London show 12th March - Opinion - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
matt4p

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

London show 12th March - Opinion

Did anyone else think the London show in the 12th was pretty poor? My 11th time seeing Dave/DMB since 1996 and I thought it was a bit dull approx 40% of the show. I don't have anything overly constructive to say about it but I found it a shame that Dave's interaction was minimal, setlist average, starting the show with the extended Seek Up was a boring way to kick it off and I do miss Boyd. It felt the Boyd adjustment meant too many Brass solos. I do love Rashawn and Jeff but you can actually have too much. The main issue was the sound though. I was in the stalls, central and about 2/3rd of the way back, which i normally find ideal but the balance was completely off and on occasion a bit of a din. I've never found any reason to complain in the past and I've absolutely adored every other show. Obviously I'll still go next time though and hope for a better night.
Anyone else think similar?
matt4p is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
    matt4p

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: London show 12th March - Opinion

I was there with 2 longtime DMB fans and my girlfriend. We all felt the same. What really disappointed me was my girlfriend loved the Dave and Tim show 2017 at the same venue and I told to expect great things from seeing the full DMB experience
    matt4p is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
    42km
    Drive In : Dive Out

Shows Seen: 141

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt4p View Post
    Did anyone else think the London show in the 12th was pretty poor? My 11th time seeing Dave/DMB since 1996 and I thought it was a bit dull approx 40% of the show. I don't have anything overly constructive to say about it but I found it a shame that Dave's interaction was minimal, setlist average, starting the show with the extended Seek Up was a boring way to kick it off and I do miss Boyd. It felt the Boyd adjustment meant too many Brass solos. I do love Rashawn and Jeff but you can actually have too much. The main issue was the sound though. I was in the stalls, central and about 2/3rd of the way back, which i normally find ideal but the balance was completely off and on occasion a bit of a din. I've never found any reason to complain in the past and I've absolutely adored every other show. Obviously I'll still go next time though and hope for a better night.
    Anyone else think similar?
    That new DMB violin-less sound has finally made it across the pond. Clearly a very different sound from what originally attracted many to this band over its first 25 years. Things have changed. If you read individual show threads starting with the beginning of the 2018 summer tour you will find tons of postings expressing much the same opinions as you. It’s the new reality. You don’t have to love the present sound. I, for one, believe that there are too many good songs that are so much better with a violin. No need to drop the keys in order to add a violin down the road. Hopefully soon.

Europe 2024: Milan, Florence
    Summer 2024: Alpine x 2, SPAC x 2, Gorge x 3
    42km is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Welcome to 2018 DMB. There's apparently still thousands of ballwashers out there that love this garbage. I go to DMB shows to see my friends, life long friends made through this band. The magic is gone for me. The new album sucked when it came out and it still sucks. 2016 was my turning point. It was obvious there was big tension directed at Boyd, justifiably but the sets became very stale as Dave beat the living shot out of 30-35 songs sprinkling in some "rarities", many I could have cared less about hearing again (hello Stand Up).

Now, Dave appears to be enjoying himself much more but with the nonsense fans now go through for tickets (variable platinum pricing, garbage seats going to fan club members, premium seats brutally priced and Dave's disdain for his own fans (anyone else see the video where he tells North American fans he didn't cross the pond to see them over there?) so, fuck em....

I'll go to SPAC to support a charity I love and see numerous friends. That's it.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #5
    TonyB

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Similar feelings here for 12/3 - weedy sound especially. I was in the stalls, fairly close (about the floor rake starts), slightly right of centre. I went back to the bar at about 9.30pm, the sound was much fuller back there - coincidentally this is where the sound desk is as well.

Minarets saved the day for me, first in all the shows I've seen (9 + 1 D&T). I left to beat the crowd when AATW started.

However, I really enjoyed the new guy (sorry don't know his name). Great jazzy/gospel sound, bit like Cory Henry.

3/12 was 6/10 for me, 3/13 much better, 9/10.
    TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coombse View Post
    Welcome to 2018 DMB. There's apparently still thousands of ballwashers out there that love this garbage. I go to DMB shows to see my friends, life long friends made through this band. The magic is gone for me. The new album sucked when it came out and it still sucks. 2016 was my turning point. It was obvious there was big tension directed at Boyd, justifiably but the sets became very stale as Dave beat the living shot out of 30-35 songs sprinkling in some "rarities", many I could have cared less about hearing again (hello Stand Up).

Now, Dave appears to be enjoying himself much more but with the nonsense fans now go through for tickets (variable platinum pricing, garbage seats going to fan club members, premium seats brutally priced and Dave's disdain for his own fans (anyone else see the video where he tells North American fans he didn't cross the pond to see them over there?) so, fuck em....

I'll go to SPAC to support a charity I love and see numerous friends. That's it.
    We'll miss you at Bristow this year
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    However, I really enjoyed the new guy (sorry don't know his name). Great jazzy/gospel sound, bit like Cory Henry.
    Buddy Strong

Or, as I like to call him, Buddy Guy.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #8
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Or, as Dave likes to call him, Buddy Miller
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
    Majson

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I must have been at a different show to some of the other posters here. I enjoyed it enormously. Not sure there’s a need to be calling people ballwashers either but perhaps that’s just me.

I cant speak for the price of shows in the US, in the UK we are very strong on ticket pricing for events (shows, sports etc) and the stalls pricing of £53 was standard and I felt I got great value for money on that with over 2.5hrs music per show.

Someone mentioned opening with Seek Up was lame? Really? I loved every second of it. I had an ideal song list of 20 songs I’d love to see live, I got so many of them over the 2 nights that I could barely have enjoyed it more. IF they’d have thrown in Pig, Bartender, Proudest Monkey and Dreaming Tree I could not have asked for more.

Some of you guys have seen so many shows I’m sure you’ve had some real highs and seen a massive evolution of the band, some of us don’t get the chance to see that much so enjoy what we get. Yes There are of course a couple of songs im not overly fond of, Bayou, Stand up and perhaps sister/cant stop would fall into that however that being said Bayous jam was really enjoyable.

Sound was great from where I was, I was halfway up the stands (about level with toilets) and sound was perfect, as for what it was like closer I don’t know. 2nd night I was in the seats and sound was great too.

Guess each to their own but for me I got a seek up, you might die trying, recently, minarets, watchtower, #41, Rapunzel, don’t drink the water aswell as some of the newer songs I do enjoy like samurai cop, do you remember and a really good version of space between, fool to think aswell as You and me.
    Majson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

You lost me at boring Seek Up

2024 - Deer Creek & Gorge
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #11
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Majson View Post
    I must have been at a different show to some of the other posters here. I enjoyed it enormously. Not sure there’s a need to be calling people ballwashers either but perhaps that’s just me.

I cant speak for the price of shows in the US, in the UK we are very strong on ticket pricing for events (shows, sports etc) and the stalls pricing of £53 was standard and I felt I got great value for money on that with over 2.5hrs music per show.

Someone mentioned opening with Seek Up was lame? Really? I loved every second of it. I had an ideal song list of 20 songs I’d love to see live, I got so many of them over the 2 nights that I could barely have enjoyed it more. IF they’d have thrown in Pig, Bartender, Proudest Monkey and Dreaming Tree I could not have asked for more.

Some of you guys have seen so many shows I’m sure you’ve had some real highs and seen a massive evolution of the band, some of us don’t get the chance to see that much so enjoy what we get. Yes There are of course a couple of songs im not overly fond of, Bayou, Stand up and perhaps sister/cant stop would fall into that however that being said Bayous jam was really enjoyable.

Sound was great from where I was, I was halfway up the stands (about level with toilets) and sound was perfect, as for what it was like closer I don’t know. 2nd night I was in the seats and sound was great too.

Guess each to their own but for me I got a seek up, you might die trying, recently, minarets, watchtower, #41, Rapunzel, don’t drink the water aswell as some of the newer songs I do enjoy like samurai cop, do you remember and a really good version of space between, fool to think aswell as You and me.
    Welcome to Ants. If you have the audacity to enjoy anything they do now, you are a stupid ballwasher who should go join the DMB Fam because there is no possible way that you could actually enjoy something objectively, that isn't from the Big 3, it just isn't possible and you're kidding yourself into accepting a lazy inferior band with no violin.

If you criticize, then you're not a fan and shouldn't be allowed on fan board and just go listen to your '98 shows and not be allowed to offer your opinion on the current band.

There is no in between.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
    TonyB

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Welcome to Ants. If you have the audacity to enjoy anything they do now, you are a stupid ballwasher who should go join the DMB Fam because there is no possible way that you could actually enjoy something objectively, that isn't from the Big 3, it just isn't possible and you're kidding yourself into accepting a lazy inferior band with no violin.

If you criticize, then you're not a fan and shouldn't be allowed on fan board and just go listen to your '98 shows and not be allowed to offer your opinion on the current band.

There is no in between.
    Haha, well put. I quite like the new line-up, but didn't have anything massively against the previous one.

Regarding Bayou - I normally like this song, but thought it came across a bit weak on Tuesday. Agree Seek Up and DDTW were good, also Pantala/Rapunzel.

Needless to say I had some right ballwashers around me though (yay I have learnt a new word today). Endless phone use, chattering and a new one on me - leaving your bag/coat/etc on a pile on the floor, leaving to do something else and expecting everything to be exactly how you left it when you get back. At a standing gig.
    TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #13
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

There is no in between.

citizenkaneclap.gif
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

in 2018 I went to 5 shows. in 2016 I went to 9 because I knew they were done as we saw it. They have beat the shit out of the same songs for a while now, part of that is my fault, for seeing them so much. But last year West Palm was just like a previous show I saw. 4 out of 5 nights I got Jim/Can't Stop and other nonsense.

I'm not a big three must see but he's forgot them. And Dave himself makes it clear he doesn't give a fuck what fans want.

Buddy- I like what they've done with most songs live. Nancies, LIOG and others feel hollow but the way they did Help Myself sounded decent. But- they haven't played it again now have they?

I am the go between, I really am. I still follow, I still go but the shows have become stale, FOR ME, JUST ME. I am entitled to that and I have adjusted my attendance accordingly.

Look, #DMBFamily members are straight up lunatics who just go too far. I have never been that fan, but its me.

There is no in between.
    I am going to break this down for you from my perspective.

Many of our European fans get to see them that much so their perspective is important. Some may be happy, some not. Reality is the band has changed and so have numerous fans.

For me, 2016 sucked because they looked awful up there just gutting it out. 2018 they had fun up there, and that dynamic remains important for me.

/peace

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Did you go to the show the next night?
    Old 03-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
    imnothingman

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Any tapers spotted either nights.....?
    Old 03-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IndyDMB View Post
    You lost me at boring Seek Up
    Seek Up has been boring ever since Boyd left and Buddy joined, and it used to be a top 5 live song for me.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote