Why no new jams? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
ryanflick3

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Why no new jams?

I think part of the problem with the seemingly stale setlists, is that all the songs are being played the same night after night. I was looking at song times on DMB Almanac and most songs are clocking in around 6 minutes or so. I'm not into jambands, and I've never considered DMB a jam band because they don't noodle endlessly with no point, but their jams had direction and seemed to change and morph over tours.

I'd say since 2010, this band has forgotten how to experiment on stage. I think it's very obvious with this acoustic set. Acoustic instruments playing old songs does not make them fresh. They don't change tempos, add parts, add harmonies etc... I was hoping the acoustic set would really allow for some experimentation and risks from the band. You can hardly tell a difference though on tapes except for Tim's playing and a laid back Carter on percussion. But even Two Step is played the same, just shorter with no jam, which is the best part of that song live.

I think Lying in the Hands of God, Snow Outside and maybe Rooftop are the only examples I can think of that new songs have been improvised on. But they all have become predictable at this point.

I think creativity is lacking. I don't think it's intentional. I don't think they are mailing it in. I think this band is in a bit of a rut, which is why they chose the 2 sets this year. But adding Sledgehammer back into the mix is really confusing considering that song was a bust in 2008. Not exactly a creative idea if you ask me. Why not learn a new cover?

I'd like to see Drunken Soldier jammed out a bit. I'd like to see Broken Things, Shotgun, Dreaming Tree, Pig, even Shake Me like A Monkey thrown into the acoustic setting and taken some risks on. If they played Jimi Thing acoustic even!!

Also, Dave is really the only one who doesn't need to change a thing during these acoustic sets. Perhaps that's part of the problem... He's not being forced to take risks so he doesn't really have to change anything. Just listen to Tim and Carter play differently.
ryanflick3 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
    moccasin
    We'll Lock You Away

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Why no new jams?

Good points OP, but not sure we needed another thread.
    Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
    raven'minaret

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I may differ from most, but I'd rather hear three 6 minute songs than an 18 minute long Jimi Thing.
    raven'minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
    ryguy637
    Ryan

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Sledgehammer isnt a bust. However, would be cool to hear something different. And I think they do play two step differently enough to be considered a tad refreshing.

Last edited by ryguy637; 07-21-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    ryguy637 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I never considered Sledgehammer to be a bust. I think the band does a great cover of it and it is smoking. Would I like to see another new jam? For sure but Sledgehammer is such a great tune and an awesome cover.
    Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
    laststopdmb

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I think I know what you mean but i disagree slightly. Crush keeps getting better everytime i hear it. It may be the best song they have been playing all summer which is why they may be playing it so much. Ymdt is also getting better though its hit or miss. Pelham and atl it was average but that jacksonville version was insane. So Right is also evolving a bit. After that, other than the acoustic set the songs have just been the same. I havent heard the stone from wpb but it clocks in at almost 14 min. I need to hear that.
    Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
    jray1823

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Because when it's good, people bitch about it. Lying in the hands of God and 21 minute #41's for examples.

It takes time to develop a jam and the DMB audience has no fucking patience

Last edited by jray1823; 07-22-2014 at 06:04 AM.
    jray1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
    KAK1154

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

OP has a good point. If you'll allow me to graft my own opinion onto it, I don't think he's necessarily talking about the length of the songs. It more about the structure.

They used to play around with different structures and song components. Remember how many times Two Step has changed over the years? And Jimi Thing? But they've remained the same for several years now, which makes them more stale.

Other than adding that breakdown in Rooftop, when is the last time a song's structure has been changed? (I'm not talking about lengthening a solo section.) Ok, so #41 has dropped the sax solo, they threw in a little slowdown in the middle of Two Step. I can't think of much else.
    KAK1154 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
    crb60

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raven'minaret View Post
    I may differ from most, but I'd rather hear three 6 minute songs than an 18 minute long Jimi Thing.
    i always say this. 20 minute jimi, two step, seek up and 41s got to be too much. those are perfect in the 10-12 min range imo.
    crb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
    jray1823

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crb60 View Post
    i always say this. 20 minute jimi, two step, seek up and 41s got to be too much. those are perfect in the 10-12 min range imo.
    This is where I think our fan base doesn't really get it a little. The 10-12 min range jimi, two steps, seek ups, and 41s, WILL always be relatively the same. They might be good everytime, but they will never be great.

Why i want the 20 minute versions is because it gives the band time to take chances. It might suck 9 out of 10 times, but 1 of those 10 times the band is gonna get on the same page and make something unique and beautiful that you won't get in any other version of that song. It is shit like that that keeps me coming to shows.
    jray1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
    laststopdmb

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jray1823 View Post
    This is where I think our fan base doesn't really get it a little. The 10-12 min range jimi, two steps, seek ups, and 41s, WILL always be relatively the same. They might be good everytime, but they will never be great.

Why i want the 20 minute versions is because it gives the band time to take chances. It might suck 9 out of 10 times, but 1 of those 10 times the band is gonna get on the same page and make something unique and beautiful that you won't get in any other version of that song. It is shit like that that keeps me coming to shows.
    I agree with you 110%. The band doesnt always click
    During these long songs all the time but when they do you know it and its really special. I can think of several examples. The Bartender from Charlotte 2012 was without a doubt the best version ive ever heard. Two Step from WPB 2013 to close out the weekend was hands down the best two step ive ever heard. Jimi Thing from vegas 2009 was so insane carter jumped from hit kit to fist bump tim. On the otherside the lithog from tampa 2012 was absolute torture on my ears & i started hating that song until wpb 2013 with carlos malta. I can keep going but i will always prefer the longer versions with the possibilities of what could happen.
    Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

My Tour Central Stats

the only song that really is fantastic the longer it goes honestly is two step. they way they were jamming the hell out of that and adding that overflow outro that actually had more of a structure and different jam in itself was awesome. listen to the version from centennial park last spring and even alpine and why they did when they accidentally hit the higher ground in camden. that needs to come back to the electric set.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramiro24 View Post
    the only song that really is fantastic the longer it goes honestly is two step. they way they were jamming the hell out of that and adding that overflow outro that actually had more of a structure and different jam in itself was awesome. listen to the version from centennial park last spring and even alpine and why they did when they accidentally hit the higher ground in camden. that needs to come back to the electric set.
    agree 100%

two step electric is great
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jray1823 View Post
    Because when it's good, people bitch about it. Lying in the hands of God and 21 minute #41's for examples.

It takes time to develop a jam and the DMB audience has no fucking patience
    No DMB song should go over 20 minutes

Those 08-10 41s were brutal. Hands of god went no where and that's why people disliked it.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    No DMB song should go over 20 minutes

Those 08-10 41s were brutal. Hands of god went no where and that's why people disliked it.
    yup agreed but seek up could be solid if it went longer. i almost feel shorted if two step goes short to be honest.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #16
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

The LITHOG from the Randall's Caravan with the reggae style jam was fantastic
    artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
    ryanflick3

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KAK1154 View Post
    OP has a good point. If you'll allow me to graft my own opinion onto it, I don't think he's necessarily talking about the length of the songs. It more about the structure.

They used to play around with different structures and song components. Remember how many times Two Step has changed over the years? And Jimi Thing? But they've remained the same for several years now, which makes them more stale.

Other than adding that breakdown in Rooftop, when is the last time a song's structure has been changed? (I'm not talking about lengthening a solo section.) Ok, so #41 has dropped the sax solo, they threw in a little slowdown in the middle of Two Step. I can't think of much else.

You get it! I don't want long pointless jams like lithog. I just want the songs to sound fresh. Like the cool jane they do with typical, recently the end of ants. Go that direction!!
    ryanflick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

so right got fresher this year. sounds like satellite did too, but id have to go back and listen to years past