New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 711 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 12-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #21301
ToydBinsley

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

This album will be so good that Broadway will make a musical out of it.
ToydBinsley is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-07-2022, 04:27 PM   #21302
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

This isn’t a phenomenon exclusive to DMB. Many of my favorite bands (especially progressive rock bands) have a classic era, which usually consists of their core lineup creating their most innovative and unique music. Then at a certain point, the band gets older maybe a couple lineup changes happen, and they begin to write more “simple” songs. Bands like Rush, Yes and Genesis all share this trend along with DMB.

Most of the people I grew up with (who consider themselves fans of these same bands) only listen to the “classic era”. With Genesis it’s the first 6 albums with Peter Gabriel, they can do without the Phil era. With Rush it’s Fly By Night through Moving Pictures, and with Yes it’s the Rick Wakeman/Bill Bruford era. I’m the weirdo who likes it all. I still think the early shit is the best, but I like variety. I’m the same way with DMB.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #21303
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, there is zero expectation from me about a quality match to the material that made me the fan I am. I think Come Tomorrow is trash and have no idea why that was an approach to an album with that lineup from a band 30 years in.

I'm just very interested in this version of the band making a good album that is theirs, that aligns with their identity now. They are musicians, musicians make music, I'd always encourage them to create and I can't imagine they don't want to, which is why I laugh at how hard this release process seems to be with them. They are at the point in their careers where they could basically do whatever they want, but they still seem to be affected by old guard stuff like record label influence.

As it relates to the live shows I see every year, the new tunes did nothing to detract from that experience (and I can't say that often), in fact MME and WATM are welcome at any show I attend. I also like TOT and Ocean. Cannot say that about most of Come Tomorrow. And even good songs off that record like Sam. Cop and Again and Again are just not really good live. Again and Again is just a struggle in that setting and I have no idea what they've done with Samurai Cop, it's basically a loud mess at this point.
    Old 12-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #21304
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by south535 View Post
    I definitely want a new album, not because I think it’s going to be of the quality of “the Big 4”, but just because Dave is a writer I’m interested in hearing from. I sincerely believe he still has interesting things to say mostly melodically and occasionally lyrically, and think he does enjoy writing, but is clearly in his own head about sharing it.

The fact the band waits 5+ years to release something seems to create this snowball effect of NEEDING the album to be perfect, or important. When you hear in interviews Dave say something to the effect of he’s been convinced to change the album by outside parties and he regrets it, I’m sure that’s true, but none of these recently released albums were a “mix” or a bridge or a lyric away from being a classic. They are different (and honestly not as good) as the stuff we all fell in love with 20 years ago, but that’s okay too.

It makes me think about some of my favorite other bands like Wilco or Andrew Bird. Given these artists are much more confident, prolific writers, but I also think they can release an album without it needing to be perfect, because they’ll just release another album next year. I guess my meandering point is, had all this recorded music had been released in a timely manner, sure, we might have 3 jams and 8 forgettable songs, but that’d be forgiven if a year or two later we got another 3 jams. I just want to hear how one of my favorite writers writes these days.

Madman’s Eyes is a perfectly great song for this version of who Dave is now, as are some of the others. Even the ones I don’t prefer… Who cares! Release it, and move on to the next batch! Who knows, maybe one day they’ll stumble into a classic.

Feb 2002 account. That might be a record for time before first post.
    Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #21305
    south535

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Feb 2002 account. That might be a record for time before first post.
    Proud to have the record. There an award or anything?
    south535 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 11:54 PM   #21306
    dreamingtree_34

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I definitely want a new album, not because I think it’s going to be of the quality of “the Big 4”, but just because Dave is a writer I’m interested in hearing from. I sincerely believe he still has interesting things to say mostly melodically and occasionally lyrically, and think he does enjoy writing, but is clearly in his own head about sharing it.

The fact the band waits 5+ years to release something seems to create this snowball effect of NEEDING the album to be perfect, or important. When you hear in interviews Dave say something to the effect of he’s been convinced to change the album by outside parties and he regrets it, I’m sure that’s true, but none of these recently released albums were a “mix” or a bridge or a lyric away from being a classic. They are different (and honestly not as good) as the stuff we all fell in love with 20 years ago, but that’s okay too.

It makes me think about some of my favorite other bands like Wilco or Andrew Bird. Given these artists are much more confident, prolific writers, but I also think they can release an album without it needing to be perfect, because they’ll just release another album next year. I guess my meandering point is, had all this recorded music had been released in a timely manner, sure, we might have 3 jams and 8 forgettable songs, but that’d be forgiven if a year or two later we got another 3 jams. I just want to hear how one of my favorite writers writes these days.

Madman’s Eyes is a perfectly great song for this version of who Dave is now, as are some of the others. Even the ones I don’t prefer… Who cares! Release it, and move on to the next batch! Who knows, maybe one day they’ll stumble into a classic.
    Agreed. Dave could take a page out of Neil Young's book here too. I think at this point he is hamstrung by the B in DMB; the work it takes to write/arrange/record/edit/mix this huge band, and the fact that the product has to translate well live- since live shows still seem to be the band's #1 focus. Rather than putting an iota of thought toward a horn section breakdown on some DMB deep track, I wish he would just record some takes of a batch of recent songs, add some dubs here and there, put it out, and move on.
    dreamingtree_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 07:11 AM   #21307
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Proud to have the record. There an award or anything?
    You can put it in your sig.
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #21308
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moose Thompson View Post
    You can put it in your sig.
    So when he posts 20 years from now someone can read it
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #21309
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I think the last album I anticipated and got the day it came out was Stand Up. I actually liked the Everyday album, and I liked Big Whiskey, but Stand Up was a straight up turd.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #21310
    TerrapinMonkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostepr41 View Post
    I think the last album I anticipated and got the day it came out was Stand Up. I actually liked the Everyday album, and I liked Big Whiskey, but Stand Up was a straight up turd.
    It was a sneaky turd too. Because that intro to Dream girl and then the guitar riff are so good, and then Dave starts sing mumbling about digging holes to china and greedy men and then DREAMGIRL. And it just got worse from there. Old Dirt Hill intro sounded like a Bside from a boys II Men album from 1994.
    TerrapinMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #21311
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrapinMonkey View Post
    It was a sneaky turd too. Because that intro to Dream girl and then the guitar riff are so good, and then Dave starts sing mumbling about digging holes to china and greedy men and then DREAMGIRL. And it just got worse from there. Old Dirt Hill intro sounded like a Bside from a boys II Men album from 1994.
    Everybody Wake up Intro was also sneaky too. They did a promo with it and it sounded really good until it got going.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 11:03 AM   #21312
    south535

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostepr41 View Post
    I think Stand Up is unfairly abused. I totally agree that the lows are SO low, but I think Stand Up, American Baby, Everybody Wake Up, Hello Again, Louisiana Bayou, You Might Die Trying are all pretty decent sonically, and not intensely cringy lyrically (some of which have developed and turned into even better things live). Granted Hello Again could have been better based on what we came to know live, LB has been played to death after the fact, but that's not a terrible record. I wish Trouble With You got played ever by any combination of the band.
    south535 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #21313
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Trouble With You could have and should have been played N4 at ‘05 Red Rocks. I wish it was played at least once with Roi.
    RSSR is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #21314
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

No idea what you're talking about.

I believe it was declared "Your band is back!" when this album hit.
    Old 12-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #21315
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If anything was going to sound like Boyz II Men, it would be the intro to Dream Girl.
    Old 12-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #21316
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarkRock View Post
    Everybody Wake up Intro was also sneaky too. They did a promo with it and it sounded really good until it got going.
    hot take: the new take/jam on everybody wake up from a number of years ago is absolutely amazing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #21317
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post

But he’ll prolly interpret this as you not having any standards. And for just eating up whatever the band gives you. He’s very righteous about taking DMB real seriously and expecting greatness from them in the year 2022

Band is way more enjoyable these days when you take it for what it is. Now I await the criticism of me actually liking DMB.
    It boggles my mind. I stopped going to shows regularly after 2007. I moved to Maine and realized it wasn’t worth the 3 hour drive to see the same songs over and over. Next show I went to was 2013 because I really liked most of AFTW and wanted to see some new stuff live. Went again in 2016 because I was told see them this year if you want to see the band as it is now, and they happened to be in Maine that year.

I’ve since moved back to Rhode Island, and haven’t gone to a show because I didn’t like CT and most of what they’re playing live right now. But I am still interested to see what they do going forward.

My only thought about this album taking so long is that they’ve been playing four of the songs for two years now. By the time it comes out, they’re not really new anymore.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #21318
    TwoStep51901
    TDC soright05

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

a new album would be great.
    love the new tunes over the last few years
    TwoStep51901 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #21319
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think Stand Up is unfairly abused. I totally agree that the lows are SO low, but I think Stand Up, American Baby, Everybody Wake Up, Hello Again, Louisiana Bayou, You Might Die Trying are all pretty decent sonically, and not intensely cringy lyrically (some of which have developed and turned into even better things live). Granted Hello Again could have been better based on what we came to know live, LB has been played to death after the fact, but that's not a terrible record. I wish Trouble With You got played ever by any combination of the band.
    That companion disc that has Trouble With You on it (and that dope Sugar Will from the Gorge) was the best thing about the Stand Up release.
    Old 12-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #21320
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

A thought I had is that the band sees itself at a crossroads. Do they put out a fresh new sound with Buddy that may alienate legacy fans and potentially hurt tour sales or does the band stick to the formula and put out road-tested songs that the hardcore fans know and like?

I don't know what the band or management is feeling but if they put this album out it would be a good mix of both strategies.

Madman's Eyes
    The Only Thing
    Break Free
    Singing From The Windows
    Ocean And The Butterfly
    Walk Around The Moon
    Shotgun
    Something To Tell My Baby
    Break For It
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sugar Will
    Old 12-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #21321
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    A thought I had is that the band sees itself at a crossroads. Do they put out a fresh new sound with Buddy that may alienate legacy fans and potentially hurt tour sales or does the band stick to the formula and put out road-tested songs that the hardcore fans know and like?

I don't know what the band or management is feeling but if they put this album out it would be a good mix of both strategies.

Madman's Eyes
    The Only Thing
    Break Free
    Singing From The Windows
    Ocean And The Butterfly
    Walk Around The Moon
    Shotgun
    Break For It
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sugar Will
    So a half set from this last tour? Lol

Keep 40 live!
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #21322
    zrroot

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Madman's Eyes
    The Only Thing
    Break Free
    Singing From The Windows
    Ocean And The Butterfly
    Walk Around The Moon
    Shotgun
    Break For It
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sugar Will
    That would be their best album in 2 decades
    zrroot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 02:27 PM   #21323
    TerrapinMonkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Madman's Eyes
    The Only Thing
    Break Free
    Singing From The Windows
    Ocean And The Butterfly
    Walk Around The Moon
    Shotgun
    Break For It
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sugar Will
    If this came out now, I'd really like it. Along with the most recent live versions of these from 21/22.
    TerrapinMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #21324
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

#40 doesn't need to be on an album. The rest I agree with.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #21325
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

If #40 ever makes an album, it’ll be restructured and renamed. Like how #36 became Everyday. That would go over well here.
    RSSR is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #21326
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    If #40 ever makes an album, it’ll be restructured and renamed. Like how #36 became Everyday. That would go over well here.
    I always thought this too. For the record I’d still lean against it.

But now that the band probably doesn’t have as many years left of touring I’m not so sure. It’s not like having to hear everyday instead of 36 for 20+ years this time around. We already have the best live versions we would likely ever get because Dave seems to be over the improvs of the past, plus any vault versions that will eventually be released and then whatever they would turn it into now.

A bit of a different situation than it initially seems at least to me.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #21327
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Madman's Eyes
    The Only Thing
    Break Free
    Singing From The Windows
    Ocean And The Butterfly
    Walk Around The Moon
    Shotgun
    Break For It
    Sweet Up and Down
    Sugar Will
    I'd take out: Windows, Shotgun, STTMB, SUAD and replace them with Bismarck, and 3 new songs. Might even take 40 out too.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #21328
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I want the Sweet Up and Down from Busted Stuff
    Old 12-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #21329
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I want:

Madman’s Eyes
    Walk Around the Moon
    The Ocean and the Butterfly
    New Song (x 10)

For the new album
    Old 12-09-2022, 06:32 AM   #21330
    Monkeysmoke

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I want:

Madman’s Eyes
    Walk Around the Moon
    The Ocean and the Butterfly
    New Song (x 10)

For the new album
    I agree with this. Songs like Shotgun, Break Free, Break for it, Sweet Up and Down and Sugar Will had their place in time and anything moving forward will be a shell of what it was originally. Leave #40 alone and let it be the occasional treat it has always been. Don’t need to ruin it. Nothing will ever compare to Yoshi’s or some of the short Dave solo performances. It’s songs like Something To Tell My Baby that make cringe and never want to listen to them again. I know the album won’t be anything we haven’t heard before but maybe we’ll find out when it’s released in the next 5 years.
    Monkeysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote