New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 41 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #1201
kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
I don't think any of us need it. But we want it (to varying degrees) and that's natural and normal. The way they connect with fans around things like new music is outdated, I don't think there is any argument otherwise. Not over hyping things, but more engagement in general would be a good thing, that's really all there is to it.

That being said, things I'm excited for:

New producer (yes Rob Evans knows them, and yes his only credit is That Girl is You...but I like something that's at least somewhat of a change)
Dave's headspace for writing
Carter being brought in what seems to be earlier than normal
The pandemic maybe making the band miss their band lives, helps the motivation and excitement for creating stuff together

Things I don't like:
Jeff not seeming like he's an integral part of the song creation process whether that's arrangements or creative thinking
I’ll try to make an argument here. See this constantly on this site and it seems a lot of people on here should have jobs in the music business. Don’t get new album info when you think you’re obligated to have it fast enough and it’s the bands outdated fault

Who is everyone comparing this band to when it comes to new music and engaging fans being so outdated? It seems just like such a pissy entitlement.

Kings of Leon took 5 years to come out with a new album there was virtually no info on it until recently

Mumford and sons came out with an album the same year as DMBs last album- anyone have any new info on when their new album is coming out? Love to hear it

DMB basically gave us vintage concerts for free on YouTube last year in a time when no one could do anything which includes the band. Dave played countless of virtual concerts and debuted new songs.

Not entitled to any info on the album if it’s not ready 3 years after their last one and half of those years were during a global health pandemic.

I’m sure someone’s going to try and compare Taylor Swift’s historic two albums (which literally no one else did) or someone will compare Phish because everyone here always has to compare phish.

But good lord give it some time the new info will eventually come
kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #1202
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Forgot to mention John Mayer on my list above- another mainstream artist with no new album in 4 years - he must be so outdated
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #1203
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    I’ll try to make an argument here. See this constantly on this site and it seems a lot of people on here should have jobs in the music business. Don’t get new album info when you think you’re obligated to have it fast enough and it’s the bands outdated fault

Who is everyone comparing this band to when it comes to new music and engaging fans being so outdated? It seems just like such a pissy entitlement.

Kings of Leon took 5 years to come out with a new album there was virtually no info on it until recently

Mumford and sons came out with an album the same year as DMBs last album- anyone have any new info on when their new album is coming out? Love to hear it

DMB basically gave us vintage concerts for free on YouTube last year in a time when no one could do anything which includes the band. Dave played countless of virtual concerts and debuted new songs.

Not entitled to any info on the album if it’s not ready 3 years after their last one and half of those years were during a global health pandemic.

I’m sure someone’s going to try and compare Taylor Swift’s historic two albums (which literally no one else did) or someone will compare Phish because everyone here always has to compare phish.

Quote:
    Forgot to mention John Mayer on my list above- another mainstream artist with no new album in 4 years - he must be so outdated
    There's plenty of examples of bands/artists engaging with fans far more than DMB (or really, Dave) does. And plenty of artists who cater more to the what the fans base wants/enjoys.

I do agree that we don't necessarily deserve new album news, and I think that is an area where DMB is not unalike many artists, especially nowadays, where most information relating to albums is kept secret (and sometimes even the fact that a new album is coming is kept secret).

The drive ins were cool, but could have been so so much better...they literally took albums that they've already released, and added video to them. They were enjoyable, yes, but let's not act as if this was some unprecedented feat. The underlying philanthropic purpose was achieved though, which is great (although I'll take the position that they could have increased donations with better picked shows).

By far the coolest thing they did was the Dave and Carter session, but even that has some sourness to it with them making it part of the WH package (and not even giving it with the option of the video that we initially saw lol).
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #1204
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

It's not entitled when Dave himself was talking about the album out in the open for months, and even the bass player on social media. And then radio silence for 3 months. Also, it's the bands 30th anniversary and they haven't even acknowledged it yet to my knowledge. Why does it have to be some top secret CIA covert ops information? Let the fans know officially that the band has an album coming out this year and who produced it. That's not asking much
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #1205
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm completely satisfied with what we've gotten from DMB during the pandemic, far more than anything that the other music groups I'm a fan of have done, exception being Amos Lee. As a Bon Iver fan it's been disappointing.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #1206
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I'm completely satisfied with what we've gotten from DMB during the pandemic, far more than anything that the other music groups I'm a fan of have done, exception being Amos Lee. As a Bon Iver fan it's been disappointing.
    Not if you're also a Swiftie!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #1207
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yea Dave/the DMB machine has done a good (hesitate on great ONLY bc of what Phish/Trey did) throughout the last year. Some things could have been better I guess, but that’s all mostly pipedream stuff that < 1% of bands out there are doing.

The Dave and Carter thing, Dave’s Sirius request sets plus the Drive-Ins were, for the most part, fantastic.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #1208
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Not if you're also a Swiftie!

Ha, Exile was solid but I wasn't as into the other song. I guess there was one track released and a few things for voting but for a band at the level they've gotten to it's like they don't exist. Not one performance for fans outside of politics. Amos Lee does a live IG show with tons of fan interaction weekly

The music video that Phish did with walking through an emptied out NYC during the pandemic was impressive
    Old 03-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #1209
    dmbongreyst

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

To use DMB in comparison to these other acts only using the release date of their last studio album doesn’t give the full picture. In the last 23 years the band has released 6 albums. Coming in at just under one release every four years doesn’t seem bad at all. But the root of the angst and frustration of many fans is the multiple failed sessions and countless better songs that have been shelved. 23 years of knowing what could have been released in comparison to what actually was is what frustrates me. That’s not entitlement. I can’t control what they do. But I can control what I buy from them.
    Old 03-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #1210
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Here's the thing though... bands are putting out new music now or very soon BECAUSE of the pandemic. It gave them time off the road so a lot went into the studio. Just one artist I follow, John Petrucci... released a solo album, will release another album this month with a side project (LTE) and have a new Dream Theater record in September. Seems like DMB spent some time in the studio also and it was months ago... to have no info at this point makes it seem like it's just going to be another shelving.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #1211
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I understand it may have seemed that way, but I wasn't making my comment around some sort of weird "entitlement" to new info. I'm fine, trust me. As I said above, I don't need this info, I want it, like many others, because we enjoy the band. I don't want it to an unhealthy degree. In this case, multiple band members have said an album is done, it's odd to not follow up on that with your fanbase, that's all.

As far as strategy, and execution of that strategy, it's my profession so I have a pretty good base to go off of. It's not about time between albums, Cscott summed it up well below.

They don't do a good job with their engagement avenues with fans. The fan club is pretty outdated, and their content marketing strategy is non existent while being in the perfect position to have an incredible one. This is reflected on pretty middling social media.

That's not to say they they haven't done some really cool things, they have. Dave and Carter set (the idea), the summer tour warmup series that started in 2013 and I think Dave was nice and active during the pandemic.

But yeah, if multiple members of the band have literally confirmed an album is complete, that gets people excited, leaning into that excitement is just sound strategy and sound tactical planning.

They did a more contemporary job preparing for the Big Whiskey and AFTW the world release than Come Tomorrow or now, and that was 11 and 9 years ago.

Again, not a big deal for me personally, but I get it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    There's plenty of examples of bands/artists engaging with fans far more than DMB (or really, Dave) does. And plenty of artists who cater more to the what the fans base wants/enjoys.

I do agree that we don't necessarily deserve new album news, and I think that is an area where DMB is not unalike many artists, especially nowadays, where most information relating to albums is kept secret (and sometimes even the fact that a new album is coming is kept secret).

The drive ins were cool, but could have been so so much better...they literally took albums that they've already released, and added video to them. They were enjoyable, yes, but let's not act as if this was some unprecedented feat. The underlying philanthropic purpose was achieved though, which is great (although I'll take the position that they could have increased donations with better picked shows).

By far the coolest thing they did was the Dave and Carter session, but even that has some sourness to it with them making it part of the WH package (and not even giving it with the option of the video that we initially saw lol).
    This is more where I'm coming from. Quality of execution.
    Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #1212
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Trey just alluded to some possible tour news or something on a recent interview. He was very excited to share it but knew he couldn't let the cat out of the bag just yet. This gives me hope for live DMB shows.

“I can’t say specifics, but I’ve heard specifics,” Anastasio teased. “I have a secret.” He declined the host’s offer to “break some more news here” but went on to explain the band is “following the COVID rules to the letter” and “waiting until that opportunity arises with the vaccine and everything, I hope that by the …” At that point, Trey cut himself off from sharing a specific timeframe Phish will hit the road.

https://www.jambase.com/article/trey...ck-pretty-soon
    Old 03-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #1213
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    I understand it may have seemed that way, but I wasn't making my comment around some sort of weird "entitlement" to new info. I'm fine, trust me. As I said above, I don't need this info, I want it, like many others, because we enjoy the band. I don't want it to an unhealthy degree. In this case, multiple band members have said an album is done, it's odd to not follow up on that with your fanbase, that's all.

As far as strategy, and execution of that strategy, it's my profession so I have a pretty good base to go off of. It's not about time between albums, Cscott summed it up well below.

They don't do a good job with their engagement avenues with fans. The fan club is pretty outdated, and their content marketing strategy is non existent while being in the perfect position to have an incredible one. This is reflected on pretty middling social media.

That's not to say they they haven't done some really cool things, they have. Dave and Carter set (the idea), the summer tour warmup series that started in 2013 and I think Dave was nice and active during the pandemic.

But yeah, if multiple members of the band have literally confirmed an album is complete, that gets people excited, leaning into that excitement is just sound strategy and sound tactical planning.

They did a more contemporary job preparing for the Big Whiskey and AFTW the world release than Come Tomorrow or now, and that was 11 and 9 years ago.

Again, not a big deal for me personally, but I get it.

This is more where I'm coming from. Quality of execution.
    Unfortunately, this is pretty much the standard issue. Just to give some examples:

-I think at one point they were going to show Listener Supported during the Drive Ins which had been uploaded to the band's youtube account already.
    -No BTCS remaster/rerelease and no comments on it (I don't think there's a single thing this community wants more than that).
    -I'm fairly certain that some of the better Drive In shows came after some people with connections gave some input (AC Caravan for one). Almost like they had no idea people would want to see that show (which was filmed in high definition and is one of the bands biggest and most successful shows over the past 10-11 years).
    -Their social media is just absolutely awful. I know that whoever runs it (my recollection is Rodrigo), is obviously constrained by what he posts, so it's not his fault, but they really post nothing more than a picture and generic caption.

I can go on and on...I mean, what's the deal with gifting WH members a gift you already gave us, lol (Dave and Carter sessions)? What is the explanation for that? You don't want to pay for mastering/engineering another show? Shit, give me an unreleased unmastered show from 2008 and earlier. It just makes absolutely no sense.

What I'm not sure about though, is whether Dave is constraining these things or if management is just completely out of touch. I would think the latter but I know Dave does step in on certain things.

Aside from changing some of the Drive In shows, the last time I saw a clear cut actual change after fan feedback complaints, is the response to the complaints after the Nashville show in 2019 (see the next show). That was not a coincidence.

Nashville: https://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowS...160&where=2019
    Next show: https://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowS...160&where=2019

Last edited by Cscottrun; 03-05-2021 at 08:07 AM.
    Old 03-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #1214
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Thinking back to it now and looking back at it, that Nashville set is just absolutely awful. On ants, we complain a lot about sets (not all of us - I know), and I think it's fair to consider some of us (for sure including myself), more likely to complain than members of DMB facebook groups. Maybe that's because we have higher expectations or are more into the band, who knows really, but after that Nashville show, I have never seen the fanbase so collectively aligned about how shitty that set was. Things were amplified because it was Nashville, and even those that are a bit more casual, did expect something special, and it was just a stinker of a set.
    Old 03-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #1215
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thinking back to it now and looking back at it, that Nashville set is just absolutely awful. On ants, we complain a lot about sets (not all of us - I know), and I think it's fair to consider some of us (for sure including myself), more likely to complain than members of DMB facebook groups. Maybe that's because we have higher expectations or are more into the band, who knows really, but after that Nashville show, I have never seen the fanbase so collectively aligned about how shitty that set was. Things were amplified because it was Nashville, and even those that are a bit more casual, did expect something special, and it was just a stinker of a set.
    Yep, I was there and it was trash. Fun city though.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #1216
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree 100%. I was at the Nashville show. I remember people complaining after Pelham which I was also at but I chalked that up to, "hey, they can have great performances with a standard set" and I still had a blast at Pelham. So I was stoked for Nashville. Remember at that point in the tour they hadn't really TD'd any rarer songs which is very unlike them at the start of ANY American tour no matter the year.

After that show, the social media for DMB, all the band members, Ants itself, everything was just set afire because of that setlist lol. I remember Jeff and Rashawn's socials were just slam packed of comments about the set. Jeff even replied to some folks I think to the effect of, "I don't write the setlist." You are right, it was amplified because it was a sold out show in Nashville, a city they haven't played in a decade, and everyone was very excited for the show. It was a pretty hyped up show in the southeast, at minimum.

We saw Future Man walking in to the show and I thought there would for sure be a guest spot from someone too. Great Nancies>Warehouse and the crowd was loud as *hell* at that show but man people blew the band up after that one. I thought the setlist writing was a little lazy for that run indeed.

I left during Some Devil because that was the only 2019 show I didn't record that I went to and I was like, "Man they'll hit the next C/D market city with some jams I bet." The very next show you get BEF>Bartender had never seen it, Stone, etc.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #1217
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Unfortunately, this is pretty much the standard issue. Just to give some examples:

-I think at one point they were going to show Listener Supported during the Drive Ins which had been uploaded to the band's youtube account already.
    -No BTCS remaster/rerelease and no comments on it (I don't think there's a single thing this community wants more than that).
    -I'm fairly certain that some of the better Drive In shows came after some people with connections gave some input (AC Caravan for one). Almost like they had no idea people would want to see that show (which was filmed in high definition and is one of the bands biggest and most successful shows over the past 10-11 years).
    -Their social media is just absolutely awful. I know that whoever runs it (my recollection is Rodrigo), is obviously constrained by what he posts, so it's not his fault, but they really post nothing more than a picture and generic caption.

I can go on and on...I mean, what's the deal with gifting WH members a gift you already gave us, lol (Dave and Carter sessions)? What is the explanation for that? You don't want to pay for mastering/engineering another show? Shit, give me an unreleased unmastered show from 2008 and earlier. It just makes absolutely no sense.

What I'm not sure about though, is whether Dave is constraining these things or if management is just completely out of touch. I would think the latter but I know Dave does step in on certain things.

Aside from changing some of the Drive In shows, the last time I saw a clear cut actual change after fan feedback complaints, is the response to the complaints after the Nashville show in 2019 (see the next show). That was not a coincidence.

Nashville: https://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowS...160&where=2019
    Next show: https://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowS...160&where=2019
    I guess I don't see that Nashville shows as being THAT bad.. It was a pretty standard set for the band as of late. It's not special, but it's not a turd unless the music was uninspired.. Just a lot of short to the point songs with no real jams...

I guess I've just removed my "epic" setlist expectations and just happy I can see them... I don't think Dave is consciously writing bad setlists... I think he pulls it out stream of consciuos style, much like his writing... And then will make a change or 2 based on what might have been played or not played there recently. Usually a song or two. But if he hasn't been there in a long time, he's 100% going to give that standard set for any given tour... It's the same with a festival set or a show that's broadcast out... He thinks the casual listener just wants to hear the hits and disregards the idea that most of the bands fans are long time listeners at this point... I don't see people turning on to DMB in 2021 right? Like check out this 30 year old band for the first time.. They are not the Grateful Dead in that regard.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #1218
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Aside from a three song run of Can't Stop, Corn Bread, and You & Me which a lot of casual fans like I don't see how the Nashville set is the worst thing ever in history.

Too Much
    DDTW
    LITHOG
    Grey St.
    YMDT
    WWYS
    Nancies - Warehouse
    Space Between
    Rapunzel
    Some Devil
    Ants
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #1219
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    Trey just alluded to some possible tour news or something on a recent interview. He was very excited to share it but knew he couldn't let the cat out of the bag just yet. This gives me hope for live DMB shows.

“I can’t say specifics, but I’ve heard specifics,” Anastasio teased. “I have a secret.” He declined the host’s offer to “break some more news here” but went on to explain the band is “following the COVID rules to the letter” and “waiting until that opportunity arises with the vaccine and everything, I hope that by the …” At that point, Trey cut himself off from sharing a specific timeframe Phish will hit the road.

https://www.jambase.com/article/trey...ck-pretty-soon
    There's this... Which could mean anything from virtual shows to super limited capacity.. I know Red Rocks is opening up for 2500 this spring... Maybe Phish does a stand there for 500 a ticket or something...

On the other hand, John Mayer was interviewed this week as saying it's the last thing the band wants to do, in organizing another tour only to have to send out that message that it's cancelled again... It sounds like Dead & Co is waiting til atleast Fall if not 2022... Though he did also mention if they are given the green light they will be in. But that's going to be based on states and counties more than any particular ruling...
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #1220
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Aside from a three song run of Can't Stop, Corn Bread, and You & Me which a lot of casual fans like I don't see how the Nashville set is the worst thing ever in history.

Too Much
    DDTW
    LITHOG
    Grey St.
    YMDT
    WWYS
    Nancies - Warehouse
    Space Between
    Rapunzel
    Some Devil
    Ants
    Agreed... It's not special. it's not terrible though either. Certainly not enough to warrant 1000's of fans blowing up social media.. It's a greatest hits show.

Here's a shittier setlist from 2013.. The worst first half of a show I've ever seen. Shoreline 2013... Though the 2nd half of the show was totally different... The whole vibe changed. I don't know what happened but its like the wind blew in a different direction, set list opened up and a good time was eventually had.

Louisiana Bayou
    Belly Belly Nice
    YMDT
    Proudest Monkey
    Satellite
    Squirm
    Don't Feel the Reaper
    Crush
    Mercy

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...120&where=2013

The Song That Jane Likes » 4:02 5 10 of 10 4 of 5 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim
    11 Warehouse » 9:46 2 15 of 15 7 of 8 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim UTTAD intro
    12 Typical Situation 11:51 16 4 of 4 3 of 3 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim
    13 Why I Am 3:49 2 12 of 12 1 of 1 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim
    14 Snow Outside » 8:13 4 11 of 11 2 of 2 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim
    15 Jimi Thing 17:58 1 24 of 24 9 of 10 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim Sexy MF outro
    16 Grey Street 5:21 2 22 of 22 8 of 10 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim
    17 Drunken Soldier » 9:33 6 18 of 18 1 of 1 Boyd, Carter, Dave, Jeff, Rashawn, Stefan, Tim
    18 Two Step
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #1221
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Too Much
    DDTW
    LITHOG
    Grey St.
    YMDT
    WWYS
    Nancies - Warehouse
    Space Between
    Rapunzel
    Some Devil
    Ants
    That's because its not the worst set ever. I was just using it as another example of much better things could have been, and how it was one of the few times I saw a clear response from the band/management. There are definitely worse sets. But I do agree that if I got that set at a venue I consider special, like SPAC, I definitely would be disappointed. The totality of the circumstances (Nashville, sold out, first time in a long time in the city, the extra hype going in) - I could see why fans were let down.
    Old 03-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #1222
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Too Much
    DDTW
    LITHOG
    Grey St.
    YMDT
    WWYS
    Nancies - Warehouse
    Space Between
    Rapunzel
    Some Devil
    Ants
    Whoops. Duplicate post.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 03-05-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Old 03-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #1223
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

I was at the Nashville show as well and couldn't believe it when Des Moines IA got a great debut heavy set a few days later.

FishTender
    So Right
    Crush
    Stone
    Recently
    Typical
    Old 03-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #1224
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Too Much
    DDTW
    LITHOG
    Grey St.
    YMDT
    WWYS
    Nancies - Warehouse
    Space Between
    Rapunzel
    Some Devil
    Ants
    Where you there? I was. It ranks as the 44th best show I've been to out of 44. It was just so bland and uninspired and blah. It was the embodiment of everything ants bitch about.

Of course there were a lot of great songs. Its tough not to get a lot with the impressive catalog dmb has. There was nothing special or memorable the whole night. Just as standard as a show can be.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #1225
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Where you there? I was. It ranks as the 44th best show I've been to out of 44. It was just so bland and uninspired and blah. It was the embodiment of everything ants bitch about.

Of course there were a lot of great songs. Its tough not to get a lot with the impressive catalog dmb has. There was nothing special or memorable the whole night. Just as standard as a show can be.

See, top 50!
    Old 03-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #1226
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See, top 50!
    Thats one way to look at it.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #1227
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

So no insider new album info, dang. Chad gave me hope that something may come out sometime soon with his positive sounding post.
    Old 03-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #1228
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

It's the nature of being a DMB fan these days. They get your hopes up, then you hear absolutely nothing for months or even years. But they do post pictures of the band on instagram.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #1229
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    It's the nature of being a DMB fan these days. They get your hopes up, then you hear absolutely nothing for months or even years. But they do post pictures of the band on instagram.
    I think a lot of people's sentiments about never getting any new info would change if the band just improved its social media presence and used that as more of a strategic tool for fan engagement. I get the sense that the band hired Rodrigo to be the photographer and social media guy many years ago, and while he's a great photographer, it seems like social is an afterthought and not something he or the band really seek to use in any creative way.

The posts are almost identical across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and the feeds are generally really impersonal. Like this post for example should say, "What's your favorite memory of seeing us at that legendary spot?

It seems like they've started to share more archival stuff like the handwritten SPAC setlist or a TBT pic from Bristow 2002, which is nice. But for every post like that, there are five recent photos with random lyrics or "Such and such live show was released on this day in 2013." Copperpot's twitter feed is a far more interesting and creative use of social media for "this day in history" type stuff.

Why not share a photo — or even better yet, a quick video — every once in a while in the moment as the band is walking out to take the stage? It could be shot on a cell phone and uploaded immediately. They do a great job of sharing professional photos in the days and weeks immediately after shows, but part of the fun of social media is supposed to be the organic, in-the-moment nature of it and theirs always just feels like they do the bare minimum to make it engaging.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #1230
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    I think a lot of people's sentiments about never getting any new info would change if the band just improved its social media presence and used that as more of a strategic tool for fan engagement. I get the sense that the band hired Rodrigo to be the photographer and social media guy many years ago, and while he's a great photographer, it seems like social is an afterthought and not something he or the band really seek to use in any creative way.

The posts are almost identical across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and the feeds are generally really impersonal. Like this post for example should say, "What's your favorite memory of seeing us at that legendary spot?

It seems like they've started to share more archival stuff like the handwritten SPAC setlist or a TBT pic from Bristow 2002, which is nice. But for every post like that, there are five recent photos with random lyrics or "Such and such live show was released on this day in 2013." Copperpot's twitter feed is a far more interesting and creative use of social media for "this day in history" type stuff.

Why not share a photo — or even better yet, a quick video — every once in a while in the moment as the band is walking out to take the stage? It could be shot on a cell phone and uploaded immediately. They do a great job of sharing professional photos in the days and weeks immediately after shows, but part of the fun of social media is supposed to be the organic, in-the-moment nature of it and theirs always just feels like they do the bare minimum to make it engaging.
    I agree with all of this except I don't think Rodrigo is really making decisions. He's a big, long time fan, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the social media would be better if he was free to post whatever he wanted.

To your last point, that would be awesome. Some venues do this (SPAC in particular I know does it). They have whoever is in control of their social media walk around throughout the show, go live, etc. They also post backstage photos on show days like these:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz1R9Nxgvs2/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz3xhNsgINJ/