**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 772 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #23131
MarsHotel

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
VMP opening their own pressing plant, in Denver. Due to begin production at the end of this year

Do you think this will open up some backlogs?
MarsHotel is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #23132
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, people are crazy!

**side glances at DDTW 12”**

Exactly. We all (or mostly all) have things in our collections that would look obsessive and unnecessary to someone uninterested. I personally would never pay those secondary market prices, even for things that I really really want in my collection (MoFi Sea Change I'm looking at you!), but I won't fault those that do. It appears that 20k would have been a better pressing #, but I'm glad to see people getting excited about going in to local record stores. Would have been better to have more of them walk away satisfied. I did see some shitty eliteism going on toward the Swifties ("oh, youre ONLY here for THAT record..." as if their musical taste is unworthy of standing in line for music) and fortunately it was the exception vs the rule. We need to be welcoming people into the fold of physical media enthusiasts.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #23133
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    VMP opening their own pressing plant, in Denver. Due to begin production at the end of this year
    an intrguing development, especially given the two names they attached to it (rawlings, salstrom). i've a very healthy dose of skepticism here that this will succeed as they hope, but i don't think anyone can or should look at this announcement as a bad thing. only time will tell. and at the very least, they will no longer be able to hold anyone but themselves accountable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarsHotel View Post
    Do you think this will open up some backlogs?
    not in the near term, certainly, and hopefully they don't go balls out right out of the gate, instead ramping up production over time to work out the kinks. i can't see this new plant impacting current backlog issues for another 1-2 years at least, and that's assuming they take on outside orders beyond what they've stated in the announcement (vmp product and select partners).

Discogs

Last edited by AndySlash; 04-25-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #23134
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post

Exactly. We all (or mostly all) have things in our collections that would look obsessive and unnecessary to someone uninterested. I personally would never pay those secondary market prices, even for things that I really really want in my collection (MoFi Sea Change I'm looking at you!), but I won't fault those that do. It appears that 20k would have been a better pressing #, but I'm glad to see people getting excited about going in to local record stores. Would have been better to have more of them walk away satisfied. I did see some shitty eliteism going on toward the Swifties ("oh, youre ONLY here for THAT record..." as if their musical taste is unworthy of standing in line for music) and fortunately it was the exception vs the rule. We need to be welcoming people into the fold of physical media enthusiasts.
    My only issue with it is that buying a 7" with effectively one song on it that has already been released elsewhere is less about the music and more about the "elitism" of simply possessing it. I mean a 7" with effectively one song on it is probably the worst possible way to distribute and listen to a song. If it's about the music, then there are far better ways to make it available.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #23135
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    My only issue with it is that buying a 7" with effectively one song on it that has already been released elsewhere is less about the music and more about the "elitism" of simply possessing it. I mean a 7" with effectively one song on it is probably the worst possible way to distribute and listen to a song. If it's about the music, then there are far better ways to make it available.
    Can you imagine if only 100 copies were released? Then we get into baseball-card trading territory where this motherf*cking thing be flipped at Sotheby's in a few years for a pretty penny.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #23136
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

very late but RSD was a success. Managed to also pick up the DLO3 release, Vince Guaraldi 7", and Music Has The Right To Children which has been on my wishlist for a long long time
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #23137
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Did anyone grab belladonna? And if so, any good?
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #23138
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

could've picked up Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and Doors RSD exclusive but picked up Taylor instead.
    Old 04-26-2022, 04:52 AM   #23139
    but1well
    love baby

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Your point would then apply to all vinyl once streaming was made accessible to everyone via computer or phone.

Ignore the 7" part because that's irrelevant. Vinyl has intangibles that makes it appealing to folks who enjoy it.
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2022, 09:07 AM   #23140
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    Can you imagine if only 100 copies were released? Then we get into baseball-card trading territory where this motherf*cking thing be flipped at Sotheby's in a few years for a pretty penny.
    Right, but baseball cards don't pretend to be anything other than a collectible. A lot of vinyl releases pretend to be about the music when really it's just about collecting something, like this Swift release. It has very little to do with music. That's my only real issue with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    Your point would then apply to all vinyl once streaming was made accessible to everyone via computer or phone.

Ignore the 7" part because that's irrelevant. Vinyl has intangibles that makes it appealing to folks who enjoy it.
    I took that into consideration when I made the comment. That's why I specifically mentioned it being one song and a 7" vinyl. I've never heard a good sounding 7" vinyl and for just a single song why is it worth distributing on vinyl? You have to get up to flip the record after 3 or 4 minutes of music. That's completely different from a well done full LP. A full LP not only has an entire album of songs that you can spend listening to for 20 minutes before you have to flip the record (on top of being a dozen songs instead of one or two), but it can easily be pressed to much higher quality than a 7" and it includes much larger artwork for those that find that aspect important.

Let's be real, what percent of the people who bought that 7" are actually going to listen to it? I'd bet 2% or less.
    Old 04-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #23141
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I have a bunch of 7" vinyl and I've never spun a single one, too much work, lol
    Old 04-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #23142
    but1well
    love baby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    I have a bunch of 7" vinyl and I've never spun a single one, too much work, lol
    I can get that if you need to change belts. I do appreciate the newer 7" that use the standard spindle hole.
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    Old 04-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #23143
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But that is what drives a lot of the RSD hype and money people put it. There are plenty of RSD releases that can be had on black vinyl in a used bin for under $10, but people will pay $25 plus because its on colored discs or has an alt-cover. But some of that excitement and hype and money makes it more palatable for companies to put money into producing high end audiophile products (the Art Pepper from this year is a great example) that by themselves probably wouldn't make much sense without the overall frenzy that is RSD. At least they pressed 10k of them and not 500 copies ala LT 1.

As an aside I love the 7" format, have a whole collection of them, and from time to time set aside time to just listen to singles (including ones I have in "better" formats). 7" records are like baseball cards of music. Fun to trade and collect and have as mementos of artists you enjoy.
    Old 04-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #23144
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

They also make great bridal shower gifts if the chick getting married is a Swiftie and didn't luck out on RSD.
    Old 04-29-2022, 04:38 PM   #23145
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

My Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks Vol 1 finally shipped!

Ordered back in October, so it’s been a while!
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #23146
    TempHelpNeeded
    Green Hat Guy

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks Vol 1 finally shipped!

Ordered back in October, so it’s been a while!
    Noice! I love when preorders finally ship. It's like a birthday gift!

I recently found a near mint condition vinyl of "Waiting for Columbus" by Little Feat. Grabbed it from a German record store (https://recordsale.de/en). Took just over ten days to get to me (no thanks to the USPS) too. The shipping rate was like $9-10 and was perfectly/safely packaged.

TempHelpNeeded is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-07-2022, 07:47 AM   #23147
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

FYI - Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, 45rpm AAA cut, is back up at Acoustic Sounds: https://store.acousticsounds.com/ind...Title_ID=73243

Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman mastering from the original tapes; pressed at Pallas. This is *the* definitive version of the album IMO
    Old 05-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #23148
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    FYI - Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, 45rpm AAA cut, is back up at Acoustic Sounds: https://store.acousticsounds.com/ind...Title_ID=73243

Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman mastering from the original tapes; pressed at Pallas. This is *the* definitive version of the album IMO

I have 2 original Jacksonville pressings. May have to bust one out tonight.
    unccrombie is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #23149
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

MoFi Thriller One-Step

https://mofi.com/products/michael-ja...one-step-33rpm

A 2-LP 45rpm is supposedly coming later this year. I’ll probably hold out for that one.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 05-16-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    Old 05-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #23150
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Why are they wasting time with a 33 that’s supposedly just ripped from the digital tracks? Also, 40k?

Mofis been struggling IMO
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #23151
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Why are they wasting time with a 33 that’s supposedly just ripped from the digital tracks? Also, 40k?

Mofis been struggling IMO
    Huh? The MoFi is mastered from the original analog tapes, pressed at RTI. Are you referring to the 40th anniversary pressing that Target/Walmart are selling?

40k is a lot, especially for a One-Step but it's also Thriller. It'll sell out eventually. They're pressing this now because they likely couldn't get the 45rpm done in time for the 40th anniversary due to supply constraints. And the reason they likely did both 33 and 45 is because it's like printing money.
    Old 05-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #23152
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

vmp marketing an $80 boxcutter to open records is peak vmp

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2022, 05:01 AM   #23153
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

^^^^ thats funny. Ill stick to using my key.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2022, 05:19 AM   #23154
    but1well
    love baby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    I thought you had to be exaggerating on that price. wow

they call it the first of it's kind. it's a small knife.
    Old 05-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #23155
    ricky towel

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I used to just tear the whole plastic off and toss it.
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2022, 06:33 AM   #23156
    ricky towel

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Jeans work too.
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #23157
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Smashing Pumpkins - MCIS and Siamese Dream seem to be coming back to shelves.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #23158
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Huh? The MoFi is mastered from the original analog tapes, pressed at RTI. Are you referring to the 40th anniversary pressing that Target/Walmart are selling?

40k is a lot, especially for a One-Step but it's also Thriller. It'll sell out eventually. They're pressing this now because they likely couldn't get the 45rpm done in time for the 40th anniversary due to supply constraints. And the reason they likely did both 33 and 45 is because it's like printing money.
    Sure is, I'll likely get both. Can't have too much Thriller in your life.

$80 mini-box cutter has to be boutique vinyl's jump the shark moment. I thought I was being too prissy because I use an exacto knife.
    Old 05-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #23159
    monkeyman420

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Smashing Pumpkins - MCIS and Siamese Dream seem to be coming back to shelves.
    SP put the vinyl up for sale today and it sold out in about 5 minutes. Missed out on it. Hope they make more available.
    monkeyman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #23160
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post

Do they think the possible pretentiousness of vinyl collecting is a feature that should be promoted in the hobby? That video comes across like an April Fool's Joke.