yankeesguy86

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB vs U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
You’re underselling how big Big Whiskey was for the band
It was considered a nice return to form, and garnered some nice reviews. However, the 13 years since its release haven't aged it as well as the Big 3.

In fairness, though, the band never got great reviews consistently. I just feel like a completed LWS may have led to a re-appraisal of their music, with critics begrudgingly accepting just how good they were. Wishful thinking, maybe.
02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
yankeesguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-23-2022, 05:08 AM   #32
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Bono and U2 suck
    Old 08-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #33
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

What a fun convo, and it stayed civil which is awesome!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Typical_Ant View Post
    I love them both though a bigger fan of DMB. I've seen U2 twice as opposed to high 30's with DMB.

I think U2 is more universally loved AND hated. Because any thing or person that gets that famous is going to have haters.

I don't really see any comparison in the 2 TBH. Musically or performance wise. U2 is excellent in the studio and has one of if not the best SHOWs I've ever seen. The stage, lights, video etc is always cutting edge and unique.

However the show itself never changes other than a song or two on any given night in a tour. They'll tour for 2.5 years on an album and you could see them 10 times and get a difference of maybe 5 songs. It makes sense because so much more is involved with the production and being on queue with video and lights.

DMB are better musicians. Dave at his best is better than Bono at his best in songwriting if you're looking for lyrics that aren't surface level. Bono can certainly write an anthem, but a lot of his lyrics lack depth that are covered up by being catchy, melodic and easy to sing a long with. That's pop. There is nothing wrong with that IMO.

DMB never really had that universal sing a long hit song outside of of Crash. Yes they have lots of hits, but not on the same level. Where U2 could play 20 greatest hits in a show and EVERYONE knows the words to every song. DMB is going to have play Ants, DDTW, Crash, Everyday, SMTS and Space Between... But what else really has any universal connection for them? Those individual songs don't hold up to any one individual song that U2 has.

And I would like to see the U2 hits again and again. They could and do play Steets, One love, Beautiful Day every night and they don't really get old. With DMB I actually don't want the hits, I want the unique things they do.

I'll take a DMB show any day over u2 though.
    Love what you wrote Typical_Ant, and agree with most of it. The only place we diverge is on U2 as a live band, and the aspect of U2's "quality" that I didn't hear mentioned so much in other comments (a few definitely did mention it) is their power live.

Putting all the true comments about them as more of a popular music band and maybe simpler concepts in their lyrics and lack of variation in their live shows when comparing setlists on any given tour (all true), what I don't think has been raised up enough is that when they're ON, and they're on a lot when they tour, they are a FORCE to be reckoned with.

I've seen U2 probably 12 times (with a huge gap between '96 and 2017), and seen DMB 80 times (but not at all since 2008). And overall I've seen over 1,500 concerts in my life (probably close to 2,000), mainly because for about 25 yrs of my life starting as a teen, my social life was music-centric so my friends and most of my socializing was all around live music.

That said, while neither DMB nor U2 are in my top 5 ever favorite live acts, if I had to pick a top 5 ever of specific concerts, an '85 U2 show would be in that top 5, of over 1,500, because I had shitty seats, had been to the dentist before the show and was in pain, and had the flu, and yet it was powerful beyond words. I have a review of it saved somewhere and the person who wrote it captured all I felt, it was a gamechanger and a lifechanger. And that is NOT about lights and special effects, although I will say that masterful use of staging and how powerful political or emotional messages are presented was definitely part of the powerpunch.

Obviously I love DMB live, given I've seen them 80 times and will probably see them again for 1st time in 14 yrs sometime in next year. And I've had my mouth dropped open in awe at the amazingness of DMB live several times. But I can't say I've ever had that "We were transported to Nirvana, saw God/Goddess, and returned super-charged with magic energy" experiences with DMB, much as I adore so much of their music and their shows.

It still doesn't make one band "better" than another, and I totally agree with whoever said if I could only see 10 shows total between the 2 bands, I'd see U2 3 times on the same tour and DMB 7 because with DMB I'd get 7 different shows. With U2 I'd just get to enjoy amazing songs and the minor differences 3 times.

Also agree that musicianship wise, DMB beats U2 hands down. And yet... U2 can write some songs too, although I do prefer the complexity of DMB songs (whether about world issues, inner struggles or sex), DMB are superior song writers.

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 08-02-2022 at 05:34 PM.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #34
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

On the personal front, I've had the pleasure of having an extended convo with Bono once, and many with Dave, and needless to say both are exceptional human beings and fascinating, endlessly fascinating to talk to. And very different, which also pretty much goes without saying.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #35
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I prefer DMB live, could be because DMB is the best live band I've ever heard
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 04:38 AM   #36
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

The studio recording of wild horses is definitely up there as one of my favorite songs. I remember first hearing it in high school and have loved it ever since. Lillywhites production on that is top notch.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 06:28 AM   #37
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 View Post
    It was considered a nice return to form, and garnered some nice reviews. However, the 13 years since its release haven't aged it as well as the Big 3.

In fairness, though, the band never got great reviews consistently. I just feel like a completed LWS may have led to a re-appraisal of their music, with critics begrudgingly accepting just how good they were. Wishful thinking, maybe.

I think it was actually their best reviewed album, produced 2 big hits for them and was nominated for Album of the Year. That's not nothing if not one of their most successful albums.

I know we've all seen the songs live more than any of us ever hoped to, but lets give it a fair shake. And as an album its pretty well done and still kicks pretty good today.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #38
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely a number of similarities, principally the involvement of Steve Lillywhite
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #39
    Springraces

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I prefer DMB live, could be because DMB is the best live band I've ever heard
    Agreed! They greatly surpass any other major act out there still. There's still some magic happening on stage to this day.
    Springraces is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #40
    CDN-DMBfan

Shows Seen: 43

My Tour Central Stats

I forgot how great U2 was. We were driving home around Christmas and SiriusXM had a retrospective on Actung Baby where the guys talked about each song. That album was stellar, and an amazing follow up to Joshua Tree, which I think is their best. That run from War to AB is an impressive collection of albums/songs.

They also put on a hell of a show, but when you have a fixed set list with a few random slots each night I would hope so. Similar to the Stones, great show but 90% is the same night after night.

DMB/D&Tis still my favourite. Not knowing which song gets played next is more enjoyable.
    CDN-DMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #41
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Springraces View Post
    Agreed! They greatly surpass any other major act out there still. There's still some magic happening on stage to this day.

Looking at it objectively they don't but peak DMB blows everything out of the water in terms of my connection to music and preferences and that kind of thing, even now still great I agree
    Old 08-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #42
    Springraces

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looking at it objectively they don't but peak DMB blows everything out of the water in terms of my connection to music and preferences and that kind of thing, even now still great I agree
    Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing. It's very confusing. I'll lean towards disagreeing because you always disagree with people even when they agree with you.
    Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #43
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Springraces View Post
    Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing. It's very confusing. I'll lean towards disagreeing because you always disagree with people even when they agree with you.

I disagree!
    Old 08-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #44
    Springraces

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I disagree!
    AGHHHHHHHHGGGGHHHHHHH!
    Old 08-06-2022, 12:34 PM   #45
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Huge fan of both U2 and DMB.

U2 wrote some of the best songs I have ever heard. Studio version of A Sort of Homecoming is one of my all-time favorites. Live versions of Bad give me chills every time I listen. JT and Achtung Baby are two of the all-time greatest albums. The Unforgettable Fire is a beautiful album.

DMB's musicality blows U2 out of the water in every way. While U2's live shows were/are amazing spectacles, I'll take DMB's approach every time. I value complicated musicality and improvs being performed live over the spectacle. Not to mention the spontaneity of the setlists each night is something I treasure in DMB. U2 plays the same songs, solos, speeches every single night. DMB's musical prowess allows them to play so many different songs in so many different ways every night. Its something we all take for granted.

I respect both bands for what they have given to music history.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.

Last edited by Dave&Tim41; 08-06-2022 at 12:36 PM.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote