Alpine N2 (7/19) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
DMBzilla
tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Alpine N2 (7/19)

It may be incredibly trite to begin a review with a cliche, but I'll do it anyway: what a difference a day makes. DMB reconciled any differences arising between the band and the fans by putting on an absolutely stellar second night at Alpine Valley.

The night started out on a mellow, but welcome, note with Proudest Monkey > Satellite. I had no idea that it had been over a decade since the last full band show to open with PM, but my first thought upon hearing the opening notes was, "Alright, they opening with something different for the tour!" With the incredibly extensive list of excellent openers, this band can do better than Bartender and FTWII most nights, and this was no exception. Although chill, it was clear that the fans were into this one from the get go, as few people weren't swaying to the groove and singing along with these two classic tunes.

Squirm was the first BWGK song of the night, and it sounded better than any other version I've heard to this point. This version was just so much fuller than its previous counterparts, and the crowd was really into this one as well. Pig and SMLAM were standard fare, but both songs are more than welcome.

Then came my personal highlight of the night in You Never Know. I hadn't heard this tune live since 2005, so this was a real treat, an the version did not disappoint. Jeff did some new things here that were outright fantastic, weaving a really intricate soprano solo over the main riff before the final vocals. This YNK is a version you will definitely want to check out.

Crash Into Me was solid, as always, Dreaming Tree featured one of the best jams on this tune of the year, and You & Me was to be expected. Dave then told the crowd that he wasn't going to play the next song, but met a young man earlier in the day who requested it, so that it was for him, and went into Funny the Way It Is. Standard fare, but the crowd was pretty into this one, which made it more tolerable. Gravedigger is a song I always enjoy hearing, and Alligator Pie was interlaced with some extended soloing by Boyd, so I didn't mind this as a repeat.

Then, of course, came Out of My Hands, which was not only unexpected, but incredibly out of place. The set had flowed well so far, and while it was quite mellow, it was definitely ready to heat up. That obviously wasn't to be. It's definitely confusing that the band would choose to add this tune to the show, and again raises the same question I asked after night one about why Dave/DMB chooses to play songs that they know with certainty fans don't want to hear instead of the songs that we've all been dying for.

Of course, from that point on out, Alpine N2 stacked up to almost any other show of the tour. #41, which has been a bit too long for my liking, was excellent last night, with little time wasted between Jeff and Carter before a strong jam ensued, and Tim's solo was pretty mindblowing. The run from Rhyme & Reason through Time Bomb was solid through and through, and the Two Step jam was a thing of beauty, with the fans clapping in beat during Carter's solo and Mr. Beauford directing the crowd to slow it down, speed it up, and then just go completely nuts. This Two Step was right up there with the rest of the excellent versions of this song throughout 2009.

The band walked on stage at 8:24 by my clock, and Two Step ended at 11:22 -- a two hour and fifty-eight minute main set. During the encore break, the intense crowd picked up on the Thank You chant, and made for an unforgettable moment in my DMB history. The chant spread across the venue like wild fire, and from out vantage point in Section 203, we could see the entire band walk back and just hang out for a good two minutes before finally taking the stage. Dave immediately made sure the chant would keep going by waving his hand toward the crowd as if to say, "Bring it," and the band went into a rocking version of Thank You. Say what you will about the song, but it was excellent last night, and the reason for its appearance made it completely welcome. Halloween was an incredibly nice way to cap of a damn good show, and the crowd went nuts as it started. The band walked off stage at 11:44, making for one of the longest shows I have ever seen (and definitely the 2nd best show I saw this year, after SPAC N2).

All in all, it was an interesting weekend at Alpine. While more diversity is always welcome in my book, the biggest issue here was obviously the choice of songs to bring back. While the N2 debuts were pretty much welcome all around (i.e. PM, Satellite, YNK and Thank You), the N1 comebacks were curious, to say the least. I will say that Bayou was a song that I said pre-tour I'd like to see come back (so long as it's not played with 2005-2007 frequency), and the new intro jam is pretty damn cool. That said, if I never heard Smooth Rider again it would be too soon, so hopefully that was a one-time experiment. I am definitely glad that I made the trek to Alpine this year, and it's certainly a venue that I will consider returning to down the road (after the Gorge, of course... ).

See you after Jones N2.

Last edited by DMBzilla; 07-20-2009 at 05:08 PM.
DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
    kav2312
    slim knows the score

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Alpine N2 (7/19)

Glad you enjoyed the show. This is up there for me too. Either last night or Alpine N1 08 is the best show I have ever seen.
    kav2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
    kitkatjammin

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Great review once again. I thought it was pretty awesome how the band sort of became a back up band for the crowd singing Thank You. I definitely think that Thank You may become an "Alpine thing". Anyway, it was a great show, and also the first show in 12 years and 26 shows that I got to see Dreaming Tree live.

Edit: How fitting, my 100th post after 7 years on these boards.
    kitkatjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitkatjammin View Post
    Anyway, it was a great show, and also the first show in 12 years and 26 shows that I got to see Dreaming Tree live.
    Glad you finally got it man! And a great version at that.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
    kapmann

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with KAV, N1 last year or N2 this year were mindblowing.
    kapmann is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitkatjammin View Post
    Great review once again. I thought it was pretty awesome how the band sort of became a back up band for the crowd singing Thank You. I definitely think that Thank You may become an "Alpine thing". Anyway, it was a great show, and also the first show in 12 years and 26 shows that I got to see Dreaming Tree live.

Edit: How fitting, my 100th post after 7 years on these boards.
    So long as it's not the last song of any evening, I would love this.

I was one of the people saying that the chant would be cool, but not if they actually played it. After Sunday, I have to retract my statement. It was perfect for the situation. It was an E1 song and they played it in response to us, which was just cool.
    Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    So long as it's not the last song of any evening, I would love this.

I was one of the people saying that the chant would be cool, but not if they actually played it. After Sunday, I have to retract my statement. It was perfect for the situation. It was an E1 song and they played it in response to us, which was just cool.
    I was certainly disappointed when I saw what the actual encore was supposed to be, but it was certainly an awesome moment, especially when you could see the band on the side of the stage just kind of taking it all in for a couple of minutes.

But, we did get a 'Halloween' out of it, so it may have been worth the trade-off.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
    illinicliff

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I guees it comes with time, but after my 7th show (Alpine 2009 N1), I was finally disappointed with a DMB show. Sure my previuos show was Nashville on April 25 (which was a beautiful night of music), but high expectations is no excuse. I left N1 a bit disappointed for the first time, and knew something had to change for N2. I couldn't hold my excitement in after the opening song PM was played because I knew this meant we were in for a special night. I am a huge fan of Squirm and Time Bomb, and have been telling my friends that Time Bomb will be an incredible live song. I got my wish, and heard both of them in the setlist. To top it off, I heard Halloween live for the first time, and now am only bummed it took so long to hear it. Alpine N2 is by far my favorite show, and I'm eagerly awaiting ther eturn next year. Thank you, DMB.
    illinicliff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

yes it was an excellent show. and i would love the thank you every year as a matter of fact. it was definitely a highlight of my DMB show going experiences. it was such an awesome moment, and to connect with the band like that was just cool. like the song or not, if you werent there you should be jealous.
    JunkBondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote