**Official Running Thread** - Page 112 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #3331
laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat View Post
That is awesome news, Laura! Killer time and that fact that you didn't hit the wall is amazing. Enjoy your recovery.
thanks! you have any upcoming races? gonna watch NYC next weekend? couple females i'll be watching- allie keiffler, stephanie bruce, sarah sellers, and of course shalene and des

i think i'll end up doing a spring marathon, because a 2019 fall race wouldn't really logistically work out for me, and i don't want to lose the running gains that i have now. (and sure i'm an addict). vermont city marathon in burlington,VT is on my radar. memorial day weekend
laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #3332
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Got cleared to start a walking / jogging program by my surgeon yesterday, highlight of the day
    Great news! Which injury are you rehabbing from?
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #3333
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

With colder weather in the near future, what are some of everyone's favorite cold gear items? I am looking for a jacket to wear on runs and would love some suggestions.

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #3334
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    thanks! you have any upcoming races? gonna watch NYC next weekend? couple females i'll be watching- allie keiffler, stephanie bruce, sarah sellers, and of course shalene and des

i think i'll end up doing a spring marathon, because a 2019 fall race wouldn't really logistically work out for me, and i don't want to lose the running gains that i have now. (and sure i'm an addict). vermont city marathon in burlington,VT is on my radar. memorial day weekend
    I am actually going to be out on course come Sunday morning. 5th straight year and hopefully 5 is a magic number. Will be bummed to miss all the pro action, especially in the women's field, so will catch up later when I am eating myself silly.

Nice call on taking advantage of your running gains while you can. I have heard really good things about Vermont, but it can also get a bit warm for marathon weather too. I know a lot of people in this area do the New Jersey Marathon in late April. Weather is usually still spot on and a flat course.
    Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #3335
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    With colder weather in the near future, what are some of everyone's favorite cold gear items? I am looking for a jacket to wear on runs and would love some suggestions.
    I have a Nike jacket that I use and just layer underneath. My biggest cold weather piece is my mittens. I got a pair
    that are fleece lined and waterproof. Way better than finger gloves in the cold.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #3336
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I am actually going to be out on course come Sunday morning. 5th straight year and hopefully 5 is a magic number. Will be bummed to miss all the pro action, especially in the women's field, so will catch up later when I am eating myself silly.

Nice call on taking advantage of your running gains while you can. I have heard really good things about Vermont, but it can also get a bit warm for marathon weather too. I know a lot of people in this area do the New Jersey Marathon in late April. Weather is usually still spot on and a flat course.
    wow, good luck! weather looks good. how you feeling?

i've looked into the new jersey marathon in the past, it's definitely appealing in terms of weather/course. burlington would just be a fantastic little city to spend a nice long weekend/race in the weather is a concern to me. at least they have changed the starting time from 8am to 7am, as i guess 2016 was a disaster with the heat

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    i usually layer up under my columbia running vest. i've had the vest for maybe 2-3 years and it's still holding up great, keeps my core very warm.

for baselayers, i think it's worth buying a shirt out of merino wool. it will keep you warm and dry, even in wet conditions. it also doesn't hold onto odor so you can wear it multiple times without having to wash it (#dirtbaglife). i know people that wore this for the boston marathon (freezing rain and headwinds) and stayed warm throughout the race

Last edited by laura22; 10-30-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #3337
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Decided to do an 8K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. As of 2 weeks ago I hadn't run in more than a year. Gonna be a major push to train for 5 miles in less than a month.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #3338
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i've looked into the new jersey marathon in the past, it's definitely appealing in terms of weather/course. burlington would just be a fantastic little city to spend a nice long weekend/race in the weather is a concern to me. at least they have changed the starting time from 8am to 7am, as i guess 2016 was a disaster with the heat

i usually layer up under my columbia running vest. i've had the vest for maybe 2-3 years and it's still holding up great, keeps my core very warm.

for baselayers, i think it's worth buying a shirt out of merino wool. it will keep you warm and dry, even in wet conditions. it also doesn't hold onto odor so you can wear it multiple times without having to wash it (#dirtbaglife). i know people that wore this for the boston marathon (freezing rain and headwinds) and stayed warm throughout the race
    Thanks Laura. I usually layer but I am looking for some other options for my after work runs. For most of the summer and now fall, I've been running from my office to the train station to get an earlier train. I really want something I can wear multiple days through the Chicago winter that won't stink once I get on the train. During the humid summer months I never sat by anyone because all the dry fit clothing traps in the stink of a run. thanks for merino wool idea!

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #3339
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Feeling good and the weather is just about ideal. Hoping some clouds make it into the forecast to but back on the sun a little. Other then that, just running the race I have trained for. That is all I can do.

Quote:
    The bold is the only reason you need to do Burlington over NJ. Glad to hear they moved the start back too. Had a buddy run Vermont in 2016 and he said it was one of his most difficult marathons ever.
    Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #3340
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

2018 will definitely go down as a running year to remember for me. Started off with a 5K PB in March, followed that up by breaking an 8+ year PB in the half marathon in May, then setting a mile PB in June, then lowering that mile PB in September, crushing my 10 mile PB in late September, then culminating the year with a whopping 22+ min PB (previous PB was from 2010) in the marathon on Sunday, finishing in 3:36. Overall could not be more thrilled with not only the marathon but the whole year. Time to rest up, recover, and set new goals for 2019. Hello, 10K. Long time no talk.
    Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #3341
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

As much as I love the feeling of finishing a marathon and how the training keeps me fit and healthy I'm really ready for a year without one. The 18 week training period and thus 1/3 of my saturdays that year being planned around long runs gets tiring. I'm looking forward to a marathon-less 2019 and simple 5-8 mile saturday runs.
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #3342
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    Great news! Which injury are you rehabbing from?

I had my second illiotibial band hernia repair in April and got cleared to start running which I was starting a few weeks ago, got re-injured shortly after lifting at the gym (upper body lifting), now my leg is in pain every day and I don't have an ultrasound until January where they will likely find the same problem. I can't really do much physically right now because it hurts too much, this is now the third time and I'm really upset / frustrated about it.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #3343
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    As much as I love the feeling of finishing a marathon and how the training keeps me fit and healthy I'm really ready for a year without one. The 18 week training period and thus 1/3 of my saturdays that year being planned around long runs gets tiring. I'm looking forward to a marathon-less 2019 and simple 5-8 mile saturday runs.
    Agree 100%. It will be nice to not have to plan a whole weekend around that long run for sure. I am sure my overall milage will not be that much lower with no marathon to train for, but will be much more relaxed running on a weekly basis.
    Old 01-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #3344
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

marathon training starts monday

decided to do vermont city marathon #bringontheheat
    Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #3345
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

The founder of the Falmouth Road Race passed away, Tommy Leonard. I guess he was a bartender and challenged to runners to run from his bar to the bar down the street, 7 miles away, which was the impetus for the Falmouth Road Race.

Rest in Peace, Tommy!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...NNK/story.html
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #3346
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone had an abdominal strain from running?

I remember back before Christmas I was pushing it a little too hard and felt a stinger in my hip flexor. I shrugged it off and kept going. Few days later I could barely stand up because of a sharp shooting pain in my lower abs. I took some time off during Christmas and it felt fine but now that I'm back in lifting weights it's still flaring up. I know it's not a hernia but damn, I don't know what to do about this.
    Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #3347
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

week 1 done

mon- 8mi on the treadmill, with 4 miles at 7.4
    tues-rest
    wed- 4 mi
    thurs- upper body, core, hip
    fri- 9 miles
    sat- rest
    sun- 12 mi, 9:14 pace

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    The founder of the Falmouth Road Race passed away, Tommy Leonard. I guess he was a bartender and challenged to runners to run from his bar to the bar down the street, 7 miles away, which was the impetus for the Falmouth Road Race.

Rest in Peace, Tommy!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...NNK/story.html
    never knew that
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Anyone had an abdominal strain from running?

I remember back before Christmas I was pushing it a little too hard and felt a stinger in my hip flexor. I shrugged it off and kept going. Few days later I could barely stand up because of a sharp shooting pain in my lower abs. I took some time off during Christmas and it felt fine but now that I'm back in lifting weights it's still flaring up. I know it's not a hernia but damn, I don't know what to do about this.
    still bothering you?

i think i had an abdominal strain a few years ago when i was doing twisting core exercises. i had to stop exercising for a little bit and it healed itself
    Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 AM   #3348
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I think I have a stress fracture...fuck.

Marathon in 10 weeks, worst timing.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2019, 03:30 AM   #3349
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I think I have a stress fracture...fuck.

Marathon in 10 weeks, worst timing.
    oh no. where's the fracture? wish you a speedy recovery
    Old 03-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #3350
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Been having some groin/lower abdominal pain since last December. Took some time off and got back to weightlifting in January only to be forced to stop because the pain was so bad I couldn't stand up at work.

Started seeing a doctor who thought it was something digestive related and now three months later I got an MRI yesterday. The radiologist thought it was some kind of labrum tear but he was just speculating.

I take my images to my sports medicine doctor this afternoon to get a diagnosis. Although I don't want a tear, at this point, I just want answers.
    Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #3351
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I'm sorry. Injuries are terrible. I hurt my hamstring in August, stopped running for half of October-February and am still not back to normal.

Hopefully you get some good answers and you're not laid up for a long time.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #3352
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Been having some groin/lower abdominal pain since last December. Took some time off and got back to weightlifting in January only to be forced to stop because the pain was so bad I couldn't stand up at work.

Started seeing a doctor who thought it was something digestive related and now three months later I got an MRI yesterday. The radiologist thought it was some kind of labrum tear but he was just speculating.

I take my images to my sports medicine doctor this afternoon to get a diagnosis. Although I don't want a tear, at this point, I just want answers.
    Wow, that sucks. Have they ruled out a hernia?
    Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #3353
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

MRI came back and I do have a labrum tear in my hip. He said this was the result of having a retroverted hip, which is basically my femur is in the hip joint all funky and causes an impingement which led to my labrum tearing.

I'm going to start PT next week and get anesthesia injection in 2 weeks. He's got me on some anti-inflammatories for the time being.

All that said, I think my running days are over. He told me the surgery to correct the retroverted hip is pretty involved and large. I'm looking to avoid that and maintain my labrum as much as possible since this will probably eventually cause some arthritis. Really sucks because I'd plan to train for the St. Jude marathon this year but I don't see that happening anymore.
    Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #3354
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Can anyone recommend a good pair of running shoes? I hear nothing but great things about Brooks, but I have no idea where to begin with the million options.

According to the getting your foot wet and making a footprint test, I have pretty high arches and am fairly confident I probably supinate some.
    Old 04-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #3355
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    MRI came back and I do have a labrum tear in my hip. He said this was the result of having a retroverted hip, which is basically my femur is in the hip joint all funky and causes an impingement which led to my labrum tearing.

I'm going to start PT next week and get anesthesia injection in 2 weeks. He's got me on some anti-inflammatories for the time being.

All that said, I think my running days are over. He told me the surgery to correct the retroverted hip is pretty involved and large. I'm looking to avoid that and maintain my labrum as much as possible since this will probably eventually cause some arthritis. Really sucks because I'd plan to train for the St. Jude marathon this year but I don't see that happening anymore.
    Read this a couple days ago and just don't know what to say other than that sucks. Such a bummer when something 100% out of your control is what derails something you enjoy doing. Is running totally out or just long distance? Hopefully PT helps and you can maybe still run a little.
    Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #3356
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good pair of running shoes? I hear nothing but great things about Brooks, but I have no idea where to begin with the million options.

According to the getting your foot wet and making a footprint test, I have pretty high arches and am fairly confident I probably supinate some.
    My recommendation would be to go to a running store and get fitted, and if they have a treadmill a running/stride assessment. That way you find out exactly what style of shoes you need and can explore the brands that offer that style. Most stores will allow you to also 'test drive' the shoes either on the treadmill or for a quick run around the block. You will know pretty quickly how a show feels and if you like it or not.
    Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #3357
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My recommendation would be to go to a running store and get fitted, and if they have a treadmill a running/stride assessment. That way you find out exactly what style of shoes you need and can explore the brands that offer that style. Most stores will allow you to also 'test drive' the shoes either on the treadmill or for a quick run around the block. You will know pretty quickly how a show feels and if you like it or not.
    Yeah, I've thought about that. There's a shop right by my apartment that does fittings, so maybe I'll go just in. I've always just kind of bought shoes for running without giving it a ton of thought, and chalk up any pain to not running a lot. I'm only running 15 miles at most per week, as I'm more of a cyclist and just use running to cross train, but I guess getting a proper shoe is beneficial in the long haul.
    Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #3358
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Yeah, I've thought about that. There's a shop right by my apartment that does fittings, so maybe I'll go just in. I've always just kind of bought shoes for running without giving it a ton of thought, and chalk up any pain to not running a lot. I'm only running 15 miles at most per week, as I'm more of a cyclist and just use running to cross train, but I guess getting a proper shoe is beneficial in the long haul.
    You mention you are a cyclist and I am sure you know how crucial it is to have the proper setup and fit on bike to ensure there are no issues. Same goes for running, especially if you are upping miles. Getting a shoe that properly supports your body when you run is crucial to longevity and injury prevention. Some runners can just buy whatever and go, while other runners need a certain style (motion control, natural, etc...) to ensure proper support when running. Personally, I have been running in the same brand and style of shoe for over 12 years. Outside of two small issues during that time, I have run with no issues. *knocks on wood*

Last edited by whodat; 04-03-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #3359
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Read this a couple days ago and just don't know what to say other than that sucks. Such a bummer when something 100% out of your control is what derails something you enjoy doing. Is running totally out or just long distance? Hopefully PT helps and you can maybe still run a little.
    TBD. I'm setting myself up to be done but I'm going to put in the time with the PT and see what the doc says on my return visit next month. Hopefully I'm not done but we'll see. If anything I may just get the surgery, rehab this year and go for it next year.
    Old 04-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #3360
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Excited that I can finally post in this thread! I started running for the first time since High School this week! Did 2.5 miles in just under 24 minutes yesterday. My goal is to be able to reach around an 18-20 minute 3 mile run. Going to be fun trying to reach that goal!
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote