Joe Paterno is dying - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #91
smokew11
1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Joe Paterno is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruscott35 View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to just keep their mouth shut instead of denying it? You Penn State slappies always want to believe the most elaborate shit when it comes to that school.
haha im not a penn state slappie

how many times has there been a coach being fired or a trade being made where there were 1000 rumors and the owner or gm said "not true"...until the minute they went to the podium and said "fired"

all it takes is a nurse on the take for $100 texting someone at onwardstate...the Paterno's deny it becuase they want to make their own statement. It isnt hard to believe, and its not reaching. If I'm Jay Paterno, I'd rather take the podium and be able to make a statement than step out my door and be barraged with questions

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #92
    cruscott35

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    right, the paterno family is the only group of people who ever denied something that was true so they could hold off on confirming it.
    This ain't a trade or a FA signing. I've never heard of something like that when it comes to death.
    cruscott35 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #93
    FunkyTeaParty

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    You are saying that Joe also faked his death and moved to South America?
    No, you said that.

I don't know nuthin'.
    FunkyTeaParty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #94
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    I just checked thru my Facebook feed. None of my friends were irresponsible enough to post anything about his 'death'

haha same here...my random drunk college friends apparently have the same journalistic integrity as CBS
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #95
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Wonder if the ER worried about calling the doctor for fear of interupting their Saturday night.
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #96
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This ain't a trade or a FA signing. I've never heard of something like that when it comes to death.
    there also hasnt been a death this controversial in quite some time. gotta believe the patenro's want to control whatever statement they have to make

if a former president were to die and an intern texted it to deadspin, the head of PR would deny deny deny...until the statement is written.

Last edited by smokew11; 01-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #97
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    I just checked thru my Facebook feed. None of my friends were irresponsible enough to post anything about his 'death'

Funny... that's where I first saw it. One of my facebook friends 'reported' it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #98
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Smoke, its much more likely that he's still alive, but will be dead soon.
    Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #99
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    I'm sure his family really cares.
    Your point being....?

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #100
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Smoke, its much more likely that he's still alive, but will be dead soon.
    i think he's prob still alive too. doesnt negate anything i said
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #101
    jackisback24
    He's using hypnosis!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

bad timing department: SNL repeat right now. Get better, JoePa.
    jackisback24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #102
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Whether he's passed or not, every joke in this thread makes me sick. The fact that so many can't see past the Sandusky situation -- one which we will still learn much more about from Paterno's end -- to all the great, great things Paterno did throughout his life is appalling.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #103
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Whether he's passed or not, every joke in this thread makes me sick. The fact that so many can't see past the Sandusky situation -- one which we will still learn much more about from Paterno's end -- to all the great, great things Paterno did throughout his life is appalling.
    The situation you want people to look past is where he made his life's biggest impact. It's more important than sports. It's ok if you want people to look past it, but I'm surprised you don't understand why that's impossible for many.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #104
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't realize it took rape to make people just start not liking him suddenly.
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #105
    DMBzilla
    tour.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    The situation you want people to look past is where he made his life's biggest impact. It's more important than sports. It's ok if you want people to look past it, but I'm surprised you don't understand why that's impossible for many.
    Bold -- Sure, to you, and probably to hundreds of other ignorant people who have no idea about the good he's done for higher education in PA outside of college football. However, over the past couple months the AG has met with Paterno numerous times to collect hours of statements and testimony. Do you really think that would have been the case if there was really nothing more to his side of the story?

Also, this has been beaten into the ground, but I don't give a fuck -- if Curley and Schultz (and probably Spanier as well) do their fucking jobs, not a single person questions Paterno's actions. The morality of one man should never be judged based upon the action, or inaction, of others.
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #106
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's just shitty people who like to bitch about something. They all have much more moral fiber than Joe Pa apparently. Also, it's ants attempt to be funny. Which, no one on ants is really that funny anyway. And there's nothing to joke about. A guy is dying of cancer.
    Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #107
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bold -- Sure, to you, and probably to hundreds of other ignorant people who have no idea about the good he's done for higher education in PA outside of college football. However, over the past couple months the AG has met with Paterno numerous times to collect hours of statements and testimony. Do you really think that would have been the case if there was really nothing more to his side of the story?
    Ignorant? I doubt the PA education system is falling apart if Paterno wasn't around. The victims in this whole fiasco had their lives destroyed.

Quote:
    Also, this has been beaten into the ground, but I don't give a fuck -- if Curley and Schultz (and probably Spanier as well) do their fucking jobs, not a single person questions Paterno's actions. The morality of one man should never be judged based upon the action, or inaction, of others.
    This is just a back and forth. You think he did enough. I think he did not do nearly enough minus what was in the best interest of Penn State. I look at the facts and hear what you say and give you a . You see the facts and hear what I say and you give me a .

I feel bad for you or anyone else who's been impacted and is saddened by the passing of Paterno. Knowing what everyone else knows, and I assure you it's not out of ignorance, I believe he deserves plenty of blame.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #108
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Ya I'm no fan of Joe Pa, but to joke about him dying is sad.....
    uro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #109
    DMBzilla
    tour.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ignorant? I doubt the PA education system is falling apart if Paterno wasn't around. The victims in this whole fiasco had their lives destroyed.
    So now he had to single-handedly save the PA education system in order to be recognized? Come on.

The bottom line is that a man who did far more harm than good over the course of a lengthy and storied career is dying of horrible illness that has affected millions of us, and yet people are still ready to crack jokes. It's disgusting.

Quote:
    This is just a back and forth. You think he did enough. I think he did not do nearly enough minus what was in the best interest of Penn State. I look at the facts and hear what you say and give you a . You see the facts and hear what I say and you give me a .
    I don't want to get into this too much here, but the "facts" based upon the most recent testimony is that the general feeling by many at PSU was that Gary Schultz was considered to be a representative (the head, in fact) of the University Police Force. Curley involved Schultz for that very reason. Schultz did nothing but play a part in sweeping the whole thing under the rug.

If Paterno went to the police station and filed a report, recounting the story exactly as he did to Curley, and just like '98 no charges were filed, what then? Would he have been deemed to have done enough?
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #110
    ethaxton
    eLL

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Sandusky situation or not, I hate to see anyone go out like this. The last few months of his life have been horrible for one reason or another. It's sad.

Who gives a shit if someone wants to joke about it though. It's not like anyone here was close to Joe or personally knew him. Getting up in arms about what random people say on the internet over this is pretty sad in itself.

Shows Attended
    ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #111
    Majew10
    Carl Spackler

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'm glad to hear that Joe is still fighting...I hope he recovers and pulls this one out, for a man I've never had the pleasure of meeting, I still have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Its such a shame that one error of judgement will plague his legacy of good will and charity towards PSU and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. There needs to be more people in this world like Joseph V. Paterno.

Just makes me sick that a error by a 75 year old man (at the time) cancels out 61 years of hard work, loyalty, charity, and leadership that Joe Paterno has done. He lived his life shaping and educating others to go on and do great things with their lives. Joe Paterno has probably done more good then everyone in this thread combined.
    http://www.DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=213
    Majew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #112
    Majew10
    Carl Spackler

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
    Sandusky situation or not, I hate to see anyone go out like this. The last few months of his life have been horrible for one reason or another. It's sad.

Who gives a shit if someone wants to joke about it though. It's not like anyone here was close to Joe or personally knew him. Getting up in arms about what random people say on the internet over this is pretty sad in itself.
    Honestly growing up in PA, going out to state college (I did a lot between 2005-2010), going to football games and just hanging around town, you see what great things Joe has done for that community and the state. He lived on McKee Street his whole PSU career, in a ranch home and was always open and welcoming to the public. For as much money as he made, he gave as much back to the university. There are not many people in this world like Joe Paterno. Its such a shame that a lot of people don't realize this, and only go with the one wrong doing JoePa has done since I can remember. Research all the good things this man has done and I bet you'll change your opinion.
    Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #113
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

ya, because paterno believing other people would do their jobs outweighs the hundreds of thousands of students he has helped who use the library he donated, the money he donated for scholarships to under privileged students who wouldn't have gone to college without them, or the thousands of boys he turned into respectable men through his coaching.

sandusky is the monster, and schultz and curley are the ones who didn't do their jobs, but its all paterno's fault everything happened, and those few boys are more important than the thousands upon thousands who he has helped.
    Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #114
    Majew10
    Carl Spackler

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDla...&feature=share

This video always makes me tear up a litle
    Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #115
    K3nTaKa0s
    H2P!

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

While I despise State Penn and anyone associated to it with a passion, I don't think I could wish cancer, or even death, on any of those people. Some classless remarks made on here this evening. I'm not surprised, of course.
    K3nTaKa0s is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #116
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If Paterno went to the police station and filed a report, recounting the story exactly as he did to Curley, and just like '98 no charges were filed, what then? Would he have been deemed to have done enough?
    YES!!! x1000000000000000000

Paterno could have done everything within his power in that scenario. The fact it was Paterno bringing it up it's less likely to get swept under a rug. Maybe for others that still wouldn't be enough, but I'd have applauded him. Doing the right thing is more important than the results it would yield.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    ya, because paterno believing other people would do their jobs outweighs the hundreds of thousands of students he has helped who use the library he donated, the money he donated for scholarships to under privileged students who wouldn't have gone to college without them, or the thousands of boys he turned into respectable men through his coaching.

sandusky is the monster, and schultz and curley are the ones who didn't do their jobs, but its all paterno's fault everything happened, and those few boys are more important than the thousands upon thousands who he has helped.
    Whoa champ! I'm not placing ALL the blame on Paterno. He played his part and that's enough for me. There's plenty of guilt to go around.

I'm not trying to make anyone upset who wishes to mourn Paterno. Not everyone is going to agree he's a person worth mourning. Some people even view him as a monster. I'm not one of those people. I just think he's a bad guy for some of the decisions he made.

I don't think either of us will changing each others minds. I think we can both live with that. Don't worry about how others will remember him, but how you will.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #117
    sean52692

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    Cant say i care one way or the other. Great football coach, great ringleader of the biggest child sex ring east of Thailand

great career. Nice long life.
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #118
    Jake

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Majew10 View Post
    I'm glad to hear that Joe is still fighting...I hope he recovers and pulls this one out, for a man I've never had the pleasure of meeting, I still have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Its such a shame that one error of judgement will plague his legacy of good will and charity towards PSU and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. There needs to be more people in this world like Joseph V. Paterno.

Just makes me sick that a error by a 75 year old man (at the time) cancels out 61 years of hard work, loyalty, charity, and leadership that Joe Paterno has done. He lived his life shaping and educating others to go on and do great things with their lives. Joe Paterno has probably done more good then everyone in this thread combined.
    when I say Woody Hayes, you think punching a Clemson player in the mouth.

When I say Joe Pa, 90% of the country will think sex scandal.

that's life.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #119
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    when I say Woody Hayes, you think punching a Clemson player in the mouth.

When I say Joe Pa, 90% of the country will think sex scandal.

that's life.
    Then I'm glad I'm in the 10% that isn't stupid enough to be persuaded by the media

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #120
    Jake

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Then I'm glad I'm in the 10% that isn't stupid enough to be persuaded by the media
    Tell me what you know about Steve "psycho" Lyons? former baseball player.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote