Lawncare/Landscape Thread - Page 13 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #361
Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Lawncare/Landscape Thread

First mow of the season yesterday, and threw down the first milo application.
Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #362
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    First mow of the season yesterday, and threw down the first milo application.
    Good stuff. Gonna wait a few more weeks to mow here. Still below freezing at night.

Raking absolutely kicked my ass this weekend but so happy that I did it. Got so much dead stuff out of the front yard, like 6-7 garbage cans worth. Got the pre-emergent down right after so hopefully that does the trick and keeps me relatively weed-free.

Back yard is a whole different ballgame. It was in pretty rough shape when we moved in last April and then got torn up when we had to have some drainage work done. I spread a ton of topsoil last year in late May and tried to seed, but it never took and has just been dirt/mud since. So I'm working with a blank slate.

Already raked the crap out of it yesterday, leaves/rocks etc. This week (or next depending on the weather) I'm going to lime and fertilize the soil and then till it. Going to rent a roller for $15 from Home Depot to pat the soil down a little bit if need be (will see how loose it is after tilling) and then hopefully will have seed down either this weekend or next after a good amount of watering a few days leading up to that. Also have to fill in a couple more low spots after tilling but nothing more than a few bags' worth. Really pumped to finally get something growing back there, it's been a huge eyesore the past year.
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #363
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds like a good plan
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #364
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Good stuff. Gonna wait a few more weeks to mow here. Still below freezing at night.

Raking absolutely kicked my ass this weekend but so happy that I did it. Got so much dead stuff out of the front yard, like 6-7 garbage cans worth. Got the pre-emergent down right after so hopefully that does the trick and keeps me relatively weed-free.

Back yard is a whole different ballgame. It was in pretty rough shape when we moved in last April and then got torn up when we had to have some drainage work done. I spread a ton of topsoil last year in late May and tried to seed, but it never took and has just been dirt/mud since. So I'm working with a blank slate.

Already raked the crap out of it yesterday, leaves/rocks etc. This week (or next depending on the weather) I'm going to lime and fertilize the soil and then till it. Going to rent a roller for $15 from Home Depot to pat the soil down a little bit if need be (will see how loose it is after tilling) and then hopefully will have seed down either this weekend or next after a good amount of watering a few days leading up to that. Also have to fill in a couple more low spots after tilling but nothing more than a few bags' worth. Really pumped to finally get something growing back there, it's been a huge eyesore the past year.
    Did you ever end up getting any money from the seller for this?
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #365
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Did you ever end up getting any money from the seller for this?
    Still in the early stages of commencing suit. We still have more than two years so now that we've finished our basement and remedied the drainage issue we are going to have some funds available to retain a lawyer. Thanks for asking though
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #366
    collinsat12
    Brew Crew

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    I just laid down pre-emergent yesterday, I hope it's not too late. It's been hovering around 30's/low 40's in the night and not really creeping much above the 40's recently until today. I just hope I got enough down early enough for the MD crabgrass breeding period. Which is terrible.
    At those temperatures you'll be fine... once you get a couple of days above 50 you start to have issues.

collinsat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #367
    smlutz

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just laid down pre-emergent yesterday, I hope it's not too late. It's been hovering around 30's/low 40's in the night and not really creeping much above the 40's recently until today. I just hope I got enough down early enough for the MD crabgrass breeding period. Which is terrible.
    The best indicator of when to put down pre-emergents is when you see the forsythia in bloom. You're most likely not too late.
    smlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #368
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cdde67c6a5.jpg

Had a landscaper come out and quote us this....we moved in here last fall and the lawn is in rough shape
    Old 04-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #369
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cdde67c6a5.jpg

Had a landscaper come out and quote us this....we moved in here last fall and the lawn is in rough shape
    Looks about right. I pay a company I think $78 every 5-6 weeks for what looks like that top section. I don't do any of those optional things like near bottom. I think mine has recommended mole control a few times. And I think they and one other guy quoted me somewhere around $400-600 to aerate and overseed, but this year I didn't feel like throwing that money at it.

So just doing the regular $78 every 5-6 weeks is all I do. Going into the 4th summer season at this house and at the moment I feel like this is the best the front lawn has looked. The back yard is another issue; I dunno what's up with that.
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #370
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Looks about right. I pay a company I think $78 every 5-6 weeks for what looks like that top section. I don't do any of those optional things like near bottom. I think mine has recommended mole control a few times. And I think they and one other guy quoted me somewhere around $400-600 to aerate and overseed, but this year I didn't feel like throwing that money at it.

So just doing the regular $78 every 5-6 weeks is all I do. Going into the 4th summer season at this house and at the moment I feel like this is the best the front lawn has looked. The back yard is another issue; I dunno what's up with that.

Yeah. I have to get on the phone with the guy and figure out the most important stuff and see what we can hold off on. All together the quote comes in around 1,800 for the year.
    Old 04-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #371
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Probably depends on where you live, but pest control is one thing I decided to not to do a thing about at first. After a few years, I started to realize the worst we had was the occasional roach or spider and maybe they get worse during the warmer months.

So finally middle/late last year I bought this and did the spray around the perimeter of the exterior and most of the baseboards on the first floor and I feel like they tapered off to almost nothing. Saw a couple roaches in the past few weeks for the first time in a while so I did it again; this time poured the stuff in my weed sprayer to make it easier.

I live in GA so we've got plenty of creepy crawlies.
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #372
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Feeling good about my pre-emergent application. Got a little colder today and tomorrow before a big warm-up at the end of this week. Lord I hope about half of this stuff works.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #373
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Probably depends on where you live, but pest control is one thing I decided to not to do a thing about at first. After a few years, I started to realize the worst we had was the occasional roach or spider and maybe they get worse during the warmer months.

So finally middle/late last year I bought this and did the spray around the perimeter of the exterior and most of the baseboards on the first floor and I feel like they tapered off to almost nothing. Saw a couple roaches in the past few weeks for the first time in a while so I did it again; this time poured the stuff in my weed sprayer to make it easier.

I live in GA so we've got plenty of creepy crawlies.

The biggest thing would be mosquitos and ticks. Stink bugs can be a problem but as long as they are not getting in the house it’s not too bad.

We always have about 50 birds on our lawn so I’d assume we 100% need the grub control. I just wish my whole lawn was as green as the part my septic tank is under lol
    Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #374
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Project this past weekend. Fertilized and limed and then filled the soil about 1.5-2 inches. Raked out all the rocks- a ridiculous two wheelbarrows full- and then did some serious regrading. Made that hilly part near the walkway less bumpy, made the high part lower and low parts higher. Feeling pretty good about how it looks, going to water it pretty good the next few days and then hopefully have seed down Tuesday or Wednesday. If this doesn’t work, I don’t know what I’m going to do

And yes I know my deck sucks, that’s the next project on my list
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 925F9BC4-D5FF-4AE1-982B-FB2E25769326.jpg (75.7 KB, 26 views)
    Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #375
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Project this past weekend. Fertilized and limed and then filled the soil about 1.5-2 inches. Raked out all the rocks- a ridiculous two wheelbarrows full- and then did some serious regrading. Made that hilly part near the walkway less bumpy, made the high part lower and low parts higher. Feeling pretty good about how it looks, going to water it pretty good the next few days and then hopefully have seed down Tuesday or Wednesday. If this doesn’t work, I don’t know what I’m going to do

And yes I know my deck sucks, that’s the next project on my list
    Tilled*, fucking autocorrect
    Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #376
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

My Tour Central Stats

Looks good! I Have similar work to do in my back as well but have been putting it off for a while
    Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #377
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looks good! I Have similar work to do in my back as well but have been putting it off for a while
    Thanks bro! It was a ton of work so if you’re gonna try to tackle it then be prepared to bust your ass haha
    Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #378
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Moved into a rental house recently and the yard is kind of meh with some weeds popping up. I've always just mowed the grass never really took care of it from a weed control/color perspective. Any tips for beginners in how to make the grass greener + effective weed control?
    Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #379
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Moved into a rental house recently and the yard is kind of meh with some weeds popping up. I've always just mowed the grass never really took care of it from a weed control/color perspective. Any tips for beginners in how to make the grass greener + effective weed control?
    Let the property owner take care of it. No sense investing your money to help his property look better.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #380
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    Let the property owner take care of it. No sense investing your money to help his property look better.
    I already have a lawn mower and tools to take care of it. I'm not depending on someone else to do something I can do on my own. It's something we enjoy doing.
    Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #381
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I already have a lawn mower and tools to take care of it. I'm not depending on someone else to do something I can do on my own. It's something we enjoy doing.
    Well sure...what I’m saying is don’t pay Chemlawn to make the grass greener.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #382
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If crabgrass is your problem it's probably too late in your area to lay down any pre-emergent; that was my biggest problem. Looks towards the fall to do some fertilizing and planting, then get some pre-emergent down next spring.
    Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #383
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    Well sure...what I’m saying is don’t pay Chemlawn to make the grass greener.
    my lawn is just coming out of dormancy, like nearly everyone else's in the neighborhood. This guy down the road, his grass looks greener than the 4th of July. Shit is gonna be a mess by the summer.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #384
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

First mow of the season, felt good to be back in the saddle

Can't really tell but the Pennington patch fixer has worked really nicely in those bare spots. Already seeing some sprouts popping up after one week. Once those are filled in I think I'm gonna have to weed and feed, definitely noticed some weedy spots as I was mowing which was disappointing.

All in all pretty happy though, it's nice to see hard work in the fall and thus far this spring paying off.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg image1.jpg (75.4 KB, 23 views)
    Old 04-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #385
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

First mow of the season for me last night too. Had to raise the mower up a bit the grass was so high. Looking into putting on a deck this year. Big plans.
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #386
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First mow of the season, felt good to be back in the saddle

Can't really tell but the Pennington patch fixer has worked really nicely in those bare spots. Already seeing some sprouts popping up after one week. Once those are filled in I think I'm gonna have to weed and feed, definitely noticed some weedy spots as I was mowing which was disappointing.

All in all pretty happy though, it's nice to see hard work in the fall and thus far this spring paying off.
    Looking good Steng!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
    First mow of the season for me last night too. Had to raise the mower up a bit the grass was so high. Looking into putting on a deck this year. Big plans.
    I always raise my deck all the way up when I mow. The higher the grass, then less sun for the weeds.
    Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #387
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Looking good Steng!

I always raise my deck all the way up when I mow. The higher the grass, then less sun for the weeds.
    Thanks Beefs.

I wish my lawn was more “turfy” if that makes sense. It’s nice and green and there are some really nice spots where it’s exclusively grass. But there are definitely areas where I feel like I’m battling weeds constantly. So frustrating!
    Old 04-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #388
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

My Tour Central Stats

I'm working on patching up the holes in my yard where the crabgrass was thick but now dead. Any one have good experiences with any particular seed? Steng, you said something about Pennington's product?
    Old 04-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #389
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

We use Lawn Sense to weed and feed. They do six applications a year and spot treatments as needed. Been very satisfied. Lawn looks great and the cost is about the same as buying the Scott's bags and doing it myself.
    Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #390
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm working on patching up the holes in my yard where the crabgrass was thick but now dead. Any one have good experiences with any particular seed? Steng, you said something about Pennington's product?
    Yeah man. The Pennington patch repair is what I’ve had success with. It’s a mulch/fert/seed all in one. A bag only covers very small amounts though so be extra sure to measure the square footage you need to cover.

Alternatively I’ve also had success just with topsoil and seeding the fuck out of it . The Pennington is just all in one and less work overall.