Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #31
crazypeople36

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
Did anyone here actually go to this show? I would love to hear stories of that
I was there. Impossible ticket to get at the time. This was pre Warehouse; that whole 98 tour was full of sellouts and high second market ticket prices.

That was my third show that week. Also went to 12/11/98 and 12/15/98. As others mentioned, on paper, 12/19/98 is one of the weaker Fall/Winter shows. For me, it was the worst show that I saw that week (12/15/98 being the best of my run IMO). The guest spots save the set. The vibe was definitely great in the building though, albeit a not so memorable evening.

I don’t ever listen to this show. There’s at least 10 shows that could/should have been picked over this for a release from that year. But the ease of using this show since it was already a webcast probably weighed very heavily in the decision to release it.
crazypeople36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #32
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    Where does Piedmont Park fit in?
    Good call, I forgot that one. I’d have it below Fenway on my list.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #33
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazypeople36 View Post
    I was there. Impossible ticket to get at the time. This was pre Warehouse; that whole 98 tour was full of sellouts and high second market ticket prices.

That was my third show that week. Also went to 12/11/98 and 12/15/98. As others mentioned, on paper, 12/19/98 is one of the weaker Fall/Winter shows. For me, it was the worst show that I saw that week (12/15/98 being the best of my run IMO). The guest spots save the set. The vibe was definitely great in the building though, albeit a not so memorable evening.

I don’t ever listen to this show. There’s at least 10 shows that could/should have been picked over this for a release from that year. But the ease of using this show since it was already a webcast probably weighed very heavily in the decision to release it.

What made more special for you 12.11 (Kohl Center, Madison, WI) and 12.15 (Champaign, IL) in respect to Chicago?
    Apart from UIUC chicks, I mean
    Old 01-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #34
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

12/11s two step is on first ever warehouse disc. Incredible version
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #35
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

On the topic of dubbing and making corrections to live releases, rather than start a new thread, I'll try here first.

A couple of you have mentioned Dave's voice has a lot of auto-tune applied for the Dave & Tim Live at Radio City, 4.22.2007. What songs is the auto-tune most evident on? I want to hear.

I downloaded Crumbo's tape and have the official release ready to compare.
    Old 01-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #36
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Intro to Bartender with Dave's wailing is noticeable. If you pay attention you can hear the electronic "warble" that is created by the pitch correction.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #37
    Sabres914

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Intro to Bartender with Dave's wailing is noticeable. If you pay attention you can hear the electronic "warble" that is created by the pitch correction.
    Intro to Bartender is the only part I've had time to listen to so far and the tape sounds the same as the live release to me. I don't notice too much difference.

Any other songs?
    Old 01-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #38
    crazypeople36

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    What made more special for you 12.11 (Kohl Center, Madison, WI) and 12.15 (Champaign, IL) in respect to Chicago?
    Apart from UIUC chicks, I mean
    The vibe in the buildings. 12.11 and 12.15 were in smaller, college arenas and were packed to the brim. That age group made up a large portion of the fan base back then too. The UC was great, don’t get me wrong, but for me those other two shows were better. I wasn’t at 12.17 or 12.18 but know people that went and would probably say the same thing about those two shows.
    crazypeople36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 09:41 AM   #39
    Typical_Ant

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabres914 View Post
    Intro to Bartender is the only part I've had time to listen to so far and the tape sounds the same as the live release to me. I don't notice too much difference.

Any other songs?
    He's a bit pitchy on tape, but it's not terrible. I think they just wanted the intro to a major release to not have a blemish. You can hear it "catching" as 07 technology wasn't quite as good as autotune now. I can't really tell if it's used much more than that on RCMH, and I've listened to it a lot over the years.
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #40
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabres914 View Post
    On the topic of dubbing and making corrections to live releases, rather than start a new thread, I'll try here first.

A couple of you have mentioned Dave's voice has a lot of auto-tune applied for the Dave & Tim Live at Radio City, 4.22.2007. What songs is the auto-tune most evident on? I want to hear.

I downloaded Crumbo's tape and have the official release ready to compare.
    Compare #41 with the tape. I recall there being a note that autotune “corrects” to a different note that Dave was going for.

Also, listen to the Gorge 2002 release (the CD/DVD release, not the entire weekend release). DIDO is a good example. The part where Dave starts at a lower note and slides all the way up to a higher note you can hear the autotune trying to grab each pitch along the way giving it a robotic sound.

I don’t think they use autotune on Dave’s voice anymore. My guess is that they use a different (and much better) pitch correction software called Melodyne. Corrections are done manually and you cannot tell that it is being used. It’s quite advanced actually. They could very easily use it to fix Boyd’s pitchiness. You can literally go in a change one note on a guitar chord with Melodyne and it leaves the other notes alone.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #41
    Typical_Ant

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Compare #41 with the tape. I recall there being a note that autotune “corrects” to a different note that Dave was going for.

Also, listen to the Gorge 2002 release (the CD/DVD release, not the entire weekend release). DIDO is a good example. The part where Dave starts at a lower note and slides all the way up to a higher note you can hear the autotune trying to grab each pitch along the way giving it a robotic sound.

I don’t think they use autotune on Dave’s voice anymore. My guess is that they use a different (and much better) pitch correction software called Melodyne. Corrections are done manually and you cannot tell that it is being used. It’s quite advanced actually. They could very easily use it to fix Boyd’s pitchiness. You can literally go in a change one note on a guitar chord with Melodyne and it leaves the other notes alone.
    In all honesty, I'm so glad you can hear Dave make singing mistakes at the live show. It lets me know it's still real. I think a lot of singers use something similar to Melodyne in real time these days. I'm pretty sure even an amateur act can use it for their live shows.

My opinion on it for live releases is to leave it as is unless it's really glaring. I think LIC used it on Boyd's solos because it would have been unlistenable. A few squeaks here and there, a few stretched notes by Dave is just REAL DMB to me.

Last edited by Typical_Ant; 01-18-2022 at 10:08 AM.
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #42
    Sabres914

My Tour Central Stats

Exclamation Re: Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post

Thank you for this input! I will give the tape and live release a listen to compare.

Anyone else have other areas I should listen to?