Ultimate Fighting/MMA - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #31
giantsfan

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ultimate Fighting/MMA

my old wrestling coach was an ultimate fighter
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #32
    jmhawk1
    matthew

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

here's my old employee!

http://yankton.net/stories/040106/sp...60401001.shtml
    jmhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #33
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
    this is gonna be awesome

wow i didn't realize how much ortiz kicked the shit out of shamrock until they showed those highlights
    Shamrock was fighting with torn ligaments in his knee though.

Ken is washed up, but he is way cooler that Tito.

My early favorites:
    Michael Busping (the Australian)
    Matt Hamnil (deaf guy)
    The black guy on Shamrocks team
    Old 04-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #34
    FrankTheTank
    i <3 jessica simpson

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

i hope the guy that got his eyebrow shaved gets his shit kicked in.

preferably by the crazy redhead, who then proceeds to get destroyed by someone else.
    FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #35
    giantsfan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmhawk1
    didn't get anything
    giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #36
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just getting into UFC. I've watched a few random Unleashed shows over the past year, the finale of Ultimate Fighter (was shocked to see Shamrock get his ass handed to him... I had forgotten how old he was), and I caught the premier of season 3 of Ultimate Fighter.

My biggest complaint is that there seem to be too many fighters and no way to really get to know them. My understanding is that the only shows on Spike are Unleashed, which are actually old matches, and Ultimate Fighter. I think the UFC needs to take a cue from professional wrestling and have a weekly live show, which would give newcomers like me a chance to really get to know these guys and see them on a regular basis. I can't/won't shell out the money for the PPV's, so it's a little tough to get into it. Any recommendations?

As for Ultimate Fighter 3, my favorites are the deaf guy and the crazy redheaded guy.
    SteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #37
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteelerMan
    I'm just getting into UFC. I've watched a few random Unleashed shows over the past year, the finale of Ultimate Fighter (was shocked to see Shamrock get his ass handed to him... I had forgotten how old he was), and I caught the premier of season 3 of Ultimate Fighter.

My biggest complaint is that there seem to be too many fighters and no way to really get to know them. My understanding is that the only shows on Spike are Unleashed, which are actually old matches, and Ultimate Fighter. I think the UFC needs to take a cue from professional wrestling and have a weekly live show, which would give newcomers like me a chance to really get to know these guys and see them on a regular basis. I can't/won't shell out the money for the PPV's, so it's a little tough to get into it. Any recommendations?

As for Ultimate Fighter 3, my favorites are the deaf guy and the crazy redheaded guy.

I have been a solid fan for about 5 or 6 years now. So I have become attached to quite a few guys. Once you start following it, you will pick out your favorites from each weight class and hook on to a few guys.

My favorite of all time is Randy Couture. Native Oklahoman and a great.
    Current favorite is Matt Hughes. Iowa farmboy that is unstoppable.

The you have guys like Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Anrdei Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Georges St. Pierre, Evan Tanner and so on...

Check out Knockouts 1,2 and 3. Or pick up a UFC PPV on DVD at Blockbuster. Get one with a couple of big name fights on it.

It is sort of like boxing. It isn't like WWF because guys have to train for each fight. They spend a month or two preparing for a title fight or whatnot. Keep in mind, this is REAL stuff, unlike the WWF.

When you watch a PPV, get 10 or 15 friends over, split the cost and watch it as a group. UFC Fight nights are huge events for me and my friends.
    Old 04-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #38
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

The biggest fight of the year so far will take place next week. Sylvia vs Arlovski should be a very exciting fight to watch. I like Forrest but he doesn't stand a chance against Ortiz. That Royce Gracie fight should be interesting as well because you are looking at two of the best grapplers in the MMA world. I wonder what the over/under is for punches thrown for that fight?
    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
    FACHEBLOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #39
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

The UFC has gained a ton of popularity, but Pride is still very awesome. Pride has some of the WORLD'S best. The UFC doesn't bring all of those in.

Arlovski will tear Sylvia up I think. And I have a feeling the Griffin is going to give Tito a run.
    Old 04-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #40
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HolyCow
    The UFC has gained a ton of popularity, but Pride is still very awesome. Pride has some of the WORLD'S best. The UFC doesn't bring all of those in.

Arlovski will tear Sylvia up I think. And I have a feeling the Griffin is going to give Tito a run.

PRIDE is alright. If you want to compare who's got the better fighters, it's the UFC. Case in point. Mark Coleman, did alright in UFC, got emabarassignly knocked out by a kick to the face, goes to PRIDE and wins their first Grand Prix. Comes back to UFC, loses, and is never heard from again. Also, Jeremy Horn. Dude got knocked out left and right at every fight in the UFC. Goes to PRIDE, makes a name for himself, comes back to UFC, gets knocked out in the first round. PRIDE also signs UFC throw-aways, like Tank Abbott, Vitor Belfor, and Phil Baroni. I'm not saying PRIDE doesn't have good fighters, it's just the cream of the crop is in UFC.
    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #41
    Hudak-Budak
    Asshole.

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I watched a Pride PPV a few months ago and was bored to tears. I forget which one it was, but 3/4 of it were the guys wrapping up on the mat, not moving, and having to be broken up. I fast-forwarded through almost half of it.

Censorship is a cancer.
    Hudak-Budak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #42
    Alazais
    Troy For Mayor

My Tour Central Stats

I was training for the Worlds Martial Arts Tourney in 07. Fell out about a year ago and it now seems a pipe dream.. But I love watching UFC they sure can fight.
    Alazais is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #43
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FACHEBLOOTZ
    PRIDE is alright. If you want to compare who's got the better fighters, it's the UFC. Case in point. Mark Coleman, did alright in UFC, got emabarassignly knocked out by a kick to the face, goes to PRIDE and wins their first Grand Prix. Comes back to UFC, loses, and is never heard from again. Also, Jeremy Horn. Dude got knocked out left and right at every fight in the UFC. Goes to PRIDE, makes a name for himself, comes back to UFC, gets knocked out in the first round. PRIDE also signs UFC throw-aways, like Tank Abbott, Vitor Belfor, and Phil Baroni. I'm not saying PRIDE doesn't have good fighters, it's just the cream of the crop is in UFC.
    I think the UFC is the absolute best, don't get me wrong. But Pride has some solid fighters (Rampage Jackson, Krokop, Vanderlay Silva.)
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #44
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudak-Budak
    I watched a Pride PPV a few months ago and was bored to tears. I forget which one it was, but 3/4 of it were the guys wrapping up on the mat, not moving, and having to be broken up. I fast-forwarded through almost half of it.
    They do have some good fighters. Fedor Emelianko, Wanderlei Silva is bad ass, Ouintin Jackson, Marco Cro-cop. They were going to do a best of UFC vs Pride, and it was almost a done deal till it all fell apart. If either side would have lost that night, it would look bad for the losing company so it was squashed.
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #45
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think the UFC is the absolute best, don't get me wrong. But Pride has some solid fighters (Rampage Jackson, Krokop, Vanderlay Silva.)

HA HA. I was just giving those dudes their respect. They are good fighters. I would like to see Silva come to the ufc. Jackson was suppose to come and fight Liddell but that never panned out.
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #46
    Hudak-Budak
    Asshole.

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I do like Wanderlei Silva, but I didn't see enough in that one PPV to get me to come back and watch again.

Censorship is a cancer.
    Hudak-Budak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #47
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone ever know why Asian fighters never do well in the UFC? There has never been a dominate asian UFC fighter. You think it's because they don't pack on enough muscle? Training? I know Royce Gracie wasn't built and he beat up a lot of people, but he also made his name in the UFC when all they had was half-ass fighters, shamrock not included. Oh and Kimo, but that's debatable.
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #48
    malonestar
    mises.org

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

You need to watch this: http://www.johnheffron.com/html/av/av.html
    malonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #49
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does anyone ever know why Asian fighters never do well in the UFC? There has never been a dominate asian UFC fighter. You think it's because they don't pack on enough muscle? Training? I know Royce Gracie wasn't built and he beat up a lot of people, but he also made his name in the UFC when all they had was half-ass fighters, shamrock not included. Oh and Kimo, but that's debatable.
    That is a really good question. Tsuyoshi Kosaka was ok...

I think it because they don't fight with any braun. They are too flashy, and don't scrap enough.
    Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #50
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That is a really good question. Tsuyoshi Kosaka was ok...

I think it because they don't fight with any braun. They are too flashy, and don't scrap enough.
    Caol Uno had a promising career in the UFC....until he fough BJ Penn. That was one of the greatest KO's I've ever seen in the UFC. That and the time Ortiz broke Evan Tanner's jaw in AC. I was there and they did a tight close-up on his face when he got knocked out and you could see his jaw was broke. When his face came up on the screen, the whole crowd let out one big collective "DAMN!!" HA HA HA.
    Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #51
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Caol Uno had a promising career in the UFC....until he fough BJ Penn. That was one of the greatest KO's I've ever seen in the UFC. That and the time Ortiz broke Evan Tanner's jaw in AC. I was there and they did a tight close-up on his face when he got knocked out and you could see his jaw was broke. When his face came up on the screen, the whole crowd let out one big collective "DAMN!!" HA HA HA.
    The Uno knockout is so funny, because Caol goes out after like the second punch. And Penn is just drilling him and Uno's hair is flopping around.
    Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #52
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Uno knockout is so funny, because Caol goes out after like the second punch. And Penn is just drilling him and Uno's hair is flopping around.

Shouldn't have tried that flying bullshit against someone like Penn. And then Penn just hopped the fence and ran back to the dressing rooms. Classic.
    Old 04-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #53
    dmbphan041
    ISO

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

which do you prefer? Pride or UFC
    dmbphan041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #54
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

UFC, no doubt. Pride is great, but UFC is like the Big Leagues and PRIDE is Triple A.
    Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #55
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Georges St. Pierre's the man! Started watching a year ago, and I've been downloading alot of matches -- including UFC 1,2,3 etc. I'm just glad they put on some gloves and cleaned up some of the craziest rules. The matches ended way too fast in the early days from what I've seen.

Did anyone see the Rich Franklin type profile episode recently on Spike? Forgot the name of the new show, but it lets fans get to know the fighters better, where they follow them through a whole day of training and goofin' around. Franklin was first up, and his training program was fucking nuts!

Anyway, good to see a MMA-thread on the forum.

Last edited by MoBb; 04-13-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    MoBb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #56
    SteelerMan
    Who dey? We dey!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoBb
    I've been downloading alot of matches -- including UFC 1,2,3 etc.
    Where do you download these? And is it legal?
    SteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #57
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteelerMan
    Where do you download these? And is it legal?
    Probably not legal, but it's TV-rips for the most part, so I really couldn't care less. But you might want to be a bit more careful though, considering your location. They're just going after the big fish over here. For now..

www.thepiratebay.com
    www.torrentspy.com
    www.mininova.org

uhm, just use www.torrents.to - which should cover it.
    Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #58
    FrankTheTank
    i <3 jessica simpson

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

i can't wait for ultimate fighter tonight

from the previews it looks like the deaf kid might be fighting tonight
    FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #59
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
    i can't wait for ultimate fighter tonight

from the previews it looks like the deaf kid might be fighting tonight
    I hope he wins too.
    Old 04-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #60
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

DISCLAIMER: We both know this will never happen, it was just and idea.

My best friend and I developed a new system for the UFC. It goes by basically college wrestling standards.

Take each camp, (Lion's Den, Team Quest, Militich, American Top Team and so on...) and form a league. Then schedule it like the NFL. Each week, you fight another camp, slotting in your top man at each weight. Your best lightwight, middleweight, heavyweight etc...

You'd score 4 points for a victory, 6 for a unanimous decision, and 8 for a TKO or submission.

Of course they will be injuries and fatigue, so that is where solid backups would be important. Then, at the end of the year, the top 4 teams advance to the playoffs. Also, the top 4 guys from each class (best season records) would also advance to an individual playoffs.

Individual playoffs would be two weeks after team so that guys could have a chance to recover.

The purpose of this would be to get the UFC a more league type thing and hopefully score a major TV contract and get on weekly.

I know it won't ever happen, just an idea we were messing with.