Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #31
barbogast
Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagadelic View Post
If you were able to sample every single person that has ever posted with regularity on these boards, I guarantee the majority would have BW at WORST a 4th place album over all time.

ok bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #32
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    I guess we better drop Alpine down a peg into the class of Deer Creeks, Hartford, WPB, etc. That way there are no high expectations.

Good thing the tailgate didn't suck I assume or else this thread would have been a suicide note I suppose.
    Wait a minute shit stirrer.

I'm going to WPB and I expect a reach around from Dave.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coombse View Post
    Wait a minute shit stirrer.

I'm going to WPB and I expect a reach around from Dave.
    WPB has been getting good sets the past few years (ok maybe not last year) but it's still a cookie cutter venue and doesn't have the history that the Big 3 venues carry.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Seems about right. Although I liked N2 more than N1.

Tailgating was great both nights.
    Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #35
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

My Tour Central Stats

Big whiskey so bad.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
    clcfball11
    Gooooooose

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Night 2 might as well have been a festival hosted specifically for 16 year old girls. And if you enjoyed the show and are offended, I don't give a fuck.
    clcfball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsied55 View Post
    If we are talking about the casual fan/ bro sure they know 1 album so of course they would like the 1 album they have heard which is why they are at the show. However anyone who has heard 3-5 albums from the band the overall consensus that we see is BW is in the bottom half of albums created.

Person above stated BW was good work and that was the consensus when indeed the consensus here is that its not. And since the casual fan pry has no album to compare BW too since they don't know the library very well....how could they come to a decision on where it ranks?
    It's pretty amazing how many people on this site think of DMB's fanbase in terms of a hardcore fan/drunk frat daddy binary. Message board fans and shitfaced bros, that literally don't know any songs in the DMB canon except for Crash, You & Me, and Two Step make up like 1% of any given audience. People that pour hours of their life into a message board getting into pissing contest with strangers about a set a band played at a show they weren't at and people who drop $75 to see a band they know barely anything about are rare. DMB doesn't give a fuck about the self-professed die hards on this site or what the puking brosef on the lawn thinks and they really shouldn't. Also, if you think there are fans that have heard none of the bands albums except BW you're fucking nuts. BW wasn't a crossover commercial success at all; there's no way that album defines DMB for anybody. Crash is the album that defines DMB in the minds of the casual fans
    Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #38
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post

ok bro
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=325969

I think we took care of that discussion.
    Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #39
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Man, I was under the impression that I had a great time this weekend. I'm so glad that this review was here to let me know that everything actually sucked and I just saw the worst 2 shows in DMB history. Thanks OP!!

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    It's pretty amazing how many people on this site think of DMB's fanbase in terms of a hardcore fan/drunk frat daddy binary. Message board fans and shitfaced bros, that literally don't know any songs in the DMB canon except for Crash, You & Me, and Two Step make up like 1% of any given audience. People that pour hours of their life into a message board getting into pissing contest with strangers about a set a band played at a show they weren't at and people who drop $75 to see a band they know barely anything about are rare. DMB doesn't give a fuck about the self-professed die hards on this site or what the puking brosef on the lawn thinks and they really shouldn't. Also, if you think there are fans that have heard none of the bands albums except BW you're fucking nuts. BW wasn't a crossover commercial success at all; there's no way that album defines DMB for anybody. Crash is the album that defines DMB in the minds of the casual fans
    They make up wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than that. Probably in the whereabouts of 50% of the lawn at least. So you're looking at about 7,000 people per show.
    Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

And to respond to the lockman thread, I somewhat agree with you.

I was only able to make N2 (sat in the lawn because my sister got free tickets. Was at a wedding in Iowa and made the trek). This was my 33rd show. Absolute last time I'll ever sit in the lawn. Nearly every song, my sister and I felt like we were the only ones singing, dancing and having a good time LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. The rest of the lawn acted as if they were in their friend's backyard enjoying a nice $11 beer. Why would you even attend if you're going to just carry on a conversation while the band is playing? Just absolutely absurd.
    Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #42
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    hahahaha have you ever actually been to a DMB concert? Say there is 25,000 people in a venue....7,000 inside and 18,000 on a lawn. I would say 5,000 of the people inside are big fans....I would say 3,000 of the 18,000 on the lawn are big fans....I would say total you might have about 5,000 more that are just fans who know 25 or so songs. The other 12,000 in attendance are drunk lax bros/ girls from there 16's to 25/ older people who were dead heads or somewhere in that rank who wanted to check the band out/ people who know about 4 songs. Also I am not sure if you really paid attention but BW actually did get a decent amount of mainstream attention and attracted a lot of newer fans which you see on display at shows as you notice the sing alongs to You & Me and or the cheer that happens during SMLAM.......personally I would be willing to bet more people would side with my assumption of the crowd then yours.
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #43
    kornisdabomb

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    And to respond to the lockman thread, I somewhat agree with you.

I was only able to make N2 (sat in the lawn because my sister got free tickets. Was at a wedding in Iowa and made the trek). This was my 33rd show. Absolute last time I'll ever sit in the lawn. Nearly every song, my sister and I felt like we were the only ones singing, dancing and having a good time LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. The rest of the lawn acted as if they were in their friend's backyard enjoying a nice $11 beer. Why would you even attend if you're going to just carry on a conversation while the band is playing? Just absolutely absurd.
    You must have been in a different part of the lawn then me everyone was belting out the lyrics where i was I loved grace is gone with stanley not the best setlists but i had an amazing time and people are way too picky here about the setlists instead of enjoying the shows themselves.
    kornisdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
    yankeesguy86

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

I think people took Lockman's thoughts far too serious - it's hard to argue these shows weren't up to the usual excellence, setlist-wise, that Alpine gets year in, year out. With all the great songs played this summer, I'm surprised at the songs they left off.

I saw four shows - Deer Creek and Alpine. From N1 at Deer Creek to N2 at Alpine, things got progressively more mediocre. Still fun, but as much as I love this band I can't defend some of the setlist choices this weekend. More mind-boggling than anything.

And the encores both nights were . . . well . . . interesting?
    02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
    yankeesguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #45
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kornisdabomb View Post
    You must have been in a different part of the lawn then me everyone was belting out the lyrics where i was I loved grace is gone with stanley not the best setlists but i had an amazing time and people are way too picky here about the setlists instead of enjoying the shows themselves.
    Probably the choruses, as those are usually the only parts they know. I had that happening. Nothing else though. Verses were dead. Just a bunch of people talking.
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
    yankeesguy86

My Tour Central Stats

If anything, neither show had great flow. Each night had moments where they built momentum and that classic Alpine crowd was on the brink of going nuts. One example - Grace, Grey St., Recently, Jane was a great 4 song stretch, and then You & Me (which despite usually getting a great response got a very, very muted one). Just like that, momentum lost, and never really picked back up.
    02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Man, I was under the impression that I had a great time this weekend. I'm so glad that this review was here to let me know that everything actually sucked and I just saw the worst 2 shows in DMB history. Thanks OP!!
    Oh, wow, sorry. I thought I was in the part of this forum that asked for our own personal opinions? My mistake. Next time I'll try to cater my opinions to be exactly like what you think.

We'll have to work on that telpathy thing first though. Really tough to get down. I'll try harder to read your mind so I can post your exact thoughts before posting my own opinions in an opinion section of a DMB forum that asks for people's personal reviews.

Last edited by lockman21; 07-08-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #48
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 View Post
    I think people took Lockman's thoughts far too serious - it's hard to argue these shows weren't up to the usual excellence, setlist-wise, that Alpine gets year in, year out. With all the great songs played this summer, I'm surprised at the songs they left off.

I saw four shows - Deer Creek and Alpine. From N1 at Deer Creek to N2 at Alpine, things got progressively more mediocre. Still fun, but as much as I love this band I can't defend some of the setlist choices this weekend. More mind-boggling than anything.

I thought n1 encore was great. I have a personal connection to Some Devil, and Rapunzel is well, RAPUNZEL . N2 I can skip over Dreamgirl, but I don't have the same hate for Timebomb like most on this board does. I liked the full version. And two step was fantastic, the crowd interaction was great.
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #49
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

People really take offense to opinions different from their own around here. If you don't think every show you went to was a good time, you're basically an idiot.

It's not the first time I've been chastised for not enjoying a show.
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
    yankeesguy86

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    People really take offense to opinions different from their own around here. If you don't think every show you went to was a good time, you're basically an idiot.

I still enjoyed the shows . . . but let's be honest. We go to a lot of DMB shows because of those euphoric moments, those stretches of songs where one after the other you can't believe how much good stuff they're playing.

Alpine was merely good, and years like '12, '08, and '04 set the bar very, very high. This weekend was good . . . but weird.
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #51
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I still enjoyed the shows . . . but let's be honest. We go to a lot of DMB shows because of those euphoric moments, those stretches of songs where one after the other you can't believe how much good stuff they're playing.

Alpine was merely good, and years like '12, '08, and '04 set the bar very, very high. This weekend was good . . . but weird.
    Maybe I'll just start going every 4 years
    Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #52
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

My Tour Central Stats

This was my first trip to Alpine. I've been to SPAC several times, and I wanted to cross off another one of the big three off my list. I was at four shows prior to Alpine (star lake, blossom, camden) after seeing Camden N2, I was expecting a "holy fuck" show, so going there I didn't mind the 10 hour drive. Alpine is gorgeous. The tailgating is awesome, the people of Wisconsin are friendly, but Dave hit a fucking pot hole with these shows. N2 was easily the worst show I seen this year, and puts it with Governors Island, Cville N2 2012, and Wrigley N2 as the biggest let downs of the 55 shows I've been to. I did my best to enjoy the shows, but standing in the pit and watch the band play a 2010 set was painful.

Hopefully saturday at hershey can ease the pain.
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #53
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

No one is taking offense to anything. Not to mention that you were clearly trolling for people to argue with you by titling the thread the way you did.

You're just impossible to please. What could this band do short of playing a set consisting of nothing but pre-2001 material that would satisfy you?

Not including jams and teases, 22 out of the 44 songs played this weekend have been played 6 or fewer times out of 25 shows this tour. There were 5 tour debuts. They just didn't happen to be the ones you wanted to hear.

And why does every one expect every Alpine show to be filled with uber-rare songs? The crazy epic setlists happen like once every 4 years. A few mouse clicks can tell you that. What makes Alpine special is the band's love for it and the connection with the crowd. If you go in every year expecting sets like '04, '08, or '12, you're bound to be let down more often than not.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #54
    HeadInTheClouds

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

i just poked my head in here and laughed out loud when i read this

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    I guess we better drop Alpine down a peg into the class of Deer Creeks, Hartford, WPB, etc. That way there are no high expectations.

Good thing the tailgate didn't suck I assume or else this thread would have been a suicide note I suppose.
    i just saw my 9th and 10th shows at alpine and the other 8 were ALL at deer creek. all between 2006-2009 and 2012 if you're curious as to the timeline.
    from the second the fellas took the stage on night one of Alpine i saw something completely different in their body language and even the way they were playing. not sure how many times i've seen 41....i wanna say 3 or 4 at deer creek. but the Alpine 41 blew me away cause dave was singing his heart and soul out like in Listener Supported or something. i'd never seen him give more of himself with my own eyes at a show. i won't be going back to deer creek again unless i wasnt able to make it to an Alpine weekend.

in conclusion.....Alpine isn't even close to the same venue as Deer Creek.

oh and if that was sarcasm.....i'm socially awkward. sorry.
    Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #55
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post

selling the tickets to the rest of my summer shows, pm me

#thisbandisfucked
    Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #56
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajc_1988 View Post

selling the tickets to the rest of my summer shows, pm me

#thisbandisfucked
    You can't just sit here and tell me that this weekend wasn't underwhelming. I wouldn't believe you if you tried. It wasn't up to par with not just Alpine, but all of the Summer 2013 shows.
    Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #57
    Shagadelic
    J

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Apparently this is my NBC moment, the more you know....and that's one to grow on. I had no idea...

Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #58
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You can't just sit here and tell me that this weekend wasn't underwhelming. I wouldn't believe you if you tried. It wasn't up to par with not just Alpine, but all of the Summer 2013 shows.
    I think I more than anyone have room to compare to the rest of the tour. I loved it.

Would I change some things? Sure.
    Did I have a blast, and enjoy the hell out of the sets? Yes.
    Will I be back next year? Yes.
    Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #59
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this is the correct answer
    Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #60
    yankeesguy86

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Maybe I'll just start going every 4 years
    I do have a theory - Alpine is better during the even years ('04, '06, '08, '10, '12) than the odds ('05, '07, '09, '13).

Coincidental? Of course. But the even years since '04 have on the whole been far, far better.