Big Whiskey is the Best Since LWS - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #31
chadizzy1
Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Big Whiskey is the Best Since LWS

It's so nice to see love for AFTW in here. Seems like people hate on it all the time.
chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #32
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I prefer BW over AFTW/Everyday

BTCS
    Crash
    UTTAD
    BS
    BW
    AFTW
    ED
    SU
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #33
    stef330

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    It's so nice to see love for AFTW in here. Seems like people hate on it all the time.
    Like me, I hate on it all the time haha. I dig Broken Things, Mercy, Snow, and Soldier...the problem is I think the other songs are just so bad. From Gaucho to Rooftop (outside of The Riff) is just brutal.

For me:

BTCS
    Busted Stuff
    UTTAD
    Crash
    Big Whiskey
    Everyday

Stand Up
    Away from the World
    Old 05-05-2018, 05:23 AM   #34
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree it's nice to see. I've been listening to that a lot lately since the Steve Lillywhite podcast interview which made we obviously revisit all of the "Lillywhite" albums.

I also think BW and SU get too much hate too. I get it I suppose but there are things about those I still enjoy. Anxious and curious to hear the production quality on the new album. Steve is still the best producer of the DMB sound.
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 AM   #35
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

BW is better than Busted Stuff? Ya, okay. Busted Stuff is a great album with some of Dave’s best songs.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #36
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    BW is better than Busted Stuff? Ya, okay. Busted Stuff is a great album with some of Dave’s best songs.
    To each their own my friend, this world would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes!
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 05:53 AM   #37
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

As a fan, I've been satisfied with both Big Whiskey AND Away From The World. You can like both, IT'S POSSIBLE!

This site likes to rewrite history and even their own thoughts. For example, nobody is gonna admit how in-demand Shake Me was in 2009 ("Why aren't they playing it?") or how (No, I'm not making this up) Time Bomb had "Seek Up potential" live. You and Me wasn't even hated, just seen as the obvious pop-friendly love song on the album.

I feel that BW gets knocked on far too much here, and people forget how enamored they were with it back in 2009-10. That album has a good punch, a fun vibe and flow to it. I recall seeing "A step in the right direction" being said soooo much around here. The sets being heavy with the songs was no help, you're going to tire of anything that's constant at what's supposed to be an unpredictable show. And I'm sure someone's gonna say people don't get tired of the classics, but if you look back to the archives, people were tired of songs like Tripping Billies and Don't Drink the Water during the 90s. Hell, Too Much is one of my all time favorites and I was gas'd on it at one point, admittedly.

AFTW is terrific, but a tad overpraised. The album starts out on fire with a 3 song run and ends triumphantly on another 3 song run (These 6 songs arguably better than BW on its own), but the middle run of Gaucho through If Only really lulls and drags. The Riff is pretty awesome, but gets caught up in all the middle of this. Rooftop really feels like a revelation after If Only. Much of the album is full of weak choruses, too. Yes, BW had some too but Dave sold them better. The album has more of that classic sound, but it feels like they are reaching a little much and aren't as interested in doing so. Of course, these songs didn't get the overload being played live, so people want them more.

I almost go back and forth on the two albums. I'm sure I'm going to be told I'm wrong by people who were praising and enjoying BW back in 2009. But, its a very good, solid album that gets treated like its a complete dung heap around here.

Last edited by btpeters; 05-05-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #38
    KClaw

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    As a fan, I've been satisfied with both Big Whiskey AND Away From The World. You can like both, IT'S POSSIBLE!

This site likes to rewrite history and even their own thoughts. For example, nobody is gonna admit how in-demand Shake Me was in 2009 ("Why aren't they playing it?") or how (No, I'm not making this up) Time Bomb had "Seek Up potential" live. You and Me wasn't even hated, just seen as the obvious pop-friendly love song on the album.

I feel that BW gets knocked on far too much here, and people forget how enamored they were with it back in 2009-10. That album has a good punch, a fun vibe and flow to it. I recall seeing "A step in the right direction" being said soooo much around here. The sets being heavy with the songs was no help, you're going to tire of anything that's constant at what's supposed to be an unpredictable show. And I'm sure someone's gonna say people don't get tired of the classics, but if you look back to the archives, people were tired of songs like Tripping Billies and Don't Drink the Water during the 90s. Hell, Too Much is one of my all time favorites and I was gas'd on it at one point, admittedly.

AFTW is terrific, but a tad overpraised. The album starts out on fire with a 3 song run and ends triumphantly on another 3 song run (These 6 songs arguably better than BW on its own), but the middle run of Gaucho through If Only really lulls and drags. The Riff is pretty awesome, but gets caught up in all the middle of this. Rooftop really feels like a revelation after If Only. Much of the album is full of weak choruses, too. Yes, BW had some too but Dave sold them better. The album has more of that classic sound, but it feels like they are reaching a little much and aren't as interested in doing so. Of course, these songs didn't get the overload being played live, so people want them more.

I almost go back and forth on the two albums. I'm sure I'm going to be told I'm wrong by people who were praising and enjoying BW back in 2009. But, its a very good, solid album that gets treated like its a complete dung heap around here.
    Yeah I'm pretty much on the same page with you on BW and AFTW. For reasons (Roi) I'm more emotionally invested in BW but I do like them both and agree with the strengths you've pointed out. The only difference is a really dig the vocal performance on If Only so I like that one. At least in the studio. I may have seen it live once so the jury is out on that.
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #39
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KClaw View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty much on the same page with you on BW and AFTW. For reasons (Roi) I'm more emotionally invested in BW but I do like them both and agree with the strengths you've pointed out. The only difference is a really dig the vocal performance on If Only so I like that one. At least in the studio. I may have seen it live once so the jury is out on that.
    I love the hypnotic outro to If Only a lot. I could almost listen to it go on and on. Really love Boyd on it just as it starts fading out. I don't think its a bad song, its just at the tail end of 5 very mellow songs in a row, which says more about the structure of the album than it does If Only.
    Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #40
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Oh yeah, I love re-reading posts from 2009 on here. People loved Big Whiskey. And Shake Me.
    Old 05-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #41
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh yeah, I love re-reading posts from 2009 on here. People loved Big Whiskey. And Shake Me.
    Man Shake Me was so strong when it was released. It’s maybe the first song by DMB that required heavy production to make it sound so good, hence why the live version feels flat. I’m envisioning Samurai Cop and Bob Law with potential to be these types of studio tracks
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #42
    ravens24

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

!~

BW is definitely up there behind the Big 3-4...AFTW is the album that sound uninspired to me. Broken Things is solid, If Only is a nice studio track but sleeper live, Snow Outside is solid, but most of the album just isn't that creative to me compared to the other albums...it seems like they just came up with a simple riff in the studio and then recorded a song out of it...Belly Full is a skip and Belly Belly Nice is sick, but the more you listen to it the more you feel like you are listening to a late night tv show theme.

BW is just more original to me and has about 100x more energy, although I would say AFTW wins in terms of production. BW would be arguably the best album for me if the track list were:

1. Grux
    2. Shake Me
    3. Funny
    4. LITHOG
    5. Why I Am
    6. Dive In
    8. Spaceman
    9. Cornbread
    10. Alligator Pie
    11. Seven
    12. Time Bomb (LeRoi "That Pace" Version)
    13. Sugar Will
    ravens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #43
    Jollymonkey

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I happen to think AFTW is overall a much stronger album. BW was a more original approach and maybe has more energy. The end run on BW is terrible from Time Bomb to You and Me, its a rough stretch.

I look at these songs:
    Snow Outside
    Rooftop
    Broken Things

...and the only 2 songs that approach these songs on BW are Squirm and LITHOG (though I personally love Spaceman, its not nearly as good as those other tunes)

I wasnt including Beach Ball which I think is probably the best from the BW sessions
    Jollymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #44
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

My Tour Central Stats

Beach Ball and Little Red Bird should have found a place on the album. They sound pretty finished and really good production-wise. People will dog You & Me, but it wound up being one of their most successful hits in recent memory, so commercially they made the right pick there. I'm not a Spaceman hater, but that one really falls flat on the album (I really dug the Carter intros for it back in 2011, too).
    Old 05-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #45
    bradnessjk

My Tour Central Stats

So let me get this right or straight... 97% of you do not like, (when the world ends, dreams of our fathers, so right, If i had it All, what you are, Angel, fool to think , sleep to dream her, mother father?) I really must be a bad human cause I really like that release. Still. I liked Big Whiskey when it first came out, but the songs are not and have not since Everyday and prior, a main stay in the brain or player. Ill concur Stand Up bites. Lets just leave it at that. However, BW and AWFTW are well produced and songs are good but they just do not have that DMB wow factor! But yes, BW is better than AWFTW. I guess. lol Everyday is better than both however. Fool to think, great song. Fun to play on acoustic and very challenging as our most songs from Everyday. I just never have understood the hate. I'm just sayin'.
    bradnessjk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #46
    paultwood1

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradnessjk View Post
    So let me get this right or straight... 97% of you do not like, (when the world ends, dreams of our fathers, so right, If i had it All, what you are, Angel, fool to think , sleep to dream her, mother father?) I really must be a bad human cause I really like that release. Still. I liked Big Whiskey when it first came out, but the songs are not and have not since Everyday and prior, a main stay in the brain or player. Ill concur Stand Up bites. Lets just leave it at that. However, BW and AWFTW are well produced and songs are good but they just do not have that DMB wow factor! But yes, BW is better than AWFTW. I guess. lol Everyday is better than both however. Fool to think, great song. Fun to play on acoustic and very challenging as our most songs from Everyday. I just never have understood the hate. I'm just sayin'.
    It's hated because, from what I understand, people were promised sweet tea (ie. The Lillywhite Sessions) and given unsweet tea (Everyday). People can like both, they can only like one, but when you order one thing and are given another, you get mad.
    paultwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #47
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paultwood1 View Post
    It's hated because, from what I understand, people were promised sweet tea (ie. The Lillywhite Sessions) and given unsweet tea (Everyday). People can like both, they can only like one, but when you order one thing and are given another, you get mad.
    That's gotta be the best analogy I've seen in a while.
    Old 05-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #48
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoy 75% of Everyday very well (i friggin LOVE So Right, Fool To Think & Space Between). Why, if we say we like something at all or maybe say we prefer one thing a little more does it mean we despise or hate that other thing in the comparison? You can enjoy multiple things, its allowed. It doesn't have to be an either/or/sudden death situation with everything. If someone says they like BW on this site people immediately jump to some conclusion that they hate the big 3 or prefer it to them, which is quite hilarious and very rarely the case.

Last edited by btpeters; 05-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Old 05-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #49
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

My Tour Central Stats

There hasn't been an album that was really worked on as much as BW, since BTCS. Everyone seemed all in with it....and the product is very good. If it was played half as much from 09-12, people I believe would feel better about it.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #50
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If they played Shake Me at the same speed as they played it on the album, I think it would have been fine. But they sped through it so quickly live, it sucked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    There hasn't been an album that was really worked on as much as BW, since BTCS. Everyone seemed all in with it....and the product is very good. If it was played half as much from 09-12, people I believe would feel better about it.
    I agree.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #51
    ravens24

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jollymonkey View Post
    I happen to think AFTW is overall a much stronger album. BW was a more original approach and maybe has more energy. The end run on BW is terrible from Time Bomb to You and Me, its a rough stretch.

I look at these songs:
    Snow Outside
    Rooftop
    Broken Things

...and the only 2 songs that approach these songs on BW are Squirm and LITHOG (though I personally love Spaceman, its not nearly as good as those other tunes)

I wasnt including Beach Ball which I think is probably the best from the BW sessions

Yeah I forgot Squirm and Beach Ball is tight too and yes, the run at the end of BW isn't the best. Rooftop to me sounds it belongs on Everyday, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So Right is a killer song live.
    ravens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #52
    fan42days
    08.26.06 mother bitches

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Personally...

BTCS
    LWS
    UTTAD
    Crash
    AFTW
    BW
    ED
    SU
    fan42days is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #53
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Big 3
    BTCS
    Crash
    UTTAD

Little 3
    tLWS / BS
    AFTW
    BW

Bottom 2
    ED
    SU
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #54
    Digital Man

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with the OP. The three albums from the 90's stand far above everything else, but I like Big Whiskey the most out of everything else.

It is hard to rank LWS/Busted Stuff. The Busted Stuff versions sound too stiff and sterile, but the demo sound of the LWS makes it hard to rate it high.
    Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #55
    Captainnumber36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
    I agree with the OP. The three albums from the 90's stand far above everything else, but I like Big Whiskey the most out of everything else.

It is hard to rank LWS/Busted Stuff. The Busted Stuff versions sound too stiff and sterile, but the demo sound of the LWS makes it hard to rate it high.
    Definitely! And I take my comment in the OP about WIA, it's awesome on BW!

Captainnumber36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #56
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paultwood1 View Post
    And, to me, Busted Stuff is the sugar packet they gave you after complaining. Sure, there's sugar in there now, but it's just not the same.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #57
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

My Tour Central Stats

BW the actual studio album is above average. It's a solid album that sounds and is mixed well. The hate BW gets is because for the last 9 years, songs that translated terribly live (Seven, Shake Me, You and Me, Spaceman and to a lesser extent Time Bomb and Lying In The Hands Of God) have been overplayed to an insane level.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #58
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The difference in quality between studio Spaceman and live Spaceman is crazy.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #59
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

To my ear and musical tastes, Big Whiskey has aged quite poorly. Away From The World has aged quite well.

Everyday has aged fairly well. Stand Up has aged like the Nazi who drank from the wrong chalice at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Busted Stuff has aged....I don't even know how to describe it. Maybe just "meh."

The big three have aged like fine wine.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #60
    SBSFC91

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Man I used to cruise around town with Shake Me blaring. I have zero shame in admitting it
    SBSFC91 is offline   Reply With Quote