**Official Drive-By Truckers Thread** - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #31
Proudest_Raider

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Drive-By Truckers Thread**

Just watched the "Live at the 40 Watt" DVD. I'm not sure whether to be sad that we might never see Isbell, Cooley, and Hood all on the same stage again or be happy that we now have 3 times the good music out there (Isbell & the 400 unit, DBT, and Hood's solo stuff). Good dvd though..kinda rough and gritty just like their sound.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #32
    JRod1229
    GATA!

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I think they'll play again.. just needed time off. Prob co-headline a small tour, which will be great. Cooley is still my favorite however.

Carl Perkins Cadillac, ftw.

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #33
    Proudest_Raider

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRod1229 View Post
    I think they'll play again.. just needed time off. Prob co-headline a small tour, which will be great. Cooley is still my favorite however.

Hope you're right. My home town is only about an hour and 15 minutes from muscle shoals/florence, AL where these guys are from so it's really cool listening to some of the songs and knowing exactly what they're talking about. For example, Buford Pusser was the sheriff in my county back in the day. Also, my hometown is supposedly where Carl Perkins first met Elvis Presley (Carl Perkins Cadillac FTW).
    Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #34
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    Alex you might see me at the show. How much were tickets? Also for all you Trucker fans out there Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit are playing downtown on Saturday and for only $15. Hell of a deal.

Tickets are only $23 for the DBT show at Otto's. $4 service charge I think, you can order them direct from the DBT website instead of going through TM/Live Nation which is nice.

Jason Isbell is downtown tomorrow...as in downtown Chicago? I may have to hit that up as well!

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #35
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. From what I understand I don't think there was any animosity with Isbell leaving DBT, he just wanted to be able to get his own stuff out there and I think DBT supported that. I look at him as kind of the 'George Harrison' of DBT - phenomenal songwriter who would never be able to get all his stuff to light fighting for album space with the 2 leaders of the band.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #36
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Tickets are only $23 for the DBT show at Otto's. $4 service charge I think, you can order them direct from the DBT website instead of going through TM/Live Nation which is nice.

Jason Isbell is downtown tomorrow...as in downtown Chicago? I may have to hit that up as well!
    Yes as in downtown Chicago. I cannot remember the name of the bar, but it is on his website.

Quote:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. From what I understand I don't think there was any animosity with Isbell leaving DBT, he just wanted to be able to get his own stuff out there and I think DBT supported that. I look at him as kind of the 'George Harrison' of DBT - phenomenal songwriter who would never be able to get all his stuff to light fighting for album space with the 2 leaders of the band.

I wouldn't be surprised at all either. I've actually had a few conversations with Jason at concerts I have gone too. He is a really nice guy. We hung out before his show and had drinks together and then got together afterwards too for many more drinks. I asked him about DBT and he said you never know what can happen, and said there is no bad blood there between them. Patterson still speaks highly of Jason and I could see a Co-Headlining tour between the two.

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #37
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes as in downtown Chicago. I cannot remember the name of the bar, but it is on his website.

I wouldn't be surprised at all either. I've actually had a few conversations with Jason at concerts I have gone too. He is a really nice guy. We hung out before his show and had drinks together and then got together afterwards too for many more drinks. I asked him about DBT and he said you never know what can happen, and said there is no bad blood there between them. Patterson still speaks highly of Jason and I could see a Co-Headlining tour between the two.
    Wow he's gonna be at Subterranean - that place is tiny! I might have to leave the grad party I'm going to early tomorrow and go see the show.

That's awesome that you have gotten to hang out with him like that! Seems like a really approachable dude.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #38
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

So any other Ants going to the show at Otto's on July 11?

Spinning Patterson's 'Murdering Oscar (And Other Love Songs)' on vinyl - fantastic album.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #39
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Really good new interview with Patterson Hood:

http://alabamaasswhuppin.blogspot.co...rson-hood.html

Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I believed they opened for Tom Petty in Minneapolis this week. If so, I thought they were ok.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    I believed they opened for Tom Petty in Minneapolis this week. If so, I thought they were ok.
    They did. I know they are excited as all hell to be opening for TP (who wouldn't be...) but I almost feel like this is one of those places where opening for a huge arena act will hurt them more than help them. The Truckers need to be seen in a smaller venue as a headline act to really 'get' what they are all about...I just don't think playing in basketball arenas with shitty sound allows people to really hear the musical and lyrical nuances of their work.

I guess I'll be able to make a good comparison in a few weeks - I'll be seeing them headline a club on July 11th and then open for Petty on the 17th.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #42
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't back read. Do you know them? Or are you just their biggest fan?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #43
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    I didn't back read. Do you know them? Or are you just their biggest fan?
    LOL...neither, though I am a very big fan. I just think they are the kind of band that you may not get the full effect of seeing them in that type of setting is all. If I had never heard a lick of their music and caught them opening for TP in a big arena, I can see myself walking out with the same reaction you had "They're ok, nothing special." So in that respect I can see a lot of people who catch them on the Tom Petty tour having that reaction and not bothering to check out their catalog, that's all.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #44
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LOL...neither, though I am a very big fan. I just think they are the kind of band that you may not get the full effect of seeing them in that type of setting is all. If I had never heard a lick of their music and caught them opening for TP in a big arena, I can see myself walking out with the same reaction you had "They're ok, nothing special." So in that respect I can see a lot of people who catch them on the Tom Petty tour having that reaction and not bothering to check out their catalog, that's all.

I completely agree. If you've never seen or heard the Truckers before and then you see them in a large arena you just won't get it. Go see them somewhere small as Alex has said. The experience is unreal. Alex I will see you at Otto's buddy.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #45
    JRod1229
    GATA!

My Tour Central Stats

You basically feel owned when you see these guys in a small venue.. I mean they rock hard. I was almost blown away when I left seeing them last time, it was just great.

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #46
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You basically feel owned when you see these guys in a small venue.. I mean they rock hard. I was almost blown away when I left seeing them last time, it was just great.
    This is so true...when I saw them for the first time I was just SPENT when I walked out of the show.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #47
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

The show at Otto's in DeKalb was just insane!

I'm still a little sore right now. The setlist wasn't quite as 'perfect' as it was when I saw them at The Vic in April, but seeing them in that tiny club environment was just unbelievable. They started out a little mellower, coming out of the gate with 'Carl Perkins' Cadillac' and 'Heathens' and slowly amped up the intensity.

Several songs in two guys that were jostling for position in front of the stage got into it and started throwing punches. Patterson immediately stopped the show - "HEY MOTHERFUCKERS! GODDAMNIT! Both of you, out of here now!! We got no room for assholes at a Truckers show! Assholes scare all the ladies off, and we like the ladies! Scare them off and then we're just playing to a bunch of assholes!"

The encore was amazing and really long, I can't remember it all but it started with 'Bulldozers and Dirt', the did '18 Wheels of Love' for Chester who's funeral was the day before and I had goosebumps! Women Without Whiskey, Road Cases, Zip City, threw in a badass cover of Van Halen's 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love' and closed with a super intense 'Lookout Mountain'.

DBT just consistently blow my mind.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #48
    JRod1229
    GATA!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The show at Otto's in DeKalb was just insane!

I'm still a little sore right now. The setlist wasn't quite as 'perfect' as it was when I saw them at The Vic in April, but seeing them in that tiny club environment was just unbelievable. They started out a little mellower, coming out of the gate with 'Carl Perkins' Cadillac' and 'Heathens' and slowly amped up the intensity.

Several songs in two guys that were jostling for position in front of the stage got into it and started throwing punches. Patterson immediately stopped the show - "HEY MOTHERFUCKERS! GODDAMNIT! Both of you, out of here now!! We got no room for assholes at a Truckers show! Assholes scare all the ladies off, and we like the ladies! Scare them off and then we're just playing to a bunch of assholes!"

The encore was amazing and really long, I can't remember it all but it started with 'Bulldozers and Dirt', the did '18 Wheels of Love' for Chester who's funeral was the day before and I had goosebumps! Women Without Whiskey, Road Cases, Zip City, threw in a badass cover of Van Halen's 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love' and closed with a super intense 'Lookout Mountain'.

DBT just consistently blow my mind.
    B1 - Love the opener.. Carl Perkins Cadillac just gets me everytime
    B2 - I'm siging this..
    B3 - That would of been f'in awesome.. one of my favorite 'stories' that Patterson tells.

Quote:
    Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #49
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    B1 - Love the opener.. Carl Perkins Cadillac just gets me everytime
    B2 - I'm siging this..
    B3 - That would of been f'in awesome.. one of my favorite 'stories' that Patterson tells.

One of my friends that was with me at the show brought his recorder setup and got the whole thing on tape. I'll try to up it somewhere for you guys once I get a copy. The Patterson quote I'm sure is not exact to what he said last night but it's pretty close - I'll get it exact when I get the tape.

Pics I took at the show here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=58b1ea4ea9

Not the best cuz I had to take them with my phone. My g/f was gone when we left for the show and had her nice camera with her, if I had been able to use that I really would have been able to get some sick shots!

Last edited by AlexK79; 07-12-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #50
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Full set list from Otto's:

Carl Perkins' Cadillac
    Heathens
    Love Like This
    Santa Fe
    A Ghost To Most
    Daddy Needs A Drink
    Get Downtown
    The Opening Act
    Birthday Boy
    Girls Who Smoke
    (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
    This Fuckin' Job
    3 Dimes Down
    Buttholeville
    State Trooper
    Puttin' People On The Moon

Encore:
    Bulldozers and Dirt
    Women Without Whiskey
    18 Wheels Of Love (Dedicated to Chester, whose funeral was the day before.)
    Marry Me
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Zip City
    Road Cases
    Lookout Mountain

Old 07-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #51
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

My Tour Central Stats

This show was simply amazing. I first have to say thanks to AlexK79 for hooking me up with this extra ticket and then second thanking the Truckers for the best show I have seen them put on so far. Cooley dominated the show and was great, as was Shonna on her one song-I Told You So. Closing out the show with Buttholeville-->State Trooper-->Buttholeville was great, followed by a purely badass Puttin People On the Moon. The encore speaks for itself. Go see this band if you have't already. You will not be disappointed.

On a side note, all those that live close to Dekalb-which is where Otto's is-Robert Randolph and the Family Band will be there this Thursday.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #52
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

DBT sounded great opening for Petty on Saturday. Neat to see them in a club Sunday night and then in an arena 6 days later. The set list was pretty much all rockers, and they got a nice hour long set. Opened with 'Fourth Night of My Drinking' and '3 Dimes Down'. I can't remember the order exactly or every song, but they did 'The Living Bubba', 'Santa Fe', 'Drag The Lake Charlie', 'Women Without Whiskey', 'Birthday Boy', 'Sink Hole', '(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So', 'After The Scene Dies', 'Zip City', and 'Where The Devil Don't Stay'.

Petty rocked as well! Sounded great, though I wish he would have played a little longer.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #53
    JRod1229
    GATA!

My Tour Central Stats

I've heard Petty's new album is actually really really good (kinda bluesy).. I'll be honest, I thought Petty was well past his prime.

Quote:
    Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #54
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've heard Petty's new album is actually really really good (kinda bluesy).. I'll be honest, I thought Petty was well past his prime.
    I really like the new album. It is very bluesy. Recorded live in the studio and a lot more focus on jamming and instrumental interplay than the more concise, melodic songs on his last one 'Highway Companion' (which I also love.) Mike Campbell really shines on the record with a ton of great soloing. My favorites are 'First Flash of Freedom', which sounds like a vintage Allman Brothers tune, 'Good Enough' which has some just awesome playing from Campbell, 'I Should Have Known It' which is just a great ballsy rocker, and 'Trip To Pirate's Cover' which is a great mellow, atmospheric driving tune.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #55
    JRod1229
    GATA!

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds great man.. probably gonna grab it tonight on ITunes... wish Truckers were opening for them here in ATL. Of all places too..

Quote:
    Old 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #56
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    DBT sounded great opening for Petty on Saturday. Neat to see them in a club Sunday night and then in an arena 6 days later. The set list was pretty much all rockers, and they got a nice hour long set. Opened with 'Fourth Night of My Drinking' and '3 Dimes Down'. I can't remember the order exactly or every song, but they did 'The Living Bubba', 'Santa Fe', 'Drag The Lake Charlie', 'Women Without Whiskey', 'Birthday Boy', 'Sink Hole', '(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So', 'After The Scene Dies', 'Zip City', and 'Where The Devil Don't Stay'.

Petty rocked as well! Sounded great, though I wish he would have played a little longer.
    DBT opened for Petty when I saw them. I feel like the volume was up too loud. Almost to the point of annoying. Maybe that's there "thing"...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #57
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

New batch of fall tour dates! No Chicago, looks like I am heading back to Iowa City and Milwaukee!

Thu Sep 16 Tuscaloosa, AL The Dixie (formerly The Jupiter Bar & Grill)
    Fri Sep 17 Memphis, TN MINGLEWOOD MUSIC HALL
    Sat Sep 18 Bristol, TN BRISTOL RHYTHM & ROOTS REUNION
    Sun Sep 19 Raleigh, NC LINCOLN THEATER - OUTDOORS
    Thu Sep 23 Houston TX HOUSE OF BLUES HOUSTON
    Fri Sep 24 Austin TX STUBBS OUTDOORS
    Sat Sep 25 Dallas TX HOUSE OF BLUES DALLAS
    Sun Sep 26 Kansas City MO CROSSROADS
    Wed Sep 29 Iowa City IA ENGLERT THEATRE
    Thu Sep 30 Minneapolis MN FIRST AVENUE
    Fri Oct 01 Milwaukee WI PABST THEATER
    Sat Oct 02 St Louis MO THE PAGEANT
    Sun Oct 03 Indianapolis IN THE VOGUE
    Thu Oct 07 Morgantown WV WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY - MOUNTAINLAIR BALLROOM
    Fri Oct 08 Louisville KY BROWN THEATER
    Sat Oct 09 Atlanta GA BUCKHEAD THEATER
    Thu Oct 28 Boone NC LEDGENDS @ APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY
    Fri Oct 29 Richmond VA THE NATIONAL
    Sat Oct 30 Richmond VA THE NATIONAL
    Sun Oct 31 Charlotte NC THE FILLMORE CHARLOTTE

Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #58
    Proudest_Raider

My Tour Central Stats

That Memphis show lines up perfectly. MTSU comes to town that Saturday to stomp the shit out of the Tigers, therefore I will already be there. Definitely hitting that show up.
    Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #59
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

My Tour Central Stats

I was reading over on Three Dimes Down, the DBT forum that the band is scheduled to release another album in early 2011. Used To Be A Cop is one of the confirmed songs on the album.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #60
    Proudest_Raider

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was reading over on Three Dimes Down, the DBT forum that the band is scheduled to release another album in early 2011. Used To Be A Cop is one of the confirmed songs on the album.
    Yeah at the Memphis show Patterson talked a little bit about releasing a new album. They opened the encore with a track that's supposed to be on it, "Ray's Automatic Weapon"