Lossless DMB Albums on Apple Music - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #31
TheLastStop123
paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Lossless DMB Albums on Apple Music

of course now I'm debating if it's worth it to throw down $550 for AirPods max to get the spatial audio effect lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #32
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Dreaming Tree in lossless on Audio Technica ATH-M50x
    What do you think of these? A coworker is looking into getting a new pair of wired headphones at a reasonable price, I know in the headphone thread some people find them uncomfortable. Thoughts?
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #33
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

here's another question - if you already have the album downloaded to your device, do you need to delete and re-add it to get the lossless and digital mastered quality version?

Quote:
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #34
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Spotify needs to make lossless free or else they risk Apple overtaking them. Apple already has free lossless, and now free Dolby Atmos on top of that. Amazon announced free lossless the day after Apple did.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #35
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    of course now I'm debating if it's worth it to throw down $550 for AirPods max to get the spatial audio effect lol
    Same lol. I thought they were stupidly overpriced at first, but I imagine they sound a lot more immersive than AirPods Pro
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #36
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Love those headphones.

What are the Ants audio files using for a DAC? I am looking to get one for my phone but haven’t figured out which one to get yet.

I am using Dragonfly Red and it is a great choice for me

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dr.../dp/B01DFMV4NQ
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #37
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    What do you think of these? A coworker is looking into getting a new pair of wired headphones at a reasonable price, I know in the headphone thread some people find them uncomfortable. Thoughts?
    They sound really good. They’re flat, meaning you get accurate sound. They’re very clear, and you can make out individual instruments very easily. They’re not bass heavy at all so if you like bass it may not be for you. But regarding comfort, I’m very picky about comfort and they don’t bother me.
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #38
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

I just answered my own question - went to play a song in dolby atmos on Apple Music and got this message:

"This song was downloaded in High Quality stereo, and the downloaded version will always play. To Listen in Dolby Atmos, remove the download and play it again"

Quote:
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #39
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I am using Dragonfly Red and it is a great choice for me

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dr.../dp/B01DFMV4NQ
    Just a note, this is a great DAC if you want to listen to Hi-res lossless at 192khz. If you just want to listen to lossless that is 48khz, which is the majority of the Apple Music library maxes out at, the $9 adapter that comes with your iPhone is sufficient.
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #40
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just a note, this is a great DAC if you want to listen to Hi-res lossless at 192khz. If you just want to listen to lossless that is 48khz, which is the majority of the Apple Music library maxes out at, the $9 adapter that comes with your iPhone is sufficient.

Correct. But the Dragonfly also boosts in terms of volume, so if you want to use headphones with some impedance (like I do), it powers them enough. I am really happy about this product.

Quote:
    They sound really good. They’re flat, meaning you get accurate sound. They’re very clear, and you can make out individual instruments very easily. They’re not bass heavy at all so if you like bass it may not be for you. But regarding comfort, I’m very picky about comfort and they don’t bother me.

I have them, but they are my last choice. Not very comfy to me (but I have big ears), music is okay, but I’d suggest to spend a bit more and get those:

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-...dDbGljaz10cnVl

There are also some dedicated thread in Ants for best headphones:

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354823

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showt...ght=headphones
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #41
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

feels like the dolby atmos probably sounds way better with AirPods Pro and not my shitty AirPods lol. sounds kind of weird with regular AirPods. the vocals sound far away.

Quote:
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #42
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Correct. But the Dragonfly also boosts in terms of volume, so if you want to use headphones with some impedance (like I do), it powers them enough. I am really happy about this product.

I have them, but they are my last choice. Not very comfy to me (but I have big ears), music is okay, but I’d suggest to spend a bit more and get those:

I've looked at those before, but a phone/laptop won't fire those headphones will it? What setup would they need to run those?
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #43
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you know this, but just in case, you don’t need the AirPod Max’s for Spatial Audio. Works on my pros (and may work on regular AirPods but I didn’t look into that).
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #44
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I think you know this, but just in case, you don’t need the AirPod Max’s for Spatial Audio. Works on my pros (and may work on regular AirPods but I didn’t look into that).
    you are correct. spatial works on the Pros, but not regular AirPods. maybe I'll try the Pros again.

also, after doing some more listening of songs with Dolby Atmos, I am not really a fan. the soundstage sounds cool, but the vocals sound flat. it's also noticeably much quieter than regular lossless stereo.

the lossless sounds great though.

Quote:
    Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #45
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    I've looked at those before, but a phone/laptop won't fire those headphones will it? What setup would they need to run those?

I have the 80 Ohm. They run great attached to my IMac. If you have any doubt you could get the 16 Ohm version: you might use those even with your smartphone.

They are just great headphones at a reasonable price. Ask Sean52692, who has decided to buy them recently.
    Old 06-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #46
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Atmos is really only going to be worth it for things mixed in atmos, rather than things that Apple is just processing into multi-channel.

Atmos mixes are pretty far and few between, though those that are done right are quite wonderful. If you’ve heard a good 5.1 mix or atmos mix, you’ll know when a non-mixed album is output to atmos…it’s disappointing to say the least.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #47
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know if you'll be getting lossless quality if you're playing through USB? I imagine yes. But does anyone know for sure?
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #48
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Lossless DMB Albums on Apple Music

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Does anyone know if you'll be getting lossless quality if you're playing through USB? I imagine yes. But does anyone know for sure?

First of all, I think that most of your questions are answered in this article: https://www.whathifi.com/amp/advice/...-your-iphone-0

I’ll add a couple of things, don’t want to be a teacher but just outline the basic concepts.

When you plug in any device to play music to your iPhone, you need to convert the a digital audio signal into an analog signal, allowing you to play the sound over headphones or speakers.

In few words, you need a DAC.
    DAC is an abbreviated term that stands for digital to analog converter. Basically, a DAC converts bits of data from digital files into an analog electronic signal at thousands of set times per second.

A long time ago, when the IPhone had a 3,5 mm jack output, this conversion was done inside the iPhone itself: there was a built in DAC, but it wasn’t too good.
    Since the IPhones now have lightning adapter (starting with the IPhone 7), the conversion occurs now outside the device (in a much better way).

Important: this conversion is where you loose quality: therefore the quality of the DAC goes a long way in determining sound quality.

Once the DAC converts the signal, an amplifier takes over. This amplifier's job is to take the signal and boost it so that it can sound clear and loud over any connected cable. Again, the quality of the amplifier affects overall sound quality.

So, where is the DAC now? If you buy special headphones with a lightning cable that goes directly in your IPhone, then the DAC is in the headphones (this is the example of the EarPods with the lightning connector).
    Otherwise, the DAC is an external device by itself. The original Apple audio adapter (lightning to to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter) is actually doing that, and it does it in a pretty good way too: see this article:
    https://www.audioreviews.org/apple-a...dapter-review/

As someone said before, therefore, for most headphones, when you use the Apple adapter you get a very good result. Technically, it supports 24-bit/48kHz, which is still Lossless sound (and is the Lossless ALAC format I have selected in the Audio Lossless setting of the iPhone).

But you might see a good reason to spend more money in a different DAC like the Audioquest Dragonfly when you need to power high impedance headphones.

My final advice: whatever you decide to do/plug into your iPhone, don’t look to much the numbers, just listen to your ears. That’s the best way to decide what is good for you.
    Old 06-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #49
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    To reap the benefits of lossless audio you would need to be using wired headphones. I will not recommend any to you bc I’m not an expert and several others in this site know FAR more than me.

Anything that’s wireless so Bluetooth/airplay etc is going to lose quality you’re correct

That’s correct.
    Today’s most advanced Bluetooth codecs are AptxHD Bluetooth and LDAC. They both allow for hi-res files to be streamed wirelessly between compatible devices (but not without compression).

• AptxHD Bluetooth supports audio at 24-bit/48kHz, but uses compression and has a maximum data rate of 576kbps.
    • LDAC supports up to 32-bit/96kHz over Bluetooth with a data rate of 990kbps.

Both of these are lower than the data rate of CD (1411kbps) which isn’t technically HiRes.

But most of all: iPhones today do not even support these fancy Bluetooth codecs!
    For example my IPhone XR supports SBC (Sub-band codec) 16-bit/48kHz.
    That’s quite a bottleneck.

So, if things don’t change, and you want to get out of wires, there are two options (at least for me)

• Attach a different audio transmitter to the IPhone, like this one https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-bt-w3. You can get it for 40$ on Amazon an supports AptxHD, but you need to attach the Apple camera kit first, and the whole thing becomes quite bulky. But they might be other devices around.

• Get this: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/audiolab-m-dac-nano
    It is a DAC that connects to the IPhone Bluetooth, but then it does an up-sampling of the incoming signal to 32-bit/384kHz before converting to analogue. Don’t ask me how it is possible, but it does a good job, and somehow improves the audio quality coming from the IPhone’s Bluetooth (according to my ears). I got it, and is is my solution on-the-go.

But, bottom line, if you want to get full quality you need a wired connection, so you’re right.

Last edited by Xcacel; 06-09-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #50
    samiota

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

sorry if this is a really dumb question, but what is the difference between plugging my headphones into a dac (such as dragonfly) and plugging my headphones into my laptop? both play music. both play lossless.
    samiota is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #51
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samiota View Post
    sorry if this is a really dumb question, but what is the difference between plugging my headphones into a dac (such as dragonfly) and plugging my headphones into my laptop? both play music. both play lossless.

Just portability.
    When I plug my headphones into my iMac I get great audio quality. Don’t know your laptop specs but most likely you don’t need a DAC.
    Old 06-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #52
    samiota

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just portability.
    When I plug my headphones into my iMac I get great audio quality. Don’t know your laptop specs but most likely you don’t need a DAC.
    gotcha. thanks for the response. i play flacs all of the time through my HP Envy (windows 10) with music bee.
    samiota is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #53
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

What sucks is it seems the lossless is only available on apple devices. I use and enjoy apple music as a service but have an android and PC, so I'm SOL.

"All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV7 can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos music tracks using any headphones."

"You can listen to lossless audio using the latest Apple Music app on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV."
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 05:16 AM   #54
    matt630

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    here's another question - if you already have the album downloaded to your device, do you need to delete and re-add it to get the lossless and digital mastered quality version?
    so far I have found that yes you do need to delete previous versions of songs/albums

My Tour Stats
    matt630 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #55
    matt630

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you are correct. spatial works on the Pros, but not regular AirPods. maybe I'll try the Pros again.

also, after doing some more listening of songs with Dolby Atmos, I am not really a fan. the soundstage sounds cool, but the vocals sound flat. it's also noticeably much quieter than regular lossless stereo.

the lossless sounds great though.
    Just an FYI I believe (according to Apple) newer AirPods (not pros) will work...

"Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:
    AirPods Pro or AirPods Max with spatial audio turned on. Go to Control Center, touch and hold the volume button, then tap Spatial Audio.
    AirPods
    BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, or Beats Solo Pro
    The built-in speakers on an iPhone XR or later (except iPhone SE), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, iPad (6th generation or later), iPad Air (3rd generation or later), or iPad mini (5th generation)
    "

My Tour Stats
    matt630 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #56
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    What sucks is it seems the lossless is only available on apple devices. I use and enjoy apple music as a service but have an android and PC, so I'm SOL.

"All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV7 can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos music tracks using any headphones."

"You can listen to lossless audio using the latest Apple Music app on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV."
    A future update will bring lossless to Apple Music’s android app and the web player
    Old 06-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #57
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

I just purchased some studio headphones that can be wired or bluetooth and then just updated my i phone and i am loving this lossless studio album content. I have a few lossless live trax but only had CD quality albums before this. Also didn't want to pay 25 a month for tidal and have been an apple music sub. I am enjoying the music in a totally different light between the studio headphones and the lossless quality. Same with some other artists.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #58
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I've seriously been getting into the new Apple Music Spatial Audio - Lossless, Dolby Atmos, and Apple Digital Master via the latest Apple TV that just came out through my home audio system (Sony dolby vision TV, Denon receiver, & B&W ceiling speakers) and it's freaking awesome!!

I have a 215 DMB, D&T, & DM albums in my own Library, but now I find myself going to Apple Music for content because of the quality upgrade recently.

In Apple Music DMB, the second music video is Watchtower from Europe 2009 and I compared the quality to the full DMB 2009 Europe concert film I purchased (movies iTunes)... of course it's just my eyes and ears but when I watch both songs on Apple TV I swear the Apple Music video has higher quality vs the concert film. Can someone confirm this?

Love the artists landing page in Apple Music with Top Songs, Essential Albums, Albums, Music Videos, Artists Playlists, Singles & EP's, Live Albums, and Compilations. IMO no other streaming service comes close to Apple Music, but i've been sucked into the ecosystem long ago.
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #59
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Unrelated to lossless, but Apple Music puts essential albums on the artists page. For DMB it’s the Big 3 and Everyday. You think Everyday deserves essential status with the Big 3?
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #60
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    Unrelated to lossless, but Apple Music puts essential albums on the artists page. For DMB it’s the Big 3 and Everyday. You think Everyday deserves essential status with the Big 3?
    I would say "essential albums" should probably be the big three and then throw in Big Whiskey in place of Everyday
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote