Appreciation for setlists from 2010 - Present - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #91
EDDMB
Bartender please ....

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Appreciation for setlists from 2010 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
Here's the thing -- do you honestly believe that Dave views the quality of a show like AC N1 as equal to AC N3, especially from a fan's perspective?
Right.I agree.Thats the thing,AC N1 was the kickoff of the Caravan.Thats the setlist you come up with ?? AC N1 was packed.The best songs were saved for the next 2 nights.

Of course,that wasnt the case when I bought tickets to N3 RI,the last show of the tour.

I love this band,but much to my chagrin,N1 AC ,they sounded like they didnt play together in years,not 6 months.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #92
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's the thing -- do you honestly believe that Dave views the quality of a show like AC N1 as equal to AC N3, especially from a fan's perspective?
    I honestly think that Dave doesn't try to see it from a fans perspective at all, at least in terms of setlists. I think he is more interested in how did the band play. IMO, I think dave would rank a show with a "shitty" setlist that the band played well on over a show with a "epic" setlist that the band messed up or sounded bad on.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #93
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Othello-5 View Post
    I honestly think that Dave doesn't try to see it from a fans perspective at all, at least in terms of setlists. I think he is more interested in how did the band play. IMO, I think dave would rank a show with a "shitty" setlist that the band played well on over a show with a "epic" setlist that the band messed up or sounded bad on.
    When does DMB really ever sound bad? Even when they play shitty songs they still play them well.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #94
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When does DMB really ever sound bad? Even when they play shitty songs they still play them well.
    The band will notice mistakes that we gloss over or miss. Every musician does. My point, however, was I think Dave's judgement on a show is based on the performance of the songs, not the setlist selection.
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #95
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I thought some of the Everyday tunes sounded like shit live compared with their studio counterparts, to be honest. I Did It, The Space Between, and If I Had It All especially come to mind for me.
    aronofsky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #96
    EDDMB
    Bartender please ....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    True.They always sound great.Thats why I was a little shocked they made a few mistakes N1 in AC.They didnt sound bad at all.Just rusty I guess. I heard N2, they also seemed a bit sloppy,by their standards.

But that was not the case, at the Gorge or Randalls.They are amazing live,and I only wish, I could buy more than a couple shows a year from them.
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #97
    bfarns

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EDDMB View Post
    Im a huge DMB fan,as well as U2 and PJ.U2,always play 95% the same setlist each night.Here and there,yes they add a song,but the main setlist is the same each night.

PJ have released almost every show on PJ.com,since 2000.DMB about 60 or so.U2 have what,2 or 3 live CDs....maybe.PJ and DMB are amazing live,and mix up their sets each and every night.Unlike U2,you never know what songs PJ and DMB are going to perform.

I cant think of any other big live act,other than DMB,who can play 3 nights in one city,without one repeat.PJ (who I love) will have 2 or 3 repeats over a 2 night stand.

Bottom line...DMB are amazing live and give the fans their all.Be happy they are still touring.I cant wait for the DMB 2012 Summer Tour.....
    ----------
    I agree with the above post. Pearl Jam is awesome live. I saw U2 in '09 at Giants Stadium and made the mistake of checking their touring setlists the night before. I was floored by the fact they play virtually the same setlist each night, same order of songs too.

Pearl Jam and DMB are two great live bands. Really the only two live acts I try to see yearly or whenever touring.
    bfarns is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #98
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfarns View Post
    ----------
    I agree with the above post. Pearl Jam is awesome live. I saw U2 in '09 at Giants Stadium and made the mistake of checking their touring setlists the night before. I was floored by the fact they play virtually the same setlist each night, same order of songs too.

Pearl Jam and DMB are two great live bands. Really the only two live acts I try to see yearly or whenever touring.
    U2's setlist strategy is overwhelmingly common for many rock bands. The setlist is 75-90% the same across shows, usually geared towards whatever album is being promoted, as well as hits from past albums.
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #99
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    You are pretending like they have repeated a song at gorge recently... I know you have a very busy cancelling show schedule and rooting for two teams in the same conference but its pathetic
    This is how you troll, folks.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #100
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    dave probably thinks every song is equal in quality. cant imagine how a professional musician can honestly come to that conclusion.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #101
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    dave probably thinks every song is equal in quality. cant imagine how a professional musician can honestly come to that conclusion.
    I'm not sure he actually thinks that, BUT I think he might disagree with many of us on which ones are more quality than others.

He seems to love Cornbread a lot more than he loves Last Stop, just for instance, if you look at the number of plays they've both gotten since their beginning. But I don't think tooooo many of us think Cornbread is as good as Last Stop.
    Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #102
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I never said that Dave thinks all the songs are equal. I said i would think Dave thinks his songs are all pretty good and that since that is the case he will play the newer ones because he hasn't played them over and over again for 20 years. He knows they aren't all equal but he probably doesn't think any of his songs are shitty and if he did think it was shitty he wouldn't play it. I can't imagine him thinking when he writes setlists. "Damn Can't Stop is a total piece of shit of a song, let's play it tonight because it's a piece of shit and the fans hate it."
    Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #103
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I never said that Dave thinks all the songs are equal. I said i would think Dave thinks his songs are all pretty good and that since that is the case he will play the newer ones because he hasn't played them over and over again for 20 years. He knows they aren't all equal but he probably doesn't think any of his songs are shitty and if he did think it was shitty he wouldn't play it. I can't imagine him thinking when he writes setlists. "Damn Can't Stop is a total piece of shit of a song, let's play it tonight because it's a piece of shit and the fans hate it."
    right on
    Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #104
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i think there is a general ignorance towards what gets bigger pops from the crowd though. dave most likely enjoys all his work equally, but certain songs just get better reactions from the paying customers than others.

when im at a show, its obvious. sometimes painfully obvious.
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #105
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i think there is a general ignorance towards what gets bigger pops from the crowd though. dave most likely enjoys all his work equally, but certain songs just get better reactions from the paying customers than others.

when im at a show, its obvious. sometimes painfully obvious.
    I really doubt this is true. If that were true, I don't think he'd play certain songs so much more often than others, regardless of the crowd. Dave is always talking about how he plays what he wants, and he makes it clear which songs he really likes at a given time i.e. pretty safe bet he loves playing Seven and Hands of God and Jimi Thing based on his own comments. Probably less so Crazy Easy and Blue Water.
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #106
    EDDMB
    Bartender please ....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave likes the newer material,as do I.Im just a little sick of Spaceman.I like BW alot.

Sometimes I do wonder, if Bono actually thinks his fans want to hear, the Ill Go Crazy Tonight Brutal Live Remix, at shows.But then again,that song was perfect for my bathroom breaks at my 4 U2 gigs in July.....
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #107
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

jimi thing is a good song til the jam starts. and thats almost 10 minutes, which is excrutiating.
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #108
    moccasin
    We'll Lock You Away

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I sometimes wonder if Dave realizes the significance of a concert or venue. Take SLC for example....2 years in a row the band was forced to cancel the concert there,
    so you might think that when they finally played there in 2010 he would try to make the set list something special. Instead it was imo very weak, with nothing truly memorable.
    I still had a great time, but have to admit I was a little disappointed.

Dave Matthews Band
    August 17, 2010
    USANA Amphitheatre, West Valley City, UT

Squirm
    Shake Me Like a Monkey
    Stay or Leave
    Seven
    Crush
    Still Water »
    Don't Drink the Water
    Lying in the Hands of God
    Gravedigger
    Grey Street
    Write a Song
    Corn Bread
    Jimi Thing
    Why I Am
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    You & Me
    Ants Marching
    -----------------------------------
    Sister
    The Last Stop [tease]
    Two Step
    Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #109
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    jimi thing is a good song til the jam starts. and thats almost 10 minutes, which is excrutiating.
    I think the jam with Tim and Coffin is pretty great, myself. If Butch were still scatting, I'd be peeing and getting beer.
    Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #110
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aronofsky41 View Post
    I think the jam with Tim and Coffin is pretty great, myself. If Butch were still scatting, I'd be peeing and getting beer.
    Jimi Thing with Jeff is a monster, and has been since 7.01.08. As a musician, I can appreciate Butch's scatting (it takes skill to be able to sing an improvised solo as you are playing it), but it was never all that enjoyable to listen to...at all. (in fact, I can remember seeing it in 07 and going from "thats impressive" to "he needs to wrap it up" in about 20 seconds or so.)
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #111
    CGTP13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

The Jimi Thing jam is awesome, RR, Jeff and Tim shine. The only part I dislike is Dave scatting. Some of the outros can be annoying too, FWIW is great though IMO.
    CGTP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #112
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    The Jimi Thing jam is awesome, RR, Jeff and Tim shine. The only part I dislike is Dave scatting. Some of the outros can be annoying too, FWIW is great though IMO.
    For What It's Worth is the one I'm really sick of. I never need to hear that outro again personally.
    Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #113
    Bernie41
    2022 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moccasin View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Dave realizes the significance of a concert or venue. Take SLC for example....2 years in a row the band was forced to cancel the concert there,
    so you might think that when they finally played there in 2010 he would try to make the set list something special. Instead it was imo very weak, with nothing truly memorable.
    I still had a great time, but have to admit I was a little disappointed.

Dave Matthews Band
    August 17, 2010
    USANA Amphitheatre, West Valley City, UT

Squirm
    Shake Me Like a Monkey
    Stay or Leave
    Seven
    Crush
    Still Water »
    Don't Drink the Water
    Lying in the Hands of God
    Gravedigger
    Grey Street
    Write a Song
    Corn Bread
    Jimi Thing
    Why I Am
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    You & Me
    Ants Marching
    -----------------------------------
    Sister
    The Last Stop [tease]
    Two Step
    thats not cool
    Bernie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #114
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    This is how you troll, folks.
    i must have missed all the repeats at gorge the past couple years.... the only thing that really is repeated is retards having glow sticks. Nice try though
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #115
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

It's really simple when it comes to why Randalls Night 3 was so odd in comparison to the other sets from N3s.

Dave writes the Caravan sets at one time. Ie, he sits and writes N1, N2, Dave and Tim, and N3 all at one time. That's why to the hardcore fans, you end up getting generally N1: the worst show, N2: better show, and N3: best show. N2/N3 sometimes were arguable as to whether or not N3 was better. Almost always though, N3 had more old school tunes.

After Randall's, this all became very clear to me. When writing the sets, Dave knew he couldn't repeat 70-80% of the Gov Island set for night 1. So he intentionally sprinkled those songs throughout the weekend. What ended up happening was a very interesting Night 1 and Night 2 - night 1 had Seek Up, Rapunzel, Say Goodbye, LIOG, and Rhyme and Reason. Night 2 had One Sweet World, Drive In Drive Out, Cortez/41 with Warren... when it came to writing a Night 3 setlist, Dave probably just looked at his song list, and picked the songs he wanted to play. (The Stone, Warehouse, DDTW, A-Pie, Halloween, LIOG Reprise and a double encore ain't nothing to sneeze at!)

One thing to consider:

This is Governors Islands set and what night at Randalls the songs were played

Don't Drink the Water N3
    Squirm N3
    Grey Street N1
    Shotgun N2
    You Might Die Trying N3
    Stay or Leave N2
    Spaceman N1
    Jimi Thing N3
    Shake Me Like A Monkey N1
    Too Much N2
    Out of My Hands N3
    Lying In The Hands Of God N3
    Crush N2
    Good Times Bad Times not played
    Blackjack N1
    Granny N1
    Funny The Way It Is N1
    All Along The Watchtower Not played
    Like A Hurricane Not Played
    Time Bomb Not Played
    Two Step N2

Gov Island Songs played N1 Randalls: 6
    Gov Island Songs played N1 Randalls: 5
    Gov Island Songs played N1 Randalls: 6
    ( 4 songs not played )

Basically, I think Dave intentionally distributed the songs from Gov. Island equally throughout the 3 Randall's shows. Randalls N3 had a weak main set, but the weekend overall definitely beat two other caravans. Frankly, the caravans were getting predictable, and NYC had 3 very unpredictable shows.... oh, Dave and Tim Typical Situation, I love you.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #116
    gocubsgo3822
    American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

why do you think he writes the caravan sets all at once? is their evidence to that? just curious is all?

imo he wrote them nightly
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #117
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    why do you think he writes the caravan sets all at once? is their evidence to that? just curious is all?

imo he wrote them nightly
    given that this is the first tour where an effort was made to not repeat songs at a venue over a three day weekend, I'd say that he wrote them out together beforehand, and then made changes as he felt like once the weekend got going.
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #118
    floating4awhile

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

This isn't the first tour where Dave attempted to avoid repeats over a 3 day weekend. Have a look at the Gorge from last year.
    floating4awhile is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #119
    cward

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I was a little shocked with all of the complaining about sets in 2010. (I don't know why, its pretty common around here) IMO, there were quite a few liberations that everyone was clamoring for and some great older tunes got in the mix even if some of them were played sparingly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    You sound like a curmudgeony old man.
    cward is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #120
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Whatever. I just downloaded 7/10/2004 and looking at that setlist, I just feel they aren't trying to please us anymore.

That was an average 2004 show, at freaking Hershey park no less (a place I would never go to see DMB again), and look at how many rare/fan fav/classically great DMB tunes they played,only a few short years ago (when we all bitched then too).