I just can't agree.
    Appreciate what he's doing here is a good way of putting it. I don't agree with the OP, but I do definitly like the way he laid it all out.

Quote:
    You are the John McClane of teh Interwebz, cuz you killed it just now.
    Bafugama is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #54
    pats4life2003
    Big Gulps Huh?

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

good layout

terrible opinion
    pats4life2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #55
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Repeating lines and repeating rhymes is not the same thing. However, if you read my post more carefully, I actually wasn´t accusing DT´s lyrics of that. My point was quite different.
    Oh, I read the post quite carefully. And I fully understood your point. As a sidenote, I have no idea what is accomplished by pointing out that repeating lines and repeating rhymes are not the same thing, especially coming from someone whose argument holds that CB is better lyrically. Which is worse, repeating a word at the end of a line that rhymes it with other lines (part of your argument about dreaming tree), or repeating entire lines/stanzas/verses (CB)?
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #56
    vikes989

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CuppingTheSky View Post
    The entire post by the OP is a complete abortion of vomited bullshit that would only ever have the air of education and distinction to someone entirely uneducated in the field.
    sweet first post, brah
    vikes989 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #57
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bafugama View Post
    Appreciate what he's doing here is a good way of putting it. I don't agree with the OP, but I do definitly like the way he laid it all out.
    He laid it out OK, but where I think it falters is that he keeps stressing that it's better *lyrically*. If you feel Cornbread as a whole is "better" because it has succeeded to a higher degree in its purpose, I'll disagree but respect the opinion. But looking just at lyrics, I don't know how one can possibly say Cornbread has better ones.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #58
    Trendall

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

So, to summarise your post after skimming through, The Dreaming Tree is an epic piece of music, but the lyrics aren't as epic as the music. Cornbread's music is shit, and the lyrics are equally as shit. Because Cornbread's lyrics match up to the music in terms of quality more, Cornbread has better lyrics.

Really?
    Trendall is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #59
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just illustrated how, with SMLAM. Horribly cheesy lyrics, "throwaway lyrics" in the words of the man who penned them. But it succeeds in getting asses moving. Not sure how much more clearly I can make my argument.
    What? You just proved MY argument! We´re clearly not talking the same language right now...I mean the intent was to get ass shaking, it does, even you agree. That is exactly what I was talking about. Unless you think that the lyrics do not contribute to the ass shaking, I don´t get what you are saying.
    Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #60
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendall View Post
    So, to summarise your post after skimming through, The Dreaming Tree is an epic piece of music, but the lyrics aren't as epic as the music. Cornbread's music is shit, and the lyrics are equally as shit. Because Cornbread's lyrics match up to the music in terms of quality more, Cornbread has better lyrics.

Really?
    No. Cornbread´s music is far from shit.