Ultimate Fighting/MMA - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #91
HolyCow
Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ultimate Fighting/MMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMan
Yeah, and that thing with Matt calling himself "The King"... I thought it was obvious he was joking, but they took it personally. He even apologized it! I actually think Matt is one of the least cocky guys on the show. It was pretty incredible watching him take guys down and dominate them without using his hands... I think that's the real reason they don't like him. He's good.

Do you remember who Noah beat in the first round? I have a feeling that's who they'll be bringing back. It must be someone from Shamrock's team because Tito looked pissed, and that's the only logical way I can see them choosing who to bring back.

Edit: I also think it's hilarious watching Tito say things to intentionally piss off Shamrock. Ken has an amazingly short temper. Tito always seems like a dick when he's fighting, but on the show, he seems like a cool guy.
I totally agree. Matt seems like the coolest...besides Bisping. He is freakin' awesome.

Noah beat that Jesse guy right? I thought that would be who came back too. Him or Soloman.

Tito is a douche in the octagon, but as a coach, he is awesome. Can't wait till next week.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-12-2006, 08:01 AM   #92
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave1399fan
    I have to disagree. I think fighters like Matt Hughes and Franklin would be top notch fighters over there but Lt. Heavyweight and Heavyweight would be dominated by Pride Fighters.

Fedor is the best heavyweight in the world. Fedor would dominate in either of the leagues and is the most well rounded fighter in the world. On top of that, I don't know if it's possible to knock him out. Cro Cop is known for being a deadly kicker and Fedor took Cro Cops best kick to the face and it didn't phase him. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic would be on Sylvia and Arlovski's level maybe a little above.

Wanderlei Silva would walk through Chuck Liddell. Chuck is great against wrestlers but can get into trouble against superior strikers. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson destroyed Chuck Liddell in Pride 2-3 years ago and Wanderlei has destroyed Jackson both times they fought.

The one other big advantage Pride has it is a lot deeper at every weight than the UFC. The UFC is seriously lacking at Middlweight, Lt. Heavyweight and Heavyweight.

I am a bigger fan of the UFC but I don't think you could say definitely one is better than the other. They both cater to different styles. Pride is more catered towards striking and muay thai. It makes it tougher for ground and pounders because of the ring and you can't use elbows. Obviously the UFC with the cage cater and the usage of elbows caters more towards wrestlers and/or ground and pounders.

Different formats as well with Pride having a 10 minute round.
    You make great points. Don't get me wrong, Pride is amazing. Better rules, more athletic fighters. But top to bottom, I think the UFC is better. Guys that couldn't cut it in the UFC or were old and washed up go to Pride and a champions. (Phil Baroni, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman). Pride has its share of great fighters, but overall, I think the UFC is better.

Pride isn't or casual fighting fans either. The UFC has drawn in a ton of fans the past year because it is pretty fan friendly with the 5 minute rounds and such. Pride is more for people that love MMA and want to see raw skill.

I would love to see CroCop, Silva and Fedor over here. Last summer, supossedly, there was going to be a Pride vs. UFC PPV. It fell through for obvious reason...whichever one loses, loses a ton of credibility.

To kinda summarize, I think top to bottom UFC is better. I also think the UFC has guys that would be able to beat Rampage, CroCop, Silva and Fedor. They are awesome but in matchups like:

Arlovski vs Fedor.... toss up. Fedor is great, but Arlovski is an absolute animal.

Silva vs. Chuck.... Rampage may have gotten Chuck 3 years ago, but Chuck now is no where close to 3 years ago. Chuck's standup and sprawl are the best in the world.

The bolded paragraph, I totally agree with.
    Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #93
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Is it just me, or does Ken Shamrok seem a little retarded? The man has recieved on too many punches to the head, obviously. I love how Tito is just playing with him, getting him all worked up about nothing.
    Old 05-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #94
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoBb
    Is it just me, or does Ken Shamrok seem a little retarded? The man has recieved on too many punches to the head, obviously. I love how Tito is just playing with him, getting him all worked up about nothing.
    I really don't think he is all there either.

"I'm gonna smash your head you little monkey!"

Ken needs to stop watching his old fight tapes and come up with some better insults.
    Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #95
    FACHEBLOOTZ
    Cracker-Ass-Cracker

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave1399fan
    I have to disagree. I think fighters like Matt Hughes and Franklin would be top notch fighters over there but Lt. Heavyweight and Heavyweight would be dominated by Pride Fighters.

Fedor is the best heavyweight in the world. Fedor would dominate in either of the leagues and is the most well rounded fighter in the world. On top of that, I don't know if it's possible to knock him out. Cro Cop is known for being a deadly kicker and Fedor took Cro Cops best kick to the face and it didn't phase him. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic would be on Sylvia and Arlovski's level maybe a little above.

Wanderlei Silva would walk through Chuck Liddell. Chuck is great against wrestlers but can get into trouble against superior strikers. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson destroyed Chuck Liddell in Pride 2-3 years ago and Wanderlei has destroyed Jackson both times they fought.

The one other big advantage Pride has it is a lot deeper at every weight than the UFC. The UFC is seriously lacking at Middlweight, Lt. Heavyweight and Heavyweight.

I am a bigger fan of the UFC but I don't think you could say definitely one is better than the other. They both cater to different styles. Pride is more catered towards striking and muay thai. It makes it tougher for ground and pounders because of the ring and you can't use elbows. Obviously the UFC with the cage cater and the usage of elbows caters more towards wrestlers and/or ground and pounders.

Different formats as well with Pride having a 10 minute round.

That's all pride has Silva and Jackson. Cro-cop doesn't even fight for Pride anymore, he's been taken off their list of fighters. Pride is like the 2nd chance for UFC fighters who can't win there. I could rattle off a long list of weak UFC fighters now fighting in Pride (Tank, Belfore, Baroni, Horn) at the same time while still signing fighters well past their prime, (Ruas, Kerr, Coleman, Tank again) plus a whole bunch of over-hyped asian talent. Yes we all know Liddell lost to Jackson, but that's it. No one who has ever dominated in Pride came into UFC and won a belt. Mark Coleman, who was a UFC staple, got beat in UFC and went into Pride and won their first Grand Prix. Jeremy Horn is another example, lost a whole bunch of fights in UFC, went to Pride, kicked just about everyone's ass. Thought he was good enough to come back and fight in the UFC, got knocked out in the first round. I'm not saying Pride is full of weak fighters, but it's like comparing the minor leagues to the majors.
    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
    FACHEBLOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #96
    dave1399fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HolyCow
    Arlovski vs Fedor.... toss up. Fedor is great, but Arlovski is an absolute animal.

Silva vs. Chuck.... Rampage may have gotten Chuck 3 years ago, but Chuck now is no where close to 3 years ago. Chuck's standup and sprawl are the best in the world.
    Chuck is a great striker but is not the best at stand up. He is one of the best at takedown defense. His problem is he doesn't face great strikers in the UFC at his weightclass. His hand positioning is dangerous against great strikers with quick hands and it showed against Jackson. There aren't many in the UFC quick enough to throw a punch at Chuck without him first connecting. If you watch the fight, Jackson's hands were so quick and Chucks hands were out too far to defend. He also wasn't quick enough to counter punch in time.

Don't get me wrong Chuck is a world class fighter but I believe Jackson is as good as him and Silva is better than both.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FACHEBLOOTZ
    That's all pride has Silva and Jackson.

Fedor is widely regarded from non-biased sources as the most dangerous man in the world and the best heavyweight fighter in the world.

Quote:
    Cro-cop doesn't even fight for Pride anymore, he's been taken off their list of fighters.

He fought last friday in Pride.

Quote:
    Pride is like the 2nd chance for UFC fighters who can't win there. I could rattle off a long list of weak UFC fighters now fighting in Pride (Tank, Belfore, Baroni, Horn)

Tank has fought 1 time in Pride.

Belfort was the champion in the UFC and at the start of his career 6-1 in the UFC. Pride paid him more money than the UFC could match so he went over.

Anyone who knows anything about MMA could tell you that Baroni was not cut out for the UFC. He can't defend against takedowns and is a great striker. Pride tailors to strikers and UFC tailors to ground and pound

Quote:
    at the same time while still signing fighters well past their prime, (Ruas, Kerr, Coleman, Tank again)

Kerr was 4-0 in the UFC and got an offer from Pride he couldn’t refuse.
    Quote:
    Mark Coleman, who was a UFC staple, got beat in UFC and went into Pride and won their first Grand Prix.

Coleman was 6-3 in the UFC and was the best fighter in the UFC in 1996 going 5-0. He switched over in 1999. Of his 3 losses, 2 were decisions. He was nowhere near past his prime.

Quote:
    Yes we all know Liddell lost to Jackson, but that's it.
    [COLOR=black][
    COLOR]
    He didn’t lose he got destroyed. His corner through in the towel and if he went much longer he would have been knocked out. He was outmatched by a better striker.

Quote:
    No one who has ever dominated in Pride came into UFC and won a belt.
    [COLOR=black]
    [COLOR]
    That’s because up until recently Pride paid a lot more than the UFC did. They bought talent from the UFC and didn’t let their top talent leave. The UFC is trying to recruit fighters from Pride now because their middleweight and lt. heavyweight divisions are so weak.

Quote:
    Jeremy Horn is another example, lost a whole bunch of fights in UFC, went to Pride, kicked just about everyone's ass. Thought he was good enough to come back and fight in the UFC, got knocked out in the first round.

I don’t know were you are getting your info from but Horn fought 2 fights in Pride that was separated by a year and a half. Both of his opponents were weak and nowhere near top talent. The first he guy he fought was 12-14.

The UFC was so weak at Lt. Heavyweight that threw an unqualified Horn and past his prime Vitor against Chuck just to give him some matches.

[SIZE=3]
    Quote:
    [/SIZE]
    Quote:
    I'm not saying Pride is full of weak fighters, but it's like comparing the minor leagues to the majors.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I completely disagree. Pride has a lot more fighters so by number may have some weaker fighters. From top to bottom, Pride is a lot better than the UFC at every weight class. Fedor is considered by any unbiased mma expert the best heavyweight in the world. Silva can outstrike the guy that destroyed Liddell. And has many other quality contenders. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]The problem with the UFC is it has some good champions but doesn’t have enough guys to challenge them. The lightweight division is pretty solid and there are 3 good contenders but every other weight class is lacking. The UFC tried to recruit a guy from Pride to try and give Franklin a contest. The UFC tried recruiting Jackson the UFC to give Chuck a challenge.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I would say a better comparison is the NL and the AL.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Don’t get me wrong I am a huge fan of the UFC. I get all their pay per view events. I know coaches that train fighters in the UFC. There is a guy from my MMA class that fights in the UFC. I fanatically watch the Ultimate Fighter.[/SIZE]

Last edited by dave1399fan; 05-12-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    dave1399fan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #97
    FrankTheTank
    i <3 jessica simpson

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

kendall and kaleb in the semifinals is going to be a great fucking matchup.

they are easily the best two fighters in their weight division, and i think they should've fought in the finals not the semis.
    FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #98
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

So did anyone watch UFC 64? Holy malony Wanderlei Silva is INSANE! Threw Franklin around like a little bitch and brought the pain with pretty much everything he did, like he did with Chris Leben a couple of months ago.

Silva and St. Pierre - my two favorite fighters who both hopefully will be world champions in their weight class when Pierre meets Matt Hughes again.

But I would've liked to see a rematch of BJ Penn and Matt Hughes. Penn was totally dominating the first two rounds untill he ran out of air. He should maybe start training his condition a little bit more.

Anyway; this has been one of the best years in UFC history in my opinion. So many great fights, so many new interesting fighters and now, finally, a new champion in the middle weight class.

And yeah, Pride fighters are much better than the guys in UFC from what I've seen. Still like UFC better though.
    Old 10-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #99
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoBb View Post
    So did anyone watch UFC 64? Holy malony Wanderlei Silva is INSANE! Threw Franklin around like a little bitch and brought the pain with pretty much everything he did, like he did with Chris Leben a couple of months ago.

Silva and St. Pierre - my two favorite fighters who both hopefully will be world champions in their weight class when Pierre meets Matt Hughes again.

But I would've liked to see a rematch of BJ Penn and Matt Hughes. Penn was totally dominating the first two rounds untill he ran out of air. He should maybe start training his condition a little bit more.

Anyway; this has been one of the best years in UFC history in my opinion. So many great fights, so many new interesting fighters and now, finally, a new champion in the middle weight class.

And yeah, Pride fighters are much better than the guys in UFC from what I've seen. Still like UFC better though.
    I was of course watching 64 and I can't say that I was that surprised that Silva won. Franklin really wasn't much of an accomplished champ and Silva's Muy Thai made quick work of him. I would love to see Silva go up a class and fight Chuck.

What a strikers fight that would be.
    Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #100
    BigE

My Tour Central Stats

I've caught this a couple times, but not much. A buddy that's really into it keeps talking about "The Hockey Fight". Who the heck was in it? I'd like to check it out but....well...when I search "hockey fight", some f'd up game with sticks keeps coming up.
    BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 AM   #101
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
    I was of course watching 64 and I can't say that I was that surprised that Silva won. Franklin really wasn't much of an accomplished champ and Silva's Muy Thai made quick work of him. I would love to see Silva go up a class and fight Chuck.

What a strikers fight that would be.
    Yeah, I think Silva will be way too dominant in this weight class, so that might be a good idea.

Would it be illegal for UFC to hold open weight class tournaments like they do in Pride?
    Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #102
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, and I feel really sorry for whoever wins the TUF finale and have to meet Silva.
    Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #103
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoBb View Post

Would it be illegal for UFC to hold open weight class tournaments like they do in Pride?
    That would be amazing. What a tournament.

Matt Hughes
    Chuck
    Tito
    Silva
    Arlovski
    Silvia
    and on...

what a tournament
    Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #104
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Pride Real Deal was kind of a dissapointment in my opinion. Was hoping for more action, but it was just too much domination from one fighter in almost every match-up.

Silva VS Liddell should be exciting if the UFC accepts it.
    Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 AM   #105
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

GSP!

UFC 65 kicked ass.

- And I hope to Science that Brandon Vega gets to fight Sylvia.

Oh, and the upcoming Fight Night has Joe Riggs pitted against Diego Sanchez. Should be interesting.

UFC is just getting better and better.

Last edited by MoBb; 11-21-2006 at 04:22 AM.
    MoBb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #106
    budgrove
    High, High, High...

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

big fights tonight: liddell vs ortiz 2...forrest griffin....the pit bull....and chris leben. anyone watching it? who ya cheering for. i hope chuck beats the holy hell out of tito!
    myspace: myspace.com/jgrove472
    budgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #107
    dmbphan041
    ISO

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

im pissed im missing this
    dmbphan041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #108
    dmbfan#?

My Tour Central Stats

First time I ever saw any of these kind of fights. It was awesome. Griffin got the shit knocked out of him. I was dissappointed with the Liddell and Ortiz match. I don't think they should have called it. Very entertaining.
    Old 12-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #109
    barefoot
    More coffee....

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I was pulling for Tito, I have been a big fan of his fighting for a while. I think they stopped it early but I am not sure that would have changed the outcome.I was interested to see how Arlovski was going to come out, I know he is worried about taking shots but he has to reagin that aggresiveness that got him to the top. Good fights, solid card, I cant wait for Feb 3rd, St. Pierre, Silva, CroCop and Jackson. Going to be a great night of fights.
    Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #110
    dmbfan#?

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think it would have changed the outcome either. I was hopin Lidell won. It looked to me like Ortiz was still defending himself and had his wits about him.
    Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #111
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Sad to see Griffin go out like that. I still think he's a better fighter than Jardine though.

I usually root for the underdog, and I did to some degree with Ortiz, but I'm just glad the better fighter wins, which Lidell definetly were.

Cro Cop and "Rampage" Jackson february 3? HOLY FUCKING SMOKES! Now that's a delayed christmas present.
    Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #112
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

That is going to be an awesome card. This is why MMA is so much better thatn boxing. You never see these match ups in boxing, but since the fighters dont have a choice you get them. You could never get a boxing card with the best fighters in their divisions all fighting on it, but you routinly get that in UFC and Pride.
    Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #113
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

I cant believe Lutter didnt make weight
    Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #114
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, what a tool. Would've loved to see Dana White's reaction.
    Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #115
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

I dont think he has a chance against Silva, but now he is losing alot of his prize money for the fight.Styles make fights and Lutter has the right one but from what I have seen of Silva he looks dominant. It will be interesting to see what he does if it goes to the ground. Still going to be a great card, looking forward to seeing Crocop and Rampage in the octagon instead of the Pride ring.
    Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #116
    MoBb
    I am a Golden God!

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, styles does make fights, but I think Silva's groundgame is good enough to defend and get him up on his feet again. I mean, if you'r ea BJJ black belt, you know your shit.

Still, this is MMA and anything could cappen. I just hope we get to see an exciting fight.

Yeah, Rampage and Cro-Cop in the UFC? I still can't believe it.

I was wondering if I should order the PPV and watch it over the internet, or just wait till tomorrow morning and download it. The video quality might suck you know.
    Old 02-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #117
    Ev42
    I'll Back You Up

My Tour Central Stats

rampage fight should be good. i see this being lutters last fight in the ufc, after not making weight.
    Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #118
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

I was just thinking that about Lutter, I mean you are given a chance and you blow it, I dont see Dana being very cool with that. I usually get all the UFC's and Pride's, my friends and I get together have some beers and make a night of it. If they are kind of weak then I will download them, this one I am looking forward to.
    Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #119
    dmbphan041
    ISO

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

even though it's not a title fight tonight'll still be good. Who's Cro Cop fighting again?
    dmbphan041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #120
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

Eddie Sanchez