Kid’s (family) favorite DMB tunes? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #1
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Kid’s (family) favorite DMB tunes?

This might sink like a two ton heavy thing, but I thought I’d give it a go...

We’ve got. 14 year old (15 in just over month) and an eight year old (a few months from nining).

So our little guy has loved Grace Is Gone for years, since at least 2016 when he started sing along with it and requesting during music time on drives. A couple of weekends ago were heading out from the local and obviously early St. Patrick’s Day parade and my wife’s got BW playing and in comes Time Bomb and he goes “Oooh!” My wife says you like this one and he asks what it’s called. Dave and the boys have got their hooks in him...pretty cool. I’m amazed at the songs that are speaking to him, not exactly the most upbeat, catchy, or accessible tunes in their catalog. It’s actually very cool.

Our oldest is a tougher nut. He really dug the Standing with Standing Rock show, got through the monsoon, and enjoyed N1 at C-ville. However, his favorite song performance so far was Sledgehammer at C-ville. He’s a big Peter Gabriel fan, so that really grabbed him.

How about the other parents here? Or maybe you’ve converted a spouse or parent without premeditation?
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Kid’s (family) favorite DMB tunes?

My son loves DMB. He has been going to shows since he was 3 and will be going to 2 more this summer. His favorite songs are Granny, WWYS, SMTS, Idea of You, Cornbread, Ants, Sledgehammer, Why I Am, but mostly Billies. But there aren't many he doesn't like. He and his sister were belting out the chorus to Idea of You in the car yesterday.

My daughter bobs her head to the songs and knows the words to a few but doesn't like it as much as her brother did at the same age.

I converted my fiance when we met. She had only heard of American Baby before me, but now she loves mots of the catalog and has been to 14 shows.
    Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Took my son (was 6, now 7) to his first show last summer. Deer Creek night 1. Song he wanted to hear more than anything was PIG. Second song of the set was the tour debut of Pig. Pretty unreal.

Some of his taste in songs tends to get an eyebrow raise from people when they ask him his favorites - Minarets, Halloween, Pig, Don't Drink the Water, Again & Again, One Sweet World, Mercy, Tripping Billies, Samurai Cop. After his first show he seemed to have really liked She.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

My parents and in-laws are both fans. Parents have been fans since 96.

Favorites:
    Dad - #41
    Mom - SMTS
    Father in-law: Ants & Crush
    Mother in-law: Watchtower & Crush

My parents love Crash and have had that CD in their car since 96.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
    schutter

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

My 8yr old son told me last night his favorite DMB song is "Sledgehammer". Had to explain that it's not a DMB song but it was cool that he brought it up unprompted!
    Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

They do pull off an excellent version of Sledgehammer. And I’m saying this as a huge Peter Gabriel fan myself.

My daughter is too young to understand what music is, but Sam Cop was released on her due date, so that song reminds me of her naturally. I play it on guitar around her often, so I hope she grows to have some nostalgia tied to it’s melody
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Took my son (was 6, now 7) to his first show last summer. Deer Creek night 1. Song he wanted to hear more than anything was PIG. Second song of the set was the tour debut of Pig. Pretty unreal.
    This is awesome, man. That's a special moment. Plus, your son has good taste in DMB tunes
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Some of his taste in songs tends to get an eyebrow raise from people when they ask him his favorites - Minarets, Halloween, Pig, Don't Drink the Water, Again & Again, One Sweet World, Mercy, Tripping Billies, Samurai Cop. After his first show he seemed to have really liked She.
    Awesome story about Pig N1! Similar thing happened for my son at D&T in 2017. It was his second show and Billies, his favorite song, was #2. He was loving it, screaming and dancing the whole time. Then in ATL 2018 the encore was Why I Am and Billies, his two favorite tunes and he went sprinting down the aisle to get a better view and just jumped and danced the entire time.
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Awesome story about Pig N1! Similar thing happened for my son at D&T in 2017. It was his second show and Billies, his favorite song, was #2. He was loving it, screaming and dancing the whole time. Then in ATL 2018 the encore was Why I Am and Billies, his two favorite tunes and he went sprinting down the aisle to get a better view and just jumped and danced the entire time.

Its certainly adds a different element to your own personal enjoyment of shows for sure

He's chomping at the bit to go again this summer. He was pissed when my wife and I went to Columbus this past fall and didn't take him, haha! My daughter's first show is gonna be summer 2020, already eager to go after her brother raved to her about it.
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
    mfatz24

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

thinking about taking my son to his first show this summer; he'll be 7. he's a casual fan but is excited to see his first concert. sounds like your son is a big fan, how was his experience? can be a long day/night for a little guy but I imagine the energy and excitement will keep my son's attention.
    mfatz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfatz24 View Post
    thinking about taking my son to his first show this summer; he'll be 7. he's a casual fan but is excited to see his first concert. sounds like your son is a big fan, how was his experience? can be a long day/night for a little guy but I imagine the energy and excitement will keep my son's attention.

Everybody's kid is different. I thought he would get worn down after being out in the lots for a few hours and then a lengthy concert. But he was pretty jacked the entire show all the way back to the car afterward. We had a nice spot in the lawn with plenty of space and a couple of our friends had a pair of extra back pavilions they failed to offload so they gave them to us so we took turns taking him down closer every few songs.

Couldn't have asked for a better set. I think it helped that there was a boatload of stuff he enjoyed right off the bat and then never stretched too far without hitting something he was fond of. As a bonus it was streamed on XM, I burned him CDs for the full show and he listened to it nonstop for a while afterward.
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Its certainly adds a different element to your own personal enjoyment of shows for sure

He's chomping at the bit to go again this summer. He was pissed when my wife and I went to Columbus this past fall and didn't take him, haha! My daughter's first show is gonna be summer 2020, already eager to go after her brother raved to her about it.
    Yeah, my son is hooked. He's been to almost 10 concerts total now. We will probably take my daughter next year.
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Everybody's kid is different. I thought he would get worn down after being out in the lots for a few hours and then a lengthy concert. But he was pretty jacked the entire show all the way back to the car afterward. We had a nice spot in the lawn with plenty of space and a couple of our friends had a pair of extra back pavilions they failed to offload so they gave them to us so we took turns taking him down closer every few songs.

Couldn't have asked for a better set. I think it helped that there was a boatload of stuff he enjoyed right off the bat and then never stretched too far without hitting something he was fond of. As a bonus it was streamed on XM, I burned him CDs for the full show and he listened to it nonstop for a while afterward.
    My son loves listening to the tapes of his shows. We listen to Raleigh 18 a lot. My son has never had a bad experience at show. He is attentive and dancing throughout most of it, If he gets tired he just sits for a song or two and then he's back at it.
    Old 03-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
    cjward230

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

My now almost 8 year old daughter first fell in love 3-4 years ago with the Luther College WWYS because "he was being silly". Warehouse was next in line because "black cats can't change colors". We went down the rabbit hole from there since I listen to more LT than studio. Rooftop is up there on the list for her. She likes the studio Everyday, but not the live versions. Likes the old Can't Stop, but not the CT version as much and knows almost every lyric to the CT album among countless others even though she has a hard time with song titles. She knew B&BB well enough from LT that her first listen through CT she picked it out 10 seconds in and asked why it was on a new album. Have caught her humming secondary/jam horn lines from LITHOG/Grey St. several times as well.

Pretty proud Papa. She wants to go to a concert something aweful, but cannot stand loudness of any sort. On top of that I'm not a lawn guy and don't want to take her to the pavilion where she wouldn't be able to see. Have my fingers crossed that D&T come somewhere close where we can all attend. Being D&T first caught her ear, combined with the milder setting, I think it might be more up her alley.
    cjward230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
    dmbmike41
    Go Hawks!

Shows Seen: 74

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

What a great picture you received of your moment.
    dmbmike41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Love this thread! Don’t have kids of my own but have brought several younger siblings to shows over the years, what I’ve come to learn is it doesn’t matter what you like, if it’s their first live show they’ll inevitably take away something that was their favorite or close to it that most often didn’t register with me. Crazy how that happens. Songs that reliably get my fam going, that maybe aren’t as popular on these boards: YMDT (every fricking time), can’t stop, warehouse, crush, two step...then unfortunately for me, grey street/you and me/satellite.

Edit: not poplar so far in this thread

Last edited by karczews41; 03-15-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote