**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 15 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #421
Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnevi9nr View Post
that $330 a pair sounds good for my buget. maybe up to around $400 or so. thanks for your input.
I would also highly recommend Epos ELS3 speakers in your price range. I have a pair of these. I'm currently running them as the rear channels of a 5.1 setup actually, but I did have them as my front two channels in a stereo setup briefly. They have fantastic clarity for that price range. Every professional review I've read of them gushes about them.

Manufacturer's site:
http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products/els3.php

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/104epos/
Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #422
    skaman343
    I love big brother

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have a copy of Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison they would be willing to part with at a decent price? I have At San Quienton and I would really like At Folsom Prison. Thanks.
    skaman343 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #423
    herzag17

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skaman343 View Post
    Anyone have a copy of Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison they would be willing to part with at a decent price? I have At San Quienton and I would really like At Folsom Prison. Thanks.
    i found both of those at a thrift shop for a total of $5 right before a Swell Season show in Detroit. not that i am willing to part, you just reminded me and it made me
    Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #424
    skaman343
    I love big brother

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herzag17 View Post
    i found both of those at a thrift shop for a total of $5 right before a Swell Season show in Detroit. not that i am willing to part, you just reminded me and it made me

Good find. I did see it at a store one time, but I didn't get it. I know I will come across it again, it is just the waiting when I could have bought it that kind of sucks. Oh well, live and learn. I kind of like the hunt for older records that I want. It is so great to come across something in a secondhand or thrift store.
    Old 05-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #425
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I went to my local record store yesterday and I picked up Real Emotional Trash by Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks and also Full Throttle the Blue Meanies. Good stuff
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #426
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

OK So I've already started my collection (with help from my Dad) and have a pretty sizable list of my "first buys" that I've started working through.

But as of now I can only play them at home on my Dad's ONKYO CP-1011F turntable (from God knows what year). It works fine, but the quality isn't the best I'm sure. No pre-amp, and it runs through our stereo system we use for our TV/CD player/etc. Good woofer and the speakers are OK I guess, but it does not sound as good as vinyl should, this I know for sure.

So in short, I need my own set-up.

I was hoping to have one completed by the time I head back to school in the fall, but that's looking to be a tall task.

I have been looking at turntables, and have seen a good amount of praise for the Pro-Ject Debut III and REGA-P1. Both are a bit expensive for my budget but if I could grab a used one somewhere that would be awesome. I also am planning on getting the Epos ELS-3 speakers, as they are small and pack a huge punch (not to mention inexpensive!).

So I have a few questions for bthose who wouldn't mind giving some advice:

-What entry-level pre-amps and amplifiers would you recommend? And WTF does a pre-amp even accomplish?
    -Do I need a subwoofer to go along with my ELS-3 speakers? And if so, which would you recommend?
    -I've seen a lot of mention of cables and cartridges. I'm sure that these play a large part in the quality of sound you experience, but how large of a role? And again, are there any you would recommend?
    -Also, eventually I'd like to get a pair of high-quality headphones. Are BOSE the way to go? Or are there others you would recommend?
    -Finally, is there anything else I need for the set-up besides turntable, cables, pre-amp, amp, and speakers/headphones?

**Price Range: For my entire rig (minus headphones) I'd really like to keep it under $1,000**

I'm sure this wouldn't get me a really high-quality set-up, just an entry-level one, but I just want a set-up where I can receive a noticeably higher-quality sound from my vinyl. I can upgrade later, but as for now I'm a poor college student who is sick of CDs and shitty MP3s.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks a TON everybody

Also, if anyone knows of a website that really explains what all this equipment does, or gives general advice to newbies like myself, that would be awesome.

Last edited by MPizzle06; 05-28-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    MPizzle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #427
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MPizzle06 View Post
    I have been looking at turntables, and have seen a good amount of praise for the Pro-Ject Debut III and REGA-P1. Both are a bit expensive for my budget but if I could grab a used one somewhere that would be awesome.
    $325 for a Pro-Ject Debut III with a good Pro-Ject preamp - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....II-with-phono-

You could probably offer $300 and nail the sale - it's worth close to $600.

Quote:
    So I have a few questions for bthose who wouldn't mind giving some advice:

-What entry-level pre-amps and amplifiers would you recommend? And WTF does a pre-amp even accomplish?
    Pre-amp takes the signal from the cartidige and amplifies it, just like your current receiver is doing. However most dedicated preamps do a far better and more accurate job with the signal, restoring the correct EQ curve and getting the right amount of gain (making it louder) so the receiver gets a signal it can do something with. When you use a preamp you no longer use the PHONO input on your receiver, but rather CD or DVD or AUX1 instead. They're not a necessity when you have a receiver with one already built in, but they do offer a substantial increase in performance and as such should definitely be a goal.

Quote:
    -Do I need a subwoofer to go along with my ELS-3 speakers? And if so, which would you recommend?
    You don't need one, but it would certainly round out the sound a lot better and allow your speakers to deal with the frequencies they're capable of dealing with. Does your receiver have a subwoofer output and a crossover? If it doesn't, you don't get the sub. If it does then I'd recommend something from Elemental Designs, SVS, Hsu, AV123, Axiom Audio - they're all online dealers with great subs.

Quote:
    -I've seen a lot of mention of cables and cartridges. I'm sure that these play a large part in the quality of sound you experience, but how large of a role? And again, are there any you would recommend?
    With cables it all depends upon your system. For most of us here there's no need to buy $500/pair silver-lined Nordost speaker wire, but if your components come to around $50,000 then it would be just as pointless to use $5 speaker wire too, regardless of what tests you might have read. For entry-level I can't see why Monoprice's $5 RCA cables and 14 guage speaker wire wouldn't be desirable and their prices are dead cheap.

There are UMPTEEN cartridges to choose from, with $20 cartridges available and $10,000 cartridges available. The Pro-Ject Debut III comes with the Ortofon 5e cartridge which I think retails for around $90. It's a nice cartridge and I would stick with it while you get into vinyl. A little ways down the road you may wish to upgrade, most people go to the Ortofon Red.

Quote:
    -Also, eventually I'd like to get a pair of high-quality headphones. Are BOSE the way to go? Or are there others you would recommend?
    I'd recommend anything other than Bose. Bose are a marketing machine and spend very little on actual product research and development. Grado, Sennheisier, Denon, AKG, they'll all give you much more performance per $.

Quote:
    -Finally, is there anything else I need for the set-up besides turntable, cables, pre-amp, amp, and speakers/headphones?
    Definitely! A carbon fibre brush is a must have, they're usually around $20. Most record dealers have record cleaning available - I'd pick up some extra sleeves so that whenever you get a record cleaned it goes into a new sleeve. Record cleaning is usually around $1/record. I buy my sleeves (Disckeeper anti-static inner sleeves and 2.5 outer sleeves) from Sleeve Town - www.sleevecity.com - they have great product, probably have record brushes in there too. I'd also pick up a stylus brush - the Mobile Fidelity one is $9.

Quote:
    **Price Range: For my entire rig (minus headphones) I'd really like to keep it under $1,000**

I'm sure this wouldn't get me a really high-quality set-up, just an entry-level one, but I just want a set-up where I can receive a noticeably higher-quality sound from my vinyl.
    Pick up the Pro-Ject and you'll be getting a much better vinyl experience, far superior than spending said amount on CD will get you.
    Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #428
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    $325 for a Pro-Ject Debut III with a good Pro-Ject preamp - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....II-with-phono-

You could probably offer $300 and nail the sale - it's worth close to $600.

Pre-amp takes the signal from the cartidige and amplifies it, just like your current receiver is doing. However most dedicated preamps do a far better and more accurate job with the signal, restoring the correct EQ curve and getting the right amount of gain (making it louder) so the receiver gets a signal it can do something with. When you use a preamp you no longer use the PHONO input on your receiver, but rather CD or DVD or AUX1 instead. They're not a necessity when you have a receiver with one already built in, but they do offer a substantial increase in performance and as such should definitely be a goal.

You don't need one, but it would certainly round out the sound a lot better and allow your speakers to deal with the frequencies they're capable of dealing with. Does your receiver have a subwoofer output and a crossover? If it doesn't, you don't get the sub. If it does then I'd recommend something from Elemental Designs, SVS, Hsu, AV123, Axiom Audio - they're all online dealers with great subs.

With cables it all depends upon your system. For most of us here there's no need to buy $500/pair silver-lined Nordost speaker wire, but if your components come to around $50,000 then it would be just as pointless to use $5 speaker wire too, regardless of what tests you might have read. For entry-level I can't see why Monoprice's $5 RCA cables and 14 guage speaker wire wouldn't be desirable and their prices are dead cheap.

There are UMPTEEN cartridges to choose from, with $20 cartridges available and $10,000 cartridges available. The Pro-Ject Debut III comes with the Ortofon 5e cartridge which I think retails for around $90. It's a nice cartridge and I would stick with it while you get into vinyl. A little ways down the road you may wish to upgrade, most people go to the Ortofon Red.

I'd recommend anything other than Bose. Bose are a marketing machine and spend very little on actual product research and development. Grado, Sennheisier, Denon, AKG, they'll all give you much more performance per $.

Definitely! A carbon fibre brush is a must have, they're usually around $20. Most record dealers have record cleaning available - I'd pick up some extra sleeves so that whenever you get a record cleaned it goes into a new sleeve. Record cleaning is usually around $1/record. I buy my sleeves (Disckeeper anti-static inner sleeves and 2.5 outer sleeves) from Sleeve Town - www.sleevecity.com - they have great product, probably have record brushes in there too. I'd also pick up a stylus brush - the Mobile Fidelity one is $9.

Pick up the Pro-Ject and you'll be getting a much better vinyl experience, far superior than spending said amount on CD will get you.
    Thanks so much for all the input!!!!!!!

So I don't need a receiver then? If I have a pre-amp?
    Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #429
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MPizzle06 View Post
    Thanks so much for all the input!!!!!!!

So I don't need a receiver then? If I have a pre-amp?
    No you definitely need a receiver! You don't need a pre-amp if you have a receiver with a PHONO input, but it's definitely better to have one.
    Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #430
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No you definitely need a receiver! You don't need a pre-amp if you have a receiver with a PHONO input, but it's definitely better to have one.

Yeah the one my parents have has a PHONO input (thus me being able to listen on my dad's ONKYO). Any advice on receivers? Does it even matter as much as cables/pre-amp/speakers?

And I just looked at headphones...really like the Grado SR60i for ~ $70
    Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #431
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

For sure the receiver definitely matters - I'd recommend based on budget. I believe all the stages of the sound are equally as important, one bad link spoils the entire chain.
    Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #432
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

If you are only going to use the receiver for listening to vinyl you might want to look at getting a vintage receiver from ebay/craigslist. You can get some nice ones for pretty cheap ~$150
    Old 05-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #433
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

If you're just listening to vinyl, then you only need a stereo receiver and not a 7.1 or anything. I've never really shopped for stereo receivers though, so I don't know what brands give the most bang for the buck.
    Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #434
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Just put my copy of Big Whiskey on hold at the local record shop.
    Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #435
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For sure the receiver definitely matters - I'd recommend based on budget. I believe all the stages of the sound are equally as important, one bad link spoils the entire chain.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band View Post
    If you are only going to use the receiver for listening to vinyl you might want to look at getting a vintage receiver from ebay/craigslist. You can get some nice ones for pretty cheap ~$150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    If you're just listening to vinyl, then you only need a stereo receiver and not a 7.1 or anything. I've never really shopped for stereo receivers though, so I don't know what brands give the most bang for the buck.
    Thanks guys!!

Just purchased Ryan Adams & The Cardinals' "Cold Roses" vinyl on ebay

Been wanting this one for a long time. One of my favorite albums
    Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #436
    DrinkNoH2O
    I drink & I know things

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I have a question for you all... I don't really have any knowledge when it comes to turntables/records however my girlfriend recently wanted me to hookup her turntable that had been collecting dust for quite a while. It's a Technics, not sure of the model, but it's maybe 10 years old. I hooked it up via RCA cables to her receiver and it played, but it was at an extremely low volume, even with the volume all of the way up on the turntable itself. I hooked it up to the aux input on a little surround sound system as well and had the same problem. I couldn't find any other gain setting or anything like that. My next step is to try and hook it up to my JVC receiver that has a specific "phono" RCA jack input.

Does the turntable output the same level as a standard RCA connection? Do I need a pre-amp or something, or do I just need to buy her a new turntable?
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #437
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

If your turntable is that old, my guess is it wouldn't have an internal amp. If your going to use a turn table with a receiver that does not have a special input for phono (like your JVC does) you'll need to buy a new turn table. But it should work fine with the JVC receiver. Give that one a spin, I bet you'll be happy with it.
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #438
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak View Post
    If your turntable is that old, my guess is it wouldn't have an internal amp. If your going to use a turn table with a receiver that does not have a special input for phono (like your JVC does) you'll need to buy a new turn table. But it should work fine with the JVC receiver. Give that one a spin, I bet you'll be happy with it.
    I think he meant you'll need a new receiver. There is nothing wrong with your turntable. Turntables require either a receiver with a specific Phono Input or they will need a Preamp (just a small box that you hook up between the turntable and the receiver) that will boost the signal before it goes into your receiver that distributes the sound to your speakers. It's better to get a preamp because it will do a better job at amplifying the sound than a receiver in general, even ones that have a phono input.
    Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #439
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think he meant you'll need a new receiver. There is nothing wrong with your turntable. Turntables require either a receiver with a specific Phono Input or they will need a Preamp (just a small box that you hook up between the turntable and the receiver) that will boost the signal before it goes into your receiver that distributes the sound to your speakers. It's better to get a preamp because it will do a better job at amplifying the sound than a receiver in general, even ones that have a phono input.
    Or, he can buy a new turn table that is made for receivers today and has a built in pre-amp. Mine works just fine.

Either way, I believe if he hooks up his JVC, he should be good to go.
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #440
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak View Post
    Or, he can buy a new turn table that is made for receivers today and has a built in pre-amp. Mine works just fine.

Either way, I believe if he hooks up his JVC, he should be good to go.
    What turntables have built in preamps?
    Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #441
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What turntables have built in preamps?
    I think there's a couple of Audio Technica tt's that do, but you won't find any with built in pre-amps from Rega, Pro-Ject, VPI, Music Hall, Clearaudio, Teres, etc., etc., etc.

It is not the norm. A dedicated pre-amp stage is much preferrable as usually phono inputs or built-in pre-amps these days are an afterthought with very little expense put towards them.
    Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #442
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Usually you'd want to look at something from Classe, Roxsan, etc., as these guys are building dedicated 2-channel amps specifically designed for high-end 2-channel reproduction often with high-end turntables and CD players in mind.

For the usual culprits at our level (and no offense to anyone whose system is far above the levels I'm talking about) like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, etc., the 7.1 receivers often have better components than the 2-channel models, so you're almost better off looking at one of these if you're not interested in the $2,000+ realm of 2-channel amps.
    Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #443
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

I think I spelled that wrong - it should be Roksan.

Cool story - http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/...aspx?id=129095

Vinyl sales up 56% through April of this year.

Neil Young was just talking about the blu-ray release of his Archives Vol1, also available on DVD/CD set. In addition to saying that the Blu-ray is the only way to really experience archives with it's 24/192 PCM tracks...he also states "Apple has turned music into wallpaper."

Neil, I love you.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-31-2009 at 08:07 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #444
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Went to the record store yesterday and picked up Cardinalolgy by Ryan Adams and the Cardinals and also got The Sea and the Rythm by Iron and Wine
    Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #445
    MPizzle06
    EPL CHAMPIONS!

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey and Cold Roses getting here this coming week
    Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #446
    skaman343
    I love big brother

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey on vinyl right now. Good day to be alive.
    Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #447
    DrinkNoH2O
    I drink & I know things

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for all of the advice guys, the problem was definitely that my girlfriend's little all-in-one surround sound system needed some sort of pre-amp. The turntable rocks on my JVC receiver with the phono input and Wharfedale speakers. I'll probably end up getting her one of those cheap little pre-amps for about $20 on eBay. She's no audiophile, as long as it makes it loud enough she'll be happy.
    Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #448
    nakedwithyou

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

WOW! Haven't posted on AM in ages! I know I know.. new album comes out and people come crawling out of the wood-work.

Had a quick question... Whats with the 7" that is coming out with the new record? Got an e-mail from Newbury Comics regarding a limited 7"...

As for new vinyl, I've been spinning the new Grizzly Bear. Not only is it wonderful, but the warmth of playing it on record (versus ceedee) is astounding!

Also, just got lots of Jason Molina stuff... "Let Go, Let Go, Let Go" and "Axxess and Ace." I'm super excited for the new Mangolia Electric Co album.

Also just picked up a few Dr. Dog 7"s as well as the new Modest Mouse 45 (on orange vinyl). Good stuff!

Nice to be back
    nakedwithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #449
    herzag17

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skaman343 View Post
    Big Whiskey on vinyl right now. Good day to be alive.
    does this include the digital download? i would really prefer to only purchase this once.
    Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #450
    skaman343
    I love big brother

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herzag17 View Post
    does this include the digital download? i would really prefer to only purchase this once.
    No, it does not. I got mine from Best Buy. I don't know about from the official DMB store though. I think I have seen it doesn't but not completely sure.