Is D&T worth it anymore? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 AM   #91
chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Is D&T worth it anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
seanbrutus, I have the same problem w/ DMB. I’m there to watch and hear a band I love play songs that I love. I hate having to dodge folks that are obviously too drunk and/or stoned to really be watching and comprehending, let alone enjoying, the show.

This has definitely become an issue w/ D&T too. In Dublin we were right behind a couple of guys that were from North America, be it the U.S. or Canada and they talked a ton and one guy basically only stopped to sing the songs he liked. The lawn on N2 @SPAC in 2017 was full of drunk college kids that were more there to see and be seen.

All this said, I don’t mean to shit on how folks have fun, but it’s rough when that gets in the way of my enjoyment of the show. I feel like they need to play louder to drown out the audience (myself included) in general, but especially @ D&T shows. The only place we’ve seen them where people seem to sit back and enjoy the show has been DAR Constitution Hall (Jane Goodall benefit and Standing w/ Standing Rock shows). Music is like my religion, so I can be a bit of a party pooper I guess, but I never confront anyone...I just complain to my wife, and she gets me to focus on why we’re there...
Nobody has ever been bothered at a show by someone who was too stoned. Drunk? Yes, every dmb/related show is absoutely full of drunk chompers.
chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #92
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    The only thing that I think lacks with Tim’s playing is he use of effects. He used to use a ton of cool effects on acoustic in the 90s and now he uses a lot less it seems. The other problem is Dave’s guitar. I’m not sure what he used in 1997 but I know In 1999-2007 he used martins. Martin’s are just so much better then Rockbridge as a whole really. Especially in the acoustic setting. That’s just based on the sound that i hear on tapes and official releases. I haven’t played either brand so I have no clue how it really feels to play either one. Anyway, back then Dave also mic’d up and had his guitar pretty still the whole time. Not sure if they mic’d up Dave’s guitar at this show. I know I saw it recently maybe in the Mexico show, but he doesn’t keep it as still while playing these days.

Anyway, those are just a few complaints. I still feel as if D+T is a heck of lot closer to the same sound then anything the band as a whole since 2008. It’s kinda hard to have the same sound when a key member dies and another member completely drops the ball with his instrument. With that said in 2018, I truly enjoyed the band sound for like the first time in years.

Agreed. To be honest, I think Dave's guitar sound has suffered tremendously with the Rockbridge
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #93
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Even through it all, I still prefer DMB over D&T, 100%. I found ‘18 Charlottesville N1 and LT46 to be fun and enjoyable.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #94
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    Nobody has ever been bothered at a show by someone who was too stoned. Drunk? Yes, every dmb/related show is absoutely full of drunk chompers.
    In 1996 it wouldn't and didn't bother me, but as an adult hearing folks around me (mostly other adults) that keep yelling at each other "I'm so baked right now!" "Yeah, I completely wasted!" etc. It's a fucking bother...and then they start singing so out of key for a few lines and then go back to yelling about how high they are. It's not a competition and no one cares, but they gotta fucking share. Doesn't happen at every show, but it's happened somewhat regularly over my years of going to shows, and I'm talking about just DMB shows.

Again, I'm there for the music and prefer to enjoy it as lucidly as possible. Not begrudging how other people like their concert experience, but I'm never there for the "party". I can do that at home, for a lot less, with a clean and readily accessible bathroom, and all of my comfortable amenities.

Can't wait to kick off our concerts this year with the Avetts next month...

Last edited by grilldanmo; 04-24-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #95
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    In 1996 it wouldn't and didn't bother me, but as an adult hearing folks around me (mostly other adults) that keep yelling at each other "I'm so baked right now!" "Yeah, I completely wasted!" etc. It's a fucking bother...and then they start singing so out of key for a few lines and then go back to yelling about how high they are. It's not a competition and no one cares, but they gotta fucking share. Doesn't happen at every show, but it's happened somewhat regularly over my years of going to shows, and I'm talking about just DMB shows.

Again, I'm there for the music and prefer to enjoy it as lucidly as possible. Not begrudging how other people like their concert experience, but I'm never there for the "party". I can do that at home, for a lot less, with a clean and readily accessible bathroom, and all of my comfortable amenities.

Can't wait to kick off our concerts this year with the Avetts next month...
    who the fuck says this? tv shows?

Ive been to hundreds of concerts and never heard anything like this at a show.

And for that to get to a point of annoyance honestly sounds like youre making it up. The only time ive ever heard a quip like that is like some guy sitting on a couch at home. If someone was yelling this at a show theyre also drunk or are bro-douches looking for attention.

Youre not finding people who are only smoking yelling about how high they are over and over lol cmon. People who are drunk dont even yell stuff like that repeatedly.

Point being, its normally never the substance, its the person. So avoid the lawn or cheap seats.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 04-24-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #96
    Unedited

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davem#36 View Post
    Like her first concert ever?
    Should have clarified... first show involving Dave Matthews.
    Old 04-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #97
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

D&T is worth every penny. DMB as well, for me. The day they aren’t 100% worth it, I’ll probably just not go to shows anymore. Move on to a different thing to do.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #98
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post

And for that to get to a point of annoyance honestly sounds like youre making it up. The only time ive ever heard a quip like that is like some guy sitting on a couch at home. If someone was yelling this at a show theyre also drunk or are bro-douches looking for attention.

Youre not finding people who are only smoking yelling about how high they are over and over lol cmon. People who are drunk dont even yell stuff like that repeatedly.

Point being, its normally never the substance, its the person. So avoid the lawn or cheap seats.
    yeah, I making it up...you got me...

cheers
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #99
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

People absolutely say stuff like that at shows. Those people aren't just limited to the lawn or "cheap seats" as I have heard some quite dumb and drunk comments closer to the stage or around those VIP box areas where they're spending the most to be at the show. Also, until some of these $36 uppers lately, there haven't really been any "cheap seats", thats been part of the decline in attendance conversation for several years.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #100
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Whoever posted the new recording of the show, thank you. My respect for the performance has grown tenfold. The audience was still terrible, but I'm glad the show was so good. To answer my own question, D&T is worth it, if you are up close.
    Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #101
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I’m pretty sure I have heard this at shows before. I know I have heard this at bars in college towns.
    Old 05-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #102
    nikkidmb

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Not going unless the band isn't touring a la 2017, trying to put a DMB crowd in a D&T environment is a disaster.
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote