New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 425 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #12721
jc49507
Joe

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Some of y'all are crazy. I went through the message board, before watching the performance, and expected it to BE trash. I found it to be the exact opposite. STTMB was an, absolutely, beautiful moving piece. It's the lovechild of Cry Freedom and I'll Back You Up. Now, am I going to listen to it on the regular? No. It's pretty somber. But, it made me feel nostalgic about the early DMB days. I could see it making the album, but I would place it towards the end. Not to finish it out, but maybe a track or two before, like Cry Freedom or I'll Back You Up was placed.
jc49507 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #12722
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    This song is certainly taking the brunt end of the frustration on the #WhatAlbum process that’s been going on the last 18 months.

But pretty sure most have prefaced their opinions as we are all cool if this was done just as a one off song and that the gesture by Dave was great. Only complaining in context of what this could mean in regards to a future album/shows which I think is the purpose of a thread discussion around new albums/songs.

I’m purposely keeping the bashing in this thread and not the thread dedicated to the individual performance.
    Yeah. Somehow the album with the new single being mentioned it all got blurred. It doesn’t make the song better or worse but you’re right. Good observation.

Last edited by Gunz; 04-18-2022 at 06:26 AM.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 06:41 AM   #12723
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Gunz,

I get what you’re saying and have been in your position during previous new album threads….however, the past suggests the chances of it being apart of the album given how things have played out are much greater than not being apart of the album.

As of now there is more evidence of a half solo half full band album like CT was than a true full band effort. I hope I’m wrong.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 06:46 AM   #12724
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jc49507 View Post
    Some of y'all are crazy. I went through the message board, before watching the performance, and expected it to BE trash. I found it to be the exact opposite. STTMB was an, absolutely, beautiful moving piece. It's the lovechild of Cry Freedom and I'll Back You Up. Now, am I going to listen to it on the regular? No. It's pretty somber. But, it made me feel nostalgic about the early DMB days. I could see it making the album, but I would place it towards the end. Not to finish it out, but maybe a track or two before, like Cry Freedom or I'll Back You Up was placed.
    Hmm, Cry Freedom and I'll Back You Up love child? Nope. Great 4th post though.

This song isn't trash but does absolutely nothing for me and would be a waste of space on the new record IMHO.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #12725
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

STTMB is really growing on me with each listen. It reminds me a lot of LRB and Belly Full. Really like the strings on it and wouldn’t mind it as a closer to an album. Just hope it doesn’t also kick a higher energy song off.
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:01 AM   #12726
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    ha! Yeah get him! Tell him what it’s like to be a REAL DMB fan!

Gunz, don’t even THINK about comparing something to 90s Dave ever again!!
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:08 AM   #12727
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Cry Freedom and I'll back you up to me are better at a full band show at engaging the crowd. Songs like Windows and STTMB while beautiful don't have the command and power to capture a crowd which is why I really think they should only be played at Dave solo shows or a Dave & Tim show with a well-behaved crowd.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:09 AM   #12728
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Gunz,

I get what you’re saying and have been in your position during previous new album threads….however, the past suggests the chances of it being apart of the album given how things have played out are much greater than not being apart of the album.

As of now there is more evidence of a half solo half full band album like CT was than a true full band effort. I hope I’m wrong.
    Exactly this. I think what 99% of the people in here are excited about with this new album is to have an album that is 100% the current iteration of the band so we can see if the quality of the live shows transfers to a quality studio project. We don’t get that if half the album is tiny little Dave solo songs or Sweet-like with the band coming in at the end.

As of right now, I think this is the state of most of us in this thread:

-this will be the first album of this unit all together working on new material, and we really want to see what that sounds like on the record
    -Dave and Carter got together and were really excited about the new material they were working on, and we generally like when Dave & Carter do things together
    -Based on past albums, this album will probably have about 10-12 songs
    -We weren’t entirely thrilled with Come Tomorrow because it had a lot of tiny little Dave solo songs (Here On Out, WHen I’m Weary, TGIY) as well as a bunch of stuff we’d already heard live (Idea of You, Can’t Stop, Black & Bluebird, Again & Again, Sam Cop, DYR, VITR [which, apart from VITR we all seem to agree have superior live versions than studio]) as well as some new stuff that didn’t really move the needle (Come Tomorrow, Come On, She)
    -The album before Come Tomorrow was made up of songs that, by the time it was finally released, consisted of tiny little Dave songs (Belly Full, Sweet, part of the Riff, arguably Mercy) stuff we’d already heard live before studio (Belly Belly, Gaucho, Mercy, If Only, Rooftop, The Riff, Sweet). Luckily we got 3 really good songs that we’d never heard before (Broken Things, Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier)
    -Walk Around the Moon, Madman’s Eyes, Only Thing, OATB, and Windows are probably locks to be on the album because we heard them live last year
    -Of those, OATB and Windows are mostly tiny little Dave songs
    -If this new song that we feel pretty meh about is on the album, that’s another tiny little Dave song
    -If that’s the case, 3 out of 10-12 songs are tiny little Dave songs.
    -In addition, 3 other songs that are likely on the album have been heard already because they were played live last year
    -That means that we’ve heard 6 out of 10-12 songs on the record already, 3 of which either do not at all or barely contain the band.
    -Some people have said they might add some studio versions of unreleased live songs to the album, and the video we have of Dave in the studio has A Dream So Real visible on a list of songs
    -We want to hear new studio material made by this iteration of the band. Instead, it seems like we’re getting material we’ve heard good live versions of (MME, WATM, Only Thing) tiny little mostly Dave solo songs (Windows, OATB, STTMB) which leaves maybe about 6 songs left, 3 of which maybe Broken Things/Snow Outside/Drunken Soldier quality and 3 which could be She/Come Tomorrow/COCO quality. And that’s assuming none of the remaining unheard songs are studio versions of things we’ve already heard live.

Given all that, yeah. It makes sense that we’re all piling onto this song. Because it acts as confirmation that this album will be the same as the last 2, and we really wanted to have something different that really showcases what this band can do. For most of us, it seems like we’ve already heard half the album and half of what we’ve heard is made up of basically Dave solo songs. That’d be fine if we were waiting for a Dave solo album, but we are waiting for an album with the band.

Last edited by crounsa810; 04-18-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #12729
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    STTMB is really growing on me with each listen. It reminds me a lot of LRB and Belly Full. Really like the strings on it and wouldn’t mind it as a closer to an album. Just hope it doesn’t also kick a higher energy song off.
    I’d say the only way this works on an album IMO is if is truly a bonus/hidden type track. Maybe last song ends and then you have 30 quiet seconds then this ends the album. So it truly would feel just like a bonus and not in the flow of the full album or replacing anything.
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #12730
    jc49507
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/i...s/viewpost.gif

"Yeah, get him?" Good Stuff. Thanks for being so welcoming. Haha I've been a huge DMB fan since 1993 and a member of Ants since 2007. But, please, continue to belittle a fellow DMB fan. WTF is wrong with you? Grow up.
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:15 AM   #12731
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Exactly this. I think what 99% of the people in here are excited about with this new album is to have an album that is 100% the current iteration of the band so we can see if the quality of the live shows transfers to a quality studio project. We don’t get that if half the album is tiny little Dave solo songs or Sweet-like with the band coming in at the end.

As of right now, I think this is the state of most of us in this thread:

-this will be the first album of this unit all together working on new material, and we really want to see what that sounds like on the record
    -Dave and Carter got together and were really excited about the new material they were working on, and we generally like when Dave & Carter do things together
    -Based on past albums, this album will probably have about 10-12 songs
    -We weren’t entirely thrilled with Come Tomorrow because it had a lot of tiny little Dave solo songs (Here On Out, WHen I’m Weary, TGIY) as well as a bunch of stuff we’d already heard live (Idea of You, Can’t Stop, Black & Bluebird, Again & Again, Sam Cop, DYR, VITR [which, apart from VITR we all seem to agree have superior live versions than studio]) as well as some new stuff that didn’t really move the needle (Come Tomorrow, Come On, She)
    -The album before Come Tomorrow was made up of songs that, by the time it was finally released, consisted of tiny little Dave songs (Belly Full, Sweet, part of the Riff, arguably Mercy) stuff we’d already heard live before studio (Belly Belly, Gaucho, Mercy, If Only, Rooftop, The Riff, Sweet). Luckily we got 3 really good songs that we’d never heard before (Broken Things, Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier)
    -Walk Around the Moon, Madman’s Eyes, Only Thing, OATB, and Windows are probably locks to be on the album because we heard them live last year
    -Of those, OATB and Windows are mostly tiny little Dave songs
    -If this new song that we feel pretty meh about is on the album, that’s another tiny little Dave song
    -If that’s the case, 3 out of 10-12 songs are tiny little Dave songs.
    -In addition, 3 other songs that are likely on the album have been heard already because they were played live last year
    -That means that we’ve heard 6 out of 10-12 songs on the record already, 3 of which either do not at all or barely contain the band.
    -Some people have said they might add some studio versions of unreleased live songs to the album, and the video we have of Dave in the studio has A Dream So Real visible on a list of songs
    -We want to hear new studio material made by this iteration of the band. Instead, it seems like we’re getting material we’ve heard good live versions of (MME, WATM, Only Thing) tiny little mostly Dave solo songs (Windows, OATB, STTMB) which leaves maybe about 6 songs left, 3 of which maybe Broken Things/Snow Outside/Drunken Soldier quality and 3 which could be She/Come Tomorrow/COCO quality. And that’s assuming none of the remaining unheard songs are studio versions of things we’ve already heard live.

Given all that, yeah. It makes sense that we’re all piling onto this song. Because it acts as confirmation that this album will be the same as the last 2, and we really wanted to have something different that really showcases what this band can do. For most of us, it seems like we’ve already heard half the album and half of what we’ve heard is made up of basically Dave solo songs. That’d be fine if we were waiting for a Dave solo album, but we are waiting for an album with the band.
    Great post sums up my hopes/fears perfectly.

I hope only one or
    Neither of Windows or STTMB makes the album personally and that we still have around 8 more new songs left to hear.
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:15 AM   #12732
    jc49507
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Cry Freedom and I'll back you up to me are better at a full band show at engaging the crowd. Songs like Windows and STTMB while beautiful don't have the command and power to capture a crowd which is why I really think they should only be played at Dave solo shows or a Dave & Tim show with a well-behaved crowd.

Hopewell, this is a much more respectful way to disagree. On that note, I completely agree with that, Monizzle. I wouldn't be thrilled to see it live.
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:18 AM   #12733
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

As a band member I would feel insulted if 3 songs on the album are Dave solo. Even 2 songs. I just want to hear what this band has to offer. Please Dave, leave the solo tunes off the album.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #12734
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Ants: "This band is becoming a nostalgic act!!! They now suck!!!
    Also Ants: "Dave should have played Cry Freedom for this!!!"
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #12735
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    Great post sums up my hopes/fears perfectly.

I hope only one or
    Neither of Windows or STTMB makes the album personally and that we still have around 8 more new songs left to hear.
    Exactly. Like if we assume the album is 12 songs, then that means we’ve heard half of it. Of that half, half of them are tiny little Dave songs. That means the best we can hope for is 6 songs we haven’t heard before. Considering the album hasn’t been announced yet, that likely means it will at best come out mid tour, which means they’ll probably play some of those 6 remaining songs (again, assuming there are 6. There could only be 4). So then we get what? 2 or 3 new songs to listen to for the first time when we get the album? Wow. So exciting. Well worth the 18 month wait
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:22 AM   #12736
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Who knew all it took was a tiny little song to stir up this thread. Anyone have actual news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:40 AM   #12737
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Gunz,

That’s fine- but it doesn’t mean it will sound like it does if it does make the album. Let’s bitch about things as they happen. You feel me? Speculation does nothing with this band. Dave could also be working on a solo record alongside dmb new one. We really don’t know anything.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #12738
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Who knew all it took was a tiny little song to stir up this thread. Anyone have actual news?

Other than Scootle says news is coming and the single was chosen? No. Nobody else has backed up that tidbit either. I think it’ll be like this for a little while still, so hold tight lol.

I get the angst, I feel it too, but the song is like 2:30. At the end of the day as long we don’t lose something like WATM/ME for it I don’t think it’ll be unbearable. I’m pretty sure IF this song is on the album now (I also predict it will be), it would most likely take the place of Windows. No way they have 2 “Dave solo with strings tunes.” I would hate that because Windows is a much better song, but I don’t see the scenario where we have both songs on the album. They’ll drop the older song for the newer shinier one.

Also there’s no way ADSR will be on it either, come on you guys you know better than that by now I get the fear of too many Dave solo/mellow songs but we’re really starting to stretch it here.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:52 AM   #12739
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

More news within next 1-2 weeks. It will start coming faster and more often
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #12740
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

This band will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame before this album is officially released.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #12741
    jc49507
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    This band will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame before this album is officially released.

LMFAO Epic.
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #12742
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarkRock View Post

Sounds hot
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #12743
    DMBCardinal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The band hasn't released any news yet. Not sure what you mean by "more."
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #12744
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That’s unfortunately been my experience with chili
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #12745
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In 1-2 weeks Dave to play Plastic Girl at corporate Target event. No information will be provided in relation to the album.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:40 AM   #12746
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jc49507 View Post
    LMFAO Epic.
    LOL
    Might be right but at the same, a new album could hurt their chances so maybe they hold off till the next nomination
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #12747
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post

Eh, when you compare CF and IBYU to this recent blip of a song, its worth being called out on.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #12748
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    In 1-2 weeks Dave to play Plastic Girl at corporate Target event. No information will be provided in relation to the album.

VERY unpopular opinion here, but I think with a little bit of work on the lyrics, plastic girl could be REALLY good

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #12749
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    VERY unpopular opinion here, but I think with a little bit of work on the lyrics, plastic girl could be REALLY good

Unpopular opinion, yes. But I agree 100% with you. Rework the lyrics and Plastic Girl would be pretty great. The outro instrumental part is really really fantastic.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #12750
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    Unpopular opinion, yes. But I agree 100% with you. Rework the lyrics and Plastic Girl would be pretty great. The outro instrumental part is really really fantastic.
    Vocal melody is pretty good too until the “pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty” part too. But yeah, lyrics are not the best there