"F" the police! - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #31
Barefoot Ant
Bring Me Wisdom

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: "F" the police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
Says who?

Many venues/states have laws in place that make tailgating in those lots 100% illegal.

Nissan Pavilion in Bristow VA has VA law that prohibits tailgating. Does that make it the police officers faults? No. Maybe you should be directing your anger at the venue officials or the state legislature.

Though at Nissan, it depends on the show on whether or not that will be enforced strictly or not.
So, if it depends on the show, is a DMB show one of those that gets picked on? And why if it is? Seems like even the law isn't following their own laws, right? It is either illegal or it isn't. You can't pick on one group of people and not others.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #32
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barefoot Ant View Post
    So, if it depends on the show, is a DMB show one of those that gets picked on? And why if it is? Seems like even the law isn't following their own laws, right? It is either illegal or it isn't. You can't pick on one group of people and not others.

Ive been to 5 shows this summer at the Nissan Pavilion, and each one has had different levels of police presence and police enforcement.

Same goes for Hershey. And in both cases, it was pretty lax at the DMB shows.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #33
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Says who?

Many venues/states have laws in place that make tailgating in those lots 100% illegal.

Nissan Pavilion in Bristow VA has VA law that prohibits tailgating. Does that make it the police officers faults? No. Maybe you should be directing your anger at the venue officials or the state legislature.

Though at Nissan, it depends on the show on whether or not that will be enforced strictly or not.
    The only thing your right is that the legislature is just as much to blame as law enforcement. But, for someone who has posted on another thread that a law is a law, and that it is not law enforcement's fault, and that we should direct our anger at the legislature (as if law enforcement doesn't have a huge influence on what laws are passed), the part in bold shows how even you don't believe what you have posted.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #34
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    The only thing your right is that the legislature is just as much to blame as law enforcement. But, for someone who has posted on another thread that a law is a law, and that it is not law enforcement's fault, and that we should direct our anger at the legislature (as if law enforcement doesn't have a huge influence on what laws are passed), the part in bold shows how even you don't believe what you have posted.
    Right. The law is the law. Ive also said that discretion should be used on what is enforced strictly and what is not.
    Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #35
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Right. The law is the law. Ive also said that discretion should be used on what is enforced strictly and what is not.
    So, it is the police that have this discretion is what is enforced strictly, and what is not, I am assuming you have no problem with the person who started this thread saying "F" the Police, as they weren't too happy with the "enforcement" at their show.
    Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #36
    OneSweetPhish
    STAGE LEFT

Shows Seen: 136

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ignorant post

Try again... I have 4 cops in my family. Nice try tho

OneSweetPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #37
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetPhish View Post
    Try again... I have 4 cops in my family. Nice try tho
    And? Are you saying that your police officer relatives are scared to go out on the streets? Please.
    Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #38
    OneSweetPhish
    STAGE LEFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And? Are you saying that your police officer relatives are scared to go out on the streets? Please.

When they have another choice? Yes they are human ya know.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #39
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When they have another choice? Yes they are human ya know.

Oh please. Then they shouldnt have pursued a career as a LEO And its a shame that they are in that position. I wouldnt want them out there protecting the public, nor would I want them as my partner out there protecting my ass either.

Last edited by dre2142; 08-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #40
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    They're doing their job, and appearantly they were doing it well.

You know the rules and you know the laws.

If you choose to break them, and someone tickets you for it, that's your own fault.

do i think it's a waste of time for cops to be busting tailgates? yes.

do i think you don't have to follow the law even if it's just tailgate laws? no.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #41
    OneSweetPhish
    STAGE LEFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh please. Then they shouldnt have pursued a career as a LEO And its a shame that they are in that position. I wouldnt want them out there protecting the public, nor would I want them as my partner out there protecting my ass either.

You are not too bright are you? If you think for even a second that every cop isn't scared in some way or another about what they do everyday you really don't know what you are talking about.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #42
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are not too bright are you? If you think for even a second that every cop isn't scared in some way or another about what they do everyday you really don't know what you are talking about.

I was a cop in downtown Baltimore City. Dont sit there and tell me what I know and do not know about law enforcement. I believe that I have a better idea than you. I seriously doubt the police officers in Virginia beach are scared to be out on the streets, and they are citing people for public drinking because they are scared of being on patrol.

Yes, police officers are human, but the minute you let yourself be "scared of the criminals", youre putting your life and others in danger and you should re-think your career choice. I think youre the one that doesnt know what they are talking about.

Last edited by dre2142; 08-10-2008 at 04:07 PM.
    Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #43
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

anyone else see all the cops over by the sonic and i guess keegens pub? (not sure of the street, not from VA just visit for the show) after the show..i guess a Undercover cop was shot and killed by a drug dealer..first time in five years..shit was crazy cops where everywhere i thought it was a DUI checkpoint at first so i was shittin myself...but yea some crazy shit
    Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #44
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
    I grew up in VA, and I go back there to see my family several times a year, and it never ceases to amaze me how absurd the police and lawmakers are there. I'll never move back because of it. VA treats drinking as if it's a high crime.

The sad fact of the matter is they would rather run over someone's constitutional rights against unlawful search and seizure in search of a beer than arrest dangerous criminals, because it's more profitable.

I hate to say it, but the only way to retaliate is to write the band, and then just skip that show. I went to a WSP show outside of Austin TX last summer where the police where hassling everyone over some very mild tailgating, and I'll never go back.

There's just no call for giving people a hard time who aren't hurting anyone.
    That show was at The Backyard. A few months before that show, a drunk driver killed an assistant district attorney right by the venue after a show. They've cracked down heavy on drinking before the show because of that.

That being said, how fucking hard is it to pour your beer in a cup? If you have your beer in a cup and you're not acting like a jackass, no one is going to hassle you. By all means though, don't ever come back to Austin or The Backyard. You will not be missed.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 08-12-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #45
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
    I grew up in VA, and I go back there to see my family several times a year, and it never ceases to amaze me how absurd the police and lawmakers are there. I'll never move back because of it. VA treats drinking as if it's a high crime.

The sad fact of the matter is they would rather run over someone's constitutional rights against unlawful search and seizure in search of a beer than arrest dangerous criminals, because it's more profitable.

I hate to say it, but the only way to retaliate is to write the band, and then just skip that show. I went to a WSP show outside of Austin TX last summer where the police where hassling everyone over some very mild tailgating, and I'll never go back.

There's just no call for giving people a hard time who aren't hurting anyone.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    That show was at The Backyard. A few months before that show, a drunk driver killed an assistant district attorney right by the venue after a show. They've cracked down heavy on drinking before the show because of that.

That being said, how fucking hard is it to pour your beer in a cup? If you have your beer in a cup and you're not acting like a jackass, no one is going to hassle you. By all means though, don't ever come back to Austin or The Backyard. You will not be missed.
    you're right jeremy, because your right to get stupid wasted in a parking lot clearly supersedes the rights of all 20,000 other fans there who are also trying to have a good time. god forbid the police do their job and keep everybody civil and safe and prevent some out of town ass hat who thinks the world is his oyster from harassing people, being loud and obnoxious and possibly killing someone in the process... the nerve of those cops. fuck!

by the way, i saw your youtube video about your super cool new haircut. it was rad!

douche
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #46
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

all i can say is, everyone should do 6 months in an actual academy, 6 more as a proby on the street w/ a trainer and one year on your own...

i guarantee you after those 2 years you'll never look at a police officer the same and your entire outlook on law and society as a whole will have changed.

or in the very least, strike up small talk w/ the next one you see at the gas station and ask him how his day is... you might actually learn something.
    Old 08-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #47
    Barefoot Ant
    Bring Me Wisdom

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

On my way to DC from Cincinnati, I got pulled over by a cop in a Mustang.

He ticketed me for riding his ass. He ignored the fact that I was doing 80 in a 70. He was cool about it, not an asshole, and since it was my first ticket ever I didn't get too worked up about it.

So after we pulled away, my friend looks at me and says she'd be crying right now if she had gotten a ticket.
    I looked at her and said "It don't matter, I'm gonna be drunk in two hours!"
    Lots of laughter after that crazy comment!
    Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #48
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barefoot Ant View Post
    reputation is everything and those Hartford idiots ruined that for us
    Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #49
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

i say it on a daily basis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 AM   #50
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    all i can say is, everyone should do 6 months in an actual academy, 6 more as a proby on the street w/ a trainer and one year on your own...

i guarantee you after those 2 years you'll never look at a police officer the same and your entire outlook on law and society as a whole will have changed.

or in the very least, strike up small talk w/ the next one you see at the gas station and ask him how his day is... you might actually learn something.
    I don't care what happens in a law enforcement's duty - it never gives them the right to abuse their power or violate the law. And, if the job or stress of the job is too much, choose another career.

Oh, come visit the law enforcement thread in Political Science, you might actually learn something

Last edited by Lee3691; 08-16-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #51
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb&phish'94 View Post
    All right, VA Beach PD. Up and down each parking aisle, and over a dozen tickets I saw personally handed out. Guess what, people DRINK at tailgating parties. No grills either!!! C'mon. Great show!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong. I've been to four this year and this one and Raleigh were outstanding, but I have never encountered such a police presence. Isn't the murder rate in VA Beach pretty bad, and they're worried about f***ing tailgaters. Shame on them! Between Manassas' shitty sound system and the dumb cops in VA Beach, oh and don't forget the crazy naked guy at JPJ, Dave should just avoid VA all together and double his shows in surrounding states. And I LIVE in VA!!! Sorry, VA Ants, something has to be done! PS.......FREAKING HALLOWEEN BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, why go?
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #52
    phunky420
    Mmmm....Drums

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    They're doing their job, and appearantly they were doing it well.

You know the rules and you know the laws.

If you choose to break them, and someone tickets you for it, that's your own fault.
    Thanks Dad.
    Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #53
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Now that is the dumbest thing i've read
    He sounds like the type that would volunteer for a taser test.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #54
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DmBand801 View Post
    they're very strict at VA beach. You can't get away with anything there.

I went to Va Beach for the first time this year. We had a stereo playing. Two cases of beer, people next to us had liquor and we tailgated just like anywhere else. I did not see one cop and nobody bothered us.
    Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #55
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post

Oh, come visit the law enforcement thread in Political Science, you might actually learn something
    i'm not trying to come off like a pompous ass, like most of this thread is.

and i'm done trying to bring people into the light, one thing i've learned in my time is that you will never change ignorant people. you can only hope they will grow up and do it themselves.

-j
    Old 08-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #56
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    i'm not trying to come off like a pompous ass, like most of this thread is.

and i'm done trying to bring people into the light, one thing i've learned in my time is that you will never change ignorant people. you can only hope they will grow up and do it themselves.

-j