New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 515 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-13-2022, 06:20 AM   #15421
LynchFS

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
Yeah, it usually seems to be about a two-ish month timeframe from announcement to release. But even then, there's usually more semi-official stuff before hand (e.g., Dave debuted Mercy on Jimmy Fallon on 4/24/12, which Fallon introduced as a song "from their new album due out later this year").
He did perform Something to tell my baby on CNN 4/17/22. Obviously no mention of a new album later this year. Probably a coincidence when trying to compare away from the world timeline. I actually have no logical reason as to why they would care to match a previous record timeline with a new album.
LynchFS is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #15422
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Still don't think we're getting one this year. Zero mention of it since July 2021. What a shame
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #15423
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Its possible that Norlander at the time, to his knowledge, was told the new DMB album was coming in a few months and that changed.

Its also possible he's in that mindset, was informed that a while back and just hasn't been updated yet that its still further away than he was told before.

And also - perhaps he's on the money and it does.

As with all this info, we are just going to have to wait until an official announcement to know.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 07:22 AM   #15424
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I'm not surprised by the recent 'piecemeal' comment in regard to the next album. I've had this feeling based on how long it's been coupled with the past comments about using songs from the Away from the World era.

If they are indeed using songs from 3 or 4 different sessions (AFTW, 2015/Cavallo, 2020 and 2021, etc.) I just hope they do it right and re-record the tracks and give them a unified mix and production.
    Also checks out with the suggestion that there was some form of a "where's the Tripping Billy?" moment with this album.
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #15425
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Still don't think we're getting one this year. Zero mention of it since July 2021. What a shame
    A lot has changed since 2018 when it comes to album rollouts industry wise and going back to 2009 and 2012 it is an even larger change in how long it takes to rollout an album.

They could announce an album in August and the Album could come out in September. The mass adaptation of streaming services and continuous growth of playlisting has changed the game.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #15426
    wvufan2010
    Evan

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    A lot has changed since 2018 when it comes to album rollouts industry wise and going back to 2009 and 2012 it is an even larger change in how long it takes to rollout an album.

They could announce an album in August and the Album could come out in September. The mass adaptation of streaming services and continuous growth of playlisting has changed the game.
    This.

I know Dave isn't Taylor Swift, but I mean, Taylor is one of (if not the) biggest artist on the planet, and two of her biggest albums ever were released with about 24 hours notice. If they really wanted to, they could announce it on little to zero notice. They almost certainly won't, as I don't see that being Dave/management's style, but if they were really anxious to get the album out to the people, we could have an album released this Friday if they were hell-bent on it.
    wvufan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #15427
    Aforauer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvufan2010 View Post
    This.

I know Dave isn't Taylor Swift, but I mean, Taylor is one of (if not the) biggest artist on the planet, and two of her biggest albums ever were released with about 24 hours notice. If they really wanted to, they could announce it on little to zero notice. They almost certainly won't, as I don't see that being Dave/management's style, but if they were really anxious to get the album out to the people, we could have an album released this Friday if they were hell-bent on it.

True, but we know they’re not anxious to release it lol. They’ve dragged ass for a year and a half+ now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 06-13-2022, 09:42 AM   #15428
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

My thing is, we’ve had insiders hinting the album isn’t done yet, and similar to 2021 we should “just enjoy the tour.” They usually don’t work on albums while on tour- so I don’t see how the album could have gone from unfinished to finished and coming out in a few months. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, I’m saying with this band it’s not likely. Maybe Matt just got the same soft timeframe from management that we did from some of our insiders. “Hey Matt, album isn’t ready yet but the boys are thinking maybe by the fall.”
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 09:55 AM   #15429
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

from how this session / non-release cycle has gone, and from what we've heard form the norlander interview about the lillywhite sessions / carsons further explanations of them, it really seems like the label has a much stronger influence on the band and what they release / want to release than any of us have originally thought

and that sucks
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #15430
    Aforauer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    from how this session / non-release cycle has gone, and from what we've heard form the norlander interview about the lillywhite sessions / carsons further explanations of them, it really seems like the label has a much stronger influence on the band and what they release / want to release than any of us have originally thought

and that sucks
    100%. Seems like the man who writes and records the songs doesn't even have the final say. Such a shame that management continues to get in their own way
    Old 06-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #15431
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

and that sucks
    Indeed. And guess what, they(label) were wrong. Everyday sold well because fans were expecting the Lillywhite sessions.

Did Bruce Flohr getting his pop album make the bands future brighter. I would say no. Instead it gave us decades of indecisive Dave and aborted studio sessions. He sold out DMB for the casual listener and greed and has been paying ever since.

Guy had a band on the verge of releasing its pinnacle album and blew it cause he was too daft to realize it.
    elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #15432
    Vorony

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

There’s not a chance the label has that much say anymore. 22 years ago, yes. But not at this stage of their career. Because if the label had that much influence, we would have absolutely had an album by now. They wouldn’t let Dave drag this on over almost 2 years. Not a chance.
    Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #15433
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
    There’s not a chance the label has that much say anymore. 22 years ago, yes. But not at this stage of their career. Because if the label had that much influence, we would have absolutely had an album by now. They wouldn’t let Dave drag this on over almost 2 years. Not a chance.
    Yup. Agreed.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #15434
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
    If that's your belief, then you'd be surprised.
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #15435
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, have we not learned from the countless horror stories of labels fucking over artists? I guess we thought Dave/DMB was immune to that at this stage... I suppose it's maybe because Dave himself has become incredibly wealthy on a lot of other ventures.

I asked this before and I don't think it ever got answered... do we know who owns all the masters of all of DMB's work?
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #15436
    NeatFreakGeek

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know what their contract status is?
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #15437
    Typical_Ant

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

All a band like DMB needs in a label is for distribution and marketing. I honestly don't know else a label would even do for a mega band these days. How does a label make money in 2022?

RCA is not dictating the perfect drop date for this. It had some hiccups, some rewrites some additional thought.

My guess is the original recording from 2020 is going to be the new songs we have heard live, they've been re-re-recorded since then with additional bits added here and there.

I almost wish we just got the 10 songs they did in their rawest form in 2020. This perfectionist approach just sucks the life out of the excitement from us, and the inspiration of the music. I mean these new songs are now 2 years old.
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #15438
    wvufan2010
    Evan

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post

I guess it never occurred to me that DMB would be beholden to the label at this stage. I mean, I guess it makes sense if I stop and think about it, especially if Dave doesn’t own the masters. I guess I just thought with all the success DMB has had, the label would be happy to be totally hands-off and let the band do whatever they wanted.

I need to be educated on the subject, but I don’t understand why DMB wouldn’t just do everything through Bama Rags and ways their hands of RCA completely. If Dave/DMB own their masters, it doesn’t make any sense to me why they would want an outside entity having a voice in what music they get to share with the world.

Gives me pause about how much we’ve blamed Dave/the band over the years for songs never making it on albums (Shotgun, Bismarck, Sugar Will, etc.). Probably giving the band too much leeway, but hearing some stuff in this thread at the very least makes me wonder.

wvufan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #15439
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I see people are finally figuring out that the label is in control. Does it now make sense now why people have heard its done only for a week or two later to come back and says it's not? What's done to some is not done to others (looking at you label).
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #15440
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

So...There is an album. It is finished as far as the band is concerned. The master plan to release it is in the hands of the label/record company, and they are taking their sweet ass time.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #15441
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Damn, imagine being as big as DMB and still letting a label dictate anything about what music you release and how you release music.

Genuinely blows my mind RCA still has a say in anything. Would love DMB to join, hell, even the 2010s

Last edited by jaymas9; 06-13-2022 at 04:20 PM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #15442
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    So...There is an album. It is finished as far as the band is concerned. The master plan to release it is in the hands of the label/record company, and they are taking their sweet ass time.
    i think its more the band goes to the label with their done album

the label hears it and goes, nah, we dont like it / "wheres the tripping billies" / how about more of a pop friendly single / how about a dave solo / how about less dark and gives it back to the band

the band tweaks, rewrites / reworks, and gives it back to the label

i think thats the cycle were in right now
    Quote:
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:24 PM   #15443
    DMB1JW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

the label hears it and goes, nah, we dont like it / "wheres the tripping billies" / how about more of a pop friendly single / how about a dave solo / how about less dark and gives it back to the band

Which I'm okay with if we get Break For It vs. SFTW ... Break Free vs OATB... etc.
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #15444
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which I'm okay with if we get Break For It vs. SFTW ... Break Free vs OATB... etc.
    totally

but with a label that took the lillywhite sessions and turned it into everyday

can you actually trust that?
    Quote:
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #15445
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is much closer to how it’s done, yep
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:49 PM   #15446
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See I'd say that windows and ocean are far better than Batson era tracks that reek of mediocrity.

Can't imagine wanting to continually pull from the worst era of the band.
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #15447
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is much closer to how it’s done, yep

Whoever you know that’s close to band Bruce, you need to tell them to tell Dave to look at what frank ocean did to his record label.

Cus that’s what needs to happen

Quote:
    Old 06-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #15448
    DMB1JW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    See I'd say that windows and ocean are far better than Batson era tracks that reek of mediocrity.

Can't imagine wanting to continually pull from the worst era of the band.
    I think the previous live versions (2010 era) of Break For It are boring and flat but with the current lineup and what I've heard this summer makes me want a fresh studio version.
    Old 06-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #15449
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

I cannot get over the idea that The Dave Matthews Band takes any direction from a label. Like why, why on earth would that still be happening. Somebody make it make sense for me.
    Old 06-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #15450
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think the previous live versions (2010 era) of Break For It are boring and flat but with the current lineup and what I've heard this summer makes me want a fresh studio version.

Genuinely happy when anyone likes anything. There is just no version of that song that does anything for me. It's bad at its core to my ears.

I also really want them to stop pulling forward songs from the Mark Batson era haha