Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #31
prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
My recollection is that there is no actual video circulating that shows the trench coat guy. Is that correct?

Pretty sure there's a fan shot video from side stage that you can see him, its not great footage though.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #32
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u70qbbjSVN0

around 1:45 you can see security fighting with him behind carter.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #33
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGIG15 View Post

Credit to Xcacel for putting out this idea in the "Random dmb thoughts" thread!
    Thanks to OP for the credit and for making this thread real. Just discovered it by chance

I think I am going to write/read a lot on this thread, in the next weeks.
    Old 03-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #34
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Pretty sure there's a fan shot video from side stage that you can see him, its not great footage though.
    Here's a better one. I edited and posted it i guess after you quoted me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTphPMl3NKE
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #35
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My recollection is that there is no actual video circulating that shows the trench coat guy. Is that correct?

Nvm, found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTphPMl3NKE
    Quote:

ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #36
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Oh wow. I’ve seen the Carter pissed off video but Ive never seen the correlating trench coat video. I’ve heard several references made to the trench coat guy in my time on ants but I never knew they were part of the same episode. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #37
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 View Post
    Oh wow. I’ve seen the Carter pissed off video but Ive never seen the correlating trench coat video. I’ve heard several references made to the trench coat guy in my time on ants but I never knew they were part of the same episode. Thanks for sharing.
    I want to hear the IEM
    Curious as to what he was pissed about, the fact the guy got on stage, that he got so close, whatever
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #38
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    I want to hear the IEM
    Curious as to what he was pissed about, the fact the guy got on stage, that he got so close, whatever
    My very subpar lip-reading skills tell me that at least twice he says "What the fuck-" and then more. My guess is he's yelling at whoever is listening to yell at venue security and maybe Daryl as head of DMB security? He's looking off in the other direction so - oh, maybe the Stage Manager/Production Manager for DMB? Either yelling that they screwed up or they need to find out who at the venue screwed up?

Just guesses...
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 07:05 PM   #39
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Damn - Have never seen this angle and actually seen trenchcoat man. Nice job.
    Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #40
    theGIG15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Thanks to OP for the credit and for making this thread real. Just discovered it by chance

I think I am going to write/read a lot on this thread, in the next weeks.
    theGIG15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #41
    theGIG15

My Tour Central Stats

Here’s another one - copy/paste from a TDC post I came across a few months back:

“I think what's more interesting was the supposed rift between Dave and Tim. Between '99 and '03, I'm not sure what exactly sparked it, some rumors of Dave just dropping communication with Tim, the band not wanting Tim during the LWS or the ED sessions and Tim taking it as a sleight from Dave himself, supposedly a '00 D&T tour was in the works and Dave never reached out to Tim to let him know it was off rather management reaching out and Tim felt like his friend was distancing himself from him, a few other rumors that were never fully proven. Then, on Tim's live DVD "Chaos View" which was recorded in April '02, there is some backstage footage of Tim and the camera operator taking jabs at Dave.

It was just so weird because the actual DVD wasn't released until the beginning of 2003 when Tim was in the studio with Dave recording Some Devil. Fans didn't really know what to make of it and people assumed the two just made some quick amends by just being in the same room and clearing the air a bit. Then by the time the D&T tour was happening the DVD was no longer available on Tim's site. A lot of that could just easily be coincidence since the D&T tour was announced that fans were excited about D&T touring again and people just shopping for Tim merch and the DVD had sold out. However...the DVD was once again available in 2004, but it was missing the backstage footage. And because of that there was speculation that Tim's people were contacted by DMB management and asked to re-issue the DVD and edit out the backstage Dave banter as it didn't really look good publicity-wise.

A LOT of this was never really proven. Just some interesting coincidences or some truth? Who knows.”

There’s some really interesting discussion about it in the thread here: http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/sho...4629&page=1381
    Old 03-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #42
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Things I didn't know about Dave Matthews Band

Since we are speaking of Carter... A couple of things I didn’t know about Carter

The Babysitter Story
    Most of the people already know that Carter’s passion for drumming started at the age of 3, when he was taken by his father to watch Buddy Rich perform. He grew up in a household full of music. Everything from jazz, gospel to the Beatles was played.
    So, his father was going to a Buddy Rich concert, but he couldn't find a babysitter for young Carter. His only solution was to take Carter with him. From the moment Carter laid eyes and ears upon Buddy Rich, he was enthralled and facinated with Rich.

Carter speaks about that is “Under the Table and Drumming” (check it here).
    Upon hearing his son's playing, Carter's father was impressed and bought him a Roy Rogers drum kit made with paper heads and tin shells. This was all Carter needed.

Ambidexterity
    Carter plays Open-Handed, we all know that, but he is also ambidextrous. The story of its ambidexterity is quite interesting (source here)

When he was just starting out, Carter Beauford would set his drum kit as a mirror image of the ones played by the drummers he watched on TV. He wasn’t concerned about leading with his stronger hand, but rather in playing like the guys he watched. So he would set the snare and hi-hat by the right side of the bass drum, while leading with the left hand crossed over the right hand. This led him to the strong development of his weaker side. As time went by, he started noticing that most of the drummers played in a reversed position from his, that is, with the hi-hat and snare on the left side of the bass drum, while leading with the right hand over the left. Since he preferred that look over the one he add with the lefty drum set, he decided to switch over, which lead him to the development of the right side of his body also. As you may imagine, this resulted in Carter achieving one of the holy grails of drumming, ambidexterity. At the time, Carter thought that ambidexterity was something common to every drummer, which as we all know, it’s something that is actually pretty rare.
    One of the main issues young drummers have when starting out is the lack of strength and control over their weakest limbs. Pursuing ambidexterity is desirable since it’ll not only give you a lot of freedom while you play, but will also help you in further developing your weaker side, acquiring some of the facilities inherent to the stronger side. Although Carter developed both sides of his body, it still felt more natural to him to play with his left hand leading. This ultimately led him to dabble around with open-handed drumming, since he liked playing on a right handed kit.
    Open-handed playing allows Carter Beaufrod’s right hand to be a “solo hand”, playing some shots on toms, cymbals, and auxiliary percussion, while the left hand plays ride patterns and the snare drum. This gave birth to another very cool concept Carter has developed primarily since he started playing with the “Dave Matthews Band” – playing percussionist’s parts on the drum set. You see, throughout his career almost every band he was in had a hand percussionist. When he began creating music with the “Dave Matthews Band”, and since there wasn’t any hand percussionist in the band, he felt the need to add some percussionist patterns with his drum set to better complement certain songs. That resulted in him adding different splash cymbals, wood blocks, cowbells, and timbales to his drum set, so he could better emulate or add some percussionist based patterns and texture.

Golf Gloves
    From the first time I saw this guy playing, I have been so fascinating by his smile, is bubble gums (not anymore) and his white gloves.
    As he explained once, is not fashion, it is just to protect his hands and to have more grip (so that he can relax his hands more).
    Carter tells the whole story here, together with some other insights about his Vic Firth sticks.
    He uses golf gloves since he was injured once, since doctors wanted him to protect the tendons on this thumb. He couldn’t play well with a brace, so one cold night in San Francisco someone gave to Carter a pair of golf gloves, and they worked great. So, he wears golf gloves every night since then.

Carter’s real age
    If it is certain that Carter’s birthday is on November 2, for a long time it was not clear Which year. Most of the sources stated that he is from 1957. However, recently Wikipedia was edited, and most probably he is from 1958. So, he will turn 63 next November.

How long will he play
    How long will be Carter playing? That’s a good question. He says something here:

I work out before the shows, then do a three- and-a-half-hour concert where I leave everything on that stage. Nothing’s guaranteed, but all we can do is our best. I try to eat right. I want to play forever. There’s no stopping for me. A lot of drummers played into their later years—Elvin Jones, Max Roach—and they were still killing it. I want to do that. I want to go as far as I can possibly go, and then some.

Last edited by Xcacel; 03-05-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #43
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here’s another one - copy/paste from a TDC post I came across a few months back:

“I think what's more interesting was the supposed rift between Dave and Tim. Between '99 and '03, I'm not sure what exactly sparked it, some rumors of Dave just dropping communication with Tim, the band not wanting Tim during the LWS or the ED sessions and Tim taking it as a sleight from Dave himself, supposedly a '00 D&T tour was in the works and Dave never reached out to Tim to let him know it was off rather management reaching out and Tim felt like his friend was distancing himself from him, a few other rumors that were never fully proven. Then, on Tim's live DVD "Chaos View" which was recorded in April '02, there is some backstage footage of Tim and the camera operator taking jabs at Dave.

It was just so weird because the actual DVD wasn't released until the beginning of 2003 when Tim was in the studio with Dave recording Some Devil. Fans didn't really know what to make of it and people assumed the two just made some quick amends by just being in the same room and clearing the air a bit. Then by the time the D&T tour was happening the DVD was no longer available on Tim's site. A lot of that could just easily be coincidence since the D&T tour was announced that fans were excited about D&T touring again and people just shopping for Tim merch and the DVD had sold out. However...the DVD was once again available in 2004, but it was missing the backstage footage. And because of that there was speculation that Tim's people were contacted by DMB management and asked to re-issue the DVD and edit out the backstage Dave banter as it didn't really look good publicity-wise.

A LOT of this was never really proven. Just some interesting coincidences or some truth? Who knows.”

There’s some really interesting discussion about it in the thread here: http://www.thesedayscontinue.org/sho...4629&page=1381
    never heard of this dvd. wonder if that portion is available on youtube at all? ive always wondered what the deal was. it would seem to me maybe the rift wasn't only (if there was a rift) between dave and tim, but someone else in the band and tim? dave and tim hooked back up in in 2003 but the only time tim did anything with the band between 98-08 was the 04 new mexico show where he played on four songs.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #44
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    I want to hear the IEM
    I'm guessing its that the guy was roaming free right behind him before cruising out past the drum riser. Dude could have made a big problem for Carter had he wanted to. I'd love to know how that guy got on/backstage to be able to cruise in from behind like that. Pretty wild given how much security I would assume they have.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #45
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I’ve been an obsessed fan of this band since 1999. This is the first I’m hearing if this.. while we all obviously don’t know everything.. I would have to believe the break from Tim with DMB was not intentional on the slightest..

I believe Tim didn’t want DMB to be his full time gig... he fight hard to not live in the road and only be doing one thing. Based on interviews with him he sounds like he enjoys variety in his gigs. From Radio City he said D and T is fun because it’s not something they do all the time... he mentioned in 08 that TR3 was able to coordinate gigs around the DMB tour and that was a big factor for him...

My other thought is money... with Dave I can’t imagine him making much of a living on his own or other bands... ever been to a TR3 show? There’s hardly any people there and I’ve been to 3.. I’m talking less than 50... one show had more members on stage than the audience.. nice treat for me and my friend but not the band... In 08 he was roughly 50.. probably wondering what the future held for him.. I would imagine if those thoughts coincided with Dave asking him to re join the band and make millions over the next 10 plus years.. that it would be a solid yes.. especially with the creative license Dave gave him essentially pushing out butch and lessening Boyd’s role in many songs..

I do think the ED sessions began tension in the band... that then led to Dave holding material for a solo album and inviting Tim into that session... but no other band members... I mean if you only consider 2000-2001... with some devil being recorded late 02 or post D and T 03 tour... that’s only a couple years he wasn’t active with Dave... 5 years 10 years maybe you’d have something...
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #46
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    Here's my offer of something none of you know, unless you knew me 20 yrs ago: I was the first person EVER to twist Jeff Coffin's beard into twists! I think I even have a photo somewhere of right after I did it the 1st time, and I don't even know if Jeff remembers that, but I suggested it, he said he'd never had it like that before, and I did it. I think I did it in a few twists, not just one, but that was roughly 20 yrs ago and it has made me smile to occaisionally see pics of him with it twisted since then.

And if anyone knows Jeff, this was obviously when he was still with Bela Fleck, ask him if he remembers a guy working on DMB's crew named Mitch (who I think did catering) because if my mind remembers correctly at all, the pic of the first twisted beard also has Mitch from catering in it.

I haven't seen Jeff since 2008 (twisted his beard in like '98) and he wouldn't remember me by name but he'd remember me by sight.

So that's the extent of my contribution to the DMB legacy
    Was just going through a bag for something, found some of my DMB pics from way back and my memory was half right, I have a pic of Jeff right after I twisted his beard for the first time ever for him (I got the main point right at least ) but he's with Butch, and then I have another pic of Mitch with Futureman taken moments later.

But here's the pic! Anyone in touch with Jeff, feel free to share it & let him know I'll be waiting for the royalties on that designer beard "look" he sported for a while there.... =)
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Jeff Coffin & Butch Taylor DMB 1998.jpg (68.8 KB, 112 views)
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 02:19 AM   #47
    rain delay

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    I'm guessing its that the guy was roaming free right behind him before cruising out past the drum riser. Dude could have made a big problem for Carter had he wanted to. I'd love to know how that guy got on/backstage to be able to cruise in from behind like that. Pretty wild given how much security I would assume they have.

Yeah, how the hell did this guy manage to stay on stage for over 3 minutes before getting kicked out?
    rain delay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #48
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

In 2009, Jake wrote an article about hearing Machead. Although most people believed his story, there were at the time some that didn't believe it was true.

The story can be found here: https://antsmarching.org/columns/column.php?columnid=71

Most people have probably read it or have seen it by now. It's not a secret.

In Jake's write up, he describes hearing several versions of the song. In describing at least one version, Jake stated that "Dave sings the majority of the song in falsetto. It features only Dave, Carter, and Stefan, with Fonz playing an upright bass. There are no real lyrics to the song, just place-holders. Dave adlibbed about a tapeworm that producer Steve Lillywhite obtained from a bad sausage."

In 2018, Matt Norlander interviewed Steve Lillywhite on all things BTCS. The interview was very detailed and released in two parts. Nearly 9 years after Jake wrote his column on Machead, and 20 years after the release of BTCS, Lillywhite remembered and joked about having a tape worm during the 1997 recording sessions - even saying that there is a version of Rapunzel in the archives where Dave sings about the tapeworm.

http://www.mattnorlander.com/norland...streets-part-1

30 minutes in (but if you've never listened to the full interview before, you DEFINITELY should - there is a part 2 as well).

Last edited by Cscottrun; 03-30-2021 at 06:05 AM.
    Old 05-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #49
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Apparently Lillywhite had an hard time at BTCS time when it was the time to put it Alanis Morissette vocals (Spoon).

https://images2.imgbox.com/e7/b6/nSl8maHS_o.jpeg
    Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #50
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Apparently Lillywhite had an hard time at BTCS time when it was the time to put it Alanis Morissette vocals (Spoon).

https://images2.imgbox.com/e7/b6/nSl8maHS_o.jpeg
    That could actually mean a lot of things. At the time, that song was quite a departure from her vocal style and may have been a polar opposite to her performing instincts. I've produced vocal sessions like that that should have been slam dunks and by the end your smashing your head into the wall when the artist leaves the room. Working an outside talent into a predetermined vision can be challenging.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #51
    theGIG15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In 2009, Jake wrote an article about hearing Machead. Although most people believed his story, there were at the time some that didn't believe it was true.

The story can be found here: https://antsmarching.org/columns/column.php?columnid=71

Most people have probably read it or have seen it by now. It's not a secret.

In Jake's write up, he describes hearing several versions of the song. In describing at least one version, Jake stated that "Dave sings the majority of the song in falsetto. It features only Dave, Carter, and Stefan, with Fonz playing an upright bass. There are no real lyrics to the song, just place-holders. Dave adlibbed about a tapeworm that producer Steve Lillywhite obtained from a bad sausage."

In 2018, Matt Norlander interviewed Steve Lillywhite on all things BTCS. The interview was very detailed and released in two parts. Nearly 9 years after Jake wrote his column on Machead, and 20 years after the release of BTCS, Lillywhite remembered and joked about having a tape worm during the 1997 recording sessions - even saying that there is a version of Rapunzel in the archives where Dave sings about the tapeworm.

http://www.mattnorlander.com/norland...streets-part-1

30 minutes in (but if you've never listened to the full interview before, you DEFINITELY should - there is a part 2 as well).
    I'll second this - this interview is a must-listen for anyone one these boards. So glad to have someone like Matt Norlander in our corner.
    Old 05-15-2021, 05:41 AM   #52
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

I didn’t know that, around 2007, Dave actually wrote a letter to the other band members, that was “ fairly final”:

https://youtu.be/oMZ6ATXYtCc

From min 5:35

Carter’s reaction to that is pretty fun.
    Old 05-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #53
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I didn’t know that, around 2007, Dave actually wrote a letter to the other band members, that was “ fairly final”:

Yeah, crazy. The way I understand it, 2007 was going to be their last tour. Something to that effect.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #54
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Wasn't Dave supposed to be making all the music for a movie soundtrack?
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #55
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

I didn’t know that “So Damn Lucky” came from an actual experience that Dave had with an almost fatal accident, but not a car accident.
    The following commentary about this song is in the Some Devil packaging: "One dead still hot summer's day I was sitting with some friends and family by a great old leaf-covered box elder in my garden. We were wondering when it might finally give up and collapse under the weight of its heavy, heavy limbs. And then, as if it were listening in on our conversation, it creaked, and cracked, and fell down right there in front of us. I'm glad no one was sleeping under it. It did, however, flatten my canoe."
    Old 10-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #56
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Today I was reading an old edition of Morgan Delancey's Step into the Light, and I learned that there has been a couple of shows of DMB and orchestra, back in time (much before that Dave did something similar with David Campbell):

Quote:
    Early in 1995, DMB and the Richmond Symphony collaborated on a major project. On the nights of February 14 and 15, these two musical enterprises held benefit concerts together at Richmond's Carpenter Center. Dave Matthews Band material was performed, and all proceeds went to Operation Smile — an international project that provides medical care to indigent children — and the William Byrd House in Richmond — a nonprofit social-service agency. John D'Earth was enlisted to arrange the scores for the orchestra, even though he'd never done such a thing before.

The project was the brainchild of Matthews and Ross Hoffman, and was about two years in the making. D'Earth was approached about it in 1994. "I always felt there was so much musical potential in Dave's songs," he remarks. I wondered if I was qualified to deal with the orchestra." D'Earth had to learn how to arrange on the computer. In preparation, he listened to Dave and Tim tapes and DMB tapes, but he knew he couldn't do the job right unless he had direct access to Dave. So Matthews worked with D'earth a couple of times, and D'Earth felt he really got some good ideas for him. "I arranged ten songs for the orchestra. I worked ten to twelve hours a day on this for a long time." He sequenced all of Dave's guitar parts. Every one of the symphony charts was written from his guitar parts. Everything was generated from those”.

Richmond symphony conductor George Manahan expressed initial concern that the music would be too simple. D'earth himself didn't know what to expect from his foray into orchestral arrangement. But it turned out well: Manahan, D'Earth, and Hoffman really got into it. "There was a good vibe," says D'earth, adding: "Il wrote some difficult music. There was some great bell-tone stuff for French horns in 'Recently.' I wrote out a huge, long jam for the strings in 'Dancing Nancies.' "

The set list for the Valentine's Day Richmond Symphony-DMB concert also included ' 'Granny," "Warehouse," l 'Typical Situation," "Lover Lay Down," 'Ints Marching," ''Lie in Our Graves, "Pay for What You Get," "Help Myself," ' 'Satellite," "Christmas Song," and ''Say Goodbye."

On February 15, the only variation was that 6" replaced ''Say Goodbye."

One fan in attendance that first night was John Athayde. He recollects: "No one knew what to expect. The first night, everyone in the audience stayed seated. The second night, I hear, everyone was dancing in the aisles. The scoring was incredible. Dave came out and sat on a stool. When they played 'Warehouse,' with an entire string section, it was a sonic blast. The whole horn section sounded so lush and beautiful. There was no jamming, because of course, you can't jam with an orchestra. The detail in every little part was so great. It was a beautiful experience."

D'earth confirms that the audience got a little bit wilder on the second night. 'Il was sitting in the front row. I was there to conduct Dave. He'd be jamming and there were 40 girls sweating and dancing all around." Otherwise happy with the project, D'earth wishes they could have had a bit more time to execute it. ill love this band and these guys. My only regret was we didn't have enough time to rehearse. I'd like to do another one."

There are no tapes of this show (taper were not allowed, only a stealth is available on DT, but the quality isn't good).

But few months ago, the amazing Copperpot got some TV News segment and about 25min of footage captured by a local television.

I have watched it and it is a fun show. No jams, of course, and sometimes the orchestra is quite hidden. Among the segments available (all the songs are interrupted, in the video), I think that the best arrangement was definitely Typical Situation, which sounds very dramatic with the orchestra behind it.

I think it is worth a watch, you'll also see Dave with a fun jacket and Carter with a dress (!).

https://youtu.be/Qj0bLeOgj1c

At the end of the video, there is a short interview of John D'Earth telling how nervous was Dave about that particular performance (I think it is pretty understandable).

Also, pretty cool, here is an old article about those two Valentine's shows at at Richmond's Carpenter Center:

https://vmi.contentdm.oclc.org/digit...04/default.png

Last edited by Xcacel; 10-16-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #57
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I wonder whose idea it was to bring in Tim. That probably saved the band.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #58
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Today I was reading an old edition of Morgan Delancey's Step into the Light, and I learned that there has been a couple of shows of DMB and orchestra, back in time (much before that Dave did something similar with David Campbell):

There are no tapes of this show (taper were not allowed, only a stealth is available on DT, but the quality isn't good).

But few months ago, the amazing Copperpot got some TV News segment and about 25min of footage captured by a local television.

I have watched it and it is a fun show. No jams, of course, and sometimes the orchestra is quite hidden. Among the segments available (all the songs are interrupted, in the video), I think that the best arrangement was definitely Typical Situation, which sounds very dramatic with the orchestra behind it.

I think it is worth a watch, you'll also see Dave with a fun jacket and Carter with a dress (!).

https://youtu.be/Qj0bLeOgj1c

At the end of the video, there is a short interview of John D'Earth telling how nervous was Dave about that particular performance (I think it is pretty understandable).

Also, pretty cool, here is an old article about those two Valentine's shows at at Richmond's Carpenter Center:

https://vmi.contentdm.oclc.org/digit...04/default.png
    You can see D'Earth, I believe, several times in the video. I know that you can see him at the end of the first row at about 16:17 with all the sheet music in front of him. I think he pops up in other parts of the video as well: https://youtu.be/Qj0bLeOgj1c?t=977
    Old 10-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #59
    nick45
    1st Time Caller

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Yeah, crazy. The way I understand it, 2007 was going to be their last tour. Something to that effect.
    I thought that was 2002 or 2003. Definitely before the CP show and Some Devil was released.
    Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #60
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't know until recently that Dave grew up in my county (Westchester)
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote