the (2021) summer so far - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #91
Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
I can’t see how anyone could possibly be discouraged by two shows that featured new songs, rarities, the return to form on some tunes, and a tight sounding band that hasn’t really played together in 16 months. Based on the fact that they played Sweet, If Only, You and Me and closed a show with Shake Me? The fact that the sets looked as diverse as they did should be nothing more than encouraging. After those two shows I’m confident we’ll get our Dreaming Trees and Busted Stuffs down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
Ants wanted the band to play slower, change the format of songs, have more setlist diversity, bring back the 3rd verse on Grey Street, stop playing certain songs in the same spots, etc.

Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
It's been two shows after nearly 1.5 years off. Ain't no need getting worried yet. Beside at this point if you have high expectations for htis band you're getting yourself setup for disappinment.

2/45 shows complete and people are saying this tour is fucked and that these shows weren't diverse enough is just...well par for the Ants course I guess. Ridiculous mindset, especially how tight they've sounded + a ton of the boxes checked that we as a hardcore fanbase have been demanding for years IN ONLY 2 shows.
I will when I can
Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #92
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I like extended outro on Sweet from 7.23
    Old 07-25-2021, 08:40 PM   #93
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoolhearted View Post
    Before i start: Fan since 02, first show 2007.

I've said this before on these boards, and I'll say it again now... One of the best things you can do for yourself as a DMB fan is take a break from seeing this band live. I saw shows consistenly from 2007 - 2015. I did a five show stretch of tour in 2012. Saw one show in '13, '14, and '15. Then I stopped. I saw other bands. Lots of other bands.

I was in Raleigh on Friday night, and it was a fantastic show. The energy was unreal, the crowd was great. The playing was tight as fuck all around. Buddy adds a much needed dimension to this band. (I love Boyd, and will never besmirch his contributions to this band). Seen Branford on LLD twice (2010, and 2021) and Friday night was absolutely incredible. To see anyone that Jerry Garcia gave the nod to play with DMB is a treat and a half.

After 6 years of no shows (and just listening to the highlights here and there), Friday night was impeccable.

If you're waiting for 2021 DMB to sound like 1998 DMB you're wasting your time. Take a break and come back. You'll fall in love all over again.
    This is more what I was going for in this thread- post Gorge '14, I've only seen one show since ('19) and am as excited as ever to see them later this summer. I've never remotely streamed 2 shows back to back like I did this weekend- proving that this could be the most interested I've ever been in this band.

By no means was I hoping to judge this tour off of 2 shows. Just trying to gauge the general vibe after the opening weekend and I appreciate everyone's input. Lot of positive comments here which is awesome. Yes, last night was BW heavy but Raven, YNK, WTWE, SUAD- wow.

I believe it was Mike who said Sweet jam could have been the weekend highlight- not crazy, it might have been my favorite part too.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but at the end of the day, just stoked to see them live this summer and hopeful I'm able to get some solid concerts throughout the 2020's since I was learning how to walk when this band was putting themselves on the map.

DIDO reference on SportsCenter as I'm writing this, gotta love it. Cheers to everyone for the input and happy for those who got to experience opening weekend.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #94
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Raven from last night? Personally thought it was one of the best versions I’ve heard in years.
    phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #95
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phatpig View Post
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on Raven from last night? Personally thought it was one of the best versions I’ve heard in years.
    Just listened and completely agree!
    Old 07-25-2021, 10:34 PM   #96
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

You Never Know, SUAD, and Raven are three songs that I have constantly read should be played a lot more since I joined these boards. There is definitely progress being made in Dave's setlist writing. He is definitely trying to play a little something for everyone, and honestly, why wouldn't he? That's his job .
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 PM   #97
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Not including the new songs, 24/38 songs (63%) were repeats from the first two shows of 2019. The band is notorious for playing a couple rarities out of the gate, and then shelving them the rest of the tour.

The start of this tour is not unique/progress at all. It's pretty much the same thing...different year.

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-25-2021 at 11:26 PM.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #98
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TurboPGT View Post
    they literally sound the worst they have sounded in a long time, because every day that goes by we get further away from the last time they sounded good, so now every day is the worst they’ve ever sounded.
    This is an insane argument. They've passed their peak so now they MUST get worse every single day? So the first show of every tour is the best and the last show is always the worst?
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #99
    BTBaboon

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Not including the new songs, 24/38 songs (63%) were repeats from the first two shows of 2019. The band is notorious for playing a couple rarities out of the gate, and then shelving them the rest of the tour.

The start of this tour is not unique/progress at all. It's pretty much the same thing...different year.
    Some more data:

Of the 38 songs played, 23 (61%) had 10 or more plays in the 2019 summer tour (46 shows). 8 songs (21%) had more 20 or more plays in the 2019 summer tour.

Of the 38 songs played, 23 (61%) have been played 20 or more times across the last 2 summer tours (2018 & 2019) combined (103 shows). 15 (39%) had been played 30 or more times across the last 2 summer tours. 10 songs (26%) had less than 10 plays across the last 2 summer tours. SUAD, Sweet, and If Only had 0 plays across the last 2 summer tours - SUAD was played twice in 2020, but I'm only counting the last 2 full summer tours for comparison.

23 of the songs (61%) over the first two night were played in at-least 20% of the shows across the last 2 summer tours. Bayou, DDTW, and DYR have been played at more than 50% of the shows over the last 2 summer tours.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 07-26-2021 at 05:56 AM.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #100
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    You Never Know, SUAD, and Raven are three songs that I have constantly read should be played a lot more since I joined these boards. There is definitely progress being made in Dave's setlist writing. He is definitely trying to play a little something for everyone, and honestly, why wouldn't he? That's his job .
    Lets revisit later on when the tour is longer than 5 min old. This band has shown that these songs will prob be 1-5 plays a tour while you and me goes every other night.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #101
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Lets revisit later on when the tour is longer than 5 min old. This band has shown that these songs will prob be 1-5 plays a tour while you and me goes every other night.
    It’s so bizarre that people don’t get this, or think things drastically change year to year with setlists.

And to your point, first show of 2019 got Raven and BOWA (3 & 4 plays all tour).

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #102
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    I like extended outro on Sweet from 7.23
    I had a tough time enjoying Raleigh overall...had just come off the Wilmington Widespread run the weekend prior. A very different energy between those two bands right now. Talk about tight songs mixed with deep jamming..WSP are on one right now

But Sweet and So Damn Lucky clicked for me. That type of jamming differentiates DMB from jam bands. It's patient, it's honest, it's vulnerable. And to me, it's DMB at its best.

Last edited by BearambleAmble; 07-26-2021 at 06:26 AM. Reason: gram
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #103
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I guess I'll just never understand setlist analysis and actually making judgements of show quality based on it. Especially if you're not there. Just a complete waste of time.

Concerts and performances are something that need to be experienced. Your mind and body feed off the energy of the crowd and the environment. A You and Me with your buddies in Charlotte after passing around a joint is not the same as a You and Me at Alpine after having beers with your spouse.

It's like reading the Wikipedia entry of a movie and saying "wow that movie sucked." If you can make a judgement of experience by simply reading a setlist, then there's actually no point in ever attending a concert again.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:45 AM   #104
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    I guess I'll just never understand setlist analysis and actually making judgements of show quality based on it. Especially if you're not there. Just a complete waste of time.

Concerts and performances are something that need to be experienced. Your mind and body feed off the energy of the crowd and the environment. A You and Me with your buddies in Charlotte after passing around a joint is not the same as a You and Me at Alpine after having beers with your spouse.

It's like reading the Wikipedia entry of a movie and saying "wow that movie sucked." If you can make a judgement of experience by simply reading a setlist, then there's actually no point in ever attending a concert again.
    Discussion on a discussion board.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #105
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We still don’t know if the sets are diverse. Two shows don’t tell you anything. Let’s see what it looks like in a few weeks.

Cool the 3rd verse is back. Best part of the song. The end jam is still a wall of noise and nobody stands out because of it
    To each their own, but as someone that has been very down on Grey Street the last 10 years or so I couldn't be happier with how it sounded on Friday. The end was so far from the wall of noise it's been. Way more control coming from Carter, and even Jeff and Rashawn. When Carter does kick it up a notch on the China cymbal he's playing with so much more dynamic that it's a much more natural progression in the intensity of the song. Whereas, the last 10 years or so he is playing every drum and cymbal he can to fill the space and then has been ending the song with that crazy cymbal/double bass roll. Now THAT is a wall of sound. For me, Grey Street is the best thing that happened all weekend.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #106
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Discussion on a discussion board.

DISCUSSION BOARD DISCLAIMER:

Person will make a point.

If you don't agree, you may make a counterpoint.

Be prepared, that person may present a counter to your counterpoint.

You may continue this back and forth.

You may not end in an agreement.

Thank you for using fandom message board!
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #107
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Isn’t that what these discussion boards on Ants are for? It’s a great time waster!

More seriously, the analysis matters when you are someone who has seen 2+ dozen shows - which I think a lot of folks here have. If you’ve seen DMB maybe a handful of times across a decade or more or whatever, sure - who cares about the sets and stats; you’re going to the concert to drink with friends and mostly use the actual concert as the backdrop to that social event.

But, if you’re into music, and you have seen a bunch of shows, the set does matter. If the sets are basically the same as 2018/2019, it should be a real question of whether you want to pay $100 for a seat to see the same show again, especially if there are other options for live music at that price point.
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #108
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Isn’t that what these discussion boards on Ants are for? It’s a great time waster!

More seriously, the analysis matters when you are someone who has seen 2+ dozen shows - which I think a lot of folks here have. If you’ve seen DMB maybe a handful of times across a decade or more or whatever, sure - who cares about the sets and stats; you’re going to the concert to drink with friends and mostly use the actual concert as the backdrop to that social event.

But, if you’re into music, and you have seen a bunch of shows, the set does matter. If the sets are basically the same as 2018/2019, it should be a real question of whether you want to pay $100 for a seat to see the same show again, especially if there are other options for live music at that price point.
    Precisely why I waited to see how things unfolded before buying a ticket for a show right up the road from me.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:52 AM   #109
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    To each their own, but as someone that has been very down on Grey Street the last 10 years or so I couldn't be happier with how it sounded on Friday. The end was so far from the wall of noise it's been. Way more control coming from Carter, and even Jeff and Rashawn. When Carter does kick it up a notch on the China cymbal he's playing with so much more dynamic that it's a much more natural progression in the intensity of the song. Whereas, the last 10 years or so he is playing every drum and cymbal he can to fill the space and then has been ending the song with that crazy cymbal/double bass roll. Now THAT is a wall of sound. For me, Grey Street is the best thing that happened all weekend.
    I think this is pretty right

A lot of the sound problems of the post Roi era have really been fixed with Boyd’s departure - mainly that Tim is no longer blaring over the skrees. Would still prefer a fiddle, and would still like Jeff to be more present. But the biggest issues on sound have not been around these past few tours.
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #110
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Precisely why I waited to see how things unfolded before buying a ticket for a show right up the road from me.
    Do they have a special section for all you centenarians at Gilford?
    Old 07-26-2021, 06:59 AM   #111
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Years ago, I started shifting my focus to venue year to year stats instead of the tour as a whole in terms of how Dave is doing with sets per stop. And his set writing looks a lot better in this light.

For Walnut Creek (Raleigh):

-Only 5 songs repeated from the 2019 show
    -4 New Songs (Never played at Raleigh) - Walk Around The Moon, The Ocean and the Butterfly, Singing From The Windows, Do You Remember
    -First since 1995 - Minarets
    -First since 2002 - Grey St w/ 3rd verse
    -First since 2008 - Louisiana Bayou
    -First since 2009 - You Might Die Trying
    -First since 2014 - Sweet
    -First since 2015 - #41, Warehouse, So Damn Lucky, Lover Lay Down, What Would You Say, Stay
    -3rd time #41 has opened a show there (4th if you count the electric set in 2015).
    -3rd Stay set closer
    -1st Why I Am show closer
    -2nd time ever played there - Minarets, Sweet
    -3rd time ever played there - Hello Again, Why I Am

Charlotte Venue Stats:
    -only 4 repeates from the 2019 show
    -Never played at Charlotte - Sweet Up and Down, Walk Around the Moon, Singing From The Windows
    -1st since 2000 - Raven
    -1st since 2007 - When the World Ends
    -1st since 2009 - Where Are You Going
    -1st since 2010 - Lying in the Hands of God
    -1st since 2013 - You and Me, Shake Me Like A Monkey
    -1st since 2014 - Satellite, You Never Know, Space Between
    -1st since 2015 - Anyone Seen the Bridge, Too Much
    -1st since 2016 - Seek Up, Squirm, If Only, Seven
    -4th time Seek Up has opened
    -1st time Tripping Billies as a set closer
    -2nd time Shake Me Like a Monkey show closer
    -2nd time ever - You Never Know, Lying in the Hands of God, Raven, Space Between
    -3rd time ever - You and Me, If Only, Shake Me Like a Monkey
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #112
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't care about setlist discussion. Talking about how they played XYZ and they haven't played it in how long isn't an issue to me. Looking at a setlist of a show you didn't actually experience and saying the show was good or bad or criticizing the band is what I'll never understand.

And if you are there to experience it, and the setlist had a negative effect on your experience, that's a personal issue. I've seen the band at least twice a year over the last decade at 10+ venues and never once have I left the show even thinking about setlist quality.

Different strokes, I guess.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #113
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    never once have I left the show even thinking about setlist quality.

Different strokes, I guess.
    Yup, different strokes - and I’m super happy for the folks that enjoy it

It’s not a knock on those who can enjoy it when we talk and analyze set and are critical. I feel sometimes it’s taken that way.
    Old 07-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #114
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Listened to about half of Friday nights show, then switched back to the yacht rock. I guess that's just where I'm at now. I just can't do it without a violin, nor don't I have any interest in what buddy or rashawn does up there.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #115
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do they have a special section for all you centenarians at Gilford?
    P1 baby!
    https://www.banknhpavilion.com/image...ngChart_OL.pdf
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #116
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not ashamed to say that Bayou is one of my favorite DMB songs and I'm glad it is still in rotation.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #117
    Bernie41
    2022 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I'm not ashamed to say that Bayou is one of my favorite DMB songs and I'm glad it is still in rotation.
    My sister is the same way. She loves the song live. Different strokes for different folks.
    Bernie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #118
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I thought about the setlist in Charlotte while waiting for 2 hours in the parking lot to leave the amphitheater. It was very strange, no songs outside of an opening Seek Up really went into lengthy, airy jams. But in the end, I will never complain about a setlist that includes Seek Up, SUAD, YNK, Raven, LITHOG and some others that I really like.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #119
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bernie41 View Post
    My sister is the same way. She loves the song live. Different strokes for different folks.
    My buddy joined us for Deer Creek a few years ago. He's not a DMB fan, but a big live music fan. He said Bayou was his favorite song the whole weekend. I've always liked it a decent amount, but I started seeing shows in '09 so wasn't there when it appeared to have been played to death starting in '05.

I think this weekend's sets were really strong. New songs, rarities, and then some stuff we've been seeing the last few years. I'm not going to a show expecting BTCS to be played cover to cover. I like Big Whiskey so didn't mind seeing those songs in there. I think LITHOG is the best 4.0 song.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #120
    zrroot

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

After two shows I'd say they're doing pretty well, more interested to see what a two night stand looks like
    zrroot is offline   Reply With Quote