Alpine N1 (7/18) - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #31
canes101190
No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Alpine N1 (7/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
ha so theirs teleprompters at DMB shows for Dave??? Who wrote this article anyway? DMBzilla?
what?

Dave has a teleprompter on stage.
canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
    hoefdj18
    vis legis

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Last night, I believe was my 15th show, and it pains me to say, but it was the worst I have seen. What pains me even more is that it is at my favorite and "home" venue.

My buddy came up from Chicago for the show-a seasoned DMB fan too-and we pulled into the Green Lot a little later than normal, around 5:30-ish. That was the first time I've parked in Green and it was a nice surprise with quick access to the cornfield for a quick pisser a la Yellow Lot in years past with the fence. We slammed quite a few beers to keep a buzz going so as not to get gouged by beer prices inside the venue and ended up going in around 7:30-ish. Weaving our way through the crowd we ended up close to the front of the lawn on the right hand side...same area I sat a few weeks back for Phish. I didn't realize that we were to be surrounded by a swarm of drunk, underage, annoying turds that would only add to the agony that would ensue.

I knew going into the show that there would be a healthy dose of the new songs--they are marketing their new cd, after all--but I didn't realize we would also see a healthy amount of the Stand Up catalog--just when I thought those songs were being phased out! When Spaceman started, I was a bit disgusted and had to piss. I stood there, sort of pissed off because the set sucked so far and that the drunkards--I should say the drunkards who cannot control themselves, because I was drunk too--kept tumbling into me. Whatever, it's sort of to be expected. My bud and I were stoked when Dave started playing Nancies and for a second I thought the set may take a turn for the better, but then the nasty stretch of SMLAM, SM and LITHOF happened. Crush, generally I don't really care for it, but it was a welcome relief from this train wreck we were forced to bare witness to. Then Stone, which was the highlight of the show for me then back to trash until Grey Street. When GS ended and I saw them walking off, set over, my bud and I looked at each other and couldn't believe that the set was over. Probably one of the shortest sets I have ever seen. The encore was alright, with the drunk high schooler in front of me turning after PNP to ask what song that was, thinking it was the hidden track on Grux. Ants was nice, but an encore was not going to resurrect this shitty set.

We got back to the car, had a beer and thought we were going to have to wait 2 hrs to get out of the lot like it does in Yellow and Blue lots, but Green was moving quickly so we downed our beer, sober at this time and a bit parched with only beer to drink. I flew in to Milwaukee for the weekend and was staying at my parent's house. It took us 20 minutes to get back and we were watching ESPN by 12:30. In retrospect, minus the crappy set, it didn't even have the feel of a Dave show. Something was off. I wish I was going to the show tonight, but my bud had to head back to Chicago and I wasn't willing to to solo to the show. Hopefully everyone there sees something good.
    Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #33
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    what?

Dave has a teleprompter on stage.
    Wow, I never have heard that.
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #34
    Kevinbstbll9

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

They better not abandon Squirm.
    Kevinbstbll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #35
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoefdj18 View Post
    Last night, I believe was my 15th show, and it pains me to say, but it was the worst I have seen. What pains me even more is that it is at my favorite and "home" venue.

My buddy came up from Chicago for the show-a seasoned DMB fan too-and we pulled into the Green Lot a little later than normal, around 5:30-ish. That was the first time I've parked in Green and it was a nice surprise with quick access to the cornfield for a quick pisser a la Yellow Lot in years past with the fence. We slammed quite a few beers to keep a buzz going so as not to get gouged by beer prices inside the venue and ended up going in around 7:30-ish. Weaving our way through the crowd we ended up close to the front of the lawn on the right hand side...same area I sat a few weeks back for Phish. I didn't realize that we were to be surrounded by a swarm of drunk, underage, annoying turds that would only add to the agony that would ensue.

I knew going into the show that there would be a healthy dose of the new songs--they are marketing their new cd, after all--but I didn't realize we would also see a healthy amount of the Stand Up catalog--just when I thought those songs were being phased out! When Spaceman started, I was a bit disgusted and had to piss. I stood there, sort of pissed off because the set sucked so far and that the drunkards--I should say the drunkards who cannot control themselves, because I was drunk too--kept tumbling into me. Whatever, it's sort of to be expected. My bud and I were stoked when Dave started playing Nancies and for a second I thought the set may take a turn for the better, but then the nasty stretch of SMLAM, SM and LITHOF happened. Crush, generally I don't really care for it, but it was a welcome relief from this train wreck we were forced to bare witness to. Then Stone, which was the highlight of the show for me then back to trash until Grey Street. When GS ended and I saw them walking off, set over, my bud and I looked at each other and couldn't believe that the set was over. Probably one of the shortest sets I have ever seen. The encore was alright, with the drunk high schooler in front of me turning after PNP to ask what song that was, thinking it was the hidden track on Grux. Ants was nice, but an encore was not going to resurrect this shitty set.

We got back to the car, had a beer and thought we were going to have to wait 2 hrs to get out of the lot like it does in Yellow and Blue lots, but Green was moving quickly so we downed our beer, sober at this time and a bit parched with only beer to drink. I flew in to Milwaukee for the weekend and was staying at my parent's house. It took us 20 minutes to get back and we were watching ESPN by 12:30. In retrospect, minus the crappy set, it didn't even have the feel of a Dave show. Something was off. I wish I was going to the show tonight, but my bud had to head back to Chicago and I wasn't willing to to solo to the show. Hopefully everyone there sees something good.
    ????
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #36
    ~Dreamgirl~
    MissDMB11

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    Wow, I never have heard that.

watch the beacon show, you can see it on stage. dave acknowledges using one during a rolling stone interview (youtube search "round and round dave matthews" and it should come up).

it's not uncommon for geniuses to have poor memories btw..
    ~Dreamgirl~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #37
    Covnut

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey Dave, don't write and play awful songs and we will. Remember the 90s?
    Holy shit! Am I the only one in shock with how brutal these hardcore fans are? It's funny, upon seeing the setlist on my iPhone Ap, I was thinking one of the best shows of the year. Both spring and summer tours. I am quite surprised to see how much everyone hated it.

One thing I can't stand is when someone praises so many performances during the night and then says it's an awful show because of 2 songs they hate along with a couple not-so-good versions of songs.

I am into these guys just as much as most of you. I have been listening since '94, but am I'm not an avid reader of the boards because of stupid remarks on most fan-based forums. Sucks you hate some of his songs soo much, but if you are going to just bash and never be pleased with his sets except for 1 or 2 out of every tour, stop being a fan.

I can understand why so many Ants maybe upset with their choice of songs for Alpine because of the venues history, but some of you need to understand that a LOT of people still love Smooth Rider and Bayou. I personally hated Bayou when I first saw it and grew to like it, not love it. I would prefer not hearing it, but I'm not going to rip on a song that generally is a crowd pleaser. You Ants need to open up your eyes and realize not everyone at Alpine is an Ant, and you can be a hardcore fan and not be a member of the online community.

On a side note, this is the case with my other obsession, Disney theme parks. It's my thing, hate if you want, but this is what happens in their online communities. Everybody slams them for everything they do, but they go to the parks ALL the time and spend their money on the company. Case and point, critique the shows as much as you want, but if you are going to be so picky on these human beings playing the same music almost everyday, maybe you will never be fully pleased and deserve a break from them.

Cheers to all those that goes to the show just to enjoy themselves and are not more concerned about every aspect of the show and their review online rather then just enjoying some of their favorite music.
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #38
    Covnut

My Tour Central Stats

BTW, I am not a fan of Last Stop or Halloween and tired of all the chants for it. Just because you love it, and yes I know a lot love it on here, does not mean every person loves it as much as you. Their other fans out there that deserve to see just as an enjoyable show as the Ants do.
    Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #39
    dustinsgirl

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    So coming back from Europe is supposed to be a reason for them to a play mediocre set? Not sure I follow that logic.
    i agree,my first time at alpine. could only go to night one. although i had fun while freezing it was very mediocre
    dustinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #40
    aggiekjw

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

I've been to a ton of shows. idk, 30-something. I was at vanderbilt this year, and will catch both nights of DC. While some of the songs weren't ideal, I thought the concert was outstanding. I've stopped ranking concerts, and just appreciate the fact I get to be a part of dmb's career. everyone on these boards who bitches about how bad the show was is ridiculous. Everything about dmb is professional; the lights, the sound, the energy. It's all great. I would pay 80 bucks to see dancing nancies, stone, repunzel, lying, ants, crush. I can't stand the debbie downers. It's so annoying. N1 alpine was great.
    aggiekjw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #41
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Covnut View Post
    BTW, I am not a fan of Last Stop or Halloween and tired of all the chants for it. Just because you love it, and yes I know a lot love it on here, does not mean every person loves it as much as you. Their other fans out there that deserve to see just as an enjoyable show as the Ants do.
    Most nights, fans like you already get their way, so why begrudge us for wishing for a rarity every now and again?
    Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #42
    Bricktop13

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
    I am really disappointed the Dave's performance last night. Seriously WTF? I expected that some the new songs would have been played. I had even higher expectations that older music would have been played as well. Me and three others went to the concent. Myself and the other diehard fan were both disappointed and left early after Louisiana Bayou.

he's waiting to come to NY

...look at their schedule ...it really makes no sense and set up alpine to fail this year...they get back from Europe, Tired, Jetlagged, sick of not having a good hamburger....and they go out west for two days just to fly back east to start another east coast swing..........too bad...SPAC takes the cake this year!
    Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #43
    Kevinbstbll9

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Was Smooth Rider on acoustic?
    Kevinbstbll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #44
    dreamingtreeIU

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bricktop13 View Post
    he's waiting to come to NY

...look at their schedule ...it really makes no sense and set up alpine to fail this year...they get back from Europe, Tired, Jetlagged, sick of not having a good hamburger....and they go out west for two days just to fly back east to start another east coast swing..........too bad...SPAC takes the cake this year!
    Seems like they would have waited til around Deer Creek. maybe done the NY shows first then a big midwest swing. Also, Alpine is by no means "out west". It is in the middle of the country.
    Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #45
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

With these shows, I've now been to 7 (all at Alpine) and while my sampling is pretty small, this was easily the worst show I've been to. I had fun and enjoyed the show, but something just didn't seem right and it probably was the laziness/jetlag they were suffering from. The whole show just was weird, that's the best way I can put it. Crush seemed unusually shortened and they were done before 11 which is unheard of at Alpine.
    Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #46
    Covnut

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post
    Most nights, fans like you already get their way, so why begrudge us for wishing for a rarity every now and again?
    Haha! I want rare songs too you know! That's fine wish all you want. Due to the fact that this season has been relatively the same through out, I would be happy with The Stone and Smooth Rider, but I apparently need to love Minarets too, just because it's rare doesn't mean its so great. I have noticed that many of you only enjoy songs that are rare. I HATE minarets and screw you for wanting to force it on normal fans.
    Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #47
    Covnut

My Tour Central Stats

Arabian lovers hahahaha
    Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #48
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

I saw 9 shows in 2005. Alpine N1 was nothing compared to most of those atrocities.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #49
    kav2312
    slim knows the score

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    With these shows, I've now been to 7 (all at Alpine) and while my sampling is pretty small, this was easily the worst show I've been to. I had fun and enjoyed the show, but something just didn't seem right and it probably was the laziness/jetlag they were suffering from. The whole show just was weird, that's the best way I can put it. Crush seemed unusually shortened and they were done before 11 which is unheard of at Alpine.
    That really is the only way to put it, it was wierd. To me, it did not feel like a normal show. It just felt out of sync. I still had a good time and enjoyed many of the songs (especially LITHOG AND Stone). Anyways, Im glad they really brought it for N2.
    kav2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #50
    Nick21227

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

It is a privilege to see this band so I will not complain about the setlist. Even though it wasnt my dream set I was still happy to see them play. The whole vibe of the show was odd though. I do however want to complain about the people that sat around me. I have been to around 20 shows and never seen a group of people be so disrespectful. This was my wife's first Dave show and I was hoping that it would be an awesome time. The people in front of us were a bunch of drunk college kids that kept kicking the seats back into us because they couldn't stand. Then they stubbed all of their friends in. The kid in front of me decided to stand on his chair and fall back into me. Not once but twice. I nicely tapped him on the shoulder and said hey man I cant see anything. He responded with a shrug of the shoulders and said too f'ing bad dude. Oh I almost forgot the girl with them that flicked ashes on my wife when I went to the bathroom. She actually had to tap her on the arm and say, "Could you please not flick your ashes on me"? I asked one of the venue workers to check their tickets, which I usually would not do but it was out of control. He checked 2 peoples tickets then looks at me and says, " they all have tickets man". It just did not seem like the venue had control of anything that was going on. I also dont have a problem with people smoking weed at shows, it is going to happen. I just dont want people to blow it into my face if I ask them not to. But they proceeded to smoke blunts and blow it all up in my face. The guy next to us decided to try to get on the girl he brought. This was after she had told him about 25 times to stop! I am not even joking. Then he did the Arsenio Hall fist pump thing after drinking about 8 beers and spilled all over my wife's purse and shoes. So I was basically in protection mode all night making sure no one did anything stupid to hurt us. I didnt even get to enjoy the music which was a big bummer. Each time I though I was getting into the set someone would do something I could not believe.

I was considering buying tickets for N2 but after our horrible experience with N1 we made the decision to drive home.
    Nick21227 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #51
    kitkatjammin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick21227 View Post
    It is a privilege to see this band so I will not complain about the setlist. Even though it wasnt my dream set I was still happy to see them play. The whole vibe of the show was odd though. I do however want to complain about the people that sat around me. I have been to around 20 shows and never seen a group of people be so disrespectful. This was my wife's first Dave show and I was hoping that it would be an awesome time. The people in front of us were a bunch of drunk college kids that kept kicking the seats back into us because they couldn't stand. Then they stubbed all of their friends in. The kid in front of me decided to stand on his chair and fall back into me. Not once but twice. I nicely tapped him on the shoulder and said hey man I cant see anything. He responded with a shrug of the shoulders and said too f'ing bad dude. Oh I almost forgot the girl with them that flicked ashes on my wife when I went to the bathroom. She actually had to tap her on the arm and say, "Could you please not flick your ashes on me"? I asked one of the venue workers to check their tickets, which I usually would not do but it was out of control. He checked 2 peoples tickets then looks at me and says, " they all have tickets man". It just did not seem like the venue had control of anything that was going on. I also dont have a problem with people smoking weed at shows, it is going to happen. I just dont want people to blow it into my face if I ask them not to. But they proceeded to smoke blunts and blow it all up in my face. The guy next to us decided to try to get on the girl he brought. This was after she had told him about 25 times to stop! I am not even joking. Then he did the Arsenio Hall fist pump thing after drinking about 8 beers and spilled all over my wife's purse and shoes. So I was basically in protection mode all night making sure no one did anything stupid to hurt us. I didnt even get to enjoy the music which was a big bummer. Each time I though I was getting into the set someone would do something I could not believe.

I was considering buying tickets for N2 but after our horrible experience with N1 we made the decision to drive home.
    I feel your pain. Night 1 is always a disaster. It seems as though Night 1 ends up being more of a social function than a concert.
    kitkatjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #52
    bcvolk

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Loved the opening of N1's show!!! Really a great way to start the show, especially after a crappy/cold day in the middle of July. Must agree with most...'Smooth Rider' was not, never will be, on my wish list. What a waste, with all the great songs these guys could have done, what on earth possessed 'em? I'd rather hear the entire new album with 6 'oldies' thrown in!

N2, wow...SNOOZER for the first half the night. Never have there been so many bathroom break songs all crammed together like that! Normally, with that setlist, I wouldn't complain...but they played half those songs last year at Alpine. What gives, who wants to see, basically, the same show two years in a row? Shouldn't they look at the previous years playlist? They just seemed to play the same thing the last two years. And once again, 4th year in a row...NO WATCHTOWER! What's a guy gotta do? I will say, the last half of the night, other than Thank You...was outstanding!!! I can't say I've seen that many songs in one night, I just need watchtower!!!
    bcvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #53
    kitkatjammin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcvolk View Post
    Loved the opening of N1's show!!! Really a great way to start the show, especially after a crappy/cold day in the middle of July. Must agree with most...'Smooth Rider' was not, never will be, on my wish list. What a waste, with all the great songs these guys could have done, what on earth possessed 'em? I'd rather hear the entire new album with 6 'oldies' thrown in!

N2, wow...SNOOZER for the first half the night. Never have there been so many bathroom break songs all crammed together like that! Normally, with that setlist, I wouldn't complain...but they played half those songs last year at Alpine. What gives, who wants to see, basically, the same show two years in a row? Shouldn't they look at the previous years playlist? They just seemed to play the same thing the last two years. And once again, 4th year in a row...NO WATCHTOWER! What's a guy gotta do? I will say, the last half of the night, other than Thank You...was outstanding!!! I can't say I've seen that many songs in one night, I just need watchtower!!!
    Not quite sure what show you were watching N2, but no part of the night was a snoozer.
    kitkatjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #54
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And once again, 4th year in a row...NO WATCHTOWER! What's a guy gotta do?
    Stick around for the encore on N2 in 2007 to see it? That's what I did.

Since this is the N1 thread- N1 sucked. Utter suckitude. The band could have played ultra sharp, but the song selection was just not for me at all and, when you don't like the songs, you tend to not like the show. The Lying In The Hands of God jam at the end was probably the best good surprise of the night, but I'm still not a fan of the song. On the Smooth Rider intro, I really thought they were going to do Genesis' 'I Can't Dance', because that's what it sounded like. I'd much rather they have played that song than fucking Smooth Rider. Bayou, Cornbread and Alligator Pie should never all be played in the same set- Alligator Pie is the only one that should ever be played, period, but all three? I was so disappointed. From what I read in one of the other threads, the N1 setlist had Dreaming Tree in it, but they played So Damn Lucky instead, which I'm happy about, because DT was way to good for that set. I'm glad it was put off til the next night, where it fit right in.

I can't decide if this show was worse than the opening Target Center show in Winter 05. But I'm 0-2 on getting good tour-leg opening shows, so maybe I should take the hint and not go to those shows.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #55
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    leg-opening.
    huh huh

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #56
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    N2, wow...SNOOZER for the first half the night. Never have there been so many bathroom break songs all crammed together like that! Normally, with that setlist, I wouldn't complain...but they played half those songs last year at Alpine.
    You should get your head checked if you don't enjoy Proudest Monkey, Squirm, Pig, You Never Know, and The Dreaming Tree.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #57
    MovinWINE2TEARs
    i was a monkey

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    If what you are saying is true, and it might be ,they should lower ticket prices for the first few shows back. Significantly. Otherwise they are being greedy assholes, playing subpar shows for the same price.

hehehehehe

I love Deer Creek.
    MovinWINE2TEARs is offline   Reply With Quote