General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year - Page 705 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #21121
Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year

Jenn/Todd, any thoughts on 2021?
Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #21122
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

This could go two ways, as I see it. The band is so excited to play again and comes out swinging with new songs, rarities, and sound tighter than they have in years.....
    Or, they’re excited to tour but stick with the same sets they had before 2020 and the excuse is “they haven’t played together in two years, so give them a break”...

I think it could be some version of the first scenario. Dave seemed to step up in the last year and dig deep. His voice sounds better than it has in years and he seems to be in a loose creative space. That could breed a great tour.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #21123
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    This could go two ways, as I see it. The band is so excited to play again and comes out swinging with new songs, rarities, and sound tighter than they have in years.....
    Or, they’re excited to tour but stick with the same sets they had before 2020 and the excuse is “they haven’t played together in two years, so give them a break”...

I think it could be some version of the first scenario. Dave seemed to step up in the last year and dig deep. His voice sounds better than it has in years and he seems to be in a loose creative space. That could breed a great tour.
    To be honest, it seemed like things were going to go in the direction of Scenario A even before the pandemic hit. The Feb 2020 show in Vegas was kind of wild. http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...162&where=2020

Opening with Granny, and a set including The Riff, Stolen Away, Beach Ball, Sweet Up & Down, What You Are, Lying In the Hands of God, plus new Jimi Thing outro into Tell Me Something Good, and a first time cover of Long Train Runnin'.

Even if you don't like much of the above, you have to admit this was not a same ol' set.

I have to believe this unplanned long break has done nothing but reinforce the frame of mind Dave was in when he wrote that setlist.
    Old 05-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #21124
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I’m going into this pretty optimistically. I think they will be itching to bust out their classic tunes, plus it’s their 30th anniversary. I’m hoping for sets full of classic songs with a few rairities as well as just a few newer tunes (big whiskey +) sprinkled in each set.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #21125
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm expecting a bunch of random songs to be played when they come back that people are excited to see, have that become the standard group of songs played, fans get frustrated it's always a variation of the same mix, Dave's voice goes downhill as the tour goes on and he pushes too hard. So ... just like most years.

I'm very excited to have it all back in general and see them play, was very happy with the direction of their sound and looking forward to getting more of it!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #21126
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I’m very optimistic for 2021 and looking forward to it. Have 8 shows planned as of right now. I think the tour opening run will be very exciting.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #21127
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Given how early in the tour this is for Tampa compared to normal, I'm really considering not checking out the setlists before my show. Normally I know I can't go 30 shows without my curiosity getting the best of me, so I just setlist watch from the get go.

On the flip side, there should still be plenty of tour debuts after only 3 shows in and it's not a small enough sample size to get an idea of any patterns and regularities, so it's not like I'm really spoiling anything if I check.

Hmmmm....
    Old 05-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #21128
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I'm expecting a bunch of random songs to be played when they come back that people are excited to see, have that become the standard group of songs played, fans get frustrated it's always a variation of the same mix, Dave's voice goes downhill as the tour goes on and he pushes too hard. So ... just like most years.

I'm very excited to have it all back in general and see them play, was very happy with the direction of their sound and looking forward to getting more of it!
    Yea, if taking 2017 off didn't really change Dave's mentality toward writing sets, I don't think this break will either. He might play a few rarities we haven't seen in awhile to start off the tour, but I expect them to fade away as the tour progresses like usual. I think sets are going to be as formulaic as they were in 2018 and 2019.

Just excited to have something to look forward to. Matters way more than what they play at this point.
    Old 05-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #21129
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Yea, if taking 2017 off didn't really change Dave's mentality toward writing sets, I don't think this break will either. He might play a few rarities we haven't seen in awhile to start off the tour, but I expect them to fade away as the tour progresses like usual. I think sets are going to be as formulaic as they were in 2018 and 2019.

Just excited to have something to look forward to. Matters way more than what they play at this point.

Yep, past year has been hell, play whatever and I'll have a blast
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #21130
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
    To be honest, it seemed like things were going to go in the direction of Scenario A even before the pandemic hit. The Feb 2020 show in Vegas was kind of wild. http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...162&where=2020

Opening with Granny, and a set including The Riff, Stolen Away, Beach Ball, Sweet Up & Down, What You Are, Lying In the Hands of God, plus new Jimi Thing outro into Tell Me Something Good, and a first time cover of Long Train Runnin'.

Even if you don't like much of the above, you have to admit this was not a same ol' set.

I have to believe this unplanned long break has done nothing but reinforce the frame of mind Dave was in when he wrote that setlist.
    Agreed! And I hope the live by request shows really showed him the DMB fans like the deep tracks too. I mean if the last one alone is any indication there’s a lot of love for songs that don’t get a ton of set time.. I think Dave had wrongly assumed that fans want to hear the hits and play 1 or 2 deep tracks every few shows.. I hope that has changed. We want more variety and less of the radio hits..
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #21131
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post

Totally different.. they lost a core member and added a new one with a new album..
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #21132
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Is Butch back?