2020 Tour Rumors - Page 236 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #7051
skoobz314
Yea...that happened

Location: On the corner of Grey Street (at the end of the road)

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2020 Tour Rumors

Is there a possibility they do several smaller shows? Hear me out...if the worry is infecting 25-35k people at a full show, then the other logical choice is a half or some other percentage full show. Obviously to reduce the chance of transmitting the virus but also reducing the amount of people that would get sick if someone was positive. There is another solution...

A bunch of theater shows with open air shows mixed in. 1. They hold way less people so if 20% of the venue gets sick its way less people. 2. They can do more of them, offering more people a chance to see them in areas the band wouldn't normally hit. 3. More shows = more $$. They could figure out in a normal year how many people usually see them and thus how many shows would they need to do in order to equal that number. It would be a real grind for them but they would be back on tour, getting paid and getting their staff paid as well. Just a thought. Not likely to happen but its an alternative.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #7052
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post
    I am more optimistic about outdoor events, than I am indoor events. I mean, if Football teams can play at partial capacity, why cant a concert happen that way too? I dont see any arena shows happening. The cavs were granted a variance of 10% crowd size....that is not even worth anyones time.
    I get what you mean. But is it even worth DMB's time to come to a venue like SPAC, and play to a 50% crowd or less. They would have to charge more for tickets, and bring the most basic stage show imaginable to cut costs/maximize profits.

Plus, there is the potential of putting their fans at risk.

There's also the fact that they could probably do a full show right now in Florida, meanwhile California won't allow basically anything to happen. In order for a national tour to happen, the whole country has to be on the same page.

For these reasons, and many others, I just don't see it happening this year. DMB might do a few one-off socially distanced shows this year, for charity perhaps, and to raise morale. But as far as the big shows they have scheduled, with a large portion of those venues already sold... they can't possibly happen this year.
    Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #7053
    lilant420

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    Springsteen was hoping to tour in 2021 for his new album. But he recently said he’s not even planning to do any shows until 2022 sometime. No sense in putting new shows on sale if they can’t be guaranteed to happen.

I’ve been reading the Pearl Jam and Rolling Stones fan forums... they’re all pretty much in agreement that these 2020 reschedules probably won’t happen this year either.

I had tickets for Elton John Columbus show in April of 2020, and he didn’t even fuck with 21, he just pushed all his US dates back to 22.

I don’t know why Red Rocks announced an entire years worth of shows yesterday. This seems to go against everything else that’s happening.
    Once again, that RR announcement was just the rescheduled shows from 2020..... Riverbend sent the same thing out today....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skoobz314 View Post
    Is there a possibility they do several smaller shows? Hear me out...if the worry is infecting 25-35k people at a full show, then the other logical choice is a half or some other percentage full show. Obviously to reduce the chance of transmitting the virus but also reducing the amount of people that would get sick if someone was positive. There is another solution...

A bunch of theater shows with open air shows mixed in. 1. They hold way less people so if 20% of the venue gets sick its way less people. 2. They can do more of them, offering more people a chance to see them in areas the band wouldn't normally hit. 3. More shows = more $$. They could figure out in a normal year how many people usually see them and thus how many shows would they need to do in order to equal that number. It would be a real grind for them but they would be back on tour, getting paid and getting their staff paid as well. Just a thought. Not likely to happen but its an alternative.
    #GoBigOrGoHome
    Quote:
    I get what you mean. But is it even worth DMB's time to come to a venue like SPAC, and play to a 50% crowd or less. They would have to charge more for tickets, and bring the most basic stage show imaginable to cut costs/maximize profits.

Plus, there is the potential of putting their fans at risk.

There's also the fact that they could probably do a full show right now in Florida, meanwhile California won't allow basically anything to happen. In order for a national tour to happen, the whole country has to be on the same page.

For these reasons, and many others, I just don't see it happening this year. DMB might do a few one-off socially distanced shows this year, for charity perhaps, and to raise morale. But as far as the big shows they have scheduled, with a large portion of those venues already sold... they can't possibly happen this year.
    To answer your question, no the band won't be playing venues at 20%-50% capacity for social distancing.

Also, if you think they would do like a two week stand somewhere at limited capacity, throw that idea out as well.
    Old 01-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #7054
    troll565

Shows Seen: 83

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Pearl Jam are rescheduling their Summer European tour to 2022 it looks like.
    Old 01-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #7055
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troll565 View Post
    Pearl Jam are rescheduling their Summer European tour to 2022 it looks like.
    Sadly this was to be expected. Over the next month or two we’ll be getting all kinds of announcements like this. It’s not even a pessimistic opinion at this point, it just is what it is. Damn, what a clusterfuck. The only question now is do they just cancel or reschedule? I kind of doubt the ability exists to refund everybody for all the tickets for all the shows for all the acts.
    Old 01-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #7056
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skoobz314 View Post

I said a while ago that if DMB ran Gillette Stadium under normal circumstances, they would draw 25,000 fans tops and you could easily spread that out (well maybe easily spread out 10,000 fans--25,000 might be tough). Problem is, with everyone now hungry for concerts, I could see DMB selling out Gillette as folks would want their entertainment. In 2018? Probably not so much but it's different times.

Last edited by TypicalBilly14; 01-15-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #7057
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sadly this was to be expected. Over the next month or two we’ll be getting all kinds of announcements like this. It’s not even a pessimistic opinion at this point, it just is what it is. Damn, what a clusterfuck. The only question now is do they just cancel or reschedule? I kind of doubt the ability exists to refund everybody for all the tickets for all the shows for all the acts.
    Canceling would be a huge mistake imo
    Unless
    They tell us cancel but really rebooked.

No wayyyyyyy in hell you want to be a big touring band and not lock in ASAP with how many people will want to book
    Old 01-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #7058
    rick8285
    Go Cubs Go!

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

At least the pit will die as a result of all this. I want to sit close someday and refuse to stand in a 1-ft circle for 3 hours with no guarantee of my spot being there after a piss break.

Punch up at a wedding, ya know?
    Old 01-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #7059
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rick8285 View Post
    At least the pit will die as a result of all this. I want to sit close someday and refuse to stand in a 1-ft circle for 3 hours with no guarantee of my spot being there after a piss break.

Punch up at a wedding, ya know?

If you're willing to just chill on the side, there's plenty of room in the majority of pits to hang out with some space and have easy access to beer and bathrooms.

If you want to be first 4-5 rows dead center? Yea, ass to crotch all night with little hope of regaining your spot if you leave.
    Old 01-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #7060
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

So I was bored and got to imagining a scenario where the June/July dates get postponed, but starting in September they allow shows to happen. I just wrote this is up to show how they could reschedule the shows. Some of them might be kinda cold, but nothing an extra layer or two couldn't fix. People do it all the time for outdoor football games, it wouldn't phase me a bit! I realize a 2022 reschedule is more likely, but a guy can dream. I tried to factor in climate as much as I could, and the fact that DMB usually try to avoid playing on Mondays. They also typically only do 3 shows in a row over a Friday-Sat-Sunday. Most of them seem like they could be done, although Camden in early November is a bit rough, especially if it rains.

9/1- Vancouver
    9/3- Gorge
    9/4- Gorge
    9/5- Gorge
    9/8- Bend
    9/10- Irvine
    9/11- Irvine
    9/14- Albuquerque
    9/17- Houston
    9/18- Dallas
    9/21- Rogers, AR
    9/22- Southaven
    9/24- Milwaukee
    9/25- Chicago
    9/26- Chicago
    9/28- Maryland Heights
    9/29- Bonner Springs
    10/1- Denver
    10/2- Denver
    10/5- Cuyahoga Falls
    10/6- Cincinnati
    10/8- Durant
    10/9- Durant
    10/12- Clarkston, MI
    10/13- Toronto
    10/15- Noblesville
    10/16- Noblesville
    10/19- Burgettstown
    10/20- Syracuse
    10/22- SPAC
    10/23- SPAC
    10/26- Gilford
    10/27- Gilford
    10/29- Mansfield
    10/30- Holmdel
    10/31- Wantagh
    11/2- Virginia Beach
    11/3- Columbia, MD
    11/5- Camden
    11/6- Camden
    11/9- Raleigh
    11/10- Charlotte
    11/12- WPB
    11/13- WPB
    11/16- Tampa
    11/17- Alpharetta
    11/19- Mohegan Sun
    11/20- Mohegan Sun

Last edited by podiumboy; 01-16-2021 at 03:37 PM.
    Old 01-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #7061
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Texas is hot as balls in September. I'd swap those, and the rest of the southern run, with some of the northern shows like SPAC and Camden. Texas is nice in October.
    Old 01-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #7062
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Texas is hot as balls in September. I'd swap those, and the rest of the southern run, with some of the northern shows like SPAC and Camden. Texas is nice in October.
    And it would be cold in NE in Oct/Nov
    Hell it snowed on Halloween many times
    Old 01-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #7063
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I hope something like that can happen
    Old 01-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #7064
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I hope something like that can happen
    It would be awesome, but realism takes over and I’m thinking no chance in hell.
    Old 01-16-2021, 04:39 PM   #7065
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

I made this list assuming it would be in the band's best interests to honor as many of the original dates as possible. However, if they COULD move the shows in Irvine, NM, TX etc into November, that would allow more of the midwest and northeast to take place in September / early October, which would be much better.

Point is, if our luck is good and concerts are allowed to start happening in September, there is a chance they could squeeze everything into the fall if they wanted to keep these dates in 2021. That way they could then do a new summer tour in 2022!

I really hope DMB fights for shows to happen this year, instead of just following the party line and rolling over into next year. As long as the vulnerable, elderly and first responders are vaccinated by June, these things should be able to happen.
    Old 01-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #7066
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    It would be awesome, but realism takes over and I’m thinking no chance in hell.
    I think we can get major concerts again in the fall. Whether DMB comes out is yet to be seen. I doubt we get as many shows as was listed here though.
    Old 01-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #7067
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think we can get major concerts again in the fall. Whether DMB comes out is yet to be seen. I doubt we get as many shows as was listed here though.
    I hope you're right man. I miss shows so much. My last DMB show was Oak Mountain 2019. That was a fun day. Feels like a different world bro.
    Old 01-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #7068
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, for your fake our dates, please put Texas in October. That's the best month for weather in Texas.
    Old 01-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #7069
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Smart money is on DMB erring on the side of caution.

And while they should probably get used to playing to half empty sheds, I'm not sure they're ready to face that future just yet.
    Old 01-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #7070
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And while they should probably get used to playing to half empty sheds, I'm not sure they're ready to face that future just yet.
    I seem to recall reading that some sheds in 2019 were only half full so they're probably used to it by now.
    Old 01-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #7071
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Yes, for your fake our dates, please put Texas in October. That's the best month for weather in Texas.
    The Texas dates in September are real...
    Old 01-16-2021, 11:09 PM   #7072
    SoCalDMBLover

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    I seem to recall reading that some sheds in 2019 were only half full so they're probably used to it by now.

They get a fixed amount per show, regardless of how many seats get sold. Venues are willing to lose money on the front end, because they know how much they stand to make on Parking, Food and of course the big one, Alcohol.

I'd guess that most of those 1/2 full dates, were mid-week shows, in markets where DMB has always underperformed, which is why they are playing them mid-week. They make up for it with the SPAC's, Gorge's, West Palm Beach & Deer Creek shows, which are played to packed houses.

I know how people are hoping that perhaps the dates starting with The Gorge, are viable this year. I am seriously starting to doubt that, for one specific reason.

Beyond the fact I don't see Packed Amphitheaters the 1st week of September, the idea of cramming all those people into Campgrounds seems kind of insane. I suppose if proof of complete vaccination was required, it might have a tiny possibility, but even then it's going to be risky. They don't want to trigger any sort of outbreak, assuming the U.S. is starting to truly have the virus under more control.

I'm up for a December & January Outdoor Tour in CA & Hawaii though. Things should be much better by then.
    Old 01-17-2021, 04:59 AM   #7073
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If big bands are out that means its been deemed safe by health officials. I'd assume DMB will be out as soon as the green light is given if logistically possible. If the green light is given for shows of that size in September I do not expect DMB to say well we are going to be extra super careful so we will see yall in 2022.
    Old 01-17-2021, 07:02 AM   #7074
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

If arenas do temperature checks like they do at gyms and hair salons for fans trying to enter, you can bet that it will be an extra hour trying to get into the show. It's almost worth it to bail on tailgating and get into the show early versus standing in a line from 5:00pm to 6:30pm trying to get through the doors when shows do return.
    Old 01-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #7075
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If arenas do temperature checks like they do at gyms and hair salons for fans trying to enter, you can bet that it will be an extra hour trying to get into the show. It's almost worth it to bail on tailgating and get into the show early versus standing in a line from 5:00pm to 6:30pm trying to get through the doors when shows do return.
    They could set up a mass temp screening area. At Six Flags you walk through this room and you're on video with your temp showing on your head. Disney's temp screening area took like 5 minutes to walk through. It can be done quickly if that is something they decide to do.
    Old 01-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #7076
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They could set up a mass temp screening area. At Six Flags you walk through this room and you're on video with your temp showing on your head. Disney's temp screening area took like 5 minutes to walk through. It can be done quickly if that is something they decide to do.
    That's interesting. That might be an option and I wonder if they would allow it early enough so that it won't lead to everyone going at the same time to get their temperature taken.
    Old 01-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #7077
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's interesting. That might be an option and I wonder if they would allow it early enough so that it won't lead to everyone going at the same time to get their temperature taken.
    Good start but I don't think it's fool proof in preventing COVID spread. I had COVID and never had a fever. Normal temp doesn't always mean healthy with this thing
    Old 01-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #7078
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Good start but I don't think it's fool proof in preventing COVID spread. I had COVID and never had a fever. Normal temp doesn't always mean healthy with this thing
    Sorry to hear of you having COVID. I hope that you are doing better.

I agree on the fool proof part, I was just suggesting that regardless if they work or not, I'm pretty certain that arenas will be doing them anyways, no matter how reliable that procedure is.
    Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #7079
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    No fever with mine either. There is no 100% way to eliminate the risk when these events start back up. They won't start back up until the healthcare system isn't so stressed.

Once the vaccine rollout actually helps reduce stress on on the system we can have big events. But covid is going to exist for a long time.
    Old 01-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #7080
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=dontdrink36;17875248]No fever with mine either. There is no 100% way to eliminate the risk when these events start back up. They won't start back up until the healthcare system isn't so stressed.

Once the vaccine rollout actually helps reduce stress on on the system we can have big events. But covid is going to exist for a long time.[/QUOTE}

Certainly by September we should have at least most of the vulnerable people vaccinated in addition to a large percentage of the general public. The stress should be taken off the hospitals, which I thought was the whole point. At that point, there should be no reason why we can't resume life 100% normal. Full concerts, full football stadiums, etc.

But I feel like the goalpost is shifting again from what I described above, to acheiving Herd Immunity. That involves vaccinating 70-80% of the population. Then I feel like the next goalpost will be zero-covid.

I think somebody in the entertainment business will need to make a stand at some point. SOMEBODY is going to have to be the first to say "we have achieved these milestones, it's time to let us back onstage and crowds back into venues." I feel like most bands are liberalists, and therefore won't rock the boat. It will be country acts that actually take the reins on this.
    Closed Thread