**NCAA Basketball Thread** - Page 2911 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > alternativefactsC > The Tailgate


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #87301
SmoothD41
Hoosiers
 
SmoothD41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 17,519

Shows Seen: 54

Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

I still love college basketball. I will say I am watching less (besides IU) this year than I have in a while, but I think it's just because of other obligations than anything else. I do think that replay/heading to the monitor absolutely kills momentum and the whole block/charge thing is still really messy. B1G refs seem particularly awful this year.
__________________

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #87302
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers
     
    SmoothD41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: Indy
    Posts: 17,519

    Shows Seen: 54

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Increased turnover because of the one and done rule. Before that rule, you had teams full of juniors and seniors who had played together their entire careers. Now we have a bunch of freshmen wunderkinds trying to learn on the fly and a sloppy product being the result. Tournament is still hot fire regardless.
    This, too. I freaking hate Purdue, but they are an absolute joy to watch this year if you get a chance. A bunch of juniors and seniors that you can tell have played well over 100 games together. And they play harder than any team I've seen in quite some time.
    __________________

    SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #87303
    seekupig
     
    seekupig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Posts: 19,517

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    the virginia vs duke battle for the acc should be interesting
    as should the Kansas vs Big XII battle.
    seekupig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #87304
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather
     
    mthawk07's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Tampa
    Posts: 10,845

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post
    This, too. I freaking hate Purdue, but they are an absolute joy to watch this year if you get a chance. A bunch of juniors and seniors that you can tell have played well over 100 games together. And they play harder than any team I've seen in quite some time.


    Teams like that are lethal in March.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #87305
    SmoothG
    Live don't exist
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Location: AndalucŪa
    Posts: 7,406

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    The pac12 is really bad. Maybe 1-2 bids. Lol asu.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #87306
    YouNeverKnow25
    Rickon? Rickard?
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 28,942

    Shows Seen: 102

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    so now everybody thinks williamson is going to clemson. interesting. better there than duke.
    __________________
    A toast to my big brother, George--the richest man in town.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #87307
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 25,251

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    so now everybody thinks williamson is going to clemson. interesting. better there than duke.


    I think thatís been the consensus for a little while. I have a buddy from the area and he knows Zion (a little bit) and people around him and he has thought itíd be Clemson. Allows him to use that one year to stay close to home and to be the man without having to play with other one and dones etc.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #87308
    kydmb99
    Jorts
     
    kydmb99's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Big Blue Nation
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to kydmb99

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    If Williamson goes to Clemson, it will pretty much confirm that Cal has lost something when it comes to recruiting. He's definitely not recruiting at the level he was, albeit still very good.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Yeah fuck Kentucky.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #87309
    YouNeverKnow25
    Rickon? Rickard?
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 28,942

    Shows Seen: 102

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    I knew the SC local theme was there but for as long as I followed it, that was leading him to scar.
    __________________
    A toast to my big brother, George--the richest man in town.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #87310
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 70,054

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    I had heard from scar and clemson people around here for a bit now that he's almost 100% going to clemson

    obviously anecdotal, but it's recruiting, so what isn't
    __________________
    films
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #87311
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 25,251

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    If Williamson goes to Clemson, it will pretty much confirm that Cal has lost something when it comes to recruiting. He's definitely not recruiting at the level he was, albeit still very good.


    I disagree. I think it just shows that other coaches have adapted, and some kids donít want to share the limelight. Also, some kids donít want anything to be difficult either. Playing at a UK or Duke for Cal or K isnít easy and some kids donít want to go through the tough parts.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #87312
    kydmb99
    Jorts
     
    kydmb99's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Big Blue Nation
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to kydmb99

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    I disagree. I think it just shows that other coaches have adapted, and some kids donít want to share the limelight. Also, some kids donít want anything to be difficult either. Playing at a UK or Duke for Cal or K isnít easy and some kids donít want to go through the tough parts.
    Well okay but it doesn't seem to be affect Coach K's recruiting. Kentucky doesn't have an elite NBA prospect on it's roster this year and probably won't next year. Honestly, I'm okay with it if it means we have some more talented veterans but Calipari has absolutely lost something in recruiting... I do think the "You don't need to go to Kentucky to get to the NBA" is one of the main reasons.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Yeah fuck Kentucky.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #87313
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 25,251

    Shows Seen: 42

    **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Well okay but it doesn't seem to be affect Coach K's recruiting. Kentucky doesn't have an elite NBA prospect on it's roster this year and probably won't next year. Honestly, I'm okay with it if it means we have some more talented veterans but Calipari has absolutely lost something in recruiting... I do think the "You don't need to go to Kentucky to get to the NBA" is one of the main reasons.


    Yea, your last point is probably the best one. I donít want to sound too homer-ish, but itís a possibility that when Cal and K make similar pitches of how they will prepare the kid to be a one and done, that the kids just prefer K and Duke over Cal and UK. I mean, Cal is great and so is UK, but maybe those guys are more drawn to K and Duke?

    Anyways, its tough to even know for sure bc UK had 3 really good ones last year in Monk, Fox, and Bam. I think Knox will get there heís just not quite there yet. I look at him and see him being similar to a Jayson Tatum, but not quite mature and rounded enough in his game. I think he needs one more year in school, even though he wont do it. But itís not like we are seeing a 3-4 year trend of this for them.

    Last edited by BruceW; Yesterday at 01:42 PM.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #87314
    YouNeverKnow25
    Rickon? Rickard?
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 28,942

    Shows Seen: 102

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    kentucky loses to carolina in the elite eight and has one year that's just good and not great, and all of a sudden cal can't recruit anymore and actually nobody really cares about college basketball at all
    __________________
    A toast to my big brother, George--the richest man in town.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #87315
    luccic12
     
    luccic12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Saratoga Springs
    Posts: 34,730

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    heard Zion is actually going to Siena from some of my sources there
    __________________
    -Anthony

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bohrman26 View Post
    Avett Brothers were awesome as shit last night. Made out with this girl I know. Pissed myself.
    luccic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #87316
    kydmb99
    Jorts
     
    kydmb99's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Big Blue Nation
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to kydmb99

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Yea, your last point is probably the best one. I donít want to sound too homer-ish, but itís a possibility that when Cal and K make similar pitches of how they will prepare the kid to be a one and done, that the kids just prefer K and Duke over Cal and UK. I mean, Cal is great and so is UK, but maybe those guys are more drawn to K and Duke?

    Anyways, its tough to even know for sure bc UK had 3 really good ones last year in Monk, Fox, and Bam. I think Knox will get there heís just not quite there yet. I look at him and see him being similar to a Jayson Tatum, but not quite mature and rounded enough in his game. I think he needs one more year in school, even though he wont do it. But itís not like we are seeing a 3-4 year trend of this for them.
    I don't know. Clearly that didn't used to be the case as I think for Cal's first 6-7 years he was outrecruiting Coach K pretty consistently. That's changed.

    Knox has talent but he's not a very good basketball player. Some team will take him in the first round but I could easily see him being like James Young and flaming out in a few years.

    I'm not saying Cal isn't still recruiting at a very high level but he's also swinging and missing on elite recruita pretty consistently now. Just not totally sure what's changed... but we're seeing the results on the floor this year.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Yeah fuck Kentucky.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #87317
    kydmb99
    Jorts
     
    kydmb99's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Big Blue Nation
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to kydmb99

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    kentucky loses to carolina in the elite eight and has one year that's just good and not great, and all of a sudden cal can't recruit anymore and actually nobody really cares about college basketball at all
    I don't know why you keep droning on about this besides the fact that you always have to make some attempt at being witty. I've literally never said Cal can't recruit anymore, it has nothing to do with North Carolina, and I've noticed the regular season being completely irrelevant for several years, even when UK was elite. I'm very sorry I brought it up.

    Also, I follow UK recruiting very closely. Cal has missed on a lot of recruits lately. Just think it's interesting and I don't know, maybe worthy of a discussion in a thread dedicated to college basketball. Will run it by you first next time.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Yeah fuck Kentucky.

    Last edited by kydmb99; Yesterday at 01:51 PM.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #87318
    Rodey
    #FearTheDeer
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Madison, WI
    Posts: 66,259

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    I think Zion goes to Duke.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #87319
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 25,251

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    I don't know. Clearly that didn't used to be the case as I think for Cal's first 6-7 years he was outrecruiting Coach K pretty consistently. That's changed.



    Knox has talent but he's not a very good basketball player. Some team will take him in the first round but I could easily see him being like James Young and flaming out in a few years.



    I'm not saying Cal isn't still recruiting at a very high level but he's also swinging and missing on elite recruita pretty consistently now. Just not totally sure what's changed... but we're seeing the results on the floor this year.


    Well for most of those years K was not about recruiting one and dones. He would specifically tell kids he did not really want them to only stay for one year. Kyrie was the first time he decided to give it a shot, and then once UK won with Davis etc the landscape truly began to change and he knew he had to accept it.

    He still doesnít fully support one and done and he wants the rule changed, but he knows that itís to their advantage to get those kids.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #87320
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 25,251

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luccic12 View Post
    heard Zion is actually going to Siena from some of my sources there


    Damn. Thatíll be the team to knock Duke out early next year then.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #87321
    YouNeverKnow25
    Rickon? Rickard?
     
    YouNeverKnow25's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 28,942

    Shows Seen: 102

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    still keeping it up!
    __________________
    A toast to my big brother, George--the richest man in town.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #87322
    kydmb99
    Jorts
     
    kydmb99's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Big Blue Nation
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to kydmb99

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Popularity of college basketball and discussions about recruiting are off limits in the college basketball thread unless you want YNK to burn you with stupid GIFs
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Yeah fuck Kentucky.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #87323
    luccic12
     
    luccic12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Saratoga Springs
    Posts: 34,730

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Vandy has more top 11 recruits locked up for next year than Kentucky. Should fire Cal immediately.
    __________________
    -Anthony

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bohrman26 View Post
    Avett Brothers were awesome as shit last night. Made out with this girl I know. Pissed myself.
    luccic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #87324
    kydmb99
    Jorts
     
    kydmb99's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Big Blue Nation
    Posts: 25,387

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to kydmb99

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luccic12 View Post
    Vandy has more top 11 recruits locked up for next year than Kentucky. Should fire Cal immediately.
    Doesn't matter. Tyler Herro will be the new non-trippy Grayson Da God
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Yeah fuck Kentucky.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #87325
    BruceW
     
    BruceW's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: FLA
    Posts: 25,251

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: **NCAA Basketball Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Doesn't matter. Tyler Herro will be the new non-trippy Grayson Da God


    Grayson Da 16% from 3 last 3 games...
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Tags
    basketball , ncaa

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter