How has CT aged for y’all? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 12-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #31
monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: How has CT aged for y’all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkClouds View Post
Agreed! AFTW has a worse flow to it IMO.. I mean... Mercy, Gaucho, Sweet, The Riff, Belly Full, If Only run in the middle is real bad.. Those songs on their own are milquetoast but in flow like that... complete garbage... And I've never been able to get over the sound of the record.. It's a demo at best... Someone also super compressed it and squashed all the sonic texture out of it.. if you listen to the original Mercy and Gaucho singles before the album ever came out.. they are very open.. you can hear instrumental separation.. Now it's like smooshed into this little tiny compressed sound in the middle of your speakers... ughh...

I like CT. I'll take a Here On Out, TGIY, She, IOY, Virginia in the rain run all day... I liked it when it came out and still like it. It's not the old DMB. It's not really what I expected from them after 6 years. It's a weird mix of tunes and production. But given what we know about the history of it, I think it's fine. I think the actual sound quality of it is amazing, so I'm not sure what people are talking about when they think it sounds bad. But to each their own. Can't Stop sounds amazing on my new car upgraded sound system...

I am disappointed that they have really let it go off the setlists in terms of not playing what I consider are the best songs like Virginia in the Rain, Black and Bluebirds... quite strange.. I love Samurai Cop on the album, but I hate it live so that is fine to leave on the shelf. They never quite figured out how to play it after 2016... It's out of Dave's range with the band, he pushes to hard to make it an anthem, and his guitar always sound like shit on it.. It's ALWAYS out of tune and it shouldn't be crunchy. He should play acoustic on it and let Tim do the electric parts..

It's certainly a frankenstein album, but I think it's better than AFTW and Stand Up... Neither of which have ever stood the test of time for me..
Sweet and The Riff were were amazing to get back especially the jam at the end of Sweet which was the best revampled song of the tour.

In 2021 The Riff, Broken Things, and Sweet were better than any of the come tomorrow songs they played like She, That Girl is You, Do You Remember, and acoustic Virgninia in the rain (full band is better) and Again and Again.

The best of AFTW live is better than the best of Come Tomorrow Live.
monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #32
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    I would say can't stop fell under this same curse. It wasn't a favorite of mine pre come tomorrow but the come tomorrow version is worse than the slower unreleased road tested versions.
    Yeah, I kinda enjoyed the slower bluesier Can't Stop. The lyrics were still bad but if you got a fun guest it made for a really fun jam session. I hate the drum beat they finally settled on it's such a disservice. Plus it kinda toned down Stefan's bass a bunch and turned it into more of a sputtering mess.
    Old 12-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #33
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Sweet and The Riff were were amazing to get back especially the jam at the end of Sweet which was the best revampled song of the tour.

In 2021 The Riff, Broken Things, and Sweet were better than any of the come tomorrow songs they played like She, That Girl is You, Do You Remember, and acoustic Virgninia in the rain (full band is better) and Again and Again.

The best of AFTW live is better than the best of Come Tomorrow Live.
    Yeah, the problem with Come Tomorrow is that most of those songs don't really have a decent place to fit into the setlist and they don't add much of anything to a show. AFTW had a similar problem, but that's why most of those are on the shelf. Wherever a Come Tomorrow song shows up, there's something else in the catalog that can do what it does better, OR it brings the show to a halt. Virginia in the Rain is great, I love it, but when I saw it live I was bored and it kinda dragged the show to a stop. The Riff is another one that I like to listen to but when it debuted I was bored until the guitar solo. Its like the newer songs take way too long to get interesting.
    Old 12-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #34
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Like, from a live show perspective, they can accomplish what they're aiming for with the CT songs with something that the crowd responds to more:

Samurai Cop - just play Funny instead
    Can't Stop - play Why I Am or Seven or Save Me instead
    Here On Out - play any Dave solo song instead
    That Girl is You - play Granny instead
    She - play Kit Kat Jam or So Right instead
    Idea of You - I enjoy it, but they could hit the same effect with Crash or You & Me
    Virginia in the Rain - unless its a solo E1, it draaaaaags. They could play #41 or LITHOG or LLD or PM or....
    Again & Again - play Captain instead
    Black & Bluebird - never played anymore anyway, but Dave would probably play So Damn Lucky instead
    Come On Come On - also never played anymore, but they could play Break Free or Typical or Crush instead
    Do You Remember - play Spaceman, or Bismarck, or Beach Ball, or Write a Song, or Nancies, or OSW
    Come Tomorrow - Old Dirt Hill, LIOG, Satellite, You Never Know
    Old 12-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #35
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

And as far as AFTW, that album is basically Big Whiskey but with Lillywhite. It's like they tried to copy that album with just enough subtle changes that no one would recognize.

Broken Things - Funny
    Belly Belly - Shake Me
    Mercy - LITHOG
    Gaucho - Squirm
    Sweet - Dive In
    The Riff - Time Bomb
    Belly Full - Baby Blue
    If Only - You & Me
    Rooftop - Seven
    Snow Outside - Alligator Pie
    Drunken Soldier - this was at least it's own kind of thing
    Old 12-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #36
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Yeah, the problem with Come Tomorrow is that most of those songs don't really have a decent place to fit into the setlist and they don't add much of anything to a show. AFTW had a similar problem, but that's why most of those are on the shelf. Wherever a Come Tomorrow song shows up, there's something else in the catalog that can do what it does better, OR it brings the show to a halt. Virginia in the Rain is great, I love it, but when I saw it live I was bored and it kinda dragged the show to a stop. The Riff is another one that I like to listen to but when it debuted I was bored until the guitar solo. Its like the newer songs take way too long to get interesting.
    Yeah i agree with the overall issue with many AFTW and Come Tomorrow songs not translating well into the setlists. In many ways come tomorrow being worse fitting into the setlist made me appreciate AFTW live more.

Going to 10 shows (counting farm aid) this year which was the most ever in a year I really loved the newer songs and thought most of them seem to be great in a setlist compared to the last 2 albums. Here's to hoping some of these songs don't get bismarked and go missing next year when the albums is all but sure to drop per sources.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #37
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

No, it sucks.

Virginia, and idea of you are only redeeming qualities.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #38
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I love how when CT is brought up people mention AFTW.

WTF does AFTW have to do with this topic?
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #39
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I don't listen to their albums after the first week or two but there's more music that I enjoy on CT than the other albums since ED / BS
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #40
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

The good thing about the new album is the songs seem to fit more naturally in a set and have potential to expand. WATM could be an opener or show up anywhere in the set, OATB is a good mindset cool down or an E1, MME’s could show up anywhere and even be a closer or encore closer. I don’t think anything on Come Tomorrow has that flexibility. There’s no closers or openers on that album, just things that show up someplace and add nothing much.
    Old 12-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #41
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    I love how when CT is brought up people mention AFTW.

WTF does AFTW have to do with this topic?
    They're the last two albums DMB has made. It's fair to compare them. AFTW felt more like an album. CT was basically collage of songs new and old with no cohesiveness. I don't find myself going back to either them as whole pieces of work.

Snow Outside, Drunken Solider, Broken Things, VITR, When I'm Weary, Cop, and even CoCo are the only studio versions I ever go back and listen to. If Only when my Ambien runs out.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.

Last edited by YankeesDMB41; 12-23-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #42
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Studio versions of Snow Outside (farmer dude in New Hampshire) and Virginia in the Rain (slightly aloof girl) are some gourmet goodies to me. Love those two chonkers.

It's as if #34 (quiet milf) and Dreams of Our Fathers (little-man syndrome bro) had a couple of nifty kids.
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #43
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    And as far as AFTW, that album is basically Big Whiskey but with Lillywhite. It's like they tried to copy that album with just enough subtle changes that no one would recognize.

Broken Things - Funny
    Belly Belly - Shake Me
    Mercy - LITHOG
    Gaucho - Squirm
    Sweet - Dive In
    The Riff - Time Bomb
    Belly Full - Baby Blue
    If Only - You & Me
    Rooftop - Seven
    Snow Outside - Alligator Pie
    Drunken Soldier - this was at least it's own kind of thing
    The bold comparisons are highly questionable.

The bold and underlined comparison is an incoherent response that is not close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. You are awarded no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Old 12-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #44
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Merry Christmas, bitches.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Old 05-24-2023, 06:11 PM   #45
    MarvinBerry

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I put it ahead of stand up, big whiskey and probably aftw. The songs are all pretty unique and produced well. It does have kind of a weird flow but I like that. It feels eclectic where bw feels like a straight up rock album and stand up is like some dmb/techno idea. The songs are probably better overall than those on aftw. I rank it here (not sure about WATM yet)

btcs
    c
    uttad
    bs

ed
    ct
    aftw
    bw
    su
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2023, 09:12 PM   #46
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

like milk
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2023, 10:22 PM   #47
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Terribly
    Old 05-24-2023, 10:49 PM   #48
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I did not like most of the production on CT at the time in 2018. Other than She, which is a song that I've grown to like after playing the album recently (I only listened as far as Black and Blue Bird), my opinion hasn't changed. I haven't listened to Come Tomorrow the song since 2018. So I guess CT has aged fairer for me than I'd have thought. I like the songs I liked, and I like one more song than I did in 2018.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2023, 06:40 AM   #49
    firedancerchick

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Terribly

but honestly, kinda this? i never listen to it. i listened to it a lot when it came out and i think i liked it or i was trying to. but now, i can't remember the last time i've listened to it straight through or even the last time i put on a song from it (exception of here on out which was my wedding song)

i don't mind hearing samurai cop, she, virginia or black and blue live though.
    firedancerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2023, 11:24 AM   #50
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I can't remember the last time I listened to CT so not very well.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #51
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

this is tough for me because I absolutely adore a few of the songs and return to them regularly:

samurai cop
    again and again
    do you remember
    she

and I think the rest is pretty forgetful

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2023, 02:31 PM   #52
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

It's aged well for me, but I liked it when it came out.

I fell off the band from about 2012 until 2018, and so missed most of Boyd's decline. The news of what happened sort of pulled me back into thinking about the band, and I started listening to live shows again. I went to ATL in 2018 when they debuted TGIY, and I honestly really liked it. Got the album in full, and I really enjoyed it as well. I remember tearing up listening to IOY, thinking it would be the last time I'd get to hear the OG 5 on a track together.

Is it their best? No. But there's a lot to love for me, and I think at least a little to love no matter when you joined the ride. It's a good album. Not great, but good. I still put it on from time to time, like I do with all other DMB. It all just depends on the mood I find myself in that day.
    Old 05-26-2023, 12:09 PM   #53
    martindcx1e
    Wives and Witches

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Not great, but I've mostly blocked it out.

I personally don't even consider this a studio album. It's essentially a messy, disjointed (and LAZY) compilation. Related but unrelated: The IOY live intro is so bad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Musicology200 View Post
    My sunburst epiphone with the loose sound jack named Dirty Vicky sounds better than the Taylors being juiced over in this thread.
    martindcx1e is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2023, 04:26 PM   #54
    watsonbriant
    Completionist

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

As a studio album, I feel like it’s aged okay I guess… live versions have aged worse.

Samurai Cop - one of my favorite studio tracks of the band, loved the 2016 live versions, but everything from 2018 to now is slowed down too much

Can’t Stop - weird take incoming, I hated thing song prior to the version that was released on CT and played live since, I really really enjoy the song both studio and live, and would take it at any show, free the beast!

Here on Out - “tiny little song”, forgettable

TGIY - studio version blows, live version slaps as long as it doesn’t open a show

She - overrated track, always bored me no matter if it’s studio or live

Idea of You - great studio track even with the “YouTube intro”, what sucks is the band just doesn’t sound like this live anymore so there isn’t that 2006 power behind it anymore

VITR - insanely good studio track, but of a snoozer live but would take it in place of plenty of other songs

Again and Again - one of my favorite studio tracks from this album, the “Bob Law” versions from 2016 will always be the best, haven’t quite nailed it live since then

bkdkdkdd - basically the 2018 version of a BTCS commercial, I saw Be Yourself debut in 2015 and always really liked the tune, I wish it would come back in its full form

Bluebird - 2015 was a great live year for it, why the hell did they chop Jeff’s nuts off with the studio version?

COCO - 2nd worst song on this album, can’t stand the “dreamy”-ness of the studio version, does nothing for me live

DYR - studio version isn’t great (the woos are horrific), but I always enjoy it live, just not when it opens a show

Come tomorrow - worst song on the album and it’s not close, immediate bathroom song

When I’m Weary - could’ve been even better if it had another verse and chorus, would be a nice E1 to change things up
    Old 05-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #55
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

i think the only album cuts I listened from this album were samuari cop, cant stop, and IOY. have had absolutely no desire to listen to this turd from what ive listened to in the live setting. SPAC '18 was terrible
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #56
    dreamstree41

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

If you were to chop the weird intro off IOY, IOY through COCO is a slick EP. But if I look at the whole record, I guess the answer is not great.
    Old 05-31-2023, 05:13 AM   #57
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Just is too choppy for me to get through the whole album without skipping. I do think VITR is the best studio track they did since YNK in 2002 however. There are some good tunes but too many throw aways for this to have last power for me personally.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote