*** Official Virginia Beach 2018 Thread *** - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #121
chris1474

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Official Virginia Beach 2018 Thread ***

I’m on the back rail, almost center but closer to Buddy’s side. This poster is sick!
chris1474 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #122
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Did they open the gates late? The entry lines are literally a 800 people deep each

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #123
    mp3ray
    Always having fun!

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeanMH View Post
    Did they open the gates late? The entry lines are literally a 800 people deep each
    Not sure, I went in the warehouse gate

mp3ray is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #124
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Six shows fourth Bayou...fuck Bayou.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #125
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

And tSB can eat a bag of dicks. Dave didn’t look at the Bristow set at all...so many repeats for the second VA show. He sounds awesome though. The best sound of the tour for us so far (Bristow, Mans, Hartford, SPAC2SPAC).
    Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #126
    dogmom0806

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Never thought I would get close to the rail, even though I got pit tix for the first time ever. Although I had an amazing time at the show and can check it off my bucket list, I was shocked at the nasty people around me who “numbered” themselves and made horrific comments about some of us that got on the rail who didn’t have a self made up number. I get y’all waited much longer than some of us, but the offensive remarks were unreal.....and not OUR fault that the venue or staff let pit ticket holders get near the rail. Super disappointed in some fellow DMB fans. Even funnier from selfish assholes that have been in the pit multiple times, met Dave before, got sticks from Carter before.....shall I go on? Luckily I bit my tongue and made the best of it!
    dogmom0806 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #127
    nerrfhearder

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dogmom0806 View Post
    Never thought I would get close to the rail, even though I got pit tix for the first time ever. Although I had an amazing time at the show and can check it off my bucket list, I was shocked at the nasty people around me who “numbered” themselves and made horrific comments about some of us that got on the rail who didn’t have a self made up number. I get y’all waited much longer than some of us, but the offensive remarks were unreal.....and not OUR fault that the venue or staff let pit ticket holders get near the rail. Super disappointed in some fellow DMB fans. Even funnier from selfish assholes that have been in the pit multiple times, met Dave before, got sticks from Carter before.....shall I go on? Luckily I bit my tongue and made the best of it!
    I made it in the pit twice this year at Darien and Syracuse, I know exactly who you are talking about. Was lucky enough to find some great friends this year that all stood fast against the pit hogs. Some people have too much money and not enough to do I guess. Hope you got to enjoy the show though.
    nerrfhearder is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #128
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Spent the past week trying to get another pair close to the ones we had so we could make up Bristow to our boys. Didn’t have any luck. We had Section 205, Row F, Seats 1 & 2. Guess which seats were empty tonight?

I was checking Ants, the WH, and cashortrade, but no one was selling anything close. Yet the seats were freaking empty!

So that put a slight damper on my enjoyment of the show...that and too many repeats of songs from the Bristow (eight in total) show as well as three repeats from last night...but not The Stone, Proudest Monkey, or Dancing Nancies.

This is the danger of seeing multiple shows on a tour. For all of the effort we hear goes into set lists, this one is a bit of a ball drop. What’s worse is comparing it to Friday’s set list. That show was devastatingly good.

Apologies for being negative. The band did sound amazing...the best of the six shows we saw this tour. Dave’s voice was loud and clear and the fans were never louder than the band (SPAC has an issue w/ this). Can’t wait until next summer. Might cherry pick the shows though...or do less DMB and see more shows from other bands.

Enjoy the rest of your shows this summer.
    Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 PM   #129
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dogmom0806 View Post
    Yeah, there’s definitely a sense of entitlement that’s developed in the pit...and that’s just from reading about. My interest in it is minimal as I need to be able to sit for a bit (my knees are at least twice my age). But it doesn’t sound like a fun or friendly group.
    Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #130
    chris1474

My Tour Central Stats

Tell me someone has a video of Jimi Thing and Watchtower. I didn’t see any tapers tonight.
    Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #131
    mrussel1

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I recorded about 8 songs with my Lumix, including Watchtower. Didn't do Jimi because I wanted to enjoy it more. I'll probably wait until someone releases the audio, but I didn't see any rigs behind us in the pit, so I'm a bit concerned if there were tapers there.

I thought Jimi was the highlight of the night.
    mrussel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 PM   #132
    chris1474

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrussel1 View Post
    I recorded about 8 songs with my Lumix, including Watchtower. Didn't do Jimi because I wanted to enjoy it more. I'll probably wait until someone releases the audio, but I didn't see any rigs behind us in the pit, so I'm a bit concerned if there were tapers there.

I thought Jimi was the highlight of the night.

I’d be interested in seeing what you have for Watchtower if you’re willing. Jimi was killer for sure but I swear Tim played half the solo from Stairway to Heaven during Watchtower and I’m dying to know if I actually heard that or if I was dreaming.

(So I looked it up and see that they’ve done this before. I didn’t know that was a thing.)
    Old 07-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #133
    DC Greg

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Such a disappointing set. So many repeats from Bristow. Played all of their most commonly played songs. JTR, Raven, Pig, Rhyme and Reason, Lover Lay Down, Stone, and other amazing rare songs are all getting plays recently, and Dave leaves it all on the shelf for the 10,000th Cornbread, Jimi, and You and Me. This band is not worth traveling to see multiple shows anymore.

I don’t think the band “sounds great” this year like I hear constantly. I mean they aren’t buzzing notes all over the place or playing out of tune or anything if that’s what you mean, but I think one should be able to expect that for what they charge for tickets. After 3 shows this year, here are common trends that I’m hearing in the sound of 2018 DMB:

- Rashawn has pushed the saxophone out of this band. Every song now features a trumpet solo instead of a sax solo where there’s a spot for it. On the rare occasion Jeff does play, Rashawn comes in over him within a few seconds. Rashawn fucking sucks and somehow Dave is cool with giving the direction of this band over to him. Fuck his trumpet. He can play incredibly well when he wants to, but he’s too addicted to the rubes who yell every time they hear a loud noise. Your blaring sucks, Rashawn.

- You can barely hear Buddy, and when you can his playing is not good IMO. Can this guy ever hold a freaking note? Listen to Cornbread from last night if you dare. Buddy hits the same 3 notes for about 8 minutes. So uncreative and uninspired. It’s just frantic tapping on the organ but never deep, sustained piano. Butch was so much better. Buddy is a great singer though, but you can only hear him on Stay. DMB backup vocals are a joke. Do you think Rashawn knows that no one can hear him when he sings? Why do they even bother?

- They play the same jams over and over. There’s no exploration on stage and no playing off each other creatively the way there used to be with Roi and Boyd. Tim does some neat stuff every now and then, but most of it is the same canned crap every night.

- Most of the show is just a loudness contest. Obviously this has been happening for years, but it’s in overdrive now. The bass drum kick is turned up so freaking loud. I think this band just wants to be a party band now and doesn’t care too much about actual musicianship. They’d rather just play to the people who came to get drunk and just want to hear some bass and a loud blaring trumpet crescendo on every song than what actually made them popular in the first place.

I had fun seeing lots of friends and meeting some great people in 2018, but I’m pretty good at this point. If they get a violin next year I might catch a show. Otherwise I’ll just put on red rocks 95 and remember when the band actually “sounded great”.
    DC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #134
    warrior56
    I'm GOOD

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DC Greg View Post
    Such a disappointing set. So many repeats from Bristow. Played all of their most commonly played songs. JTR, Raven, Pig, Rhyme and Reason, Lover Lay Down, Stone, and other amazing rare songs are all getting plays recently, and Dave leaves it all on the shelf for the 10,000th Cornbread, Jimi, and You and Me. This band is not worth traveling to see multiple shows anymore.

I don’t think the band “sounds great” this year like I hear constantly. I mean they aren’t buzzing notes all over the place or playing out of tune or anything if that’s what you mean, but I think one should be able to expect that for what they charge for tickets. After 3 shows this year, here are common trends that I’m hearing in the sound of 2018 DMB:

- Rashawn has pushed the saxophone out of this band. Every song now features a trumpet solo instead of a sax solo where there’s a spot for it. On the rare occasion Jeff does play, Rashawn comes in over him within a few seconds. Rashawn fucking sucks and somehow Dave is cool with giving the direction of this band over to him. Fuck his trumpet. He can play incredibly well when he wants to, but he’s too addicted to the rubes who yell every time they hear a loud noise. Your blaring sucks, Rashawn.

- You can barely hear Buddy, and when you can his playing is not good IMO. Can this guy ever hold a freaking note? Listen to Cornbread from last night if you dare. Buddy hits the same 3 notes for about 8 minutes. So uncreative and uninspired. It’s just frantic tapping on the organ but never deep, sustained piano. Butch was so much better. Buddy is a great singer though, but you can only hear him on Stay. DMB backup vocals are a joke. Do you think Rashawn knows that no one can hear him when he sings? Why do they even bother?

- They play the same jams over and over. There’s no exploration on stage and no playing off each other creatively the way there used to be with Roi and Boyd. Tim does some neat stuff every now and then, but most of it is the same canned crap every night.

- Most of the show is just a loudness contest. Obviously this has been happening for years, but it’s in overdrive now. The bass drum kick is turned up so freaking loud. I think this band just wants to be a party band now and doesn’t care too much about actual musicianship. They’d rather just play to the people who came to get drunk and just want to hear some bass and a loud blaring trumpet crescendo on every song than what actually made them popular in the first place.

I had fun seeing lots of friends and meeting some great people in 2018, but I’m pretty good at this point. If they get a violin next year I might catch a show. Otherwise I’ll just put on red rocks 95 and remember when the band actually “sounded great”.
    Whats the real purpose behind this post- you write as if the band has personally done wrong towards you. How can you compare the 95 tour to the 2018 tour- thats insane. The band was <4 years old and every night of those early years was groundbreaking in their history. We are literally 23 years after and the band still can get on stage, play for 3 hours, and inspire us! You have to appreciate that, Carter being 60+ years old still awes us on that stage, night after night.

In my opinion, youre not being realistic and youre not appreciating where the band currently is. Also, 99.99999% of the peoppe I talk to- including band members- agree that this is their best tour in many years. If you cant appreciate that my friend, I highly suggest you stop coming.
    warrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 04:16 AM   #135
    DC Greg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by warrior56 View Post
    Whats the real purpose behind this post- you write as if the band has personally done wrong towards you. How can you compare the 95 tour to the 2018 tour- thats insane. The band was <4 years old and every night of those early years was groundbreaking in their history. We are literally 23 years after and the band still can get on stage, play for 3 hours, and inspire us! You have to appreciate that, Carter being 60+ years old still awes us on that stage, night after night.

In my opinion, youre not being realistic and youre not appreciating where the band currently is. Also, 99.99999% of the peoppe I talk to- including band members- agree that this is their best tour in many years. If you cant appreciate that my friend, I highly suggest you stop coming.
    Can I see the crosstabs on that poll? Seems a little suspect. The purpose of my post is to share my personal opinions about the way the band sounds and offer specific things that I like or don’t like about it. I post on here a lot about all the great stuff I love about this band, as well. But some of it stinks, and I’m not going to be guilted into not offering an honest opinion when I feel that way. I’d welcome debate on the specific points I made, but I don’t think that’s what you’re really interested in having.

I don’t buy the “just be happy we get anything” line. They can and often do much better, i.e. Dave busting out some rare tunes recently and actually taking a risk even though they might be rusty. No, I don’t expect them to sound like Red Rocks 95, but they can be better. I’m glad you know band members and get all the special access and all of that, but maybe if the band wasn’t surrounded with “Yes” men and women constantly it might actually be good for them. Just a thought.

And yes, don’t worry... as I said in the last post, I’m good on traveling and spending lots of money to catch a set like last night. All those awesome rare songs out there that have gotten plays recently and Dave drops that garbage on Virginia last night, especially after Bristow? GTFO of here with that shit.
    Old 07-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #136
    warrior56
    I'm GOOD

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can I see the crosstabs on that poll? Seems a little suspect. The purpose of my post is to share my personal opinions about the way the band sounds and offer specific things that I like or don’t like about it. I post on here a lot about all the great stuff I love about this band, as well. But some of it stinks, and I’m not going to be guilted into not offering an honest opinion when I feel that way. I’d welcome debate on the specific points I made, but I don’t think that’s what you’re really interested in having.

I don’t buy the “just be happy we get anything” line. They can and often do much better, i.e. Dave busting out some rare tunes recently and actually taking a risk even though they might be rusty. No, I don’t expect them to sound like Red Rocks 95, but they can be better. I’m glad you know band members and get all the special access and all of that, but maybe if the band wasn’t surrounded with “Yes” men and women constantly it might actually be good for them. Just a thought.

And yes, don’t worry... as I said in the last post, I’m good on traveling and spending lots of money to catch a set like last night. All those awesome rare songs out there that have gotten plays recently and Dave drops that garbage on Virginia last night, especially after Bristow? GTFO of here with that shit.
    Ah, my friend- sinply ask anybody whos been to recent tours, say the last 5 years; this is clearly the most energetic and in-sync version of the band. Some will say it was Boyd- others say its Buddy bringing new life. Either way, the band is iterally lighting it up every night!

To your point- YES it would have been fantastic to get a rare song, like Spac got tons of rare songs last week and even Raleigh got a few. I can see why that would make you feel some type of way- but my point in this whole thing is that DMB is not getting any younger. These 40-50 nights on the road are less than half of what they used to so back in the old days- so again what was once the golden age is not going to be there. As a fan, you have to appreciate their musicianship and artistry- both which have stood the test of time. These guys get on the stage and blaze for 3+ hours and more often than not, they give the fans what they want.

Im not saying you cant have an opinion, you are absolutely entitled to one. But I also feel that you are overlookibg where the band is right now, down two original members and over 27 years of touring; yet, they still blaze night after night!!
    warrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #137
    DC Greg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by warrior56 View Post
    Ah, my friend- sinply ask anybody whos been to recent tours, say the last 5 years; this is clearly the most energetic and in-sync version of the band. Some will say it was Boyd- others say its Buddy bringing new life. Either way, the band is iterally lighting it up every night!

To your point- YES it would have been fantastic to get a rare song, like Spac got tons of rare songs last week and even Raleigh got a few. I can see why that would make you feel some type of way- but my point in this whole thing is that DMB is not getting any younger. These 40-50 nights on the road are less than half of what they used to so back in the old days- so again what was once the golden age is not going to be there. As a fan, you have to appreciate their musicianship and artistry- both which have stood the test of time. These guys get on the stage and blaze for 3+ hours and more often than not, they give the fans what they want.

Im not saying you cant have an opinion, you are absolutely entitled to one. But I also feel that you are overlookibg where the band is right now, down two original members and over 27 years of touring; yet, they still blaze night after night!!
    I’ll blaze to that. Cheers.
    Old 07-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #138
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome show. Love having buddy in this band now.

Really happy to get Come On Come On, OSW, She and #41
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #139
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This band is not worth traveling to see multiple shows anymore.

Agree with you on all this. This is not the band I used to love, and truthfully I only went to a show this year out of habit.

You will get people criticizing you saying "the band looks the happiest they have since Trax" and "everyone was smiling and having a good time, especially Buddy!" but just know there's MANY others who share your views on the current state of the band.
    phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #140
    mrussel1

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris1474 View Post
    I’d be interested in seeing what you have for Watchtower if you’re willing. Jimi was killer for sure but I swear Tim played half the solo from Stairway to Heaven during Watchtower and I’m dying to know if I actually heard that or if I was dreaming.

(So I looked it up and see that they’ve done this before. I didn’t know that was a thing.)
    It was absolutely stairway. IN fact, Dave launched into the "ahhhh ah..." from Plant if you remember.
    mrussel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #141
    chris1474

My Tour Central Stats

Yep, heard that but I was almost at the rail so it was a little muddy.
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #142
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phatpig View Post
    Agree with you on all this. This is not the band I used to love, and truthfully I only went to a show this year out of habit.

You will get people criticizing you saying "the band looks the happiest they have since Trax" and "everyone was smiling and having a good time, especially Buddy!" but just know there's MANY others who share your views on the current state of the band.
    Criticizing seems a stretch. People are going to have different opinions.

For me, it’s my favorite tour since 06.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #143
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Having a different opinion is criticizing?
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #144
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just trying to understand the "the band sounds amazing"/"band sounds best since '94" crowd. The way this lineup plays their signature song Ants Marching sounds like absolute shit. WWYS doesn't sound right, Jane doesn't sound right, on and on. Granted Ants hasn't been the same since Roi died, but at least other tunes like WWYS, Jane, etc sounded right even as recently as 2016.
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #145
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

"But they look so happy"
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #146
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I look happy at work too!!! But, it’s just a mask I put on.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #147
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm just trying to understand the "the band sounds amazing"/"band sounds best since '94" crowd. The way this lineup plays their signature song Ants Marching sounds like absolute shit. WWYS doesn't sound right, Jane doesn't sound right, on and on. Granted Ants hasn't been the same since Roi died, but at least other tunes like WWYS, Jane, etc sounded right even as recently as 2016.

Who has said the best since '94? For years fans have wanted to hear Dave's guitar, Tim to back off, slow down the tempo, all of which they have done while adding Buddy who most people are a fan of and getting rid of Boyd who's skills and commitment dropped off steadily over time. It is your opinion that Ants sounds like "absolute shit", nearly everyone who was at Raleigh pointed it out as a highlight of the show.
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #148
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    "But they look so happy"
    Dave was smiling so much while Rashawn was shitting all over Ants Marching with his squeals
    Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #149
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Who has said the best since '94? For years fans have wanted to hear Dave's guitar, Tim to back off, slow down the tempo, all of which they have done while adding Buddy who most people are a fan of and getting rid of Boyd who's skills and commitment dropped off steadily over time. It is your opinion that Ants sounds like "absolute shit", nearly everyone who was at Raleigh pointed it out as a highlight of the show.
    I enjoyed the show. I enjoyed Ants Marching. But it doesn't sound right, it's like a completely different song. That song and many others need a violin.
    Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #150
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I enjoyed the show. I enjoyed Ants Marching. But it doesn't sound right, it's like a completely different song. That song and many others need a violin.
    A competent violin player would be great