2023/2024 Tour Rumors Thread - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #121
OneSweetMonkey
O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Summer 2023 Tour Rumors Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBBeav View Post
Your logic here is why I think we aren't getting more than 1 or 2 stadium stops next summer. There will be 30-40% empty seats in most venues.

Take Mansfield - the pavilion always has empty seats (and I mean dozens to hundreds). You put that crowd in Fenway and it isn't even filling up lower level.
They would do fine at Fenway because it's Fenway Park. If Zach Brown Band can play there, so can DMB.
OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-29-2022, 09:22 AM   #122
    great_divide_4

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Fenway, Citi Field and Wrigley

Otherwise stick to amphitheaters in the summer.
    great_divide_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #123
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    Flecktones + Umphrey's McGee openers would be perfect
    holy yes, it would.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    That would put a lot of people in the seats for sure..
    I would certainly probably ADD shows, instead of my current plan of cutting shows next summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by illinifan View Post
    I'm aware. If Dave or another member said F America, I'd stop following the same day.
    100% the same.

Quote:
    its unbelievable how basically every stop still has 1/3 (maybe even more) of the arena that haven't sold. obviously that'll change as the dates approach closer but... yikes.
    that's what happens when they switch it up and pick terrible cities for shows.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #124
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by great_divide_4 View Post
    Fenway, Citi Field and Wrigley

Otherwise stick to amphitheaters in the summer.
    No, no, and no. They need to stick to the LN sheds and the select summer tour arena stops. Great ballparks horrible places for the majority of fans to actually hear the music. While they would have demand it would be utterly stupid to play those venues.

I have been to all 3 for baseball games and Fenway is my favorite ballpark to visit to see the Yankees I go yearly. But unless you have pit tickets at these ballparks you are disconnected from the stage.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #125
    jjlak15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    No, no, and no. They need to stick to the LN sheds and the select summer tour arena stops. Great ballparks horrible places for the majority of fans to actually hear the music. While they would have demand it would be utterly stupid to play those venues.

I have been to all 3 for baseball games and Fenway is my favorite ballpark to visit to see the Yankees I go yearly. But unless you have pit tickets at these ballparks you are disconnected from the stage.
    I would argue no one cares about being disconnected from the stage than a small small percentage. If they played Wrigley on a Saturday night in June/July /August this summer I bet it would be their highest attended show in the last 10 years. If the Lumineers and ZBB can play Wrigley, so can DMB.

Fan base is aging and want convenience. Wrigley is a hell a lot easier getting to and from than Northerly Island. There are bars/restaurants and ubers readily available around the park. Its a no brainer for them to play 1 night at Wrigley over 2 at NI again, but thats just me.
    jjlak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #126
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjlak15 View Post
    I would argue no one cares about being disconnected from the stage than a small small percentage. If they played Wrigley on a Saturday night in June/July /August this summer I bet it would be their highest attended show in the last 10 years. If the Lumineers and ZBB can play Wrigley, so can DMB.

Fan base is aging and want convenience. Wrigley is a hell a lot easier getting to and from than Northerly Island. There are bars/restaurants and ubers readily available around the park. Its a no brainer for them to play 1 night at Wrigley over 2 at NI again, but thats just me.
    The fanbase is aging hence why the small seats at Fenway are not ideal for fans lol

Northerly Island probably the worse venue on tour. I don't know anyone who loves that venue and I specifically skipped my midwest DMB trip last year to go this year when alpine came around.

And fans do care about proximity to the stage. That's why people complain about the warehouse and or only having uppers available at non Platinum ticket prices.

Chicago aside as a Northeastern fan Mansfield and Holmdel/Jones Beach beat having to be stuck at Citi where I have seen dead and co. If you are not at the soundboard or pit for Citi the sound and vantage points suck.
    Old 09-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #127
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

I cannot for the life of me, figure out why they charge so much for the upper levels in these arenas. Nobody wants to sit up there, but some casual fans would do it if the tickets were $20-30.

Seattle, Chicago and Dayton will fill up by showtime. Both MSG shows are pretty much already sold out.

Portland, Boise, SLC, Omaha and Minneapolis will probably have portions of the upper levels curtained off. I've seen this before, but a band like DMB should not have to do this. It doesn't have to be this way, but they're simply charging too much for these undesireable upper level tickets.

The Vancouver show will not even sell enough tickets to fill the floor and the lower bowl. Probably won't sell 5,000 tickets.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 06:13 PM   #128
    RunawayTwoStep

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    I cannot for the life of me, figure out why they charge so much for the upper levels in these arenas. Nobody wants to sit up there, but some casual fans would do it if the tickets were $20-30.

Seattle, Chicago and Dayton will fill up by showtime. Both MSG shows are pretty much already sold out.

Portland, Boise, SLC, Omaha and Minneapolis will probably have portions of the upper levels curtained off. I've seen this before, but a band like DMB should not have to do this. It doesn't have to be this way, but they're simply charging too much for these undesireable upper level tickets.

The Vancouver show will not even sell enough tickets to fill the floor and the lower bowl. Probably won't sell 5,000 tickets.
    Agreed, you’d think another butt in a seat is better than nothing, another car paying to park, another person buying concessions, etc…

LN/TM had a huge $25 ticket sale for a variety of shows earlier this year, they should think about doing it again for these poor selling shows
    RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #129
    Tom Brady
    48 and counting

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Your logic here is why I think we aren't getting more than 1 or 2 stadium stops next summer. There will be 30-40% empty seats in most venues.

Take Mansfield - the pavilion always has empty seats (and I mean dozens to hundreds). You put that crowd in Fenway and it isn't even filling up lower level.
    Terrible comparison. Mansfield is in the middle of nowhere, a complete pain in the ass to exit (unless you pay to park), and sells uncovered seats at $85 that were once part of the lawn. Lots of those seats are empty at Mansfield shows because it’s typically “the lawn”….

You will have a lot more people willing to attend a show at Fenway. Big fans, casual fans, traveling fans, people looking for a concert in the city, ect… They would have no problem selling a show at Fenway park.
    Tom Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 07:28 PM   #130
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom Brady View Post
    Terrible comparison. Mansfield is in the middle of nowhere, a complete pain in the ass to exit (unless you pay to park), and sells uncovered seats at $85 that were once part of the lawn. Lots of those seats are empty at Mansfield shows because it’s typically “the lawn”….

You will have a lot more people willing to attend a show at Fenway. Big fans, casual fans, traveling fans, people looking for a concert in the city, ect… They would have no problem selling a show at Fenway park.
    Fine article on this subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschl...h=6d7606c838da

Apparently Fenway holds about 36,000 for a concert? They will sell around 25,000 for the show. I bet that gives them more profit end of day with the same amount of work than Mansfield but that is what we are looking at.

Someone brought up ZBB...ZBB plays these places and doesn't come close to filling the venues. But I believe ZBB is severely mismanaged which is a different story.

Last edited by DMBBeav; 09-29-2022 at 07:30 PM.
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #131
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post

Boise is sold out and the tickets you see on there are resale tickets by scalpers. Boise is the best selling west coast show and the venue size that perfectly fits the emerging market.
    Old 09-29-2022, 10:03 PM   #132
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Flecktones + Umphrey's McGee openers would be perfect
    For stadiums I'm not sure if Umphrey's would make that much of a difference in ticket sales. Flecktones, maybe. But two of like Nathaniel Rateliff, Jason Isbell, TTB, maybe even Leon Bridges would definitely help fill seats.

Last edited by BTCS_JTR; 09-29-2022 at 10:04 PM.
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 06:12 AM   #133
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    For stadiums I'm not sure if Umphrey's would make that much of a difference in ticket sales. Flecktones, maybe. But two of like Nathaniel Rateliff, Jason Isbell, TTB, maybe even Leon Bridges would definitely help fill seats.
    I agree 100% and I am a huge UM fan. A more mainstream opener is going to help sales and even get some Jason Isbell or Nathaniel Rateliff fans who aren't huge into DMB to show up just for the opener kind of like the Hella Mega Tour Weezer, FOB and Green Day went on last year.
    Old 09-30-2022, 06:36 AM   #134
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

if the Flecktones and UM opened every show I would be travelling the country to follow the tour. I reckon there is a solid group that would try and go to more shows if we got openers like those two
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 06:51 AM   #135
    madpiker

Shows Seen: 132

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    if the Flecktones and UM opened every show I would be travelling the country to follow the tour. I reckon there is a solid group that would try and go to more shows if we got openers like those two
    * raises hand *

but I acknowledge they're not going to be a big draw for stadium shows.
    Gorge FAQ ---Gorge Roster/Flag list
    madpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 07:05 AM   #136
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

well is the stadium tour really going to happen?? unless they can hit exclusively minor-league fields in big market areas it just isnt plausible
    UM + Flecktones would draw a lot to non-stadium shows if you ask me
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #137
    SoCalDMBLover

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Boise is sold out and the tickets you see on there are resale tickets by scalpers. Boise is the best selling west coast show and the venue size that perfectly fits the emerging market.

There is no way Nampa is sold out. I can pull up 8 excellent face value tickets together in Section A3, Row D.
    SoCalDMBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #138
    KeithBox007
    Chasing Alligator Pie

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I've only seen this band play baseball stadiums in San Francisco 2005 and Fenway 2006. San Francisco had the Black Eyed Peas opening both nights, and I recall being surprised at how empty the stadium seating was at the time. I was on the floor both nights, and the venue seemed to overwhelm the stage, it was massive, but was easy to get good seats on the floor. The sheer volume of bongs and glass pieces in general floating through the venue that night blew my mind.

Fenway I recall being a much harder ticket to get, and an extremely electric atmosphere, stadium packed both nights, Sheryl Crow opened. One of the loudest crowd pops I've ever experienced was when they started playing Sweet Caroline N2. The venue exploded.

After the Grand Rapids show last November, I decided to restrict cross-country DMB traveling to two or three-night sets moving forward, though I'd probably throw that out the window if they were going to play single nights at Fenway or Wrigley. Easy to arrange a fun weekend in Chi-town or Boston around a big DMB show. Personally, I'll sacrifice the sound quality/proximity to band for the overall atmosphere/experience for a destination venue as needed.
    Old 09-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #139
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fine article on this subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschl...h=6d7606c838da

Apparently Fenway holds about 36,000 for a concert? They will sell around 25,000 for the show. I bet that gives them more profit end of day with the same amount of work than Mansfield but that is what we are looking at.

Someone brought up ZBB...ZBB plays these places and doesn't come close to filling the venues. But I believe ZBB is severely mismanaged which is a different story.

I used to love ZBB. I am now more a casual fan--the owl and the solo album/side projects really turned me off. The new album is better and i may get to another show next year due to Hop's ALS diagnosis, but as a band, their best days are behind them.
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #140
    steve4134

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Thats a bold claim. How do you know ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilant420 View Post
    No one will believe me (which is fine) but Gilford is one of the bands favorite places.
    steve4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #141
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 134

My Tour Central Stats

Popping into this thread for the first time.

If a new album is coming… there could be spring shows?

Only rumor we have so far is stadiums?

Ugh.

I do think they could pull a good crowd at Wrigley for 2 nights though….

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #142
    jjlak15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post
    I used to love ZBB. I am now more a casual fan--the owl and the solo album/side projects really turned me off. The new album is better and i may get to another show next year due to Hop's ALS diagnosis, but as a band, their best days are behind them.
    Yeah Zac went into a dark place after his divorce. Saw them at Wrigley this past summer and they put on a great show. I was shocked how packed Wrigley was and the set was very good. Best days definitely behind them, but way better than a few years ago.
    Old 09-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #143
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah Zac went into a dark place after his divorce. Saw them at Wrigley this past summer and they put on a great show. I was shocked how packed Wrigley was and the set was very good. Best days definitely behind them, but way better than a few years ago.

Glad to hear they are trending back to the right direction, may try to revisit them next year.
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 12:33 PM   #144
    Zags85

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Did they play cover songs half the set? Saw ZBB open for DMB and Chesney so I was excited for their own show as headliner. We complain about cover songs on these boards but the show we went to was an insane amount.
    Zags85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #145
    monizzle145

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoCalDMBLover View Post
    There is no way Nampa is sold out. I can pull up 8 excellent face value tickets together in Section A3, Row D.
    Every ticket in that section says "Resale Ticket"

Sorted by 2 and 1 and 4
    Old 09-30-2022, 03:39 PM   #146
    jjlak15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zags85 View Post
    Did they play cover songs half the set? Saw ZBB open for DMB and Chesney so I was excited for their own show as headliner. We complain about cover songs on these boards but the show we went to was an insane amount.
    They played 2 different melody’s if I remember. I was fine with it, 2 or 3 slots out of 21.
    Old 09-30-2022, 04:59 PM   #147
    Zags85

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They played 2 different melody’s if I remember. I was fine with it, 2 or 3 slots out of 21.

Dug up the set, for me this was excessive covers:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/zac-b...-2b93489e.html
    Zags85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #148
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The fanbase is aging hence why the small seats at Fenway are not ideal for fans lol

Northerly Island probably the worse venue on tour. I don't know anyone who loves that venue and I specifically skipped my midwest DMB trip last year to go this year when alpine came around.

And fans do care about proximity to the stage. That's why people complain about the warehouse and or only having uppers available at non Platinum ticket prices.

Chicago aside as a Northeastern fan Mansfield and Holmdel/Jones Beach beat having to be stuck at Citi where I have seen dead and co. If you are not at the soundboard or pit for Citi the sound and vantage points suck.
    Yeah a venue on Lake Michigan with the Chicago skyline as a backdrop is the worst on tour.
    kmbean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #149
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 134

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    Yeah a venue on Lake Michigan with the Chicago skyline as a backdrop is the worst on tour.

I don’t understand the hate for northerly

People hate it because the lawn sucks (but let’s face it, pit is super easy soooo)

And it’s not alpine

For a downtown/city venue it’s fantastic

Team northerly right here!

Unpopular opinion, but it is what it is.

Can’t beat being down on museum campus within walking distance of the loop/mass transit

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2022, 07:25 PM   #150
    SoCalDMBLover

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Every ticket in that section says "Resale Ticket"

Sorted by 2 and 1 and 4

I don't see anything that indicates "Resale" so I'm not sure where it says that. It says "Full Price" and I select 2, and then it offers me the tickets at the Face Value price.

Assuming you're correct, doesn't it seem weird that people would be re-selling some of the best tickets to a show that's selling well, for Face?

Anyways, I'm not going to win this argument, so I'll bow out.
    SoCalDMBLover is offline   Reply With Quote