Best 2-Night Venue Trips - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Best 2-Night Venue Trips

Looking to shake it up this year and go somewhere I've never been for shows, in part to see a different city.

We live in Nashville and usually go to Deer Creek (and we've done Alpine before), and last year we went to The Gorge. I don't think we can swing the Gorge again, but wanted to get people's opinions on the other usual 2-night venues so I can start planning.

We obviously want a good concerts, but are looking for other fun things in the city/area to do before/after the concert dates, and make a mini-vacation out of it.

SPAC, West Palm, Camden, New Hampshire, Denver (we use to live in Colorado but haven't been in over a decade).

Thoughts?
specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Best 2-Night Venue Trips

I can only speak for SPAC, but I and many others love it there. The town is not huge, but it has a bit of everything...food, nightlife, breweries. It is completely overrun with DMB fans the weekend of the shows. The state park itself (where the venue is) is also amazing. With that said, I think in 2 or 3 days, you'd probably run out of things to do unless you shoot up further north to Lake George or down to Albany.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
    stoga09

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

The obvious choice is SPAC.
    stoga09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I've done all the major ones outside of Camden and SPAC, we are doing Camden this year. Deer Creek is by far my favorite of the 2-Nighters I've been to.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
    TrippingCrushCT

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't been to the others on your list but SPAC is awesome.
    TrippingCrushCT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Gorge.

Failing that, SPAC.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Denver is the best city on this list. But if it's just for shows probably Spac.

2024 - Deer Creek & Gorge
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

SPAC or Denver.

If you dont have the desire to either severely overpay or constantly check for tickets in the shell, do Denver.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
    knowyourdanger

Shows Seen: 164

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Don't discount Camden. The band plays great shows there and you can/should stay in Philly, which is a fun place to visit for a weekend. Great restaurants, museums, parks, etc. Also, the city has tons of hotels, unlike at SPAC, and you won't need to rent a car - the ferry to the Camden venue is great.

With that said, if you haven't been to SPAC, you should!
    knowyourdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
    Matth2094

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

SPAC is great, but West Palm is more laid back and tends to get great shows!
    Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

you haven't seen DMB until you've partied with the dregs in Camden.
    Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
    stoga09

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matth2094 View Post
    SPAC is great, but West Palm is more laid back and tends to get great shows!
    Lay back and sweat.
    stoga09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure if it will be on the tour this year, but I had a blast doing the 2-nighter at the Greek Theater in Berkeley in 2016. A friend that lives in San Fran cajoled me into coming out for it and it was an amazing trip. The venue is incredibly cool, very small by DMB standards for summer sheds (holds only about 8,000 I think?) and is entirely GA. Was able to spend time exploring San Fran and did a trip up to Santa Rosa to go to Russian River Brewing one day as well which was great. That's a really fun area to think about if you want to make a vacation out of it and not have it be entirely around the shows.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
    JAMILL112

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Spac & spac
    Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
    Prezzy

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

WPB is great for spending the day on the beaches then shows at night. Lots of after party spots as well.
    Prezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
    DMB24Illini

Shows Seen: 298

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prezzy View Post
    WPB is great for spending the day on the beaches then shows at night. Lots of after party spots as well.

WPB is also great if you like being in 95 degrees and humidity and/or thunderstorms at all times. (I went once in 2015 and will never go back.)

Spac for venue specialness.
    Camden for great sets + cheesesteaks post-show.

297 shows, 31 states, 10 countries :)
    DMB24Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 AM   #17
    davetripping02
    Good Good Time

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Gilford,NH is really nice and small. Setlist doesn't turn to be spac or others areas but it's a great area.
    davetripping02 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 05:30 AM   #18
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

My Tour Central Stats

I've been to most of the venues and here's my take

Camden- shit hole in a shit hole hood. I call it the "prison yard" Pit is oversold and horrific experience no matter what show you attend. DMB has done some stellar sets there the last few tours.

West Palm Beach - Hot as fuck. I will give you the weather forecast right now. Partly cloudy, hot , humid, high heat index, and a 60% chance of severe storms from 4-8 PM. Parking is free and tailgate scene pretty laid back. Last two tours I was extremely disappointed in set lists.

SPAC- I've been going to SPAC since before a lot of you were born. It's in a state park and you can spend the entire day, hiking, tailgating, attending ballsfest, and typically you're going to see some of the better shows on the tour, especially with it later in the tour. The venue is one of the smallest on the tour with only 5,500 seats BUT there's a balcony there, a perspective you won't get anywhere else. The lawn? Don't bother. It's as bad as the Camden pit. Jam packed and shitty sight lines because of balcony. It was never intended to be a lawn for rock concerts where you stand butts to nuts, shoulder to shoulder. It was meant to spread out a blanket and sit on your ass. So after the first 7-8 people deep in the lawn it becomes impossible to see, hear, etc.

Tickets to all 3 venues are difficult. Actually, unless your aggressive as fuck about getting tickets you'll be the guy supporting scalpers.... making you part of the problem

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #19
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coombse View Post

Camden- shit hole in a shit hole hood. I call it the "prison yard" Pit is oversold and horrific experience no matter what show you attend. DMB has done some stellar sets there the last few tours.

West Palm Beach - Hot as fuck. I will give you the weather forecast right now. Partly cloudy, hot , humid, high heat index, and a 60% chance of severe storms from 4-8 PM. Parking is free and tailgate scene pretty laid back. Last two tours I was extremely disappointed in set lists.

SPAC- I've been going to SPAC since before a lot of you were born. It's in a state park and you can spend the entire day, hiking, tailgating, attending ballsfest, and typically you're going to see some of the better shows on the tour, especially with it later in the tour. The venue is one of the smallest on the tour with only 5,500 seats BUT there's a balcony there, a perspective you won't get anywhere else. The lawn? Don't bother. It's as bad as the Camden pit. Jam packed and shitty sight lines because of balcony. It was never intended to be a lawn for rock concerts where you stand butts to nuts, shoulder to shoulder. It was meant to spread out a blanket and sit on your ass. So after the first 7-8 people deep in the lawn it becomes impossible to see, hear, etc.

Tickets to all 3 venues are difficult. Actually, unless your aggressive as fuck about getting tickets you'll be the guy supporting scalpers.... making you part of the problem
    What’s with the Camden love, Ed? Last years sets were atrocious! ‘16 wasn’t great in comparison to other 2 night stands either.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
    Prezzy

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB24Illini View Post
    WPB is also great if you like being in 95 degrees and humidity and/or thunderstorms at all times. (I went once in 2015 and will never go back.)

Spac for venue specialness.
    Camden for great sets + cheesesteaks post-show.

Meh, I'm from FL so I guess I'm used to it.
    Prezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #21
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's very easy to find tickets to the Camden shows.

Also at "making you part of the problem".... if someone wants to pay extra for the seats they want to the shows who honestly cares. I'll never understand this mindset. A lot of people don't have time to actively browse the boards/TM drops for tickets so I don't see an issue with them taking the convenient option and spending a few extra bucks.

Also, to answer OP's question - the answer is SPAC.
    Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #22
    josh4127

Shows Seen: 108

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

All do respect, if someone wants to spend more than face, then so be it. If buying that ticket makes them happy and gives them a great show experience then he/ she does not have to explain themselves.

I have only done stubhub for maybe 4-5 shows but it's always been worth it. No one wants to go through scalpers, but it's the world we live in.
    josh4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #23
    lenn

Shows Seen: 103

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I think the answer is different in some ways if you do pit or seats. We always do seats - will not pay up with scalpers so getting better seats takes a lot of work.

Have done WPB/Tampa, SPAC, Deer Creek, Greek (Berkeley) and Gorge (every year). Agree with everything you said - especially WPB - we will not ever go back at that time of year d/t hot and humid temp. Was physically difficult to be outside for 3 hours - must be my Canadian blood!
    Berkeley has the closest viewing of any of these - love that venue - 3 or 4 rows up beside soundboard is my closest view of band ever (from seats). Love the tailgating in line - with a thousand of my favorite people.
    SPAC was a beautiful area but tickets were toughest of any venue.
    Love Deer Creek - people, weather, everything. Tickets not as hard as SPAC.

Going to try Alpine this year (+ Gorge). Can’t get Deer Creek days off. Berkeley would be a bonus!
    Old 01-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
    illinifan

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Guess I'm "part of the problem" then. What an incredibly short sighted comment.

Last edited by illinifan; 01-05-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Grammar
    illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #25
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

My Tour Central Stats

Hey- if you buy from scalpers you suck... if you don't like my position, tough shit. I have been to hundreds of concerts and I am close and always paid face value.

You, as a buyer, condone the shit bags who buy tickets with zero intentions on going.

It is also against what DMB used to stand for.

Comment all you want, justify it how ever you want. You don't have to buy from a scalper. You CHOOSE to. You're fucking lazy and suck

Old 01-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #26
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    What’s with the Camden love, Ed? Last years sets were atrocious! ‘16 wasn’t great in comparison to other 2 night stands either.
    There hasn't been a great set from DMB since 2015 and those weren't that great

Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #27
    illinifan

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey- if you buy from scalpers you suck... if you don't like my position, tough shit. I have been to hundreds of concerts and I am close and always paid face value.

You, as a buyer, condone the shit bags who buy tickets with zero intentions on going.

It is also against what DMB used to stand for.

Comment all you want, justify it how ever you want. You don't have to buy from a scalper. You CHOOSE to. You're fucking lazy and suck
    Haha solid melt.
    illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #28
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by illinifan View Post
    Haha solid melt.
    at least you came up with a standard 1999 internet message board come back, your smack game sucks too

scalpers and people who buy from them suck.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #29
    aircavmike

Shows Seen: 250

DMB Hub Stubs: 38

My Tour Central Stats

What sucks the most is that DMB now scalps their own tickets under the disguise of “premiums” and giving the go ahead to sell “platinums”.
    aircavmike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #30
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Is Camden that tough a ticket? I'm planning on going this year. I always sit in the uppers. Would a pair of uppers each night be tough to come by?
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote