Girls (HBO Show) - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
CrashTheStone41
Cordially Invited
 
CrashTheStone41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Across The Universe
Posts: 41,309

Shows Seen: 30

Girls (HBO Show)

Been hooked ever since the first episode. Anybody else watch this show? It's hilarious and Lena Dunham is a genius. Writes, directs and stars in the show. Pretty impressive.
__________________
I don't mean to interrupt you future magistrates and noblemen, but l, uh, I need a word.

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 37,936

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    We discuss it frequently in the TV thread. I hated the pilot but have enjoyed the subsequent episodes for what they are - an occasionally hilarious, sometimes tone-deaf look at people I don't really have anything in common with. Didn't see Sunday's, though.
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User
     
    davet7462's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Posts: 15,153

    Shows Seen: 49

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I tried to get into this show. Saw the first 6 episodes and I think I'm going to give up. I'm totally missing the 'genius' aspect and I find no likable characters.
    davet7462 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
    LadyMadonna68
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 51,097

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    i've seen the first 4 episodes, i'm liking it so far
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I hate Lena Dunham's character but like the show.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
    curlycal
     
    curlycal's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: nj
    Posts: 1,207

    Shows Seen: 23
    Send a message via AIM to curlycal

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    love this show. makes it much more entertaining when you can relate to so many of the situations on the show.
    __________________
    And you don't get a refund, if you overpray
    Crab in my shoe mouth...
    curlycal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Posts: 37,936

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davet7462 View Post
    I tried to get into this show. Saw the first 6 episodes and I think I'm going to give up. I'm totally missing the 'genius' aspect and I find no likable characters.
    She's certainly not a genius, but someone that young to be writing, starring and directing is pretty impressive.

    The one thing I think people miss about Girls is that most of the characters aren't supposed to be likable. It's a snapshot of a demographic presented without much judgement. I think Dunham is well aware that the characters aren't very sympathetic.
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User
     
    davet7462's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Posts: 15,153

    Shows Seen: 49

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beebz View Post
    She's certainly not a genius, but someone that young to be writing, starring and directing is pretty impressive.

    The one thing I think people miss about Girls is that most of the characters aren't supposed to be likable. It's a snapshot of a demographic presented without much judgement. I think Dunham is well aware that the characters aren't very sympathetic
    .
    Yeah - I get that. And I'm okay with having characters that aren't likable - but I don't find the show funny or interesting. I find the virgin character to be too unbelievable. Plot lines just slog on for seemingly no purpose. (Granted - maybe alot of it gets tied up/together later in the season.) I dunno - maybe I'm just too old for this one.
    davet7462 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake
     
    junior94's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: City Of Angels/City Of Brotherly Love
    Posts: 33,035

    Shows Seen: 2
    Send a message via AIM to junior94 Send a message via Yahoo to junior94

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beebz View Post
    She's certainly not a genius, but someone that young to be writing, starring and directing is pretty impressive.

    Exactly this. However, while I've not seen her feature debut Tiny Furniture yet, what I've heard about it, it seems to be covering the exact same ground that the TV series does. A young girl freshly out of college who's now freaked out by the fact she has to figure out what to do with her life, has no clue.
    __________________
    Kevin

    "Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
    RJP2741
     
    RJP2741's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: The Boston Garden
    Posts: 25,995

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Thank you Dave! I'm right there with you. I quit after 4 episodes. The best thing the show has going is Brian Williams daughter, Marnie. I never found it particularly funny or interesting. The characters seem to range from me having no opinion on them either way (Marnie, Shoshanna) to me actively disliking the characters (Hannah, Adam, Jessa). The worst part is that I wanted to like the show. I should be able to connect to it, at least on the "out of college, looking for a job" level, but I can't do that because Hannah is such a dumbass.

    Lena Dunham certainly has some talent, but there just isn't anything I enjoy about the show. It's not fun to watch, it doesn't make me laugh, and the storylines and the characters are not interesting to me.
    __________________
    #needmoreToby

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User
     
    davet7462's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Posts: 15,153

    Shows Seen: 49

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RJP2741 View Post
    Thank you Dave! I'm right there with you. I quit after 4 episodes. The best thing the show has going is Brian Williams daughter, Marnie. I never found it particularly funny or interesting. The characters seem to range from me having no opinion on them either way (Marnie, Shoshanna) to me actively disliking the characters (Hannah, Adam, Jessa). The worst part is that I wanted to like the show. I should be able to connect to it, at least on the "out of college, looking for a job" level, but I can't do that because Hannah is such a dumbass.

    Lena Dunham certainly has some talent, but there just isn't anything I enjoy about the show. It's not fun to watch, it doesn't make me laugh, and the storylines and the characters are not interesting to me.
    You said exactly how I feel about this show, RJ. It just became a wasted half hour to me.
    davet7462 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I would definitely like the show way more if it weren't Lena Dunham trying to make it all about her.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
    berman1125
     
    berman1125's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Hartford
    Posts: 35,832

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I really like this show and Marnie is hot as hell
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Ummm...how many times does Dave literally have to say “I don’t care” for you to believe him?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    The British chick is my favorite cause she's actually kind of normal. Hannah is ridiculous, Shoshonna is ridiculous, and Marnie only complains, even though she is really hot.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
    LadyMadonna68
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 51,097

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Marnie is a babe
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
    RJP2741
     
    RJP2741's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: The Boston Garden
    Posts: 25,995

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    The British chick is normal??? I am very out of touch with my own generation.
    __________________
    #needmoreToby

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Maybe not normal, but she isn't weird for the sake of being weird like Hannah.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
    RJP2741
     
    RJP2741's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: The Boston Garden
    Posts: 25,995

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    True. She still seems like a caricature of one of those earthy, crunchy hippy chicks though, to me anyway.

    I also don't mean to shit on the show, just surprises me that so many people love it while I really don't care for it. To each his own though.
    __________________
    #needmoreToby

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
    dre2142
    Get it done
     
    dre2142's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 44,014

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Im digging it. I wasnt thrilled with the episode where she went home.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Does Lena Dunham think that she's super attractive and everyone wants to see her naked all the time?
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
    dre2142
    Get it done
     
    dre2142's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 44,014

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Does Lena Dunham think that she's super attractive and everyone wants to see her naked all the time?
    i dont think shes super attractive but i dont think shes a dog.

    shes kinda frumpy, but it seems that she has lost weight since they shot the season. she actually looks good in the hbo behind the scene exceprts.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
    water_into_wine
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Boston
    Posts: 35,204

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I just find this show to be really funny.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
    LadyMadonna68
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 51,097

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    it is really funny.
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I think the dialogue's pretty good. It's realistic and not in the Diablo Cody "everyone is really really witty and makes 90s references all the time" realistic.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
    LadyMadonna68
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 51,097

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    I think the dialogue's pretty good. It's realistic and not in the Diablo Cody "everyone is really really witty and makes 90s references all the time" realistic.
    absolutely this.
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #26
    berman1125
     
    berman1125's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Hartford
    Posts: 35,832

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Does Lena Dunham think that she's super attractive and everyone wants to see her naked all the time?
    no, but i commend her for not caring. good for her, she is taking chances and it is working
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Ummm...how many times does Dave literally have to say “I don’t care” for you to believe him?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake
     
    junior94's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: City Of Angels/City Of Brotherly Love
    Posts: 33,035

    Shows Seen: 2
    Send a message via AIM to junior94 Send a message via Yahoo to junior94

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Does Lena Dunham think that she's super attractive and everyone wants to see her naked all the time?
    From the first few episodes I bothered watching, I take it as her just trying to reinforce the ideal that there doesn't have to be this society-wide accepted "only this is attractive", that like, yea I know I've got a few extra pounds (but like someone else said, she's certainly not fugly or anything), but I'm gonna put it right out there in the open because it's "real" as just as valid as anything else.
    __________________
    Kevin

    "Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
    thebridge15
     
    thebridge15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Posts: 74,438

    Shows Seen: 18

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    I don't have a problem with Dunham's appearance at all. I'm not saying I don't think she has a right to do naked scenes based on her appearance. I'm just saying that it's kinda weird that she has so many, sometimes gratuitously, especially when you consider that she writes the show.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    bills are paying the jags o-line coach 4 million this year.

    that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
    LadyMadonna68
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 51,097

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    no, but i commend her for not caring. good for her, she is taking chances and it is working
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    From the first few episodes I bothered watching, I take it as her just trying to reinforce the ideal that there doesn't have to be this society-wide accepted "only this is attractive", that like, yea I know I've got a few extra pounds (but like someone else said, she's certainly not fugly or anything), but I'm gonna put it right out there in the open because it's "real" as just as valid as anything else.
    both of these.
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
    dre2142
    Get it done
     
    dre2142's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 44,014

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Girls (HBO Show)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    From the first few episodes I bothered watching, I take it as her just trying to reinforce the ideal that there doesn't have to be this society-wide accepted "only this is attractive", that like, yea I know I've got a few extra pounds (but like someone else said, she's certainly not fugly or anything), but I'm gonna put it right out there in the open because it's "real" as just as valid as anything else.

    plus its totally a part of her characters view of herself anyways.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram