Uber (becoming a driver) - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #31
ExistenceNow
AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Uber (becoming a driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
I am not a huge fan of surge pricing. That's definitely a drawback from using Uber on holidays. Some of the bills from NYE that were posted online were staggering.

Yea those were bad but the people that woke up surprised and outraged were a bit ridiculous. You had to confirm the surge and even type in the amount it was surging before you accepted your ride. So they agreed to it in advance.

If they didn't want to pay that much they could have waited it out.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #32
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Yea those were bad but the people that woke up surprised and outraged were a bit ridiculous. You had to confirm the surge and even type in the amount it was surging before you accepted your ride. So they agreed to it in advance.

If they didn't want to pay that much they could have waited it out.
    It's fine just would make me look for alternative transportation home. In Chicago, all public transit is free on NYE.

If people were loaded enough to agree to some of those rates, it's probably for the best. $350 is nothing compared to a DUI.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #33
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Yea busses and our one train were free here on NYE.

No doubt on the DUI.
    Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #34
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

So I did Uber for about the last 6 months or so that I lived in Milwaukee. For me personally, it wasn't terribly lucrative, but I would accredit that far more to my own personal circumstances than as a general rule of thumb. As I already indicated, despite not making a terribly great deal of money, I still really enjoyed the gig while it lasted - my customers as a whole were really friendly, and I loved being able to work on my own time without any real obligations.

The three big hinderances for me though are something that you might need to consider yourself depending on your circumstances.

1. I learned the hard way, but it's essential to have a car with good gas mileage. I was using my parents' Ford Edge while working as an Uber driver. The plus side of an Edge is that the customers by and large loved it - it's extremely comfortable and roomy, so you are able to take bigger parties than your normal, and therefore reject less rides. Be very careful with taking more than your car can fit though. Anything bad happens, that's a major lawsuit waiting to happen. The downside is obvious - it's a gas guzzler, and it's not hard to be down a fifth of a tank after taking only 3 or 4 rides.

2. The gas guzzler aspect leads to my next point. I lived in a quiet suburb of Milwaukee that was about 20-25 minutes from where all the action was on the weekends. So the fairly decent drive took a good chunk of gas and you're making no money on that gas you're burning up. I said in my previous post that I would do Uber (or Lyft) again, especially in Nashville which I would think is a far better market than Milwaukee, but Murfreesboro is just a bit too out of the way that I would be even worse off now than what I was doing in Milwaukee in regards to getting to the places where all the action is. My personal vehicle doesn't meet the requirements for either Uber or Lyft, so if I do it again, I am waiting until I am living on my own in the middle of the city, close to the action with an upgraded car. I won't use an SUV again, especially in a city that is as spread out as Nashville is.

3. When I was working Uber, I was also a pizza delivery driver, which means my peak hours for delivering pizzas coincided with the peak hours for Uber - Friday and Saturday nights. That was obviously scheduled shifts where I can't choose my own hours, so by the time I was done delivering pizzas, I was just plain too tired to do anything substantive for a night of Uber. Sometimes, I would skip out altogether when there was plenty of money to be made, but both my energy and patience levels would get low. I absolutely hated dealing with game or bar traffic, so some nights would just get too frustrating for me, and I'd call it early. The job I have now is perfect for doing Uber on the side since it's a typical 9-5 Monday-Friday. It's just a matter of living in the city and having a good car to make it happen.

My two biggest tips of advice for a gig like this: Have patience and as the Uber "training" suggests, have cold water for your customers. Trust me, they love it, and they will usually either tip you (though you are supposed to decline it on their first offer, but the vast majority of customers who do offer a tip insist on giving one) or give you an auto 5-star rating for providing it.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #35
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Oh shit. Are you supposed to tip Uber drivers? I never have because I thought you weren't supposed to.
    Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #36
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh shit. Are you supposed to tip Uber drivers? I never have because I thought you weren't supposed to.
    I've always been told not to tip them but idk for sure. My friends and I usually throw a few dollars their way because 1. They're helping us out with a ride and 2. We're plastered and more inclined to tip
    Old 01-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #37
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's not expected for you to tip them. It's a nice thing to do, but I never looked down on people who didn't.

I gave almost all of my riders 5 stars. The ones who didn't get 5 were usually either unfriendly or super frustrating to deal with - had nothing to do with them not tipping.
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Old 01-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #38
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

You get ranked as a rider? I'd assume that appears when the request comes in, so the driver can actually make a decision based on the rider?
    Old 01-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #39
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Yea we rank riders but it doesn't really make a difference. I usually hit accept instantly and don't even look at the rider's rating. We have to accept like 80 or 85% of all requests, and you'll want to do that anyway to make money, so I'm not picky on who I pick up. I don't think I've ever declined a run.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 01-07-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #40
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Good points from Casey.

I live in South Austin so the commute downtown is only like ten minutes, but even given that, if I'm starting a shift from home I'll sit there until I get a ride down by where I live so I can get paid to commute downtown.

You always want to minimize how much driving you do on your own dime. This is why you don't chase surges outside of the zone you're in. By the time you get there, they'll be over and you'll have driven to another zone for free.
    Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #41
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

I always suspected that if you gave a rider a 1 star rating, then the Uber system would recognize it and create some kind of firewall that would prevent you from ever getting that particular person again. Not sure if that's actually true, but it would seem like a logical system to implement.

I only gave one rider ever a 1-star rating and it was because she had me driving around a mall parking lot for 20+ minutes trying to find her, instead of staying put at the main entrance like any logical person would do. It didn't help that she was rude on the phone.
    Quote:
    Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #42
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I know if they rate us three or less we don't get matched up ever again. Not sure if it works the other way but that would make sense.
    Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #43
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

btw I'm guessing one of the practical requirements is you having a quality GPS unit in your car. Like they don't even trust you claiming you "know the area really well"

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #44
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know if they rate us three or less we don't get matched up ever again. Not sure if it works the other way but that would make sense.
    I think it does work the other way. Amber uses it daily in NYC and she's said that before. Makes sense.
    The point is wash the produce.
    socopithy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #45
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    btw I'm guessing one of the practical requirements is you having a quality GPS unit in your car. Like they don't even trust you claiming you "know the area really well"
    I forgot to mention this as one of my big tips. The "phone" they give you has GPS capabilities and you should definitely use it when in doubt. Especially important when you're giving out-of-towners a ride.

Getting lost is a sure fire way to get a low rating from your riders. Have learned this the hard way.
    Quote:
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #46
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Huge potential in SoNo and Stamford. My 23 year old brother frequents both those spots very frequently and says there is still a shortage of Ubers when bars are approaching closing time.
    it's actually crazy how few there are. when I was back over both holidays, I was usually able to get an uber, but it took a couple times of checking

the plus side also is that you'll often be driving people even further away (ie neighboring towns) than the standard minimum uber trip you might see often in a small city.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #47
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post

GPS is built into the driver app. You can switch over to Google Maps if you don't like it.
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #48
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by socopithy View Post
    I think it does work the other way. Amber uses it daily in NYC and she's said that before. Makes sense.
    I meant us as in drivers. I know if a rider rates a driver three stars or less, that that rider will never get that driver again. I'm not sure if a driver rates a rider three or less if the same thing happens... It makes sense that it would.
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #49
    socopithy
    Resident Trash Panda

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I meant us as in drivers. I know if a rider rates a driver three stars or less, that that rider will never get that driver again. I'm not sure if a driver rates a rider three or less if the same thing happens... It makes sense that it would, otherwise I'm not sure what the point of rating riders is.
    No that's what I was answering to.
    The point is wash the produce.
    socopithy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #50
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    it's actually crazy how few there are. when I was back over both holidays, I was usually able to get an uber, but it took a couple times of checking

the plus side also is that you'll often be driving people even further away (ie neighboring towns) than the standard minimum uber trip you might see often in a small city.

Long rides are double edged swords. On the one hand, it's a bigger fare. On the other, if you're taking someone to the burbs, you're unlikely to get a fare on the way back so the mileage back to town is out of your pocket.
    Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #51
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

To add a little to my response to Kevin, regarding trust, if I know my passenger is a local, I will ask them if they have a preferred route to where we're going, or I'll give them two options (highway or back roads). As a local, when I'm riding, I absolutely have ways I'd prefer to go to get to my house.

If they're from out of town, they're going the way I want to go. I don't try to run people up. I just pick the fastest way. Sometimes that means more mileage for me, sometimes it means less.
    Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #52
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Not like this question matters much because uber is pulling out of San Antonio anyways, but for curiosity's sake: let's say I live in a small tourist town that is part of Ubers "San Antonio" area. Does that mean I'm obligated to drive all over San Antonio because that's the coverage area or can I stay limited to my small town? Hope I worded that right.
    Old 01-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #53
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

I live out in the burbs & work downtown, always thought maybe I should get the app to see if someone can help me pay for gas when I drive to work, and then drive home
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #54
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Huge potential in SoNo and Stamford. My 23 year old brother frequents both those spots very frequently and says there is still a shortage of Ubers when bars are approaching closing time.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post

The downside to Sono and Stamford is the bros who can't hold their liquor. I have a 2015 Escape which is probably one of the more comfortable cars for passengers, but it's also what I drive daily and bring my 5 year old to school in. I don't need barf stains in it...

The upside is I live 5 mins from Sono and 10ish minutes from downtown Stamford and like you both said, there are a surprisingly low amount of cars in the area. I had one friend who did it in the New Haven area and he stopped after about two weeks because he picked up some guy who wanted to be driven to a drug deal

Quote:
    I only do when it's a long trip or to an airport where it can be a pain in the ass to drive.
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #55
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I got all excited about doing this and putting aside a little extra $$$ and now my wife is very hesitant. We only have one car and it is a 2005 with close to 205k miles on it. The roads in Cleveland are not very good and she's really worried about the wear and tear on the car. We have to make our car last at least until she's done with school, but personally I think a few months of doing Uber won't kill our car. She's been very nervous of this car giving out on us since we moved here. I personally think it will be fine if I do it just for a few months. Of course if something happened to the car then I may as well pack up and move hahaha.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #56
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Another drawback: a leased car. I only get 12k miles a year and I'll probably need all 36k of em.
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #57
    JTRocks

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Question for a driver…do you ever get any passengers that get angry with the routes you take to get to certain destinations? Like they get mad that you’re not taking the same route they would be taking if they were driving? I usually keep my mouth shut when I’m a passenger unless they’re just completely going the wrong way about it.

I live in Chicago and have been thinking about doing it, but that’s really the only thing I’m worried about is getting some asshole that is mad about the route I’m taking.
    JTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #58
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Not like this question matters much because uber is pulling out of San Antonio anyways, but for curiosity's sake: let's say I live in a small tourist town that is part of Ubers "San Antonio" area. Does that mean I'm obligated to drive all over San Antonio because that's the coverage area or can I stay limited to my small town? Hope I worded that right.
    Technically, you have to service the entire area. But the app pings the closest driver to the passenger so it's unlikely that if you're sitting in New Braunfels, that you'll get a ping in San Antonio unless there are just no drivers out. But even then, you can decline it.

What's more likely to happen is that you'll pick up a passenger in New Braunfels and they'll want to go to SA, which leaves you with the choice of just taking them, or kicking them out of your car and cancelling the ride.

So in practice you can kind of avoid SA but if you're declining and cancelling too many rides, Uber will block you (fire you.)

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 01-08-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #59
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTRocks View Post
    Question for a driver…do you ever get any passengers that get angry with the routes you take to get to certain destinations? Like they get mad that you’re not taking the same route they would be taking if they were driving? I usually keep my mouth shut when I’m a passenger unless they’re just completely going the wrong way about it.

I live in Chicago and have been thinking about doing it, but that’s really the only thing I’m worried about is getting some asshole that is mad about the route I’m taking.
    As I mentioned above, if they make it known to me the they're a local, and we're going some distance, I'll ask if they have a preferred route.

The people that are the type to get angry about a route you take are also the type to bark the route they want you to take when they get in the car, so it doesn't really happen that I'm mid route and someone gets upset.
    Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #60
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    I live out in the burbs & work downtown, always thought maybe I should get the app to see if someone can help me pay for gas when I drive to work, and then drive home
    With Lyft, you can put in where you're going and it will only ping you with pickups going that direction.

Can't do that on Uber though, at least that I know of, so you might end up with a passenger going the opposite way as you (no way to tell where the pax is going until they're in the car and you start the trip.)