COVID-19/new coronavirus thread - Page 285 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #8521
dontdrink36
not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: COVID-19/new coronavirus thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
Most coronavirus cases are spread by people without symptoms, CDC now says

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/healt...ess/index.html
Yup. I read that a few minutes ago and retracted my statement. Previous data suggested it was rare.
dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #8522
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Yup. I read that a few minutes ago and retracted my statement. Previous data suggested it was rare.
    What "previous data"? It's been widely known that asymptomatic transmission is a possibility and was never thought to be particularly "rare". What's "previous data"? Data from February?

There's a difference between "not agreeing with everything being done" wrt COVID, and having a discussion about testing where you don't even know the publicly known set of facts. This entire discussion centered around you saying it's pointless to get tested if you are asymptomatic. That is just a terrible take. It's wrong on so many levels - most fundamentally your previous view that asymptomatic transmission was "very rare".

If you have a known contact to a positive COVID case, you should absolutely get tested and isolate until you have either a negative test result or have gone ~2 weeks from the known exposure AND still have no symptoms.

And randomized testing could drastically boost our ability to localize stay at home measures and reduce spread. It could make the difference between county/statewide mobility restrictions, and town/district level restrictions. It could save lives, improve tracing, and avoid massive economic damage.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!

Last edited by BTBaboon; 11-29-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #8523
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I just want, badly, one coherent message and plan.

My sister tested positive in October. Quarantined, isolated for a bit (10 days, I think? I'm not sure), then tested negative. Tested again twice before she came back home for Thanksgiving after traveling out of state. The first (last Sunday) was negative, the second (Wednesday) was positive, but that the county is considering it the same case as last month aka she's not contagious, doesn't have to quarantine, etc.

At work I have to fill out a questionnaire asking if I've had direct contact with somebody who's tested positive so I answered yes. Called my boss, told her that yes I have but that person doesn't have to quarantine. Work didn't care, still have to get tested.

Called my doc to ask about a test this morning, they said that I have to quarantine for 14 days, shouldn't even be tested until Thursday (a week after exposure), and that they don't know why, given the negative tests between the positives, she doesn't have to quarantine. They even said that since I'm asymptomatic they wouldn't even test me. Albany County can't test me until Tuesday, 2-5 days (iirc) for test results. I can go to a CVS in cooperstown, 1.5 hours away, for a test tomorrow but still won't have results until Wednesday at the earliest.

Called NYS COVID hotline and they confirmed what the county told her. She's not contagious, I shouldn't be required to take a negative test. I shouldn't've even said I'd been in contact with somebody who tested positive. themoreyouknow.gif. I asked if they can provide anything to work reflecting that, was told no, but try the county that tested my sister.

Called them and they again confirmed that I shouldn't need to be tested by ultimately it's up to my employer. They're trying to see if they can send anything to my boss but as I sit right now I simultaneously am not recommended for a test or any tracing by local and state officials, while my doctor and boss tell me that I do need a test.

This is just all so fucked and bungled.

Last edited by daveshookme; 11-29-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    daveshookme is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #8524
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    What "previous data"? It's been widely known that asymptomatic transmission is a possibility and was never thought to be particularly "rare". What's "previous data"? Data from February?

There's a difference between "not agreeing with everything being done" wrt COVID, and having a discussion about testing where you don't even know the publicly known set of facts. This entire discussion centered around you saying it's pointless to get tested if you are asymptomatic. That is just a terrible take. It's wrong on so many levels - most fundamentally your previous view that asymptomatic transmission was "very rare".

If you have a known contact to a positive COVID case, you should absolutely get tested and isolate until you have either a negative test result or have gone ~2 weeks from the known exposure AND still have no symptoms.

And randomized testing could drastically boost our ability to localize stay at home measures and reduce spread. It could make the difference between county/statewide mobility restrictions, and town/district level restrictions. It could save lives, improve tracing, and avoid massive economic damage.
    There was data from the WHO a few months ago saying it was rare. Thats what I based my opinion on. I said I was wrong on that front. Ill never agree with all the measures being taken. Thankfully I live in a state that isn't overstepping their bounds too much. My life is pretty much normal i just have a mask with me now in case its needed.

Looking forward to this all being over. The medical advancements being made are promising.
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #8525
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Agree with Shook, a coherent plan and implementation of it would be very helpful. The rules and how they are enforced or not make no sense.
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #8526
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No a vaccine is a good idea and thankfully they will be available soon. I think testing just to test like you said you did because there was no line while you were waiting for pizza is ridiculous.

Its dangerous for a select group of people. For the vast majority it isn't. That is a fact. I just read up on asymptomatic spread and current data seams to suggest its more prevalent than previously thought. I will retract that part of my statement. Still think its overblown and a lot of damage has been done for a virus that doesn't require the measures we have been taking.

Like everyone else i want this thing over as quickly as possible. Its okay to not 100% agree with everything being done around it.

Just doing my duty to #stopthespread

My kid is hybrid school, I went to the office one day last week for the first time since March in Boston and a doctors appointment on Monday. Had the time, took a test.
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #8527
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    I just want, badly, one coherent message and plan.

This is just all so fucked and bungled.
    This was a national crisis that deserved a national response. The Federal Government abdicated its duty to its people. The states and localities had to pick up the slack on limited budgets, without the ability to run deficits (like the Federal Government can). Some have done better than others. It is not working well in many, and it's cost people their lives that could have otherwise been saved.

This is the biggest botching of a national crisis ever, in the history of the United States. Hoover-level fuck up from the top.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #8528
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    Just doing my duty to #stopthespread

My kid is hybrid school, I went to the office one day last week for the first time since March in Boston and a doctors appointment on Monday. Had the time, took a test.
    Do whatever you feel you need to. I'm not judging you or anyone else who gets tested. I choose not to but I'm glad its an option for those that want to.
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #8529
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do whatever you feel you need to. I'm not judging you or anyone else who gets tested. I choose not to but I'm glad its an option for those that want to.

Word.

What Gets me is the people that get tested and think that means they are good going forward. Like all the people that rushed to get tested last week so they can travel for thanksgiving.
    Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #8530
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ill never agree with all the measures being taken
    Yeah, no shit. You can't even be bothered to stay informed over the span of a "few months" as new information is available.

You say you don't want the type of restrictions that are necessitated when spread is too high and causing huge excess death, but you disagree with testing - which could prevent spread, save lives, and prevent the need for government restrictions? Like...how is that coherent at all?

Old 11-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #8531
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, no shit. You can't even be bothered to stay informed over the span of a "few months" as new information is available.

You say you don't want the type of restrictions that are necessitated when spread is too high and causing huge excess death, but you disagree with testing - which could prevent spread, save lives, and prevent the need for government restrictions? Like...how is that coherent at all?
    I disagreed with mass testing of asymptomatic people. Thats it. Sorry I wasn't up to date on everything. I'll see myself out.
    Old 11-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #8532
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No a vaccine is a good idea and thankfully they will be available soon. I think testing just to test like you said you did because there was no line while you were waiting for pizza is ridiculous.

Its dangerous for a select group of people. For the vast majority it isn't. That is a fact. I just read up on asymptomatic spread and current data seams to suggest its more prevalent than previously thought. I will retract that part of my statement. Still think its overblown and a lot of damage has been done for a virus that doesn't require the measures we have been taking.

Like everyone else i want this thing over as quickly as possible. Its okay to not 100% agree with everything being done around it.
    As somebody that goes into a critical care hospital every day (and I mean every day, I've had only a few days off in a row a couple times since late March, usually because of exposure testing) this shit is infuriating to read and hear. I personally do not care if someone believes it. If you get it and it goes poorly, I guarantee the bug won't care what you believe. This isn't a faith based issue.

It would be nice for people to use some common sense though. This isn't really personal to you drink and not really trying to single you out, but I just got home a few hours ago from going in yesterday at 11:00 so I'm tired and fried.

EDIT: Was trying to backread a bit. Good news Steng. Really glad to see that and hope your little one gets to feeling better soon.

Last edited by diableri; 11-29-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #8533
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I disagreed with mass testing of asymptomatic people. Thats it. Sorry I wasn't up to date on everything. I'll see myself out.

There should be no limits on testing for any reason whatsoever. It should be available on demand. For anything and anyone, any age. We are 10 months into this.

What a fucking joke.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #8534
    drakan
    Drums!

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is the biggest botching of a national crisis ever, in the history of the United States. Hoover-level fuck up from the top.
    1918 flu?
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #8535
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

I never said testing shouldn't be available. It absolutely should. I said I didnt understand why or necessarily agree with people testing themselves so often when they don't have symptoms. Im glad testing is available for anyone who wants/needs it.

To diableri: thanks for everything you're doing. I know its not easy. I never said the virus wasn't real or not a threat. It absolutely is. I said I disagree with some of the measures and almost all of how they are enforced.

I view and judge everything through the lense of individual liberty. Its my #1 issue by a wide margin. The response to covid has trampled on a lot of that in a lot of areas. I have a problem with that. The unintended consequences are a big deal to me. I'm all for everyone doing whatever they feel they need to protect themselves and others. I never judge anyone for being overly cautious. I choose to live my life as normally as possible. If someone thinks that's wrong or wreckless that's fine. I have ill feelings for that. I do have a problem with someone wanting to use the state to force their views and behaviors on me. That is really the crux of the covid issue and all other issues for me.
    Old 11-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #8536
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Man, to each his own, but I just can't imagine a mindset where I'm asked to do something to keep people around me from potentially getting sick and dying and I'm like, nah, thanks, but I've got the individual liberty to just not do that.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #8537
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Man, to each his own, but I just can't imagine a mindset where I'm asked to do something to keep people around me from potentially getting sick and dying and I'm like, nah, thanks, but I've got the individual liberty to just not do that.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #8538
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's toddler mentality.

I'm thankful for the teenagers that work for me. They wear their mask for their whole shift and never complain. Then I have to deal with grown ass adults who try to refuse to wear one just to pick up a pizza.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 11-29-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #8539
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Ranty spoiler:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

tldr; It ain't just about you.

Last edited by diableri; 11-29-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Old 11-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #8540
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going to bed, love you guys on this stupid message board. Stay healthy.
    Old 11-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #8541
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They simply don’t get it. If they don’t get it almost 9 months in they never will.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #8542
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not opposed to being asked to do things to help my fellow man. I'm against the use of government force. The rules from the beginning have been an ever changing and nonsensical clusterfuck. I do keep physical distance from strangers in public but I literally always have in situations that allow for it. Situations that don't allow for it like sports/concerts/public transit have all been banned or severely altered. I haven't been within 6 feet of someone I didnt know only a handful of times since March. Virtually all of those times everyone consented to be that close to each other. Call me crazy or childish if you're so inclined but I think we should the right to peacefully assemble with consenting people if we choose to.

The government reaction has unsuprisingly been a colossal failure. We've done pretty much everything wrong at all levels from the beginning. I dont want to derail the thread by making it political though.

I'm obviously in the extreme minority on the board and won't change any minds. I don't think its in e erodes best interest from a mental health standpoint to get into a heated internet argument when there is little chance of minds being changed. So I hope everyone does what makes them feel safe throughout this ordeal and wish the best to everyone. Hopefully in the next few months the vaccines can help get us past this.
    Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #8543
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quick update. I tested positive on Tuesday. Today was the first day I felt pretty good all day. Didn’t have to take any over the counter drugs to get through the day. I regained some lung capacity, no fever, my sinus infection and bleeding went away for the most part. The stretch from Tuesday-Saturday was a rough one though. I don’t think I ever had the flu before so that was probably the longest I’ve been sick. I still haven’t left my apartment in over a week. I’m fortunate to not have the respiratory issues. I can’t imagine battling that type of fever and dealing with shortness of breath.

Having Covid gave me a newfound respect for the virus. I knew it was serious but it’s pretty scary when you have it and you’ve seen what it’s done to others, some not too much older than myself (30). It’s real concerning that we have such a callous respect for this virus as a society. The fact that many downplay the severity or are unwilling to sacrifice some small personal freedom to ensure the greater health of country We really cannot afford to go through a similar crisis with such a lack of leadership from our Federal Government.
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #8544
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Also, why do we respect our troops overseas so much?

Part of it has to be that they sacrifice their personal freedoms everyday while they fight fir our country, right?

Well we’re fighting a war against this virus and if it means we as citizens have to sacrifice some of our freedoms fir the greater good, So be it.

Why is it that we can revere those overseas for those sacrifices but we protest when we’re asked to make much smaller sacrifices during this pandemic?

Imagine watching a soldier cower in battle and cheering him on. Look at him, good for him not sacrificing for us! That’s so patriotic that he fended for himself and didn’t save his fellow Americans!
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #8545
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Amazing post. Excellent.
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #8546
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Its dangerous for a select group of people. For the vast majority it isn't. That is a fact.
    Dude, just stop this. You don’t know how this virus has effected people who have not died from it. I still have residual brain fog that may NEVER go away.

Select group of people my fucking ass.
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 02:48 AM   #8547
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Well this backread confirms one of the most consistent axioms on these boards, that dontdrink36 is an ignorant, selfish, childish, petulant, piece of shit.

bUt MuH lIbErTiEs

It’s a fucking deadly virus, you asshole. Just think about someone other than yourself for like half a second.
    Old 11-30-2020, 02:52 AM   #8548
    OK_Ant
    Custom User Title

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

If people only thought in exponentialities. The death of one person usually affects at least five related people. And sickness can have dramatic repercussions despite supposed recovery, which also typically affects more than just the sufferers and caregivers.
    OK_Ant is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 04:18 AM   #8549
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Dontdrink can try to spin this whichever way he wants, to make this about "liberties" or whatever.

Just remember this started with him arguing against widespread testing/testing of asymptomatic people and he thought asymptomatic spread was "very rare".

His problem is one of ignorance influencing terrible takes. Like I said, it's no surprise he doesn't agree with mobility restrictions to reduce spread and death - he doesn't even understand the basic sets of facts surrounding this virus. He's arguing from a place of pure ignorance or stupidity.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #8550
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not opposed to being asked to do things to help my fellow man. I'm against the use of government force. The rules from the beginning have been an ever changing and nonsensical clusterfuck. I do keep physical distance from strangers in public but I literally always have in situations that allow for it. Situations that don't allow for it like sports/concerts/public transit have all been banned or severely altered. I haven't been within 6 feet of someone I didnt know only a handful of times since March. Virtually all of those times everyone consented to be that close to each other. Call me crazy or childish if you're so inclined but I think we should the right to peacefully assemble with consenting people if we choose to.

The government reaction has unsuprisingly been a colossal failure. We've done pretty much everything wrong at all levels from the beginning. I dont want to derail the thread by making it political though.

I'm obviously in the extreme minority on the board and won't change any minds. I don't think its in e erodes best interest from a mental health standpoint to get into a heated internet argument when there is little chance of minds being changed. So I hope everyone does what makes them feel safe throughout this ordeal and wish the best to everyone. Hopefully in the next few months the vaccines can help get us past this.
    If you and other consenting adults lived on an island or in some commune then I'd say go for it, but human interactions in our society aren't that neat and the way this virus spreads is not that straightforward. We have smoking laws and speed limit laws too, to make sure that your individual liberties don't endanger others.

It just feels like your decisions and opinions are based more on a principle that nobody should be able to tell you what to do, rather than a very thorough evaluation of the benefit of what you are being asked to do.

I agree that the government's response, in policy but even moreso in rhetoric, has been a colossal failure, and because of that I have tried to offer a lot of grace to individuals who are making different decisions than me. There are some very complex situations out there, and I do recognize the true mental health tolls and the true economic impact this has had on some. If you are deeply evaluating your actions against serious concerns like this in your life, and otherwise trying as best as you can to limit yourself, we are good. If you are "trying to live life as normal as possible" in the name of individual liberty as a guiding principle, then you are right, we aren't going to find much common ground.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote