Cable Cutting and Sports - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Cable Cutting and Sports

I've been seriously considering cutting my cable for several months now. Almost everything I watch I can get online. Sports is the one thing that is holding me back. It doesn't seem there are a ton of great internet options for watching live sports. New online networks like ESPN3 and the like still have to be tied to your cable subscription to be able to access.

Wanted to hear from cable cutters to see what solutions you had. My primary concern is college football and basketball. I'm married and have one kid and another on the way, so the "go to a bar to watch the game you want to" isn't always a viable solution.
MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
    uro55

Location: Minneapolis is my home, But Toronto will always be where I'm from:)

Shows Seen: 165

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Cable Cutting and Sports

I too could use some advice in this area. And I cut the cable 4 months ago, and sports has been the only issue. For me it's NBA and MLB.
    uro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I've been seriously considering cutting my cable for several months now. Almost everything I watch I can get online. Sports is the one thing that is holding me back. It doesn't seem there are a ton of great internet options for watching live sports. New online networks like ESPN3 and the like still have to be tied to your cable subscription to be able to access.

Wanted to hear from cable cutters to see what solutions you had. My primary concern is college football and basketball. I'm married and have one kid and another on the way, so the "go to a bar to watch the game you want to" isn't always a viable solution.

I don't really see it as a viable solution even if you are able to leave the house all day to drink. Four bar tabs in a month would be more than my cable bill. Pretty easily, methinks.

Unless you want to be the guy at the bar sipping iced tea and eating the free chips and salsa.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 11-13-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I've come up with a solution for this, but I have satellite. So maybe it won't help much.

Through DirecTV, there is an option to suspend your account for any amount of time not exceeding 6 months per year. While your account is suspended you don't have to pay anything, but obviously you will have no connection. There is no limit as to how many times you turn it on and back off again as long as your total suspension time is less than 6 months. Fortunately the NHL is in synch with many of my favorite shows, as well as football, so I've been cutting off my cable in the summer for two years in a row now and it's been awesome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I know a few people who use digital antennas to get local channels (great for the NFL) and then use a friend/family member password for the WatchESPN app to get access to other stuff. Seems to work fairly well for them.
    Old 11-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I know a few people who use digital antennas to get local channels (great for the NFL) and then use a friend/family member password for the WatchESPN app to get access to other stuff. Seems to work fairly well for them.
    Right, getting a digital antenna would work great for the NFL. Basically only miss out on TNF (which I almost never watch) and MNF. Even college football, ABC has games on all day basically, just no guaranteeing they'd be the games I want.

My preference is for a legal way to get to ESPN's content (would pay without thinking twice for access there), but I don't think the industry is there yet. The password sharing would definitely work in the interim.
    Old 11-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Right, getting a digital antenna would work great for the NFL. Basically only miss out on TNF (which I almost never watch) and MNF. Even college football, ABC has games on all day basically, just no guaranteeing they'd be the games I want.

My preference is for a legal way to get to ESPN's content (would pay without thinking twice for access there), but I don't think the industry is there yet. The password sharing would definitely work in the interim.

I guess I don't really view using a family member's login info as illegal. Like, if I could use my parents' login for WatchESPN I'd definitely ditch cable and wouldn't feel like it was illegal, because they're paying for their DirecTV and don't have the ability to stream since they're out in the country, so it's basically a service they aren't using. Someone may as well take advantage of it.
    Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I've purchased bootleg passwords for NBA league pass on ebay that past two years. Which has worked out well, the only caveat is that if you live in the city of your favorite team, you'll be blacked out.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    I've purchased bootleg passwords for NBA league pass on ebay that past two years. Which has worked out well, the only caveat is that if you live in the city of your favorite team, you'll be blacked out.
    Yeah I saw the same thing for MLB.tv. I'd really only want to watch the Cardinals, and living in St. Louis, they would basically be the only team I COULDN'T watch.
    Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah I saw the same thing for MLB.tv. I'd really only want to watch the Cardinals, and living in St. Louis, they would basically be the only team I COULDN'T watch.
    Yeah it blows. I live in Orlando and can't watch the Magic but in my case I enjoy watching all of the NBA so it makes it worth it to me.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
    TapNorris
    GO HUSKERS!!

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Cut cable over the summer. Got an Apple TV, which has the WatchESPN app on it. I use my parents cable account for access to it's content. I also use their account for access to Big Ten Network & CBS Sports on my ipad and I AirPlay it to my tv. I use an antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX sporting events. It does make it more difficult to flip through football games on Saturdays, so I'm usually just picking one or two games I really want to watch and following other games on my phone.

It doesn't help with NBA on TNT at all though.

Go Cubs!

Alpine!!
    TapNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

I believe you can watch all NBA on TNT games on the TNT website. Could be lying, though.
    Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
    TapNorris
    GO HUSKERS!!

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I believe you can watch all NBA on TNT games on the TNT website. Could be lying, though.
    I think you're right, but the slapdicks at Time Warner won't allow the content to be played with their accounts.

Go Cubs!

Alpine!!
    TapNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

our answer may the on the horizon. ESPN is looking to launch a streaming channel for live sports separate from any cable service.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HV1SC20141006
    Old 01-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

We're getting closer and closer to internet TV!

DISH has announced a $20 monthly service (no contract, cancel anytime) for a handful of stations 'broadcast' online. Stations include ESPN and ESPN2!

Sling Site:
    http://www.sling.com/

CNET article:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/dish-launch...s-espn-disney/

This is a great step towards getting rid of cable - especially for sports fans obviously.
    Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #16
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Saw that the other night. Definitely will consider it, but Dish is the worst (not like actually satellite, the company) so I'll wait for reviews.
    Old 01-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #17
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TapNorris View Post
    Cut cable over the summer. Got an Apple TV, which has the WatchESPN app on it. I use my parents cable account for access to it's content. I also use their account for access to Big Ten Network & CBS Sports on my ipad and I AirPlay it to my tv. I use an antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX sporting events. It does make it more difficult to flip through football games on Saturdays, so I'm usually just picking one or two games I really want to watch and following other games on my phone.

It doesn't help with NBA on TNT at all though.
    This is what I do. Get my fix of college and NFL through ESPN and then stream everything else from my computer via Airplay. It does help that I have a generic TWC account from my old apartment complex (basic cable was free but I still got a "bill" and just used that account number). Otherwise I would suggest using a friend/family.
    Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Cut cable and couldn't be happier. Bought an $80 antenna that gets in 33 channels so all basic networks are covered. That leaves ESPN and TNT. For now, I am just finding streams or going elsewhere. Paying $124/mo for cable + sports package is gone.

Internet TV would be a blessing, provided its either affordable a la carte or packages that make sense. None of this "ESPN on one package, ESPN 2 on the other package" to force you to get both with a bunch of channels you don't want.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #19
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I cut cable for about a year before I moved to my current apartment which pays for basic cable, so, not that I'm forced into having it, but I might as well.

But I enjoyed it while I went without it. I got an indoor antenna which got me the big basic HD channels. I too had someone else's account I was mooching off of (in this case, my ex's family ) which kept me going on ESPN, HBOGo, etc. on my Xbox or Chromecasts.

The only thing I personally didn't fully enjoy was not being able to see most Braves games, since MLBtv doesn't work if you live in the area of your team. Occasionally games are on a major network or ESPN or are the "free game of the day" on MLBtv. But usually I used a bootleg website that streamed live sports. Shitty quality, but it worked.
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Sports are the only reason I have cable...
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #21
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Reviving this thread as technology has advanced just a bit in the last 4 years. What has everyone had the best success with when it comes to cutting cable. I am thinking about keeping Xfinity for internet and getting Hulu live. It seems to have all the channels I want including local sports. Anyone have this or something as good or better?
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #22
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

i just moved out of my apartment and cancelled cable. YoutubeTV or PS Vue are the two options i'm looking at. I'll be able to stream sox, celtics and bruins because the local channels are available in the Boston market. $40-50 per month with no commitment
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #23
    Chumlee67
    A.K.A. Marshmont

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Cutting the cord this month. I'm going with YoutubeTV (for the reasons pathetic listed above). I got a Roku TV so I'll be supplementing the channels my fiance watches by using my parents login for cable.

List of Officially Released Tracks:
    Thread -- Website / Document (Defunct) / Sheet (Defunct)
    Last Update: 09/06/2019
    Chumlee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #24
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20 View Post
    Reviving this thread as technology has advanced just a bit in the last 4 years. What has everyone had the best success with when it comes to cutting cable. I am thinking about keeping Xfinity for internet and getting Hulu live. It seems to have all the channels I want including local sports. Anyone have this or something as good or better?
    I use PS Vue and is has all the local sports ya need. I get both Philly NBC stations. Also if you’re a college sports fan it has more games than my previous package did with RCN and you get the MLB/NBA/NHL/NFL networks.

Bill is $50/month.
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #25
    Gorge18Hopeful
    what's this you say

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Just local antenna and reddit streams for me. However will be adding the mlb.tv subscription in April.
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

I have subscribed to Sling, PS Vue, and Youtube TV all at different points as they have added/dropped channels over the last 2-3 years. For my own channel needs, and for stream quality (no buffering issues at all) I have easily found Youtube TV to the best of those 3. Has all the sports I need, and in terms of video reliability it's hard to top the Youtube technology. Plus the DVR is completely unlimited and stays in your account for 9 months, and for sports, all you have to do is select your favorite teams and they will automatically DVR the games - you don't have to remember to record individual games. The DVR library sorts nicely too, with TV, Movies, Sports and events all in different sections.
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #27
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Internet and DTV Now. I buy MLB.TV every year for $7 from eBay and the NFL Sunday Ticket U for $99. Reddit streams and Apple TV cast to my TV for everything else.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #28
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gorge18Hopeful View Post
    Just local antenna and reddit streams for me. However will be adding the mlb.tv subscription in April.
    Buy it from eBay. I paid $7 last year.
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #29
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

What's a big pain in the ass is MASN, where the Orioles play, doesn't have any online streaming. They're considered my home team and blacked out on MLB.TV the Yankees play them 20 times a year, I have to rely on reddit for that.
    Old 02-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #30
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty much the same as I mentioned in here 4 years ago. As of last year I only have AT&T fiber 100gb, no cable. I have an indoor antenna that I don't watch a lot but it is good for sports since I can get Fox, CBS, NBC. I used to get ABC with it in my bedroom upstairs but not where it is now. BUT ESPN shows the ABC games. So I still do some password sharing with my in-laws for ESPN, and my parents for Fox Sports which is how I've watched all Braves and Atlanta United games.

Summed up: indoor antenna and password sharing for apps. We do 99% of our tv watching on the Firestick.
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote