Guests - the best live versions of songs donít feature guests, except... - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #61
space_raven
crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

Re: Guests - the best live versions of songs donít feature guests, except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg View Post
I forgot how much Love of My Life is such a filthy, filthy song live.
Santana really brings the sex on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #62
    joshg

Shows Seen: 0

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Proudest Monkey w/Hugh Masekela: https://youtu.be/jmmODnes2XU

Louisiana Bayou w/Robert Randolph: https://youtu.be/tenPRs-MUXA

That LB with Robert Randolph is just an iconic DMB performance.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #63
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    Santana really brings the sex on this one
    What's really interesting is when you realize that it's essentially Brahm's Symphony #3. (https://youtu.be/UH324lgbxaI)
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #64
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Cortez the Killer with Warren Haynes Gorge 2011-- Face melted off

Cortez the Killer with Neil Young at Shoreline Bridge School Benefit.. Full band acoustic show with Neil guesting... Unreal.
    Warren was always amazing on Cortez - at CP the place was going absolutely nuts for that one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    This version of JTR/John the Revelator/Rain Down on Me with Carlos Santana, Bela Fleck, and others from Giants Stadium on 5/25/99 has always been a favorite of mine.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrNdyO_Ywc
    That show was crazy, we didn't think they could top the year before with Bela and BVJ but wow was that a great show even if the lunch ladies drove the crowd nutty at times by wailing on and on seemingly forever.

6-10-97 at Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela and Popper was nuts, easily the best I ever saw.

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it and that place was as loud as seeing an insane Halloween at MSG during an early 2000's winter tour. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

9-2-95 at the Meadows they did a Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris that was crazy, they just nailed that. In fact any of those shows with DRH from summer/fall 1995 are great listens.

Last edited by Lcsulla; 06-06-2021 at 01:24 AM.
    Lcsulla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #65
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 29

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    That show was crazy, we didn't think they could top the year before with Bela and BVJ by wow was that a great show even if the lunch ladies drive the crowd nutty at times.

6-10-97 at Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela and Popper was nuts, easily the best I ever saw.

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

9-2-95 at the Meadows they did a Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris that was crazy, they just nailed that. In fact any of those shows with DRH from summer/fall 1995 are great listens.
    I like your taste. Also, jealous you saw so many great shows!
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #66
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Just got lucky in timing - a girl I was seeing in HS (graduated in 1995) had a brother at UVA for my JR and SR years and he'd send us tapes of shows, finally got to see them live in Feb of 1995. Also great that I happened to live in CT where I could drive and see them in 3 different states with ease. Was fun back then when they were not as big, I paid $23.00 at the gate the day of for 2-5-95, 5th row center seats no less - my first show. Heck, by like 2002 I think I knew every first day WH member who went to the Hartford shows because we all had the same seats year after year after year! Miss those days!

Last edited by Lcsulla; 06-07-2021 at 12:09 AM.
    Old 06-05-2021, 11:31 PM   #67
    Xcacel

Shows Seen: 11

Quote:

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

A couple of quick links of the gems that Lcsulla has outlined (really good stuff)

ē 2.24.95 @ Roseland - All Along The Watchtower with Popper & Trey:
    Here

ē 9.03.95 @ Jones Beach - Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris (I couldnít find 09.02.95):
    Here

ē 06.10.97 @ Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela & Popper:
    Here
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2021, 12:26 AM   #68
    Xcacel

Guests - the best live versions of songs donít feature guests, except...

My pick today is:

ē #41 (12.08.98 The Centrum, Worcester, MA), with Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin (also on WH5 compilation). Never get tired of this one.
    Here
    Old 06-06-2021, 12:51 AM   #69
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    A couple of quick links of the gems that Lcsulla has outlined (really good stuff)

ē 2.24.95 @ Roseland - All Along The Watchtower with Popper & Trey:
    Here

ē 9.03.95 @ Jones Beach - Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris (I couldnít find 09.02.95):
    Here

ē 06.10.97 @ Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela & Popper:
    Here
    Thank you very much for posting those links, I am extremely appreciative. Guessing once heard some of the newer fans will be blown away by these versions every bit as much as we were. Much obliged, be well and stay safe!

Quote:
    My pick today is:

ē #41 (12.08.98 The Centrum, Worcester, MA), with Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin (also on WH5 compilation). Never get tired of this one.
    Here
    Oh hell yeah, I am still kicking myself for selling my ticket to that show to a friend. Was too close to Christmas and I could not justify the 3 hour drive each way plus a hotel. Saw the setlist popping up on their site in real time the night of and was getting more and more pissed at myself with each song that popped up for having to bail to save $200+ or so (even if I was only a JR in college working a few nights a week for mostly tips) to head up there because man did I miss a treat I would love to have seen!

Last edited by Lcsulla; 06-06-2021 at 01:29 AM.
    Old 06-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #70
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Quote:
    Here]

No worries on posting the night after I mentioned on this one, both were great to see but I thought the one in Hartford was better but perhaps I was jaded since it was the first time I saw Harris guest and was blown away.
    Old 06-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #71
    joshg

Shows Seen: 0

Quote:
    2.24.95 @ Roseland - All Along The Watchtower with Popper & Trey:
    Here

This was my go-to listen of AATW when first getting into the band. This version is the one where Dave channels Baba Sura at the end. Ballsy at the time.

Last edited by joshg; 06-06-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 01:38 AM   #72
    Xcacel

Guests - the best live versions of songs donít feature guests, except...

Quote:
    Warren was always amazing on Cortez - at CP the place was going absolutely nuts for that one.

That show was crazy, we didn't think they could top the year before with Bela and BVJ but wow was that a great show even if the lunch ladies drove the crowd nutty at times by wailing on and on seemingly forever.

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it and that place was as loud as seeing an insane Halloween at MSG during an early 2000's winter tour. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post

Apart from the ones already mentioned, Lcsulla has seen so many shows with incredible guests. Check out his TourStats:

Guests Seen (Lcsulla]

Butch Taylor35
    Rashawn Ross14
    Brenda9
    Tawatha9
    Cindy7
    Bela Fleck4
    Eric Krasno3
    Jeff Coffin3
    John Popper3
    Robert Randolph3
    Warren Haynes3
    Xavier Rudd3
    David Ryan Harris2
    Eugenia2
    Tim Reynolds2
    Trey Anastasio2
    Benny Rietveld1
    Big Voice Jack Lerole1
    Buddy Miller1
    Carlos Santana1
    Chester Thompson1
    Dickie Betts1
    Dionne Farris1
    Emmylou Harris1
    Great Southern1
    Karl Perazzo1
    Mike Doughty1
    Neil Young1
    Sam Kininger1

At this point I am jealous too

Last edited by Xcacel; Today at 01:43 AM.