guitar lessons - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #31
Resatka
You Enjoy Myself

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: guitar lessons

Here were the ones that WERE wrong, but these are correct:

Phrygian

http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_...t&t=0&choice=1

Lydian

Mixolydian

Aeolian

Locrian

Alright that SHOULD be right. If it contains any sharps or flats in ANY of those let me know. There should be NONE. My apologies.

Lydian:

Resatka is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #32
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Here are the wrong ones corrected sorry:

Phrygian

Lydian

Mixolydian

Aeolian

Locrian

Last edited by Resatka; 02-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry my computer is fucked up. Ignore post #31.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #34
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Here's one last step. In order for great soloing, you need to learn one more thing.

You need to learn all the notes, or for now at least the notes on the bottom 2 strings, simply because the rest of the scales and modes have their starting notes on those strings, and as you go up the scale, the rest of the scale is rooted and based off that.

Next is a conceptual idea. I hope you can understand it.

Let's say we have this scale:

It's not a shape I gave you, but it's a different way to group notes on a fretboard within a single key. There are different ways to memorize the modes going up the neck in C major or any key. There are actually a few more practical ones I will teach you when we get to phrasing.

Notice though that the scale has a certain shape to it. The notes are spaced a certain and specific distance (number of frets apart) from each other. It's a pattern.

What if we took the exact same way those notes were grouped, in terms of how far apart each note was from each other (number of frets), and we MOVED that shape so that it was the same, but it started on a different note? Let's say we move all the notes down by a half step (down one fret), all TOGETHER:

Before moving:

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showth...1#post10655109

After moving:

So if I memorize a certain shape, and moved the note in which the shape is based off of to a new note, I will have the same mode of a different key than I did before, however the QUALITY of it is the same. So for example, If I play C major, then I play B major, they both sound like major.

So if the quality is the same, and I know the shape and it's context in music, I can move the shape's root note to where I want it, so that it fits with the music is.

So basically if you memorize the shapes, and shift the shape so that it's in the right place to be in key, then you can play in any key IF you know all the shapes and all the notes on the guitar, but if you're starting out at least the bottom two strings.

And if you know how to connect all the scales and modes together, then you can play over the ENTIRE fretboard in ALL keys simply by shifting the position of the scale/mode shapes, and you shift to the right key by knowing what notes are within the song.

What I just said is maybe the most important part. Do you understand EVERYTHING that I've said? A lot of people for some reason can't grasp the concept but hopefully you guys can.

Last edited by Resatka; 02-02-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #35
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

i get what youre saying. keep up the awesome work dude this is amazing stuff.

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #36
    CGTP13

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

So if I play one of those patterns on the top string at the 5th fret, I'm in the key A and if I move it up 2 frets and play the same pattern, then I'm in the key of B?
    CGTP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #37
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    So if I play one of those patterns on the top string at the 5th fret, I'm in the key A and if I move it up 2 frets and play the same pattern, then I'm in the key of B?
    yup. i'm thinking of it like barre chords. once you know the shape and root you know the chord pretty much

Out With Gout
    Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #38
    CGTP13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
    yup. i'm thinking of it like barre chords. once you know the shape and root you know the chord pretty much
    That's what I'm thinking too.
    Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #39
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    YES! You got it! So now you know the tools to basically learn to solo in anyway key! Over the ENTIRE fretboard. When you figure it out for the first time it's awesome, and from there things will take off. Now you can start to mess around with notes, in key, and you won't hit wrong notes out of key, so you can learn how to play in the right key. This also means:

You can learn to make up your own solos over your favorite songs.

You know to fully make sure you're playing in the right key and knowing which notes won't sound good when learning a song.

Which means phrasing will be much easier because you know how the notes are more involved with the music.

Quote:
    i get what youre saying. keep up the awesome work dude this is amazing stuff.

Thanks man I really appreciate it! I'm going to find some things for phrasing. If I don't post back tonight I will have it for tomorrow. Phrasing and learning licks are going to be a completely different animal.

Also none of this will work without memorizing things.... you gotta practice. I can't stress that enough. It's the only way these things will happen.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #40
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes! And those chords have notes that are in common with a few scales and modes, which means you can play those scales and modes over THOSE chords and fit with it. THAT is very important, do you get that?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #41
    CGTP13

My Tour Central Stats

Alright I understand this part. Thanks again for going over this stuff.
    Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #42
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

No problem man. I'm actually off for the night but I'll be back tomorrow for the next part.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #43
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Resatka View Post
    Yes! And those chords have notes that are in common with a few scales and modes, which means you can play those scales and modes over THOSE chords and fit with it. THAT is very important, do you get that?
    yes i understand completely, scaled and modes correspond to certain chords. good shit. i vote for a sticky

Out With Gout
    Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #44
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright so it's 2 in the morning here and I can't really sleep, so I'll do an introduction to phrases, then tomorrow we'll continue.

So phrases and licks are basically what another 3rd of soloing is about. Sometimes they're called riffs (a video or two will call them that, but that's not always what a riff exactly is as you probably already know). Famous solos such are Stairway to Heaven, Blue Sky, or perhaps Hotel California are chalk-full of licks. You probably knew this, but the question is how do you develop licks into your own playing, when and how do you use them in songs, and how do I develop a style?

Well as it turns out, these question can vary form guitarist to guitarist. It also depends on what style of music you're playing. For now I assume we're learning rock music, and you guys want to be able to play melodically and maybe even technically well.

Believe it or not, one of the BEST ways to learning licks is to learn and borrow them from others. Sometimes learning solos by other guitarists will help develop technical skill. It can also give you inspiration to maybe try the licks in your own playing. You might think "Well I don't want to play exactly like that person". There are a few things that I wouldn't worry about if you have this thought. One, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-sN99fELoU

This video is basically Warren Haynes explaining that you can take the same lick (he calls it a riff in this video), and try different variations of it, to get it to sound the way you want, or to make other people's licks your own take. Guitarists for years have been borrowing from each other. The blues players from the jazz players. The rock players from the blues players. The metal players from the rock players. And so on. You get the idea.

There are also a lot of licks that are common used by many guitarists. You could called these standard licks or cliche licks.

Here an example of some "standard" licks. This one is in A minor pentatonic. This is actually a good video because it teaches you how to use these licks in context to actual music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRw1m2yW84

So outside learning and making your own variations on pre-existing licks, the other way to creating licks is simply by sitting down and fucking around. I've come up with a lot of my own licks by just sitting down and trying to use notes, patterns and arpeggios that are completely original but fit with a certain style of music perfectly, whether that be blues, jazz, rock, etc. it doesn't matter. Unless you're super creative, I'd first start with learning standard licks and borrowing licks from songs that you know.

So basically to learn licks from others, you're going to either learn solos, or learn a single lick from a solo. So before I teach how you to implement these ideas into actual songs, because you're going to need to learn how to change and vary licks so that they fit into the key that you want. I'm going to stop and let everyone catch up and read this then I will continue tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #45
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

alright i have a question. are those seven scales you posted only for they key of c? or all keys?

Out With Gout
    Old 02-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #46
    maxsoup

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    alright i have a question. are those seven scales you posted only for they key of c? or all keys?
    those are only for the key of C
    other keys have the same PATTERN as those he showed but the notes are replaced with the notes in the, say, Key of G major

summer 2009Alpine & Deer Creek

MattsMarching Thread!
    maxsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #47
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxsoup View Post
    those are only for the key of C
    other keys have the same PATTERN as those he showed but the notes are replaced with the notes in the, say, Key of G major
    that is kind of what i figured, it seemed too easy. so are the roots in different locations for the same patterns for different keys?

Out With Gout
    Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #48
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's one last step. In order for great soloing, you need to learn one more thing.

You need to learn all the notes, or for now at least the notes on the bottom 2 strings, simply because the rest of the scales and modes have their starting notes on those strings, and as you go up the scale, the rest of the scale is rooted and based off that.

Next is a conceptual idea. I hope you can understand it.

Let's say we have this scale:

It's not a shape I gave you, but it's a different way to group notes on a fretboard within a single key. There are different ways to memorize the modes going up the neck in C major or any key. There are actually a few more practical ones I will teach you when we get to phrasing.

Notice though that the scale has a certain shape to it. The notes are spaced a certain and specific distance (number of frets apart) from each other. It's a pattern.

What if we took the exact same way those notes were grouped, in terms of how far apart each note was from each other (number of frets), and we MOVED that shape so that it was the same, but it started on a different note? Let's say we move all the notes down by a half step (down one fret), all TOGETHER:

Before moving:

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showth...1#post10655109

After moving:

So if I memorize a certain shape, and moved the note in which the shape is based off of to a new note, I will have the same mode of a different key than I did before, however the QUALITY of it is the same. So for example, If I play C major, then I play B major, they both sound like major.

So if the quality is the same, and I know the shape and it's context in music, I can move the shape's root note to where I want it, so that it fits with the music is.

So basically if you memorize the shapes, and shift the shape so that it's in the right place to be in key, then you can play in any key IF you know all the shapes and all the notes on the guitar, but if you're starting out at least the bottom two strings.

And if you know how to connect all the scales and modes together, then you can play over the ENTIRE fretboard in ALL keys simply by shifting the position of the scale/mode shapes, and you shift to the right key by knowing what notes are within the song.

What I just said is maybe the most important part. Do you understand EVERYTHING that I've said? A lot of people for some reason can't grasp the concept but hopefully you guys can.
    the underlined answers my question. the roots are in the same position, you just shift the scale up/down the fretboard to change keys.

Out With Gout
    Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #49
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the underlined answers my question. the roots are in the same position, you just shift the scale up/down the fretboard to change keys.
    Yes correct. You only need to change the roots so that they fit with the song that you're trying to play over (meaning you need to know the key of the song you're playing in).

This also means if you memorize one key over the entire fretboard (like learning all the shapes I showed you), then you can solo over any key, over the entire fretboard, simply because all you have to do is shift the shape. Like you said earlier, it's similar to the concept of a barre chord. It's like you have an A Major barre chord, and you want to play a B Major barre chord. What do you do? Shift the entire shape of a chord up a whole step. For scales you'd do the same thing, get it?

The memorization will take work, but it's totally worth it, for many many reasons. Trust me. It's a skill you'll want to have if you want to be exceptionally good at soloing. It's all about fitting with the song, and this is the first step.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #50
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

^^gotcha

Out With Gout
    Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #51
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright so licks again..... let's summarize what I said earlier:

- Learning licks from others will help a TON (technique, knowledge, when to use in context of songs)
    - Learning "standard" licks for each style is a must
    - Sitting down and twisting your licks into your own way will make your own solos sound more original or
    - Sitting down and just messing around sometimes creates great licks as well

Next I'm to explain how to find the keys of songs and how to solo over certain keys. Would you like some videos and sound clips for ideas on phrasing? My only question is what style of music do you want to solo to, and what guitarists do you want to be somewhat similar to?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #52
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

^ i'm really interested in bluesy type stuff. rock too but if you're looking for one specific genre it'd have to be blues

Out With Gout
    Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #53
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright. The modes and scales that I showed you will be great for learning blues. Blues often has used modes to play awesome, bluesy licks. Mixolydian, Aeolian, Ionian, and Dorian licks can be found all over blues, and are great to know to keep your licks fresh and it gives you more sounds to choose from. However blues guitarists mostly use the pentatonic minor scale, or variations of something called "the blues scale". It would not surprise me at all if you already knew this. All you'll have to learn is to not play certain notes, because the pentatonic and blues scales are based off of the major and minor scales. Also if you'd like, you can learn the blues scale and all the modes separately. Either way, if you follow through and practice everything, it will really pay off.

These scales and modes are also found all over rock music as well. Really the only difference you'll have to learn is one has more gain and is more upbeat. That's really the line between blues and rock. And of course you gotta sing about the blues to make it blues.

In case you didn't know....

Ionian mode = major scale

Aeolian mode = minor scale

Isn't that nice? haha

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to show you any actual playing yet. I can't do it tonight because I have to go to work in 10 minutes and I'm not getting off until midnight. Tomorrow I will try my best.

Last edited by Resatka; 02-03-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #54
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

yeah i know a few blues scales and a few pentatonic scales, but no idea what their names are. right now i'm working on memorizing the scales you posted. i've pretty much got them memorized i just have to keep looking back and checking. repitition repitition repitition.

Out With Gout
    Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #55
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright so for licks.... there are a few ways to go about it. If you'd like, I can post videos that will tremendously help you out.

Also I'd try to learn some licks from some solos. I'm assuming you obviously know how to read tab, or perhaps sheet music.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #56
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright so for licks.... there are a few ways to go about it. If you'd like, I can post videos that will tremendously help you out.

Also I'd try to learn some licks from some solos. I'm assuming you obviously know how to read tab, or perhaps sheet music.
    whatever you think is best, i'm really starting to get a clear idea how everything is set up. if i ever see you somewhere i'm buying you as many beers as you can carry

i can read tabs but not so much with sheet music.

Out With Gout
    Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #57
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah pretty much I'm just paving the road. I'm just showing you the steps so that you can solo as good as you want. Honestly, the sky is the limit once you have a handle on what you're doing. I'll post some videos that should help you out, and a few sites chalk-filled with licks. You can listen to them and pick out the ones that you like.

Also do you have guitar pro by any chance? I use it all the time for learning songs, whether it's jazz or some random classic rock song. It's great for practicing. I'd try to get that. I might be able to hook you up if you're interested.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #58
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah pretty much I'm just paving the road. I'm just showing you the steps so that you can solo as good as you want. Honestly, the sky is the limit once you have a handle on what you're doing. I'll post some videos that should help you out, and a few sites chalk-filled with licks. You can listen to them and pick out the ones that you like.

Also do you have guitar pro by any chance? I use it all the time for learning songs, whether it's jazz or some random classic rock song. It's great for practicing. I'd try to get that. I might be able to hook you up if you're interested.
    i'm not even sure what guitar pro is. is it a tab site?

Out With Gout
    Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #59
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

No it's a program. You can download guitar tabs to it, and it shows you how to play the song in real time with the song itself. It also notates it "musically", or with sheet music for you as well. You can also tab your songs and play along to them, or you can use it to practice licks, like a metronome. I've learned countless solos with it. It's really easy, and it really, really helps. I'll try and find you the file and I can send it to you so you don't have to pay for it, and then I'll give you a site that uses Guitar Pro tabs for versions of songs. Usually the guitar pro tabs are much more accurate than regular tabs too. Win win combo. I'll send it to you when I have the chance.

Here's a site for some licks you can get started on.

Here's the first one. Read each link on the page and listen to the ones that sound the most interesting to you. If you like how it sounds, learn it! A lot of the lessons come with tab, and he plays it slow too.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/

That guy has licks for all styles.

----------------------------

Here's Paul Gilbert. He's one of my favorite guitarists and he's a god basically... he does amazing videos that can teach you a lot, especially for rock or blues. He mainly plays metal and class rock though, but the concepts he teaches you are used across many styles.

Bending and Vibrato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4A_...eature=related

How to properly hold a guitar pick for maximum guitar playing (the intro is insane shredding, but don't be intimated by the rest of the lesson, it's VERY good and you learn a lot):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOM...eature=related

-------------------------------------------------

Here's a video on pinch harmonics (sequels). You've probably heard these before but had 0 idea how to play them. Very cool if used right. You might think it's for metal, but a TON of rock players, classic and hard rock, use these technique. Very cool and not hard at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-YkS...eature=related

-----------------------------------------

Here's a lesson by Vinnie Moore about modes and how to use them. This guy is very good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-Db...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfmt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqyjB...eature=related

-----------------------------------------

Here's a free lesson series. Awesome for all styles, especially the ones you're interested in:

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/rock/rock-guitar.html

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/guitar_lessons.html

-------------------------------------------

This guy's youtube page has tons of great lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beefcakejcc

-----------------------------------------------------

Here are a bunch of videos on how to solo with modes and scales. VERY useful:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...loing&rclk=pti

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a free lesson series for various licks from a guitar lick website. You could wonder this for hours:

http://www.licklibrary.com/lessons

Well that's some things to get you started. Probably a lot and it will take you a while to get through everything. Most of these videos I would just watch first. If you want help with anything, whether it's how to play something, or you need help learning something, let me know. Also if you want help finding things, or these videos are doing you no good, just let me know.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #60
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

thanks, this is great. my only other question to you is (and it may have been answered in the posted videos, i haven't checked yet) is how to tell what key a song is in

Out With Gout